Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A couple of general questions

788 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  skikarl 
#1 ·
Ok so I have component questions just for future reference. I don't plan on upgrading much at the moment because I need to get my skill level up first but I do have a couple things in mind. First, I just got some clipless pedals. I'm a little nervous about learning to ride them but I feel like a little more efficiency in the pedaling would be nice. My next upgrade will be swapping out my mechanical brakes for hydraulic.
Here's where I have questions though. First, I notice some people prefer the full rigid over front suspension. What are the pros and cons there?
Also, I notice a lot of people talking about upgraded wheels. Is there a big performance difference or is it mostly a weight issue?
Is there a benefit to changing the drivetrain to a 2x... setup? I basically never use my 3rd ring up front so I'm wondering if that would benefit me only riding trails.
I have a 2014 Specialized Hardrock and I know it's not the fanciest or lightest bike out there. I do, on the other hand, think I'll be riding this bike for a solid 5ish years because even in motocross, I don't really see the need in buying the latest an greatest. I went the entry level route because I wasn't sure I would be totally committed but I have totally fallen in love with the sport. Is my bike worth upgrading over time if I plan to keep it that long? Or would it be like putting nice rims on a hoopty? I really like my bike a lot and I've always believed it's more about the rider than the bike but I also don't want to be throwing money away with upgrades on a bike that might not be worth it if you know what I mean.
Im sure I'll have more and these aren't really things I'm looking at changing right now. Like I said, I'll need to upgrade my skill level a lot before I upgrade my bike but I'd just like to know for in the future.

See less See more
#2 ·
As for clip less pedals they will take awhile to get use to.
Adjust the release tension to very light and put your handle bar against a wall and practice un clipping be for you go out riding.
Don't worry if you for get your clipped in when you fall you will just stay attached to your bike it's has happen to me a couple times it's kinda funny.
As for wheel up grades yes a good set of lighter wheels with good hubs will be noticed if I were you I would ride your new bike for awhile.
As for drive train I would run what you got until you need to replace it by that time you might change your mind and want a new bike.
With that in mind if you do buy a wheel set make sure the hubs have inter changable end caps so they will work on your next bike.
Welcome to the addiction have fun look for bike groups in your area to ride with it all ways helps to have others to learn from and that know where the trails are.

#3 ·
Ya for sure. I'm not really asking because I want to upgrade. Like I said, I'm happy with what I have to improve my skill level, but I'm just more interested what different upgrades have to offer and how different setups effect handling and performance.
Basically I just want a little education about bike components, not advice on what to upgrade. I already know I only want to upgrade my brakes right now, and the rest would probably just happen if I break something and need to replace it.
I've read a lot about how people prefer clipless. Would you guys say it's a good move for single track and some xc cat 3 racing? I'm a little nervous because the trails I usually ride are a little rocky but I've gotten to the point where I can basically ride a solid 10 mile loop with only dabbing my foot a time or two.

#4 ·
New wheels have two major improvements. One being weight, that helps with being able to get up to speed faster, and stop more quickly. And a lighter more sensitive front end. Letting you get a better feel for the tail and know when you are going over your limit of skill/traction. And the second being a stronger rim or the ability to fit larger tiers. New/better hubs mean lighter in general and also stronger reliability. The 2x10 vs 3x10 thing is also mostly weight driven. Because there are less rings, and simpler front derailleurs/shifters. Full ridged is like, the purest of the pure when it comes to riding. It's like a manual transmission car. It takes more skill to get the same job done.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.