Jan 2013
    good idea. Good points on Loop bar's additional value.thank you

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    which one did you use?
    Ride On!

metrotuned WoS
    The Answer 2020s are the ugliest of the bunch. Seriously. Performance wise, they may work well - but then you can consider the more economical Origin 8 space bar II's which are carbon and have a listed weight that is attractive. Ragley Carnegie's if you can find them (discontinued). Any mention of the FSA Metropolis? They are available, in aluminum, 31.8, and look stunning in the silver variety especially when combined with a silver Thomson. Naked of BC Canada mentioned FSA copied his design on the famous NAHBS show winner people's choice - the $10K bike Lance bought for his Texas shop, and then replicated with 10 more a year later.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    "A super wide cousin of the Sparrow designed for offroad use. Inspired by the sweep angle of the Jeff Jones H-Bar. The Clarence makes it easy to throw the bike around in technical situations. Plus the grip position feels really natural. The 31.8mm version is slightly wider than the 25.4mm."

- 6061-T6 aluminum
    - 40 degree sweep
    - 37mm rise
    - 670mm width
    - 31.8mm center
    - 22.2mm ends

Clarence Bar 31.8 | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Here's the 'new' model Jones Bar with 31.8 clamp size and butted tubing. For me the closed loop is the thing. Few if any of the alternative options have this feature. For long rides with road sections it allows a stretched out position that is also more aero. Comfort wise I find it important to be able to vary my hand positions to the degree the Jones bar allow. The loop also is also the ultimate geek-harbor, while all sorts of accessories can be berthed.

I've always found Ergon grips to improve hand comfort, but on this breed of back swept bars they really shine.

mtbr member
    Try Black Sheep Bikes for a custom bar with any sweep, rise, length etc. This is the 3rd pair James has made for me. Love the integrated bar / stem. Plenty stiff where you want it and just a little flex to work with the Faith fork. These are 27.5" wide.

I also have an original Jones J Bar sitting on my bench. It's nice, but doesn't get any use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-bars.jpg  

If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Loop bar vs. Soma Clarence 31.8, which btw is about the same width as the loop and has just about the same length in the grip-shifter-brake area. The Clarence feels very solid, not lightweight but a heavy alloy.

mtbr member

More info...

Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Here's the 'new' model Jones Bar with 31.8 clamp size and butted tubing. For me the closed loop is the thing. Few if any of the alternative options have this feature. For long rides with road sections it allows a stretched out position that is also more aero. Comfort wise I find it important to be able to vary my hand positions to the degree the Jones bar allow. The loop also is also the ultimate geek-harbor, while all sorts of accessories can be berthed.

I've always found Ergon grips to improve hand comfort, but on this breed of back swept bars they really shine.
    100% agree with ^^

Was able to borrow a new set of Jones Loop bars to compare to my Titec H-bars. They are the same width as the Loop bars but would require at least 10 to 20mm more stem length to get the bars in the same position. (see picture)

Also including a picture of the Jones Loop with the Answer 20/20 bars.

After getting some time on the Answer 20/20 and my rigid 09 Salsa Fargo, I have gone back to the H-bars. I really like the width of the 20/20, but the advantages of the H-bars out weigh that on this particular bike. For me, the 20/20 would work best on a xc/trail bike with front or full suspension.

If Jones produced a wider set of Loop bars that allowed for a shorter stem length...that could be the perfect rigid/gravel bike bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-001.jpg  

Last edited by bubba13; 01-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member

Pictures Loop & Titec H bar, Loop & 20/20

Pictures...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-001.jpg  

Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-002.jpg  

Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Watson Cycles Revelation and Parkarino are two other wide Ti bars 680mm and 720mm with 32* and 31* sweeps. Made in the US.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Looking to get a J-H bar myself, since the additional real-estate for mounting stuff would be a huge improvement over the standard bars.

The one thing that I don't like personally is the sweep of the bars, wish he had a model with straight bars instead.

Is dang happy!
    The Crivitz is 690mm/270gramms and cheap on the E-bay.
    I can usually get them for close to dealer cost because people take them off Trek Sawyers.
    It is a nice wide and relatively light bar, wish it had a bit of rise.
    Just picked up a second set for $38.

