Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Hey, can you measure the bar width from bar end to bar end? A pic would be cool too, if not too much trouble. Thanks.
    Bars are 26 3/4" wide, center to center of bar @ ends. Pics of mine are in the 29 er Lynskey thread, last page.
    What i am finding after a couple of rides is that even though the bars are the same width, and end up the same distance from center of stem, it now feels like i need a bit of a longer stem. Weird, but the bars are comfy.
    Last edited by Zornff; 09-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Lynskey Pro 29 SL brushed etched.

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    Talking to Rody about some Ti luv handles, I'm thinking less sweep than the Mary's would be good for me. Eta looks like late November.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    I had Mary's, found them a bit narrow. After shopping around I found these:

Ti Cycles Double S Handlebar Reviews

680mm wide, 30 degree sweep, awesome bars, love 'em.
    In the product description it says there are thin and thick walled bars--thin for commuter and thick for mtb. Do you have the thick? Flexy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've only ridden flat bars, and I have a relatively new carbon fiber flat bar (Truvativ carbon fiber Noir), which I love, except I am trying to get into longer distance rides to get in shape, and the narrow flats are so damn uncomfortable. I am going to try out the Mary bars since they are on sale for 20 bucks. I really love the Jones h-bars, but they are currently unavailable.

I figure the Marys for $20 are good, and for that price I don't mind picking up an H-bar when they become available. Does anyone know when Jones will have H-bars in stock?

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    The Ti Cycles double S bar looks good, as does the Halo. I like the Jones H bar as I would like more hand positions, but less sweep. Rody is too backed up to do some mods I would like on the Luv Handles, and would be late November before they ship. The Halo looks like it would be perfect, but costs $ 240.00 more than the S bar, making it $ 420.00. Ouch ! Buck up or shut up I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fbabrove View Post
    I've only ridden flat bars, and I have a relatively new carbon fiber flat bar (Truvativ carbon fiber Noir), which I love, except I am trying to get into longer distance rides to get in shape, and the narrow flats are so damn uncomfortable. I am going to try out the Mary bars since they are on sale for 20 bucks. I really love the Jones h-bars, but they are currently unavailable.

I figure the Marys for $20 are good, and for that price I don't mind picking up an H-bar when they become available. Does anyone know when Jones will have H-bars in stock?
    Jones Loop bars are due in October. I assume the H-bars will come in the same time? On Jeff's blog, there's a link to his facebook page with some updated information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Jones Loop bars are due in October. I assume the H-bars will come in the same time? On Jeff's blog, there's a link to his facebook page with some updated information.
    Thanks, I didn't even think of looking at his blog. Do they sell out pretty fast when they become available?

mtbr member
    Thanks, I didn't even think of looking at his blog. Do they sell out pretty fast when they become available?
    Jeez, I have no idea. I could only speculate. No way to know how many sets of bars he's getting. I've kind of been looking to buy a pair of loop bars for about 6 months now. I've placed wanted ads here, watched ebay and craigslist, and whatnot. I've seen a couple sets on Ebay, but they sell quickly and for the same price as a new pair would cost. So there is a demand out there as Jeff's been out for some time. If you really want a set, you can go to Jeff's store, find the bars, and instead of a purchase button there's a button that says "notify me" when they come in.

If you don't know how long it'll be before you can afford a set, I wouldn't stress too much because I think you can find a set used if you're diligent. If you're interested in the Cut H-bar, Titec makes a version that's easier to find used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all the info. I haven't decided yet between cut bar or the loop. It depends on which is better for running a 1x9 setup.

saddlemeat
    Thanks for all the info. I haven't decided yet between cut bar or the loop. It depends on which is better for running a 1x9 setup.
    The loop is better for shifters. You can make shifters work on the cut bar but it's not ideal...
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looking to upgrade my specialized comp 29er bar. It is not very friendly when trying to maneuver around tight technical trail riding. Any suggestions?

