Thumbs Up!

Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection RTR Black Chili

I got my new Conti RTR Protection Black Chili today . There are no marking on the tire that indicate that it was made anywhere other than Germany. It fit on the rim easily (American Classic non tubeliss ready) I did not get the weight because the LBS mounted it for me. I can't wait to see how this black Chili rides here in southeast PA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection RTR Black Chili-tirecont.jpg  

Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection RTR Black Chili-tirecont1.jpg  

Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection RTR Black Chili-tirecont2.jpg  

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

Thumbs Up!
    Black Chili
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection RTR Black Chili-tirecont3.jpg  

Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    weight?

banned
    The packaging clearly states "Hand made in Germany".

mtbr member
    The new Protection casing is much more substantial than the previous protection layer. Feels very similar to a UST tire.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    The packaging clearly states "Hand made in Germany".
    Yeah I hear you. There was another tread discussing how there was some confusion due their different names and models.
    Mike Tyson

Thumbs Up!
    mini review

I took a short ride with the Conti today. It was set up in the front at 24psi. The conditions were dry hardpack. It seemed to roll fast and the cornering was very grippy.

I went and bought 3 more.
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Could you please measure it and let us know what it's real width is.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Curious about these, especially since we ride the same conditions.

I tried an old MK on the front of my 26er a few summers ago and thought that it was the worst tire I ever bought. Then it tried to kill me on a loose surface at brandywine. Ok... I grabbed too much front brake, maybe I tried to kill me. But the thing did wash out incredibly quick.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Let us know if these 2.2s are really 2.0s like the old ones.

Thumbs Up!
    I do not own a caliber, but I'll see what I can do.
    Mike Tyson

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Could you please measure it and let us know what it's real width is.
    They're 2.0s. Measured 2 1/16". I like them in the wet also either on the front or the rear. Not as fast rolling as X-Kings

I put up weights for two tires with the Protection sidewall in the 29" tires thread which can be found in the Wheels and Tires subforum
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Bikes!
    I am using the 2.2 Protection on my 29er and absolutely love these tyres as all rounders, mud, loam, hardpack and even on tarmac where they roll so well.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Thumbs Up!
    measurements
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Continental Mountain King 2.2 Protection RTR Black Chili-conty.jpg  

Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    LI run one of these tires on my rear wheel right now, paired with an old style 2.4 MK on the front. I couldn't be more stoked on the tire and the way it performs. It sealed up with a floor pump on my WTB i23. Ride is fantastic and the traction is unreal. I like the way it has stiffer and more square side knobs than the old MKs which makes the ride much more predictable and stable in hard leaning turns. Wear properties are excellent too as I have put about 200 trail miles on them already with very minimal wear. This is definitely a top choice tire for me and I have recommending it to everyone I ride with.

mtbr member
    Interesting to see you guys mention the ridiculously skinny width of the previous version... I couldnt agree more... I bought a 2.2 M King sight unseen via Speedgoat... geez, it was more like a 1.8 width... ridiculous.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Curious about these, especially since we ride the same conditions.

I tried an old MK on the front of my 26er a few summers ago and thought that it was the worst tire I ever bought. Then it tried to kill me on a loose surface at brandywine. Ok... I grabbed too much front brake, maybe I tried to kill me. But the thing did wash out incredibly quick.
    I can't wait to test them at The Wiss
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got a Racesport MKII 2.2. IMHO Rocket Ron is still much better on anything accept hard pack.
    Racesport x-kings are good on the back though.

Now older but less slow!
    I wish you luck with these tires. I had the Mountain King 2.2 Mark II Protection and for durabiility it was the worse tire I have ever experienced. In a little over four months, the tire was destroyed with ground down and torn off knobs.

I ride in dry rocky terrain so your experience may be better than mine, but while the tread grips on climbs like crazy, I found the soft knobs squirmed, the tire slow rolling and poor at braking.

I've since put a 1/2 worn Small Block 8 back on the rear to replace this trashed tire and I am having a far better experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've also blown up my XKing 2.2 protection's quicker than my previous RaRa's. Using it as a rear and it's been very grippy while it's held together, but the tire has shredded really quickly in addition to not being the advertised 2.2 width.

For reference I'm a 190lb rider, ride hard over punishing terrain in SoCal and I've torn entire side knobs off - leaving nothing but casing (the knob and base it's attached to tore off).

Going to run some tubed maxxis ikon exo's next to see how they hold up.

More than a little disappointed that the black chili compound disintegrates as easily as it does.

mtbr member
    Probiscus, my X-Kings have done the same. The first one I installed (SuperSonic) in the front. Tore off 3 consecutive knobs, 2 next ones stayed and next 2 tore off. So I had a part of my tire which had 5 out of 7 knobs torn off.... Bought another one (RaceSport) straight from Germany. Put it on the back. After about 10 hours, I have one knob missing... grrrrr......

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Bought a pair of 29er RTR X-Kings and done about 150 miles on loose over hard pack, nothing too demanding and and like others here have already lost 5+ knobs, just ripped off the casing. There's also quite a few knobs in a crumbled state, so expect to loose more shortly.

These are the most fragile tires ever, so disappointing since I loved 26' Black Chili mountain kings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just purchased a set of 29er 2.2 RTR Mountain Kings but I wont be installing them for another few weeks. Hopefully mine hold up