Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Crests for Trail/XC use

I just got a Cannondale Trigger 29er1. It comes stock with Stans Crests for some strange reason. I'd like to know how these wheels are holding up for people who use them for everyday trail riding, not just XC type racing/riding. Are they more durable than they are billed? I know the quality of the wheel build makes a difference, these or OE. I can't afford to build up new wheels right now so the Crests will have to do for now. I'm coming off riding hard tails so I'm more used to picking smoother lines, but I'm 200lbs plus with riding gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are too heavy for trails on these rims imo. If you could drop 75 then maybe.
    You should be able to get by on ArchEx rims. I haven't checked Stans tech info but you may be able to just change the rims for the low cost option.(did check- Crest is ERD 605 ArchEx 606) Spend something now and avoid more later. The ArchEx rims can handle more spoke tension to better remain true also.
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-02-2013 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Too heavy for trails on these rims imo. If you could drop 75 then maybe.
    You should be able to get by on ArchEx rims. I haven't checked Stans tech info but you may be able to just change the rims for the low cost option. Spend something now and avoid more later. The ArchEx rims can handle more spoke tension to better remain true also.
    He said CREST, they are lighter than the ARCH. Personally, from what I have been reading about these, they are too light for Trail, strictly for XC and are not the stiffest either.....

turtles make me hot
    I've been truing Crests for a guy that's about 6'7" and 235 pounds.
    After doing another one, I finally asked why he's on Crests. He says he's getting Arches. I said how about Flows?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Good suggestion. I am amazed he still has his teeth......

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Stans Crest wheel weight limit (rider and all gear) is 190lbs (1690g for set with Stans hubs). The Arch EX has a 220lbs weight limit (wheelset with Stans Hub is 1775grams). Flows go to a 250lbs limit (1935g with their hub). The Flows are the widest, best for serious all-mountain; Arch EX can do some all-mountain and XC duty; Crests for XC only.

I have a set of Arch Ex. I weigh 195lbs ready-to-ride (including water bottle on bike). I ride a 24lbs XC bike (w/o water bottle). I like the wheels. The do have some minor flex. I have friends who ride Crests and they have a good bit of flex (read: wet noodles). I also know some folks on Flows on big travel 29ers who proclaim they have no flex whatsoever.

Check out the No Tubes website. It shows some good cut-away profile images for each rim as well full specs.

It is best to get equipment for the 90% of the riding one does. ALS650L ,it sounds like you will like the Arch EX more. Maybe your LBS will trade you straight over for the wheels?

mtbr member

Crests for Trail/XC use

I am 170lbs and use a set of hand built Crests for both XC and trail duty. True after two seasons with medium aggressive riding.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 80kg, + gear and also use a handbuilt wheelset with Crest rims. I've put em through hell over the last 2 months and they're still dead true.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 195lbs plus gear and have Crest on 2 bikes. Over 1,500 XC/trail miles on them since November 2012. Still true. I have the Stan's 330 hubs. One set from Pro Bike Supply and one from Universal. I have one set on a rigid El Mariachi and one on a Bandersnatch hardtail. I had originally ordered the Archs from Pro Bike and they sent Crest by mistake. I talked to the owner and he gave me a nice discount. He did ask me my weight and said I would be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have been running the same set of Crest / Hope Pro 2 combo for the last 18 months on both my rigid and full sus bikes. The wheel set has still yet to be trued. I am however running the DT 2.0mm spokes. Coming in at a 185lbs. I have another set of Crests with Std ZTR hubs and lighter spokes, there is real difference in how these 2 wheelsets ride. I do prefer the hand built set. Just at a guess I am at about 1500kms on the Crest / Hopes. Depending on how you ride they will go the distance.

mtbr member
    Built my own wheels with Crests, I weigh about 72 kg (156 lbs) without gear. I ride pretty aggressively and sometimes after hitting stuff I need to true them, but nothing major. A lighter riding style would probably eliminate this. My rear wheel is built around a SS hub so it's quite rigid thanks to having the flanges further apart and reduced dish.