Last edited by Mr. Doom; 04-15-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was just surfing around and saw that Soma has a new bar called the Eagle that is similar to the Jones bar, they actually state that in the description.

Soma Eagle Bar

Anybody rolling the Nitto Bosco bars? Yes, they are EN Mtn certified per Rivendell's website (Soma sells the CrMo version for threadless stems designed by Rivendell from Nitto, Riv has them only in Al for the threadless stem).

Nitto B353 Bosco Bars (CrMo)

I use Surly Open bars on two of my bikes. My hands tend to try and rotate to less sweep though, that happens even on straight bar as well So, I was thinking if I went full sweep like the Bosco's that it might satiate my hands and arms from wanting to rotate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    I was just surfing around and saw that Soma has a new bar called the Eagle that is similar to the Jones bar, they actually state that in the description.

Soma Eagle Bar

By 'more angled back' do you think they mean more than 45* of sweep, or less than 45* of sweep? I like the idea of 10* rise, when you turn them upside down. Nice find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm going to have to say a little more sweep, say 50 deg or so. They kind of look similar to Surly Open bars that I think are at 53 deg of sweep. Not sure why some manufactures just don't state all the dimensions.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    ... - but then you can consider the more economical Origin 8 space bar II's which are carbon and have a listed weight that is attractive...
    Can't wait for these to actually materialize...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Sorry to revive an old thread. I have ridden the On One Mary bars on my SS and find that in rooty/ rocky/ technical descents, my hands want to slip forward on the bars- it's just a little too much sweep, plus, they're kinda narrow. I've also ridden Salsa Pro Moto Carbon bars with 17* of sweep and liked them, but with no forward offset, I had to run a stem that was nearly 20mm longer than normal. I think I'm going to try the Salsa Bend 2's at 23* and see how they treat me on the downhills. I really liked the Mary for everything else- climbing, steering, etc- but the feeling of my hands slipping forward on tech descents was just too much. I really like the Answer 20/20's because I think that would be a good width and sweep option, and I like Carbon bars, but the rise seems silly to me and I wish they came in a flat option.

Any other options in the 20* area + 680 or so of width that people think I should consider? Seems most of the Origin8 stuff is 660 width (otherwise, I'd try the bullnose).
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I made a list here:

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread

On-One Fleegle Pro or Bontrager Crivitz?

mtbr member
    Awesome breakdown. Thanks. The Crivitz appear to be about the same price as the Bend 2's- can't find either of them used right now...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    I made a list here:

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread

On-One Fleegle Pro or Bontrager Crivitz?
    The Origin8 UL8 carbon Space bar is another option at 685mm.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    great list. the jones bar oem on new ecr and ogre is wider at 710mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    great list. the jones bar oem on new ecr and ogre is wider at 710mm.
    Not just wider, but also longer on the extensions. I run mine with the controls up at the cross bar, Thumbies above it and brakes flush against, below the bar.

This gives at least two full hand positions on the extensions. The primary is up at the cross bar and where I set the stem length for, with the longer extensions grip in close to be upright and taking it easy or make it easy to grab when putting weight over the back.

To run them like this, the ESI grips are the win to allow you to move around. I run the extra chunky and really like the setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

There is a new Jones H-Bar in town

There is a new Jones H-Bar in town, the Jones Bend H-Bar 660.
    15mm wider than the On-One Mary with the standard Jones 45 degree sweep and 1/2" rise instead of the Mary's 1".

Price is $85

Jones YouTube video of the evolution of his H-Bar

Last edited by zink; 11-19-2013 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The video kind of makes me wish I had the front hooks of the Cut H-Bar but as Jeff points out the Mary design makes fitting brakes and shifters easier while giving the same rear hand positions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    [QUOTE=Slow Danger;9163908]I rode a bike with the Jones Loop bars on it. Really liked the bars. Are there any bars out there that are close to the Loops in width and sweep? I know about the Ragley, Salsa, Mary, and other alt bars, but they all seem to have around 25 degree sweep. The jones is over 40 degrees. Options?[/QUOTE
    SQlab GmbH - 314 City / Trekking Lenker, ergonomisch, City, Trekking, Bike

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast