Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 101
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I know Bob, crazy right? I was expecting to be putting my carbon fiber bars back on! Now what the hell do I do with those things?

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by fbabrove View Post
    I know Bob, crazy right? I was expecting to be putting my carbon fiber bars back on! Now what the hell do I do with those things?
    Haha... well, if you were to ask Mrs. FatBob, she'd tell you to sell them.... Me, I say put them in the parts bin just in case you want to try something new... then tell Mrs. FatBob that you sold them to "Steve" who you sell all your stuff to

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21
    Didja see surlys new bars? Open bars with a crossbar up top

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Anyone try the Carver My Ti Bars?

    $149...

    Bikeman Carver Bikes MyTi Titanium Handlebar

    I may give them a whirl on my Pugsley...

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bubba13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    696

    Anwer 20/20 bars

    These are not exactly Jones Loop dimensions but are very nice bars. The Answer 20/20 has 20 degree back sweep, 25.4mm of rise and they are 720mm wide carbon. I have them set up upside down with a straight 80mm stem for a drop on the Fargo at the moment.

    I was running Titec H-bars with a 90mm riser stem set up in drop position. The H-bars are good for long rides that do not require technical stuff. Tight turns with your weight forward on the narrow H-bar can get interesting. The Jones Loop is a bit wider than the Titec but not sure how much. If I end up getting a Jones frame then I want to try the Answers on that and put the Titec's back on the Fargo for the street.

    The Answer 20/20's are excellent for trail riding and are very comfortable to boot. I really like the fact that the bars are so wide. Have gotten used to 740mm bars on my other MTB's. It is possible to stretch out some if you move your hands toward the center of the bar. Still has the sweep there for good hand position and is just forward of the stem.

    Good luck with your search
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-003.jpg  

    Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-005.jpg  

    Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-008.jpg  

    Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-007.jpg  

    Last edited by bubba13; 10-05-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    127
    I just got a message from Jones today. The loop bars should be available November 20th and are on pre-order now. I think I will just hang out to my Marys though.

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    There will always be folks who will wait and buy jones bars, I'm glad... it will keep Jeff designing great new things. There are many options out there, and for that I'm even more grateful. I bought the Origin8 Bullnose bars, they are cool, but with the $ I saved I can pick up a set of the new Surly bars mentioned above and still have a couple of beers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Closest bar to Jones Loop H bar?-dscn2851.jpg  


  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    In the product description it says there are thin and thick walled bars--thin for commuter and thick for mtb. Do you have the thick? Flexy?
    I'm late responding but: Yes, I have the thick wall version, emailed Dave at Ti-Cycles and he said 100% go thick wall for off road.

    Flexy: They flex but aren't flexy. I did notice the movement after coming off the aluminum Mary for maybe 2 weeks but now I don't notice it at all.

    They are super comfortable and I have no complaints about them at all.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    Anyone try the Carver My Ti Bars?

    $149...

    Bikeman Carver Bikes MyTi Titanium Handlebar

    I may give them a whirl on my Pugsley...
    I looked at them BUT (without getting overtly political): From my research I believe the Carver bar is made in China. For $30 more I bought a bar that was made in USA.

    I felt a better knowing my $$ were going to support workers in the domestic market.
    Last edited by driver bob; 10-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.

  10. #60
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    I bought the Origin8 Bullnose bars...
    how flexy are they vertically?
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    For $30 more I bought a bar that was made in USA.
    What bars would that be? Thx!

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    What bars would that be? Thx!
    Ti Cycles :: Hand Made in Portland, Oregon USA

    Thickwall version

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    There will always be folks who will wait and buy jones bars, I'm glad... it will keep Jeff designing great new things. There are many options out there, and for that I'm even more grateful. I bought the Origin8 Bullnose bars, they are cool, but with the $ I saved I can pick up a set of the new Surly bars mentioned above and still have a couple of beers.
    I'm the op, and I still haven't pulled the trigger on new bars vs. waiting for the Jones Loop to become available. There are many alt bars out there, and that's cool. but I tried a Loop bar once, and I can't get the way it felt out of my head. Width, length, and degree of sweep can complicate issues over buying any alt bar. Further, options like, say, the new surly bar are 25.4, so you need a shim for 31.8, it's steel, and I worry they might flex too much for my needs. Also the sweep is different. So far in my search, I've been tempted by the Surly Open bar, the my Ti bar and the carver bar, and the Mary. There's the Soma Clarance, which is nearly the same width and length of the Jones, but not quite as swept. Real cheap too. It's my #1 alternative so far, but I actually find it uglier than even the Jones Loop. I don't really need the "loop" portion of the bar either. However, the new Jones Loop is coming in 31.8, and a shim is no longer needed as in previous models. So what to do, what to do?

    I think I'm going to follow a philosophy I've tried to follow when buying parts. Spend money on wheels and drivetrain, save money on stems and bars. I think I'm going to order the Soma bars.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 10-06-2012 at 12:36 AM.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fat Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    how flexy are they vertically?
    To be honest I've only ridden them on one rocky trail and mostly knocking around. Since they are a stem and bar integrated and triangulated they shouldn't be too flexy in theory ... I've certainly had much more noodly bars in my lifetime.... they are not light, but neither is the bike they are on and neither is the pilot. So far I'm happy with them but this bike will never see the kind of abuse my other bikes see... perhaps I should have prefaced this all in my experiment. This bike is just for fun

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    I'm the op, and I still haven't pulled the trigger on new bars vs. waiting for the Jones Loop to become available. There are many alt bars out there, and that's cool. but I tried a Loop bar once, and I can't get the way it felt out of my head. Width, length, and degree of sweep can complicate issues over buying any alt bar. Further, options like, say, the new surly bar are 25.4, so you need a shim for 31.8, it's steel, and I worry they might flex too much for my needs. Also the sweep is different. So far in my search, I've been tempted by the Surly Open bar, the my Ti bar and the carver bar, and the Mary. There's the Soma Clarance, which is nearly the same width and length of the Jones, but not quite as swept. Real cheap too. It's my #1 alternative so far, but I actually find it uglier than even the Jones Loop. I don't really need the "loop" portion of the bar either. However, the new Jones Loop is coming in 31.8, and a shim is no longer needed as in previous models. So what to do, what to do?

    I think I'm going to follow a philosophy I've tried to follow when buying parts. Spend money on wheels and drivetrain, save money on stems and bars. I think I'm going to order the Soma bars.
    It was a tough choice for me. I've owned several of the original Jones bars and you're right there is something about the bars that just feels right. That said, my biggest disappointment with the new stuff is that it is being sourced overseas, the cost is out of control, and there are just too many other options out there for me to justify the $ on them today. Maybe if he strikes another deal with Titec or another big name to mass produce them and bring the price down. I don't need Ti.

    Let us know what you decide, I'm curious about the Soma Bar now

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    It was a tough choice for me. I've owned several of the original Jones bars and you're right there is something about the bars that just feels right. That said, my biggest disappointment with the new stuff is that it is being sourced overseas, the cost is out of control, and there are just too many other options out there for me to justify the $ on them today. Maybe if he strikes another deal with Titec or another big name to mass produce them and bring the price down. I don't need Ti.

    Let us know what you decide, I'm curious about the Soma Bar now
    Well, I do respect the buy American approach, and the Jones bar is pretty darned expensive. The other reason I'm tempted to go Jones is that I bought one of his bikes used. I love the bike so much I feel like I should spend some of my money with him. He has an american family after all. And I figure if he designed the bars to go with his bike...decisions, decisions.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,278
    This will be out soon as another cheaper option:

    Moloko Bar | Parts | Surly Bikes

  17. #67
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    If it hasn't been mentioned yet, FSA Metropolis bars are 40 degrees and less than $50 usually.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  18. #68
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    If it hasn't been mentioned yet, FSA Metropolis bars are 40 degrees and less than $50 usually.
    +1
    those are great bars.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,608
    Well, I broke down and pre-ordered the latest Jones Loop. Now I just have to wait until Nov. 20th for it to ship. Maybe the used market for Loop bars will improve now that Jones is coming out with a new run of bars. Thanks for all the replies folks.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    445
    Hey bluestatevirgin, wondering if you have an update? I just picked up a Jones Loop bar for a gravel grinder project but threw them on my single speed just to see how they felt. Maiden voyage was real nice, but time will tell if they will stay. I was also considering the Soma Clarence bar, as I won't be using the forward loop and it might be nice to save 1/3 lb up front.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trrubicon06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    257
    Not sure if posted. My Origin8 Pro-Torq Space Off Road bars. Love them. Cheap for $40 shipped on Amazon too.



    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Hey bluestatevirgin, wondering if you have an update? I just picked up a Jones Loop bar for a gravel grinder project but threw them on my single speed just to see how they felt. Maiden voyage was real nice, but time will tell if they will stay. I was also considering the Soma Clarence bar, as I won't be using the forward loop and it might be nice to save 1/3 lb up front.
    Well, I have a number of rides on the Jones bars now, even with the rough winter weather. I came off a very wide set of salsa Whammy bars, and the Loop bar is narrower. Remember, I am on a Jones bike, so the bars are designed to work as a system with the bike. Here's my direct comparison to the Whammy's:
    1. I lost some precision on the steering control because the Whammy bars are wider. I noticed the sensation for the first couple rides then adapted so I don't notice the difference much anymore.
    2. The sweep on the Loop is better for climbing standing up. Puts your hands near your sides so you feel like your pumping on the bars. I like this advantage a lot.
    3. The Loop is more comfortable for me, especially while descending. The sweep allows you to get further back on the bike with more bend in your arms. However, on sharp turns while descending--or at other high speeds--is where I miss the wide Whammy bars most. Again, I'm adapting.

    I'm happy. The Loop is a great bar. If I were reading this thread now, based on my needs, I'd go with the Soma Clarance bar--or some other cheap alternative--because I don't particularly need, or use, the forward area on the Loop bar. If you want to mount lights, cameras, electronics, or like multiple hand positions, then go with the Jones. I think for gravel grinders and bike packers the Jones bar would be awesome.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    445
    Thanks for the review. There aren't too many reviews of the Clarence bar out there, but I think I'm going to pick one up anyway. I liked the width of the Loop, similar to the Easton riser I had on there before, but I'm not sure about the forward loop for use on my SS (though I wonder if the forward loop aids in stiffness, esp. for the ti version). It just seems like a lot of extra mass on the front of my bike. For for a gravel grinder, the alternative hand positions will be nice.

    Looks like these are the options in the similar sweep range (miss any?):

    (width, sweep, rise, weight, cost) all 31.8 clamp

    Jones H-Bar: 590mm, 45deg, 13mm, 430g (400g Ti), $120 ($380)
    Jones Loop H-Bar: 667mm, 45deg, 13mm, 502g (485g Ti), $120 ($380)
    Soma Clarence: 660mm, 40deg, 37mm, 350g, $60
    On-One Mary: 645mm, 40-ish?, 37mm, 289g, $40

  24. #74
    jl
    jl is offline
    climb
    Reputation: jl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Looks like these are the options in the similar sweep range (miss any?):

    (width, sweep, rise, weight, cost) all 31.8 clamp

    Jones H-Bar: 590mm, 45deg, 13mm, 430g (400g Ti), $120 ($380)
    Jones Loop H-Bar: 667mm, 45deg, 13mm, 502g (485g Ti), $120 ($380)
    Soma Clarence: 660mm, 40deg, 37mm, 350g, $60
    On-One Mary: 645mm, 40-ish?, 37mm, 289g, $40
    The clarence bar is an exact copy of the mary bar. The clarence bar is not as wide as advertised. I've run both and there is no difference, except the finish.
    Ride On!

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,608
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    The clarence bar is an exact copy of the mary bar. The clarence bar is not as wide as advertised. I've run both and there is no difference, except the finish.
    Interesting. Soma's website says it has two versions of the Clarance bar. One is 25.4 and another is 31.8. The 25.4 is listed as 660mm. The 31.8 is listed at 670mm. Which one did you use? Anybody with the 31.8 Clarance want to chime in here? This would mean that Soma is adding 30-40mmish to their advertising.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •