mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Crests on a Rigid Fork?

So I'm about 120- 130 pounds, and I live in Tucson which is pretty damn rocky, I ride a Niner carbon fork. Does anyone have any experience with Stan's Crest Rims on a rigid bike? Is it a good idea? I do ride relatively hard, but I'll be running pretty low pressure on front and back. I'm looking for weight savings so I want to go with the Crest's, but am considering getting Arch's. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I don't think rigid or sus fork is a question at all: it depends entirely on how you ride.

I weigh a bit over 70 kg (156-159 lbs depending on the day) and I have Crests on my fully rigid 29er. Tires are 2.35 Nobby Nics tubeless, sometimes as low as 15-16 psi for the cush and grip. I was also considering Archs but went with Crests.

Crests will require good spokes and the proper tension - not too little, but not too much either. Initially I left the tension a bit too low, because I didn't take into account that installing and inflating the tire drops spoke tension - and the difference was quite noticeable on these! I used DT Comps like on almost all the wheels I've built and they've been fine. Some advice against aluminum nipples. I went with Polyax, greased the cone and haven't had any trouble.

"Relatively hard" is an ambiguous expression. I thought I ride quite delicately, but I've gone over roots and rocks with the rims bottoming out every once in a while. Sometimes I hit a hole in the ground and go over the bars. A friend of mine says our riding style is "trial and error".

The crashes have required some truing afterwards, but I still trust the wheels. Weight saving isn't worth it if you constantly worry about stuff breaking: you end up riding slower and don't enjoy it as much.

mtbr member
    yup, I ran crests on my bike, rigid and squishy, no issues either way, the way I ride. ~170 geared up.

Fat & Single
    Was 200lb when i ran crests for nearly 1 year on a WB carbon fork then changed to a Niner carbon fork, only changed them because i bought enve wheels. Sold the crests to a guys and he is still riding them 18months later.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks a bunch for the advice! Yes i think i could call my style trial and error as well. As soon as I start to ride, especially on a rigid fork, I mainly concentrate on the trail which in some way helps me pick better lines, so I'm optimistic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As others have said...it's really gonna depend on how hard you ride. I think you'll be just fine on the crests considering your weight. I'd imagine that if you hit something or crashed hard enough to break the wheel...it probably would happen to the arches as well. I have the arch ex w/ Stan's 3.30 hubs and they have handled my weight. I'm usually between 190-200 lbs all year. I'm actually very tempted to purchase a set of the crests to have a lighter weight set for my second bike. It's hard to beat any of the Stan's wheels for the price.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I broke two crests last year. Broke one going through a rough creek crossing and another rear broke hitting a 1 inch tall (if that) root going down hill while sitting in the saddle. I replaced it with a arch ex with no problems. I know the wheels were built correctly as I built them myself. I still run a crest up front and it's beat to hell. I'm about 145 lbs riding a hardtail in Texas.