Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conti X King..

mtbr member

Conti X King..

Anybody using the Continental X King tires? And what do you think of them?
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    I bought a pair several months ago and put them on my hardtail. Noticed an immediate improvement in handling. I'm very satisfied with them. My LBS guy says they sell more of that 29er tire than any other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm using it as a front tire on a SS hardtail and pretty happy with it. Good traction for the dry trails I ride and a fast roller. Price is also reasonable and readily available online and at lbs.

Weaknesses: Sometimes takes time to seal the tire when going tubeless. Tire tends to wobble even on a completely true rim. Width is smaller than advertised.

mtbr member
    I'm riding mostly hard pack dirt with quite a bit of rocks and roots. Was looking at the Protection versions, and the choice is between the X King and the Mountain King II. Looking for a replacement for the standard Trail Kings that came on my bike. Those work good, just need some in the protection versions, but don't think Conti makes them anymore.
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

Twin Six METAL Team
    I ran X-King's for about 6 months, and had to pull them. We have a lot of loose stuff here on the Front Range (Colorado), and I found that this tire came up short with regards to maintaining control. Maybe it was just me, who knows. I've since switched to a 2.35 Maxxis IKON up front, 2.2 Maxxis IKON in the rear, and this setup seems to work really well.

mtbr member
    May go with the Mountain King II then. We do have some pea gravel and loose dirt stuff here and there, so better grip will likely offset a slight bit more rolling resistance. MKII was my original thought, but figured I see how the X King compared.
    Thanks for the advice!
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

mtbr member
    Have a set, like them, will be buying them again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Have a set, like them, will be buying them again.
    X King or Mtn King?
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm running the X-King Protection model in 29x2.2 and like others have said, it's narrower than advertised and harder to seal up tubeless. I've had them on for over a month now and I still drop to 20psi after a few days (I inflate to 32-35 before every ride). I think this is semi normal for tubeless but this is my first tubeless setup so I can't really compare.

I came from the Bontrager XR1 that came on my Superfly and they aren't quite as fast of a roller, but the increased traction is well worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have an x-king 2.2 on the rear tubeless, it 'wept' a bit through the sidewall but set up nicely and has been trouble free. I raced it last winter/spring in moist, dry, heavy rain/mud, roots etc, and in rougher conditions in the summer. I have no complaints, I found it to be 'confident' in all those conditions. I like this tire, but it is a bit narrow, measures 2.08 actual width.
    I went with a Specialized Ground Control 2.3 (also narrow) in the front, I like that tire too.

mtbr member
    Given the wide variety of trails that i ride, I went with the Mountain King Protection 2.2s. Have everything from hard pack dirt to creek bottom gravel, so after some thinking, traction seems like a better plan at the moment than low rolling resistance. As I gain fitness and get stronger, I'll try something a bit more speed oriented.
    Just mounted them up tonight, and so far they're much more cooperative than the OEM Trail Kings with tubeless sealing. Be heading to the trails in the morning for a ride test.
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    have an x king on the rear and it's OK...agree with a previous post on tyre wobble and usual bleeding. Feels soft compared to my old crossmark, but happy with it on the whole...am trying some MK1's I got for $15 as a rear, figured can't go too far wrong for the price.

mtbr member
    I picked an X-king up from the shop about a year ago and mounted it up front. It aired up nicely (tubeless) but wobbled like crazy. I tried the tire on a different rim and got the same result. I brought it back and the shop gave me another one. The new tire wobbled just as bad; about .5in side to side. I unmounted it and threw it in my used tire pile where it still sits today! lol

mtbr member
    My go-to tire for balance of weight, grip, rolling resistance, fit onto Stan's rims, and cost is the X-king protection 2.4. I ride kind of hard for XC, and have ripped some knobs of the 2.2", but the 2.4 seem to have better knob support. Keep in mind that the 2.4 is really more like a 2.2, and the 2.2 is not much over 2.0. I've only had one puncture with X-king protection, but it was a stick or rock right near the bead. I don't think any tire has protection there, so they have fairly durable sidewalls. I've had too many tread punctures with Maxxis EXO tires, and way too many sidewall tears with non-sidewall protection tires, but by the time you get a Scwalbe with good rubber and sidewall protection, the cost $20-$30 more than the X-king.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I bought some 29x2.4 X-Kings exactly a year ago. The shop I got them from either didn't have the 2.4s in protection or they didn't make them at the time, so I ended up with regular non-Black Chili's in 2.4. I could have gotten the 2.2s in Protection and Black Chili, but went with the 2.4 because I really wanted a 2.2 and the Continentals are so badly undersized. The 2.4s measured right around 2.2.

Now to the point of my post. The tires were great until I hit a VERY small jump. When I came down, the front tire deformed throwing me to the ground. I broke both of my hands! Continental quickly replaced the tire, but it went straight to eBay and the Snake Skin Racing Ralphs are back on my bike and I'll never use Continental bike tires again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by besnard View Post

Now to the point of my post. The tires were great until I hit a VERY small jump. When I came down, the front tire deformed throwing me to the ground. I broke both of my hands! Continental quickly replaced the tire, but it went straight to eBay and the Snake Skin Racing Ralphs are back on my bike and I'll never use Continental bike tires again.