For anyone heavier I'd only recommend them for light trail / XC use.

mtbr member
    I'm going to run these for awhile, mostly because I can't afford a new wheelset right now. I think when the time comes I'll be going Flow EX with a Hope rear and Cannondale Lefty front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've ridden Crest's on my Pivot 429 for two years, with 240s. My all in ride weight goes from 170-195 (put on the winter lbs). Never had a problem with the rims, stayed true blue! I ride Front Range colorado stuff all the time, and beat the hell out of them every spring/fall in Moab.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've never had a problem with Crests coming out of true. However, I've broken 2 crest rear wheels in the past year. I weight 150lbs in gear.

mtbr member
    smooth riding style son!!!! LOL

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    smooth riding style son!!!! LOL
    LMAO. I was wondering if you were gonna see this.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I personally would not recommend them for trail riding. And make sure that you keep your eye on the spoke tension as the wheels come out of the box with the spokes practically falling out of them half of the time lol

Formerly of Kent
    You are too heavy for trails on these rims imo. If you could drop 75 then maybe.
    You should be able to get by on ArchEx rims. I haven't checked Stans tech info but you may be able to just change the rims for the low cost option.(did check- Crest is ERD 605 ArchEx 606) Spend something now and avoid more later. The ArchEx rims can handle more spoke tension to better remain true also.
    Quote Originally Posted by fordtraitor19 View Post
    I personally would not recommend them for trail riding. And make sure that you keep your eye on the spoke tension as the wheels come out of the box with the spokes practically falling out of them half of the time lol
    Seriously, what the hell does this mean?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My Crests lasted 6 months before I got rid of them.
    The rear wheel was trued at least 6 times and they didn't feel particularly stiff.
    Mine were the stock Stan's build, so a set of quality hand built wheels might last longer.
    I weigh 175 and only ride XC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    I'm going to run these for awhile, mostly because I can't afford a new wheelset right now. I think when the time comes I'll be going Flow EX with a Hope rear and Cannondale Lefty front.
    Did you see this sale?

Stan's Arch Ex Rim Hope PRO2 29Er Wheel > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Crests have a spoke tension limit of 100kgf. They used to list the limit as 90. What this means on a rear wheel is 100 on the drive side but you have to dish the wheel. The none drive side may be 65-75.to get the correct dish. When you are loading the ND side in a curve and hit chatter or roots the low tension will allow the wheel to flex and unload some spokes to zero tension. The nipples can spin with vibration and the wheel go out of true.
    The ArchEX has a spoke tension limit of 125 so the ND side can be 95 and less flexy in curves.
    How can you check this? Use a standard wheel building step.
    Put the wheel on the floor with the hub and rim on your side resting on a couple magazines for protection. Kneel on the rim(or another mag) and push down the rim opposite where you are kneeling. The more pressure you have to apply to flex the rim up to a point the better.
    Crests will flex easily on one side.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately that doesn't help me. I have a 12X142 rear and a Lefty Front. To top it off the 130mm travel Lefty SuperMax uses a 10mm wider lefty hub. I guess Cannondale makes an adapter to use a normal Lefty hub though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Unfortunately that doesn't help me. I have a 12X142 rear and a Lefty Front. To top it off the 130mm travel Lefty SuperMax uses a 10mm wider lefty hub. I guess Cannondale makes an adapter to use a normal Lefty hub though.
    Hoe hubs are convertible so it's still save you on the rear wheel.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Custom Wheel Builder
    Nov 2012
    The new wider Lefty hub will fit any other Lefty. The new hub is a good deal, 10mm wider flange spacing is huge. that should help stiffen things up a bit even with the Crests. Same goes for the rear, 142mm spacing will give you a better tension ratio. the ArchEX 29er rim has the same ERD so they can be rebuilt and keep the spokes.
    www.wheelwerks.us
    sales@wheelwerks.us
    Dealers for Chris King, Stan's, Lupine and more

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Crests have a spoke tension limit of 100kgf. They used to list the limit as 90. What this means on a rear wheel is 100 on the drive side but you have to dish the wheel. The none drive side may be 65-75.to get the correct dish. When you are loading the ND side in a curve and hit chatter or roots the low tension will allow the wheel to flex and unload some spokes to zero tension. The nipples can spin with vibration and the wheel go out of true.
    The ArchEX has a spoke tension limit of 125 so the ND side can be 95 and less flexy in curves.
    How can you check this? Use a standard wheel building step.
    Put the wheel on the floor with the hub and rim on your side resting on a couple magazines for protection. Kneel on the rim(or another mag) and push down the rim opposite where you are kneeling. The more pressure you have to apply to flex the rim up to a point the better.
    Crests will flex easily on one side.
    ...yet there are legions of people who ride them and are happy with them for many, many miles. As evidenced above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast