Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410

    Comparison Fox 29er 34 to 32

    I am getting an Ibis Ripley and am wondering wether to get the F32 120 or F34 140 Talas fork. In all fairness I do not "need" more than 120, but more is of course welcome as well. I've got both Fox and Rock Shox on my bikes today, but I want to go with 15QR, so that disqualifies RS, unfortunately. I am 187cm/6 1/2" and 78kg/172lbs kitted up. The build will be XT-level, so not too worried about the extra pork from the F34 (however, does it affect the bike balance?). Also, the stiffness from a F32 is probably plenty for me, even in the roughest descents. So this decision all comes down to the suspension performance for me.

    So far I get the impression in different reviews that the F34 represents a whole new generation of 29er forks regarding both travel amount and travel qualities. From what I read the F34 easier makes use of all the travel (compared to the "notorius" F32 120 FIT), and, maybe more importantly, suspension control, quality of the dampening and sensitivity seems to be taken to a new level, again compared to the 120 FIT.

    Anyone had the pleasure of using both and would like to offer some qualified opinions?

  2. #2
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    I am getting an Ibis Ripley and am wondering wether to get the F32 120 or F34 140 Talas fork. In all fairness I do not "need" more than 120, but more is of course welcome as well. I've got both Fox and Rock Shox on my bikes today, but I want to go with 15QR, so that disqualifies RS, unfortunately. I am 187cm/6 1/2" and 78kg/172lbs kitted up. The build will be XT-level, so not too worried about the extra pork from the F34 (however, does it affect the bike balance?). Also, the stiffness from a F32 is probably plenty for me, even in the roughest descents. So this decision all comes down to the suspension performance for me.

    So far I get the impression in different reviews that the F34 represents a whole new generation of 29er forks regarding both travel amount and travel qualities. From what I read the F34 easier makes use of all the travel (compared to the "notorius" F32 120 FIT), and, maybe more importantly, suspension control, quality of the dampening and sensitivity seems to be taken to a new level, again compared to the 120 FIT.

    Anyone had the pleasure of using both and would like to offer some qualified opinions?
    Is it the 15QR you want because you don't like the design of the 15mm Maxle on the Revelation? Or were you not aware of Rockshox using 15mm TA on that fork? It's a good fork and I would choose it over the 32mm Fox. I have a few months on the new Revelation and I have zero complaints. Damping is spot on with good control and ride height, love the RS two stage rebound.

    34 is a different animal and I like it better than both forks above IF weight is not a concern. I think you will both notice and enjoy the added stiffness.

    BTW: where the hell are you getting a Ripley? I take it this is a Next Year project?

    JMH

  3. #3
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,219
    the 34 slackens out the geo more
    I think the axle to crown is about 15mm more than the 32
    I'm a big fox fan but am not sure I like their new "Can't Tune Decent" or CTD cartridge
    I would like a rc2 fox 140 29er fork but I doubt they will ever make me one

    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    763
    Joe how is that Stumpy working out for ya. I bet ur loving it more than ur epic. I have my 100mm fork on the front still and I'm digging it, but i have a talas 34 140 commin.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

  5. #5
    Sup
    Reputation: Burnt-Orange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,219
    love my Stumpy
    I don't see any disadvantage over the epic other than it is half a pound up in weight
    can't wait till my XX1 arrives
    I will have the perfect bike for the land of cheese
    hopefully I will have my new group installed by Iceman
    can't wait to ring it out

    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    I am getting an Ibis Ripley and am wondering wether to get the F32 120 or F34 140 Talas fork. In all fairness I do not "need" more than 120, but more is of course welcome as well. I've got both Fox and Rock Shox on my bikes today, but I want to go with 15QR, so that disqualifies RS, unfortunately. I am 187cm/6 1/2" and 78kg/172lbs kitted up. The build will be XT-level, so not too worried about the extra pork from the F34 (however, does it affect the bike balance?). Also, the stiffness from a F32 is probably plenty for me, even in the roughest descents. So this decision all comes down to the suspension performance for me.

    So far I get the impression in different reviews that the F34 represents a whole new generation of 29er forks regarding both travel amount and travel qualities. From what I read the F34 easier makes use of all the travel (compared to the "notorius" F32 120 FIT), and, maybe more importantly, suspension control, quality of the dampening and sensitivity seems to be taken to a new level, again compared to the 120 FIT.

    Anyone had the pleasure of using both and would like to offer some qualified opinions?
    i have both one fox 32 120mm float on my tallboy and the 34 140mm on my tallboy LT..34s imho feel heavy but worth the weight

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Is it the 15QR you want because you don't like the design of the 15mm Maxle on the Revelation? Or were you not aware of Rockshox using 15mm TA on that fork? It's a good fork and I would choose it over the 32mm Fox. I have a few months on the new Revelation and I have zero complaints. Damping is spot on with good control and ride height, love the RS two stage rebound.

    34 is a different animal and I like it better than both forks above IF weight is not a concern. I think you will both notice and enjoy the added stiffness.

    BTW: where the hell are you getting a Ripley? I take it this is a Next Year project?

    JMH
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know RS were having 15mm TA as an option on their 29er forks, thought they were committed to 20mm. However, did you feel a difference in the dampening qualities on the RS and the F34?

    The Ripley is just in the planning, obviously.

  8. #8
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,589
    Review of the Fox 34 here on MTBR compares it to a 32. Lighter riders seem to notice stiffness addition less than the heavier guys. How much do you weigh
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    144
    I think the 34 is the bees knees, personally. I'm also 220ish, so I benefit more, perhaps. I blew out a 32 last summer in like... 300 miles? Bushings, stanctions, etc. 34 is rockin', just needs some new wipers after 600+.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    253
    I have the Fox 34 29er 140 mm at the moment, along with a Manitou 120 and a Reba 120
    ( both on 29ers). Yes there is a difference. Its very noticable between the 34 and the Reba(standard QR and xc wheels). But the difference is slight between the 34 and the Minute 120 with a 20mm TA. And thats using the same front wheel on both bikes. I'm 175 not geared up, so maybe the difference will be more if you are heavier.
    I almost bought a Tower Pro for the new bike (Kona Satori) but got a great deal on the 34.

    Tom

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,834
    Tower Pro now comes with their own design 15mmQR thru. The shim system for compression damping is easy to access and tune. You can also tune rebound the same way although it's usually not necessary.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    I am 170/78 kg kitted up, so not in the heavy league.

  13. #13
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,589
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    I am 170/78 kg kitted up, so not in the heavy league.
    Honestly I doubt you'll notice it. I'm about the same weight
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    66

    first impression

    I've been running the F29 Talas 120-95 for two seasons now, on a Niner RIP. I had first ride yesterday with my new F34 Talas 140-120. Here are some first impressions...

    Certainly looks better on the the bike than the F29 120-95
    Feels stiffer in chassis, maybe some due to needed brake-in period perhaps
    Slightly higher front, but on the other hand, I removed ca 10mm of spacers below the stem. Have no spacer no, running internal Acros headset with no external height "build".

    Makes the pilot feel like a better person

    I would argue that the extra travel is worth it. Not necessarily on trails going fast forward, but oh the downhill sections... Silent flow is the closest description I reckons I won't go back to 120 again.

    Climbing? Well, I always thought that 95mm were a wee but low, leaving especially the bottom bracket close to the ground on rocky and rooty terrain.

    BjornS

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    Thanks for the feedback, BjornS. Nice to have some undiluted first impressions!
    The bikes are also pretty comparable both geometry- and travel-wise, apparently, so this is useful input.

    Do you feel that the extra travel on the RIP9 is making the bike less good on the flats?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Do you feel that the extra travel on the RIP9 is making the bike less good on the flats?
    Initially, i was expecting more of the "laidback chopper" feeling, but I ended up going from the old fork + a few spacers to the new F34 and no spacers at all. In addition, I twitched the bar a wee bit downwards (now it is flat, it had a bit of up-sweep before). So the actual stack/height at the bars of the bike is more or less the same.

    I ended up searching for changes on the flats but cant find any negative ones. I have the overall impression that the RIP (2011 frame version) is built for a F34 140, and that the frame is actually suboptimal with a F29 120 fork. My humble opinion, that is.

    I have a feeling that the whole bike is stiffer now than a few months ago. That is also due to new wheels (CK front 15QR and CK with Funbolts rear). Amazing ride feeling!

    B.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    303
    ive got a 12 34 FIT 140 talas on my ellsworth evolution and ive also got hte -1.5 degree angleset on it. It's pretty awesome!
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

  18. #18
    Feral Roadie
    Reputation: bbense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by BjornS View Post
    I've been running the F29 Talas 120-95 for two seasons now, on a Niner RIP.
    Can you post Axle to Crown heights for that fork? ( If you still have it). For some reason those kinds of numbers are very difficult to find.

    thanks,

    - Booker C. Bense

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    Can you post Axle to Crown heights for that fork? ( If you still have it). For some reason those kinds of numbers are very difficult to find.

    thanks,

    - Booker C. Bense
    WebHelp

    Click on product specs, all the numbers your heart desires.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serhij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    449
    I had F32 29" Float 120 RLC Fit, now I'm on 2012 F34 29" Float RLC Fit (set up at 130mm). F34 is a hair plusher, travel is used in very similar way with exception for botom out - last 15-20mm of travel in F32 is totally unusable (with proper SAG there is absolutely no way to use it :-) ). F34 has much more linear feel (no bottom outs, but onlu ~5mm of travel is not used). Geometry is also much better for trail riding.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    569

    Fox 29 32 vs. 34

    I have owned two bikes with the fox 32 and honestly that model was not my favorite. It blew through its travel but never used it all. It wasn't linear or even close. My LTc has the Fox 34 and I feel its a big improvement. Its stiffer. more controlled damping, responds to adjustments, It sits a little taller which I like. I can slam into rocks faster and smoother than my 32 fork. When riding in Moab I feel more in control than before. I'm happy with the 34.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    Can anyone compare the 34 Float and Talas?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    Great - can you also offer some opinions on the suspension performance such as stiction and damping?


    simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    Nobody that can compare Talas and Float?


    simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410

    Comparison Fox 29er 34 to 32

    I am starting to think that the difference in sensitivity and other performance is negligible.


    simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •