rider
    Jan 2005

Conti 2.4 29er Trail King: made in India???

Just got a pair of them. They really look like they will be big once mounted. When flattened out they are 10mm wider than a Schwalbe Hans Dampf and 15mm wider than a Pannaracer Rampage.

Bought them from Universal Cycles and the page said that the 29er version had the APEX sidewall protection system. Looking at the tires I had my doubts, and sure enough, the Conti website does not state that they have the APEX in the 29er version. It does state the following: Rubber Queen 29inch: 3 plies / total 84 tpi.

I was really hoping that these new tires would have tough sidewalls that were as solid as the Ardent 2.4 with it's EXO sidewalls. No Black Chili or APEX sidewalls & for the final slap across the face these tires are marked made in India guess that 29er riders are still unworthy in Conti's eyes. I called Hwy2, the US distributor for Conti bike tires, and they verified that the tires were not made in Germany and did not have Black Chili or APEX.

Remember how Conti said a while back that these tires were late to come out because they were not happy with the quality of the tires being produced in Asia and were pulling the manufacturing back to Germany? I guess that the unacceptable tires are ok to sell to 29er riders.

Thanks, but no thanks Conti, these tires ore going back to Universal Cycles.
    Last edited by 29erchico; 05-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

beater
    Dang. I was hoping for the same thing, but their catalogue wasn't very reassuring. Thanks for confirming for us.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Rub it............
    Only the Black Chili version tires are made in Germany. That includes the new Protection RTR tires. Everything else is made either in Taiwan/China or as you found out, India.

MTB B'dos
    Hum, sounds like those of us who said they were full of **it were right Since you have the tyres why not mount them up and see how that goes, the profile when mounted and how the compound feels? I have nothing against made in India once they hold up and AFAIK they have a warranty so if they turn out to be crap you can get your $$ back.

At least post some pics of them for us so we will actually believe these mythical tyres do exist
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Life Is Short
    I have a Continental 650b 1.5 x 26 and 700 x 40 Tour Rides and yes its says India
    but they are good tires.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Oops...

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum, sounds like those of us who said they were full of **it were right Since you have the tyres why not mount them up and see how that goes, the profile when mounted and how the compound feels? I have nothing against made in India once they hold up and AFAIK they have a warranty so if they turn out to be crap you can get your $$ back.

At least post some pics of them for us so we will actually believe these mythical tyres do exist
    I have plenty of medium duty tires like the Rampage and the CG XC 2.25 from Panaracer. I only rate the 2.4 EXO Ardent a slight touch up higher on the gnar scale, say 6 of 10 gnar, because of it's smallish knobs. I have the full HD end of the spectrum, 10 gnar, covered with a set of new WTB Dissents on MTX33 rims. So, w/o the APEX sidewalls the Trail Kings are not able to fill the gap betwixt the mid and full gnar that I was hoping to slot them into.

I have on hand a Hans Dampf in Trailstar compound, not yet mounted, but am very impressed with the burly sidewalls and tread. I have two more Hans Dampf's in Pacestar on order from UC and hoping that they will fit well into the 7-8 gnar slot that I was hoping to fill with Trail Kings that allegedly sported the APEX sidewalls.

Sorry, but since UC has been nice about this return I'm going to refrain from mounting one to check it out.

MTB B'dos
    The 15mm wider on the tread folded flat has me real interested, but yeah I can dig ya on not wanting them with flimsy sidewalls. These days I prefer to ride tyres in the 700-800 range for sidewall security. I also will be getting a HD and NN to give a try and see how it compares to the Ardent and other test tyres I've ridden, might also order a Bonti 29-4 as that also looks quite beefy with big knobs and tread.

Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    I have plenty of medium duty tires like the Rampage and the CG XC 2.25 from Panaracer. I only rate the 2.4 EXO Ardent a slight touch up higher on the gnar scale, say 6 of 10 gnar, because of it's smallish knobs. I have the full HD end of the spectrum, 10 gnar, covered with a set of new WTB Dissents on MTX33 rims. So, w/o the APEX sidewalls the Trail Kings are not able to fill the gap betwixt the mid and full gnar that I was hoping to slot them into.

I have on hand a Hans Dampf in Trailstar compound, not yet mounted, but am very impressed with the burly sidewalls and tread. I have two more Hans Dampf's in Pacestar on order from UC and hoping that they will fit well into the 7-8 gnar slot that I was hoping to fill with Trail Kings that allegedly sported the APEX sidewalls.

Sorry, but since UC has been nice about this return I'm going to refrain from mounting one to check it out.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I have a Continental 650b 1.5 x 26 and 700 x 40 Tour Rides and yes its says India
    but they are good tires.
    The problem doesn't have anything specifically to do with India, but rather that they aren't made in Germany. Conti's high-end tires with Black Chili and APEX or ProTection sidewalls (find it hard to keep them straight) are only made in Germany. Those are what I wanted to see in a TK 2.4, like the OP.

Flaccid Member
    Agreed, once you've ridden their awesome Black Chili compound, every thing else just does not measure up.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Agreed, once you've ridden their awesome Black Chili compound, every thing else just does not measure up.
    Never had the pleasure. Can big guys run the Black Chili compound tires in the rear or are they soo sticky that they only last at all up front?

usually cranky
    Never had the pleasure. Can big guys run the Black Chili compound tires in the rear or are they soo sticky that they only last at all up front?
    thats the beauty of black chili, it wears long and rolls fast but it is sticky. very awesome.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    thats the beauty of black chili, it wears long and rolls fast but it is sticky. very awesome.
    Hmm, that would be nice...

beater
    That's why they've been on my radar. I had a trip to Hurricane, UT this spring, and the guys at Over the Edge raved about the TK 2.4s (in 26" of course). A long wearing, fast rolling, yet grippy tire with supportive sidewalls that let you run lower pressures without rolling over while still conforming to the trail? Sign me up to try them. Whenever Continental starts making them in Germany, anyway.

mtbr member
    Bummer, I had high hopes.
    I run the TK 2.4's (Black Chili) on my 26er and was looking forward to a set for my 29er. Awesome tires!

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Bummer, I had high hopes.
    I run the TK 2.4's (Black Chili) on my 26er and was looking forward to a set for my 29er. Awesome tires!
    Good news. It looks like 29er 2.2 & 2.4 TK's in Black Chili & either Protection or Apex sidewalls will be available sometime soonish. So I guess that these are really going to made in Germany. Stay tuned to this bat channel, I'll post up again when more info is available.

MTB B'dos
    Wow, that's so great They're only going to be what, 2 years late to when they said they'd be available
    Good news. It looks like 29er 2.2 & 2.4 TK's in Black Chili & either Protection or Apex sidewalls will be available sometime soonish. So I guess that these are really going to made in Germany. Stay tuned to this bat channel, I'll post up again when more info is available.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

I'm with stupid
    Not to HiJack but what conditions does black chili become the holy grail of compounds. I have ridden both in 26er flavor and have a really hard time telling what makes them special other then the black chili's will not set up tubeless for the life of them.

Flaccid Member
    I rode black chili compound on my 26" Bionicon and wear was pretty good in the rear in my weight. What was most surprising was how well the tire still gripped while quite worn. Rolled quite fast also. But I seem to recall the sidewall being a bit flimsy, required some fine tuning with the air pressure to get it spot on and pressure setting was a bit touchy.

YMMV, I like to run cheap Cabellero CST tires in Utah and AZ in rocky stuff, it flat out tears up soft high performance tires on the rocks. Moab, Little Creek, Sedona, I'd run the CST's or some Panaracer Cedric Garcias with a lot of rubber on them and some decent material and weight in the sidewalls. Ask SlowerthanSnot what he likes to run. I'll take a tight blocked knob pattern, more trials type, than full on open moto knob patterns.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB