mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Color matching for accents..?

SO I am trying to add some blue accents to my white and black Nimble 9. Yesterday I got my Salsa seatpost QR clamp and I love the blue color, kind of a lightish blue.

Today I got my Raceface bashgaurd and its a little darker. I also order the raceface turbine hadlebar in blue so i'm guessing it will match the Bashgaurd since they're the same brand?

So how do you match accent peices between brands? For example Chris king makes multicolored headsets that may not match Hope's hubs in a similar color.

Is close enough okay? Do I needto get a life...lol?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVJon75 View Post
    Is close enough okay? Do I needto get a life...lol?
    Close enough is good enough. Give these parts a summer or two and they'll fade at different rates anyway. So yeah, you need to go get a life too
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Take the parts to a paint store and have them measure the color with a tool? I just did something like that in school. We had to find the color for wall paint to order the same color for other rooms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I say forget matching accents. I have a white frame with blue/black accents, black seatpost and stem with green accents, carbon bar with gold/silver accents, carbon rims with red accents, black spokes with a wedge of red ones, mixed silver/black components, tires with yellow accents, and a purple saddle (ok I lied about the last one).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Heh, I recently did the same thing with my SC NomadC (sorry, not a 29'er, but I do have one). These parts are primarily Race Face anodized red, but I do have a Woodman seatpost clamp, Clarks rotors, and a Salsa headset cap. I wanted to get matching red derailleur cabling, but the Jagwire stuff wasn't even close.

mtbr member
    by the time you get to the end of your ride and are BSing in the parking lot you should have enough mud and dirt of the bike the colours arnt too visible anyways.

i look for "Good from afar, but far from good".

My reign is red, as are the peddles, bars and anything ells i change i will try and get in red if possible. some times things just dont match though, and its best to looka t another colour black (is easy and on every bike) or goldish (matches the stanchions).
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Heh, I recently did the same thing with my SC NomadC (sorry, not a 29'er, but I do have one). These parts are primarily Race Face anodized red, but I do have a Woodman seatpost clamp, Clarks rotors, and a Salsa headset cap. I wanted to get matching red derailleur cabling, but the Jagwire stuff wasn't even close.

Ok, thanks for all the replies. This one looks similar to what I'm going for only with blue: bashgaurd, seatpost clamp and bars. Oh, and crampons pedals in blue.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Get a 29'r and people will be so stoked over that they won't care what color your accents are ha ha! Just kidding, but I couldn't resist. BTW thats a great looking bike just as it sits.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I did mine. Totally unnecessary, but since I have no other vices at the moment, I was able to afford it and get peaceable concurrence from CINCHOME, too.

Started with the blue Lunchbox kit which replaces pivot bolts, water bottle cage bolts, seat clamp, headset, dropout and DW Link piece. Then when I went for the wheels and fork, I got the blue hubs and blue stickers on the label. I like the blue and black.

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    Get a 29'r and people will be so stoked over that they won't care what color your accents are ha ha! Just kidding, but I couldn't resist. BTW thats a great looking bike just as it sits.
    Thanks... and I have a 29'er (HiFi Pro), it just isn't as sexy as my Nomad.

Also, to the OP: If you want to add anything else, Clarks makes some blue-anodized rotor bolts.

mtbr member
    Last bike was this Cannondale Rush which I started accented blue due to the Pro Pedal lever on the Fox shock and it just took off from there .....
    Now Im doing the same with my new rig , Rocky Element 950 29'r but doing red to go with the Easton rim's red hubs and nipples .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color matching for accents..?-last-rush-pic-2-.jpg  

Color matching for accents..?-2012-08-11-18.34.09.jpg  

mtbr member
    the trick with accents is 'less is more' or 'use sparingly'
    over accent and its just another colour.
    the op has a black and white bike. choose most of your components to be black or white.
    choose one or two key components and have these in your accent colour. stand back, admire and then ride.
    trust me, im a designer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am currently in "Orange" accent mode... Might try to find an orange seat clamp, but otherwise done with it (I think)
    My C-Dale RZ120 was totally over accented, I will have to find a pic of that thing. It looked completely ridiculous...I learned my lesson after that...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Color matching for accents..?-flash-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    the trick with accents is 'less is more' or 'use sparingly'
    over accent and its just another colour.
    the op has a black and white bike. choose most of your components to be black or white.
    choose one or two key components and have these in your accent colour. stand back, admire and then ride.
    trust me, im a designer...
    I think you're right. I put my blue Salsa seat clamp and my eyes were drawn to it. I LOVED it! Beautiful. Then I added the blue bashgaurd and it doesn't quite match, a little darker. Instantly the effect of the clap is blunted and the eyes don't know where to focus. I am going to try blue handlebars and may lose the bash.