mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Consequences of changing a Trek G2 fork?

What if any consequences would a rider face if he were to swap out a G2 geometry fork for a regular fork? Would it really change the handling? Is it possible to swap out the G2 crown to another fork? Say for instance a G2 Rockshox XC32 onto a Recon Silver with Air?

Former Bike Wrench
    Swapping a G2 (51mm offset) with a standard 29er fork (46mm offset) that has the same A-C length with ever so slightly slow down the steering...that is all

Recovering couch patato
    Standaard offset in fact used t be 38-39mm. 29" had been around for quite a while before 46-47mm forks surfaced, first on rigid bikes, and later on suspension units as well. I like to think I had my little role in that, throough helping geometry design for On-One's Inbred29 and Redline's Flight 29er. Both got 47mm offset, although I urged Redline to try 50, which was obviously tooo far away from suspension forks on the market, rendering a suspension correction length silly. Then came Fisher with 51mm in their G2, a real gutsy move, but decided upon after testing rather than theorizing.

You're welcome to try and make the change and tell us about. The 51mm offset didn't come about without reason though, while there never was good reasn to use 38-39mm for 29", ever. It was just done that way, as usual for 26", and even there possible sub-perfect.
    12mm of offset is a lot. Corresponds with ~2 in head tube angle for handling quickness.
    Expect vague and slow handling when you make the switch.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Noob here... I too have a Trek Wahoo with a G2 fork. I am an ex football player lineman and know it is just a matter of time before my Suntour forks crash on me. I am interested in something higher end and more heavy duty. Perhaps a Fox or Rock Shox??? Do they produce any of these with G2 geometry? Any help is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNO311 View Post
    Noob here... I too have a Trek Wahoo with a G2 fork. I am an ex football player lineman and know it is just a matter of time before my Suntour forks crash on me. I am interested in something higher end and more heavy duty. Perhaps a Fox or Rock Shox??? Do they produce any of these with G2 geometry? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    yes there are a few options for both manufacturers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do you have a link to those? All I remember seeing were tapered steerer options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Here2Learn View Post
    Do you have a link to those? All I remember seeing were tapered steerer options.
    Basically, just do a search for "29er Fox Fork G2" (or RockShox) and you'll see options.

Examples:
    Amazon.com: RockShox SID RCT3 Suspension Fork DualAir 29" G2 100mm White QR 51mm Offset: Sports & Outdoors

FOX 32 SERIES F 29er RL FIT G2 100MM TAPERED " * SOUGHT AFTER FIT G2 MODEL* | eBay

mtbr member
    wondered what would happen backwards (put a G2 fork on a non G2 frame)...
    I wanted to try this, as my reba (non G2 in my scott scale pro) was serviced, GF Paragon would borow its fork fox G2, but not sure what handling would be...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    Standaard offset in fact used t be 38-39mm. 29" had been around for quite a while before 46-47mm forks surfaced, first on rigid bikes, and later on suspension units as well. I like to think I had my little role in that, throough helping geometry design for On-One's Inbred29 and Redline's Flight 29er. Both got 47mm offset, although I urged Redline to try 50, which was obviously tooo far away from suspension forks on the market, rendering a suspension correction length silly. Then came Fisher with 51mm in their G2, a real gutsy move, but decided upon after testing rather than theorizing.

You're welcome to try and make the change and tell us about. The 51mm offset didn't come about without reason though, while there never was good reasn to use 38-39mm for 29", ever. It was just done that way, as usual for 26", and even there possible sub-perfect.
    12mm of offset is a lot. Corresponds with ~2 in head tube angle for handling quickness.
    I would never call it vague or slow,it slackens out the heat tube angle a bit and I really like it on my air 9 !!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by azille View Post
    wondered what would happen backwards (put a G2 fork on a non G2 frame)...
    I wanted to try this, as my reba (non G2 in my scott scale pro) was serviced, GF Paragon would borow its fork fox G2, but not sure what handling would be...
    More offset=quicker steering (just a little bit) if all other things are equal

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post

I for one am quite happy that you spent so much time ranting for 29er forks with more offset back in the day. The new generation of 29er's ride really sweet, to a large part because we finally have forks that make sense for a big wheeled bike.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    also for anyone looking for a G2 fork, your local trek bike shop probably will be able to find you a fork from the factory direct as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was aware of tapered steerer versions. I thought you knew of a non-tapered steerer version. Thanks.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    on mt 2010 superfly i put a standard offset fox 80mm fork and like it better