Hi There!

Confused about fork air pressure

Greetings. I have the Fox 32 Float 29 fork, 120mm. When i bought the bike and the shop was setting up the sag and air pressure with me on the bike they figured that i needed 125 lb of pressure in the fork. Well i was just bumping around on the owners manual for this fork and even for the heaviest rider (weighing 230 pounds) the "suggested" air pressure is 110 lb of pressure. I'm around 185, does it make sense that i should have 125 lb of pressure in this fork? Thanks for any help.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Confused about fork air pressure

Most manufacturer recommended fork pressures are just starting points.. Record the pressures, ride, do it again, record, ride, do it again... Till it feels perfect.

Also, you should take into account your weight plus your riding gear.. I feel people forget that part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Confused about fork air pressure

Double post

MTB B'dos
    No, it does not, shop is full of shite and doesn't know what they're doing. I weigh as much as you geared to ride, sometimes heavier and my F34 runs about 70 PSI with travel set @ 150mm. Have set up F32's for others of similar weight and never gone even close to 100 PSI, normally <80PSI. Don't try to set it by SAG anyways since if you're sitting on the saddle your weight is not evenly distributed anyhow, just set it to the recommended pressure for your weight and then add or subtract depending on how much travel you use and how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by thegweed View Post
    Greetings. I have the Fox 32 Float 29 fork, 120mm. When i bought the bike and the shop was setting up the sag and air pressure with me on the bike they figured that i needed 125 lb of pressure in the fork. Well i was just bumping around on the owners manual for this fork and even for the heaviest rider (weighing 230 pounds) the "suggested" air pressure is 110 lb of pressure. I'm around 185, does it make sense that i should have 125 lb of pressure in this fork? Thanks for any help.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    With my limited scope of knowledge for this subject, I believe that is too high. I have the same fork, but set up for 100mm and mine at 95psi for 205lbs with gear. Mine is an RLC, but not sure if that matters.

From Fox:

185-200lbs = 95psi

About 3/4 of the page down.

F29 RLC/RL
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Your definitely set to high. Like Cheezy said those are just starting points. Start at 85 psi then ride it. Go up or down in 5 psi increments and ride again. Do this a few times to get it dialed in. I weigh 215 and I'm happy with 95 psi but it took me a few rides to get to that point.

mtbr member

Confused about fork air pressure

I'm about 175 with gear. I started with 75 in mine, and I have brought it down to 50 over time.

mtbr member
    That's way too high. I'd question the MTB credentials of whoever set your bike up. I'm 175, similar fork, at half that PSI.