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    Just ordered the Ti Cycles S bar. Going to try to fit short bar ends at the bend apex for another hand position. We'll see.

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    The Soma Clarence bars are 40 degree sweep.

mtbr member
    I've been waiting and waiting... I like Jeff a lot, but his production times/output are a bit of a let down given that he's sourcing them overseas. I'm on the fence as I've owned 3 pairs of his original "H" bars and really wanted to try out the loop bars. I think these are what I may go with to save a few bucks and get the basic look/feel I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by Elderberry View Post

Decided to try the Origin8 Bullnose after experimenting with lotsa different sweep, rise, etc. Felt kinda goofy installing it, but the ride is awesome.

Dinner for wolves
    I wonder if the Origin8 Bullnose will play nice with the various handlebar bike pack systems out there (Revelate, Bedrock, etc). It looks like a nice alternative to the Alu Loop bars...especially if you consider that price includes the stem.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    I wonder if the Origin8 Bullnose will play nice with the various handlebar bike pack systems out there (Revelate, Bedrock, etc). It looks like a nice alternative to the Alu Loop bars...especially if you consider that price includes the stem.
    I'd guess you might have to modify a "stock" handlebar harness to work with the BullNose, the price compared to the Jones with a stem would be enough to have a custom harness made. The things that make me raise an eyebrow are the sweep, the Jones has a lot more sweep. My wrists aren't limp so the crazy sweep isn't 100% necessary. Fixed angle, you can adjust the Jones to meet your needs, weight... I have to imagine the steel Bully's are going to be a touch on the heavy side. For ME, I think they'll work well and at the price point I think they will go on the list for sure, was hoping to hear from users who have them as to their experience thus far.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    ... was hoping to hear from users who have them as to their experience thus far.
    Give it a year or two...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yea I really want some Jones loops as well, but I'm afraid money will be tight by the time they come around (I was hoping to get some now with some student load money). I picked up the Mary bars for 30 bucks shipped (they are on sale for 19.99 right now). I figure that's not a bad price to experiment with some different style bars.

Those Origin 8 Bullnose bars look pretty sweet...maybe I shouldn't have rushed ordering the Marys. The Marys will be arriving Thursday, and I'll post about how they feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Mary

Mary bars came in today. I put them on to see how they feel, and so far so good. Steering feels different, but much smoother. It feels great compared to flat bars: I'm no longer leaning on my wrists, if you know that feeling I'm talking about. I feel like my riding posture is definitely improved.

Here are a couple pics, but I need some [new] grips and I will put some longer cables on. I'll post some more pics soon, but for $20.00 (30 shipped) I am happy! They look better than I thought they would.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Give it a year or two...
    No need, found a good deal on some. Should be to me in about a week... stay tuned.

Mary bars came in today. I put them on to see how they feel, and so far so good. Steering feels different, but much smoother. It feels great compared to flat bars: I'm no longer leaning on my wrists, if you know that feeling I'm talking about. I feel like my riding posture is definitely improved.

Here are a couple pics, but I need some [new] grips and I will put some longer cables on. I'll post some more pics soon, but for $20.00 (30 shipped) I am happy! They look better than I thought they would.
    I like the color contrast on your frame, post up after a few rides to let us know your thoughts on the sweep

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, so I have gone on a few different rides the last couple of days with the Marys, and all I've got are positive things to say so far.

I threw on some thick foam grips, which are are pretty comfortable on the Marys. For my first ride, I put on some cyclocross tires and rode around the streets and neighborhood. It actually makes riding around fun, because I can kind of relax my posture. It feels like a cruiser!

I road to the Everglades and did a gravel levy road. I only did 15 miles, but I am not in the best of shape and this road is brutal: at noon in south Florida on an elevated, rough gravel road with not a tree or other source of shade anywhere even close to the levy road (plus my fitness level isn't the best, *yet*). After riding this levy many times with flat bars, I definitely noticed the difference: The Marys put pretty much zero stress on my wrists, and it made the ride more enjoyable. One less thing to notice/think about. The Marys definitely excelled here.

Next, I put my nobbies back on and went over to Markham Park this morning. Markham has a lot of technical terrain, with some rocks and a fair share of nasty roots. I was pretty skeptical how the Marys would feel, especially when things get twisty. Again, I am kind of shocked at how they performed. Besides the added wrist comfort, the bars presented a sort of paradox for me: they are easier to lift up on to clear obstacles than my flats were, but they are also extremely easy to get on top of during climbs (though short, the climbs feel long for me because I'm not in the best of shape).
    In the twitchy stuff with quick turns, the Marys turned just fine: very spry and quick.

I am extremely surprised at how they performed. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting much. I suppose my expectations were dropped quite a bit, because I went from expecting to get some Jones for $120 to some Marys for $20.

I am pretty amazed that for 20 bucks these bars make such a big difference (wish I didn't spend the money on my carbon bars when doing my build). Though its early, it seems like it will be pretty hard for me to go away from sweeps.

The one thing I am not crazy about is it was a bit difficult to get my rear brake lever and rear trigger (I run 1x9) shifter in a comfortable position, but eventually I got it pretty close and it on took a few minutes of getting used to.

I'll probably pick up a backup set of Marys while they are on sale. Now comes the question: What do I do when the Jones Loops become available?? They sure do look sweet...

mtbr member
    I passed both my Mary bars to my kids. They seemed happy with it.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    don't know if this helps or just makes things worst.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Lovin' the white Oury grips!

mtbr member
    Ok, so I have gone on a few different rides the last couple of days with the Marys, and all I've got are positive things to say so far.

I threw on some thick foam grips, which are are pretty comfortable on the Marys. For my first ride, I put on some cyclocross tires and rode around the streets and neighborhood. It actually makes riding around fun, because I can kind of relax my posture. It feels like a cruiser!

I road to the Everglades and did a gravel levy road. I only did 15 miles, but I am not in the best of shape and this road is brutal: at noon in south Florida on an elevated, rough gravel road with not a tree or other source of shade anywhere even close to the levy road (plus my fitness level isn't the best, *yet*). After riding this levy many times with flat bars, I definitely noticed the difference: The Marys put pretty much zero stress on my wrists, and it made the ride more enjoyable. One less thing to notice/think about. The Marys definitely excelled here.

Next, I put my nobbies back on and went over to Markham Park this morning. Markham has a lot of technical terrain, with some rocks and a fair share of nasty roots. I was pretty skeptical how the Marys would feel, especially when things get twisty. Again, I am kind of shocked at how they performed. Besides the added wrist comfort, the bars presented a sort of paradox for me: they are easier to lift up on to clear obstacles than my flats were, but they are also extremely easy to get on top of during climbs (though short, the climbs feel long for me because I'm not in the best of shape).
    In the twitchy stuff with quick turns, the Marys turned just fine: very spry and quick.

I am extremely surprised at how they performed. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting much. I suppose my expectations were dropped quite a bit, because I went from expecting to get some Jones for $120 to some Marys for $20.

I am pretty amazed that for 20 bucks these bars make such a big difference (wish I didn't spend the money on my carbon bars when doing my build). Though its early, it seems like it will be pretty hard for me to go away from sweeps.

The one thing I am not crazy about is it was a bit difficult to get my rear brake lever and rear trigger (I run 1x9) shifter in a comfortable position, but eventually I got it pretty close and it on took a few minutes of getting used to.

I'll probably pick up a backup set of Marys while they are on sale. Now comes the question: What do I do when the Jones Loops become available?? They sure do look sweet...
    So, not only do they look sharp on the bike, they are comfortable and helped improve performance at a budget price. Nice! Looks like you can put the $100 you just saved from the Jones bars to use in another area of the bike.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast