Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Converting Shimano M785 crank double 2x10 into 1x10 setup.

I want to convert my Shimano M785 crank double 2x10 into 1x10 setup.

Where I ride is I always climb steep hill and and downhill. In short its similar to super enduro in europe. During the steep climb i usually use the 26t.

Which chainring size do you recommend, the 32t or 34t?

turtles make me hot
    I'd use the 32. That's what I'm running on my bike now with an 11-36 ten speed cassette on the rear. I climb pretty much anything with it.
    BUT... It sounds like you're climbing steeper stuff than I have on my home trails.
    Maybe see if a Wolftooth Components 30 tooth is available for your cranks.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'd use the 32. That's what I'm running on my bike now with an 11-36 ten speed cassette on the rear. I climb pretty much anything with it.
    BUT... It sounds like you're climbing steeper stuff than I have on my home trails.
    Maybe see if a Wolftooth Components 30 tooth is available for your cranks.
    32t is that enough for downhill to pick up speed?

is possible to use the long cage XTR shadow plus rather than changing it to shorter cage?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Those chainring are expensive. Im thinking to get the SLX, XT 32T or FSA 34T. which only cost between $20 to $40.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    32t is that enough for downhill to pick up speed?

is possible to use the long cage XTR shadow plus rather than changing it to shorter cage?
    You talked about going uphill.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you need the gearing for both fast uphills and downhills, do you really need 1X10? I ran 1X10 for over a year racing in the WORS series and I just converted back to the stock 2X10 on my Epic

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    They may be more expensive than a conventional chain ring, but how many chain rings can be run without any chain guide? You can't use a standard shifting chainring unless you run some form of guide which 1/2 defeats the weight savings you get with a single front.

To the OP. I suggest you try your local tails and work out how much gearing you are using. Even a 24t front can still produce some decent speed. I am converting my bike to single right now and I went with a 30t to start out as normally I only use the 32 middle when riding trails and never top out. I figure this will be only marginally harder than my old 24-36 combo (max granny) due to the big drop in weight that I have to push up the hill.

BTW: single front allows almost any rear derailer as even a small cage with cover all gears. I believe the general wisdom is the smaller the cage, the better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDragoon View Post
    They may be more expensive than a conventional chain ring, but how many chain rings can be run without any chain guide? You can't use a standard shifting chainring unless you run some form of guide which 1/2 defeats the weight savings you get with a single front.

To the OP. I suggest you try your local tails and work out how much gearing you are using. Even a 24t front can still produce some decent speed. I am converting my bike to single right now and I went with a 30t to start out as normally I only use the 32 middle when riding trails and never top out. I figure this will be only marginally harder than my old 24-36 combo (max granny) due to the big drop in weight that I have to push up the hill.

BTW: single front allows almost any rear derailer as even a small cage with cover all gears. I believe the general wisdom is the smaller the cage, the better.

24T is not enough for picking up speed in downhill. Most of the time I shift to 38T on downhill.

I can also climb 200m to 600m using the 38T.

The reason I want to convert to 1x10 is less shifting and faster to shift gears.

Do you think the long cage XTR won't have any problem with 1x10 setup?

turtles make me hot
    Long will work but you don't have a need for it with a single up front. It may actually cause more chain slap and dropped chains. Is it a clutch type?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Long will work but you don't have a need for it with a single up front. It may actually cause more chain slap and dropped chains. Is it a clutch type?
    my original rear derailler is Shimano XTR SHADOW plus, it reduces chain slap/drop. similar tech to SRAM type 2. I don't want to spend too much in converting my drivetrain to 1x10, because my mrs is getting angry lol

I'm looking at this FSA 34T FSA DH Alloy CNC Chainring 3mm | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Do you think its fully compatible with Shimano m785 crank arm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I recently decided to convert to 1x10 from 2x10 and found this site extremely helpful for deciding what size chainring to get. http://www.gear-calculator.com/

Hit the compare button and you can look at your current setup side-by-side with different single chainring sizes. If you pay attention to what gears you use while riding, it should only take a couple minutes to figure out what will work best for you with a 1x10 setup.

I decided to get a 28t Wolf Tooth SRAM direct mount and a 11-36 XT cassette. Compared with my current 12-36 with 26/39 chainrings, I'm losing about 1/2 a gear on the low end and my top two gears which I almost never use anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I only start to spin out my 32x11 around 25 mph on the road. You would need a long, straight section of trail to begin to worry about running out of gear on the trail.

If you're accustomed to using the 26T on climbs, which cog are you using in the back? I'd pay more attention to your low-range gearing than your top end.

In regard to cage length, the long cage would work fine; you would just need to shorten your chain appropriately. A short cage would be optimal, though. I'm using a non-clutch short cage with my 1x10 and get very little chain slap. It's also a little less likely to get caught on something.

You could sell your derailleur, buy a short cage used, and you won't lose anything in the process.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rode my bike this morning, the whole time I left the crankset to 38T. I can still managed to climb steep hills.

I purchased the e.thirteen 34T 104PCD, hopefully this is fully compatible with Shimano M785 crank arm.

I would like to purchase the proper chain guide but my Trance x 2013 has no ISCG it will cost additional $70 in Australia plus it will be added weight. So I ordered the e.thirteen XCX-ST direct mount, has anyone of your has experience which this chain retention system?

What do you think about the quality and durability of e.thirteen products?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sounds good. I don't know if that chainring is 1x specific but if it is then when combined with the clutch on your rear derailler you may not even require a chain guide. My new setup is 1x10 with nochain guide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by devinakbv View Post
    I ran 1X10 for over a year racing in the WORS series and I just converted back to the stock 2X10 on my Epic
    May I know your reason for choosing 2x10 over 1x10?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am curious for the reaeon too. For me it is simply a case of getting rid of the gears I rarley touch and the weight penalty that goes with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Can you use the Shimano Saint M820 shadow+ with 11-36 cassette?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My 30t WolfTooth ring showed up today so I mounted it up (making a 1x10 etup) and went to do some laps round the local park. There is a 3.1k loop there that is paved, mostly flat with one climb that is approx 500m total with two flat sections. Lots of road bikes are there everyday training. I did 4 laps quickly just to try out the setup and see if there were any problems but it all ran great. I noticed that shifting was better but unsure why as I replaced the rear XT SGS Shadow with a XT SG Shadow+ to go with the new setup and it is pretty much the same thing. Gearing wise I averaged 30kph with a max of 41.4kph on the downhill bit. I could easily imagine myself getting up to approx 50kph with that same gearing which is plenty fast enough for offroad.

So overall I think the single worked well especially considering the amount of weight you dump in the process. Chances are I will be visting "hell" this weekend and if "it is on" then we will see how fast the same setup goes up this monster climb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    Can you use the Shimano Saint M820 shadow+ with 11-36 cassette?
    I just read two reviews both saying that running a 36t was no problem. Not sure why you would want a DH derailler for when you could get the SLX is GS shadow+ for 1/2 the price and it would be lighter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Converting Shimano M785 crank double 2x10 into 1x10 setup.-photo.jpgConverting Shimano M785 crank double 2x10 into 1x10 setup.-photo-1.jpg

The parts that I ordered from wiggle arrive this morning. I fitted the 34T e.thirteen chain ring and chain retention system.

It runs very well, I didn't have any chain drop on the trail this afternoon, even with big jump and 20 minutes of downhill ride.

surely it worth the effort to convert to 1x10 because I find my bike is lighter and faster to shift. I got no problem climbing sleep hill this after after approximately 2km.

When the medium cage spare parts for my XTR Shadow+ arrive in 4 to 6 week I will change it to medium, but I don't have any problem with long chain apart occasionally small twigs get caught up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Nice setup. I have run my 1x10 a few times now (30t chainring) and haven't had a single problem running out of gears in either direction. I run a Wolftooth chainring with a shadow+ mech and no chain guide and it works unreal. In fact I should have dropped my chain at last weekends racemeet. I have a habit of having my outside foot forward when I turn hard so when I go through S turns I switch my pedal postion (usually pedalling backwards). I did this during the last race on a very bumpy section at speed and the chain stayed put! Its amazing how good the Wolftooth ring is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I really liking this 1x10 setup its faster to shift. I was thinking not to add chain guide, but I do some big jump and prolonged downhill ride.

It took me 1 hour to clean and convert my drivetrain to 1x10. the most time consuming is the shortening the chain, because the X-tool chain tool that I used broke so I have manually shortening using nail and hammer .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

RE: Converting Shimano M785 crank double 2x10 into 1x10 setup.

What's the lightest, most unobtrusive chain guide for this crank? I just ordered the same crank for my current 29er build with the intention of going 1x10. The middle cog is 32. I was going to just roll with that, but it sounds like an aftermarket with longer teeth is the way to go. Still, drops are downers. Even giving back some weight gains, I would want a guide.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I purchased the E.thirteen XCX-ST Chain retention direct mount. it only weighs 54grams.
    wiggle.com.au | e.thirteen XCX-ST Direct Mount Chain Retention Top Guide | Chain Devices And Bash Guards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast