mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Crankbros Candy 1

Just picked up these pedals yesterday. I have a some existing issues with my feet/ankle and lost around 20-25% mobility. Can I offset the cleat to make getting out a little easier? Even with the 15 degree it's still somewhat difficult to get out of the pedal. Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You should be able to a few things with the cleats on the pedals. Most of the cleats can be moved around a bit to accommodate the different angles of your foot through the pedaling cycle. If by "offset" you mean off center, the cleats can be slid one way or the other for a different center point on the shoe. They can also be angled to better line up. From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong, please) Crank Brothers pedals offer quite a bit of latitude for moving your foot around, and I think SPDs from Shimano have less play - thus, the Shimanos might be easier to get out of.

I'd play around with the cleat angle on your Candies to see if you can come up with a suitable setup for your needs.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've got the same complaint about my Candy 2's. They are my first clipless pedal, and I read that they are better than SPDs for people with bad knees, but they sure are tough to get out of sometimes. I'm getting tired of falling over. I've tried adjusting the cleats, still no luck. Hope you figure it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions, I put the cleat on the 15 degree setting and adjusted the cleat offset to the left a little, I'm able to get out really easy now and they have been fantastic. I'll never go back to platforms again.

mtbr member
    One thing you may have already done...check to ensure the "knobbies" on your shoes are not interferring with with the pedal. My shoes do a little bit, but I kind of like it as I always ran my SPD's really tight. If they are, I believe Crank Bros sells a spacer kit or you can use a razor blade to cut the knobs down some.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I used the spacer kit and have no interference.

mtbr member

Crankbros Candy 1

Sweet. I am answering from my phone and some how did not see your post before mine Slurpee- disregard! Lol

Hope they end up working out. I started using egg beaters (standard style) after 15+ years of SPD's for the amount of float they have. I have bunions and being able to move my feet around a little while riding longer distance really helps. Now I love them and would have rode them just because!

Sent from your Moms phone.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"