This is interesting to see. I run X-King 2.4 tires as well (set up tubeless), and they've worked out fine for my XC needs. When I went to spirit mtn in Duluth, MN (kind of a DH style trail, but nothing extreme), I came down off of one of the jumps and the front tire deformed or folded or something, and I enjoyed skidding across the ground for about 10 feet, fortunately I landed well and didn't get hurt. The tire burped a bunch of air, I could fill it and it held air, but it was so badly deformed with a wobble that it was hitting my fork. I simply bought a new one and have been running it since, but noticed a tendency for it to want to fold or lose support when a lot of force is applied to it, such as coming down from a jump or down and up through a ravine, seems a bit sketchy to me.

I might try a different tire next season. Too bad, since I've been pretty happy with these tires in all other respects this season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwalker View Post
    I run X-King 2.4 tires as well (set up tubeless), and they've worked out fine for my XC needs. When I went to spirit mtn in Duluth, MN (kind of a DH style trail, but nothing extreme), I came down off of one of the jumps and the front tire deformed or folded or something, and I enjoyed skidding across the ground for about 10 feet, fortunately I landed well and didn't get hurt. The tire burped a bunch of air, I could fill it and it held air, but it was so badly deformed with a wobble that it was hitting my fork. I simply bought a new one and have been running it since, but noticed a tendency for it to want to fold or lose support when a lot of force is applied to it, such as coming down from a jump or down and up through a ravine, seems a bit sketchy to me.
    Where on the tire did it deform at? Sidewall, or did the whole tire warp? Given others commenting that the X Kings leak sealant through the sidewall a lot like my Trail kings did, I'm wondering if they just have weak sidewalls and are just lightly constructed for pure XC riding/racing more on the lines of the Race King.
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by besnard View Post
    For you guys burping, can I ask what rims you were using? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Rolling resistance on the mountain king is significant. Makes a great front tire... Not so much for the rear.

mtbr member
    I have an X-King 2.2 on rear for about 10 months. It rolls well. Good traction for me. It's skinny for a 2.2 tire. Weight is reasonable.
    Down side:
    Low volume. It does wobble a bit. I run tubeless and sidewalls are really weepy - I think they get worse over time - gotta keep the Stans juice in 'em or they'll lose 10-15 psi on an 1hr ride. I had Race Kings and they were weepy too. I don't know if all Continental tires have weepy side walls? I've had a Maxxis Ardent on the front for over a year and it hold air great - might lose 1 psi a week. Had a panaracer Rampage for while and it held air great too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoanaJones View Post
    I have an X-King 2.2 on rear for about 10 months. It rolls well. Good traction for me. It's skinny for a 2.2 tire. Weight is reasonable.
    Down side:
    Low volume. It does wobble a bit. I run tubeless and sidewalls are really weepy - I think they get worse over time - gotta keep the Stans juice in 'em or they'll lose 10-15 psi on an 1hr ride. I had Race Kings and they were weepy too. I don't know if all Continental tires have weepy side walls? I've had a Maxxis Ardent on the front for over a year and it hold air great - might lose 1 psi a week. Had a panaracer Rampage for while and it held air great too.
    Were they the Protection versions? Weepy sidewalls was the original problem that I had with my OEM, non Protection, Trail Kings. They did seal for the most part after a few rides, but then I ripped the sidewall out of one and it was a moot point.
    Got Mountain King Protections and they haven't oozed a drop of sealant, and took a week to loose 3-4psi. When I first mounted them on the Stan's rims, they didn't leak noticeably even with no sealant at all in them. Went ahead and put 3oz in each tire and have been good to go ever since.
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyTom View Post
    Were they the Protection versions? .......
    Yes - the X-King is a PROTECTION version. I don't think the older Race Kings were Protection versions. I honestly cant tell the difference in their 'weepiness'. Last week, after my X-King kept going flat, I sprayed the the sidewalls w/ soapy water and they foamed up like shaving cream! I put 2 oz of Stans in in the tire and rode it a 1/2 mile. The next morning the tire had lost little air. I like the tire, but Maxxis & Panaracer tire don't seem to weep. Maybe rear tire sidewalls take more abuse?

mtbr member
    That is strange alright. Glad I didn't get the X Kings now, I would have been really bummed if I had paid big $$ for them and had the same issues as with the Trail Kings.
    2001 Bianchi Volpe

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    After 2 rides, the 2.4 X King is off the front wheel and the 2,4 Ardent is back on. It didn't take more than 1 or 2 high speed off camber descents to decide that.....
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    After 2 rides, the 2.4 X King is off the front wheel and the 2,4 Ardent is back on. It didn't take more than 1 or 2 high speed off camber descents to decide that.....

Give it another shot... My x-king took a couple rides to not be slippery. There must have been a coating that wore off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast