mtbr member

Converting a 3x9 to a 2x9 or 2x10????

I'm looking to convert my Tried and True Asylum from a 3x9 to a 2x9 or 2x10 and just looking for some confirmation of what I can (and can't) do or will need to make the change.

2x9 is pretty simple - just need a new 2x crankset. Can I use a 2x10 crankset with a 9 speed chain? I'm using XO grip shifters so no need to change anything out there.

Is it possible to change to a 2x10?
    Rear hub is a WTB hub, 9 speed....I assume it's 10 speed compatible???
    So if I can go 10 speed I assume this is what I'd need: 2x10 crankset, 10 speed rear shifter (do they make a 10 speed grip shifter?), 10 speed cassette and chain. Is my current XO rear derailleurs ratio 10 speed compatible?

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    The 10 speed cassette will fit where the 9 speed one does. The derailleur needs to be changed.
    I believe there are ten speed gripshifters now.
    I've done a 1x10 recently and a 2 x 10. On both, I used Salsa rings. They say they're for 9 speed chains but I've had no problems. I also have the same Shimano 32 tooth chainring on my 9 speed bike as my buddy has on his ten, so it doesn't seem to be such a big deal.
    I like turtles

Bite Me.
    To go 2x9 just remove the big chainring and replace with a bashguard. Reset the high limit screw on the front derailleur and you're done - no need for a new crankset. You can do the same thing if you go 2 x 10.

To convert to 10 speed you will need a new cassette, shifter, chain, and rear derailleur. Not really worth it for one extra cog IMO.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    SS that thing. Sorry, i'm no help.
    What did you put in that sandwich?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    To go 2x9 just remove the big chainring and replace with a bashguard. Reset the high limit screw on the front derailleur and you're done - no need for a new crankset. You can do the same thing if you go 2 x 10.

To convert to 10 speed you will need a new cassette, shifter, chain, and rear derailleur. Not really worth it for one extra cog IMO.
    This ^^^

Here is the bash to fit that XTR crankset
    Blackspire - RingGodX | Blackspire

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    2x10 gripshift is available, but quite expensive for 1 extra cog - $200+ for shifters as I understand. I would stick with 2x9 until prices come down on the 10speed shifters. I'm using 3x9 gripshift too, and I am thinking about going 2x9. I won't give up the gripshifters, though.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The 10 speed grip shifters make even the X0 9 speed grip shifters feel like toys.

I am running 9 speed (Dyna-Sys) rings on a 10 speed SLX crankset on a 10 speed system. I went with 22/36, with the 36t chainring made for the 9 speed SLX 22/36 crankset. It is made to work with a 22t small chainring in that the ramped section is of a smaller diameter (makes the chainring look kind of . . . . thick/deep) so the chain drops straight down further before being ramped over toward the small chainring. It may be much ado about nothing, but I can say it works great for the bike I am riding (2011 Anthem X 29er).

The part number for the 36t chainring I am using is: Y-1KG-98050

SLX M665 36t 104mm 9spd Middle Chainring Black 689228277175 | eBay

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post

Good advice right here. Slap a bash guard on it and save your money for other riding gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is this 2x9 setup 29er specific? Are there no mods in this forum?

King of Middle Earth
    I'm using a 10 speed chain on my 2X9 set up. No problem.