Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?

I rode a bike with the Jones Loop bars on it. Really liked the bars. Are there any bars out there that are close to the Loops in width and sweep? I know about the Ragley, Salsa, Mary, and other alt bars, but they all seem to have around 25 degree sweep. The jones is over 40 degrees. Options?

Former Bike Wrench
    On-One Mary Bars are somewhere near 40 degree sweep

Origin-8 Space Bar OR2 is around 40 degree sweep as well

Titec J-Bar if you can find one is a copy of the original Jones J-Bar

Jones does make the Loop bars in aluminum for just over $100

I do what I want
    Theres a pair of Jones Loop bars on ebay Ive been watching that are pretty cheap right now.

Ive been thinking about giving them a shot too, but at $120 a pair its not a cheap trial and I tend to prefer wiiiiiiiiide bars.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    On-One Mary Bars are somewhere near 40 degree sweep

Origin-8 Space Bar OR2 is around 40 degree sweep as well

Titec J-Bar if you can find one is a copy of the original Jones J-Bar

Jones does make the Loop bars in aluminum for just over $100
    Cool. Good info. I'll take another look at the Mary bars, and I hadn't hear of the Origin-8's. I tried the J bar, but didn't like it. Not wide enough. I like wide. As another poster mentioned, the Jones bars are $120. Not bad, but I tend to have weird ideas about how much a handlebar is worth. Get too much over $50 and I have to think to myself: with all the bars out there, there's got to be something just as good cheaper. I don't mind spending big money on wheels and drivetrain, but bars and stems? No way. Now, what appeals to me about the Jones bar is the width and sweep. All the hand position options, less so. For someone who really likes all the hand-positioning, the Jones bars are probably a square deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So before I created this thread, I used the search function here for anything with "jones" in the title. Nothing came up that answered my question. Tried "Loop". Not much else. After mtnbiker72's list, I google Mary bars and a bunch of mtbr threads come up comparing alt bars and Loop bars and mentioning Jones. I just learned to use google search instead of the search function here at mtbr. Anyways, I found this pic of a Mary bar over a Loop bar, and they look pretty close:

Jones Loop H-Bar 10 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Cool. Good info. I'll take another look at the Mary bars, and I hadn't hear of the Origin-8's. I tried the J bar, but didn't like it. Not wide enough. I like wide. As another poster mentioned, the Jones bars are $120. Not bad, but I tend to have weird ideas about how much a handlebar is worth. Get too much over $50 and I have to think to myself: with all the bars out there, there's got to be something just as good cheaper. I don't mind spending big money on wheels and drivetrain, but bars and stems? No way. Now, what appeals to me about the Jones bar is the width and sweep. All the hand position options, less so. For someone who really likes all the hand-positioning, the Jones bars are probably a square deal.
    I will get the loop bar next, not so much for the hand positions but for the headlight, gps, and computer real estate. It's harder to mount a headlight on the J/H bars plus it's behind all the cables, which creates noticeable shadows in the light beam. Alt bars can be a headache for bar mounted accessories. I'm thinking the titanium version because I don't use the crutch of suspension.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I will get the loop bar next, not so much for the hand positions but for the headlight, gps, and computer real estate. It's harder to mount a headlight on the J/H bars plus it's behind all the cables, which creates noticeable shadows in the light beam. Alt bars can be a headache for bar mounted accessories. I'm thinking the titanium version because I don't use the crutch of suspension.
    Good points on Loop bar's additional value. When you start adding up the little things the Loops make sense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So after Google search, I got some options:

Mary bar-Hard to find. Maybe only through On-One. 645mm wide & 31.8.
    Soma Clarance-AL bar. Maybe wider than Mary? 390 grams & 25.4.
    Surly Open bar-666mm wide. Chromoly steel. 500grams & 25.4.

Soma bar can be had for around $45. Surly bar around $60. Mary bar around $67 shipped England.

I've never used, at least that I can remember, a 25.4 stem and bar. What kind of beating would this size hold up to? How easy is it to shim up to a 31.8 stem?
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 04-04-2012 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Origin 8 Bullnose

Bontrager Crivitz

Former Bike Wrench
    The Origin-8 Space OR2 comes in 31.8 and 655mm width, kind of hard to find but here is a source
    NEW ORIGIN SPACE OR2 HANDLEBAR BLACK 31.8 CLAMP (072774339846) | eBay

Here's what it looked like on my bike when I ran them

mtbr member
    Groovy luv handle

ballbuster

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    I just mount my dual head nite rider mi-newt led to the horns of my h-bar. The cables are all below the lights, so the only shadows it casts are directly below where it isn't a problem.

When I ran a magicshine on the bar next to the stem, I would get some shadows, but none in the path where I need to see.

I would suggest not losing a lot of sleep over that issue.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I just mount my dual head nite rider mi-newt led to the horns of my h-bar. The cables are all below the lights, so the only shadows it casts are directly below where it isn't a problem.

When I ran a magicshine on the bar next to the stem, I would get some shadows, but none in the path where I need to see.

I would suggest not losing a lot of sleep over that issue.
    I will try the light on the horn... sure will be nice to be able to sleep again!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Did I catch a niner?
    Guy I ride with has a steal and ti jones (lucky bastard) and has the aluminum set on his steel rig. He said they're cheap and lighter then the ti version. So if you can afford the aluminum I would say get them.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    If you can snag one, Bontrager Satellite bar off of the old Trek Soho circa 2005-2006 are very similar to the Jones loop bar. Not quite as big. Ebay for $15 usually.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The Origin-8 Space OR2 comes in 31.8 and 655mm width, kind of hard to find but here is a source
    NEW ORIGIN SPACE OR2 HANDLEBAR BLACK 31.8 CLAMP (072774339846) | eBay
    Hey mtnbiker72, the ad here says the Space bar has 50 degree forward sweep. I don't know what that means for rear sweep. Earlier you mentioned you expected the Space bar was around 40 degree rearward. Just want to confirm.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hey mtnbiker72, the ad here says the Space bar has 50 degree forward sweep. I don't know what that means for rear sweep. Earlier you mentioned you expected the Space bar was around 40 degree rearward. Just want to confirm.
    Yes, it's a 50mm forward sweep...so you don't have to run a longer stem

Origin 8 calls them 40 degree, I never actually measured myself.
    Products Description – ORIGIN-8

workin' it Administrator
    I rode a bike with the Jones Loop bars on it. Really liked the bars. Are there any bars out there that are close to the Loops in width and sweep? I know about the Ragley, Salsa, Mary, and other alt bars, but they all seem to have around 25 degree sweep. The jones is over 40 degrees. Options?
    I rode mary bars for about 4 years. When I got my Jones I got a set of the Al Loops. I really couldn't tell a difference in hand position except that they allowed me to run my brakes farther from my grips which was my only beef with the mary as I have big hands and they take up a lot of real estate in the grips.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just a quick revisit. The Soma Clarance 31.8 bar is the closest to a Jones Loop geo that I can find. It is 670mm wide vs. 667 for the Loop. Has 40 degree sweep vs. 45 for the Jones Loop. Weighs less, but loses the hand positioning and space for mounting electronics. The Soma bar can be had for under $50.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My bar has an interesting story. I wanted one of the original loop bars but Jeff sold them all a few years ago. He only had bars made overseas which he said are better than the originals. I told him I had really hoped for one of the original loop bars. He said the only original bar he has left is on his bike. Now it's on mine I really like that loop bar...

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    I just installed the Soma Clarence bars on my Lynskey pro 29 today. 31.8, 670 wide. Installed they are the same width as my niner rdo bars, and though I have not ridden them yet, I like the way they feel. I hope that they help my wrist on longer rides, we'll see.
    Lynskey Pro 29 SL brushed etched.

get down!
    bars look great SUBA!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornff View Post
    I just installed the Soma Clarence bars on my Lynskey pro 29 today. 31.8, 670 wide. Installed they are the same width as my niner rdo bars, and though I have not ridden them yet, I like the way they feel. I hope that they help my wrist on longer rides, we'll see.
    Hey, can you measure the bar width from bar end to bar end? A pic would be cool too, if not too much trouble. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I love Mary bars, but found it too short when I switch my bike to SS, bought a Carnegie, just an inch wider than my Mary.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    I had Mary's, found them a bit narrow. After shopping around I found these:

Ti Cycles Double S Handlebar Reviews

680mm wide, 30 degree sweep, awesome bars, love 'em.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast