Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Clipless Pedals with Platform - What is Best?

I'm looking to upgrade to clipless pedals (from Odyssey Trail Mix pedals) using the Shimano SPD system. I want a pedal with the clip on one side and a platform on the other to have the option to not have to always clip in or wear flip-flops for around town.

All I can find are the Shimano PD-M324 ( Product ) which will do the trick, but they are fairly heavy (533g).

Any better or lighter-weight options out there?

mtbr member
    Shimano XT Trail pedals are awesome. I love mine.

mtbr member
    There are also the Shimano PD-530. Personally, I hate that type of pedal. They always have the wrong side facing up, irrespective of what shoes you have on. I rather use something like the Shimano PD-M647. SPD and platform on both sides.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I've got the dx, but they're platform and clip on both sides. There's nothing higher than commuter level with what you're asking for

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've run the DX for years and like it.

Forte (Performance brand) used to have a great platform with pins on one side, clipless on the other. It is lightweight (lighter than my DX's) and really performs well. Not sure if they still make it since I bought mine four or five years ago. A bit more cumbersome to clip than dual-entry, but I highly recommend them as a versatile pedal...if you can find them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I ride a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet DH and like them.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    +1 on the Shimano DX. A bit heavy, but bomber. Plastic cage is replaceable if you really smash it on something. I have smashed mine hard many times on rocks and ground with no problems. The plastic cage can squeak in dusty environs, so keep them lubed. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here's a couple more, PD-M545 and PD-T780

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    I am leaning more towards these as I have heard them suggested by several people at my LBS. Can you ride these pedals around town (in non-clip shoes) or does the clip-in area mound up too much and become uncomfortable?

Product

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    I ride a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet DH and like them.
    Why Crank Brothers over SPD (simple answer as I know this can be a contentious point)?

mtbr member

Re: Clipless Pedals with Platform - What is Best?

Time Z's... More float than spd if you're into that sort of thing.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by onpaperwings View Post
    Why Crank Brothers over SPD (simple answer as I know this can be a contentious point)?
    It's a real platform unlike all the other suggestions.

I had the Mallets 3, real ridable platform, adjustable pins.

The other choices have a tiny platform to offer a little more contact area, but you're not riding those for long without being clipped in or with regular shoes.
    I like that on the Mallets if I was trying something techincal, I could unclip and still have a good pedal, or when out riding pavement with kids I could ride regular shoes.

If I didn't move to flats I'd still be on them. My wife has been for years.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You could also get some good SPD-only pedals (without cage) and the SM-PD22 adapters for the "around the town" use case. They are cheap and can be installed in about 20 seconds if you have a suitable screwdriver near them. I use them together with PD-M540 for commuting to work.

Forget about riding on XT-Trails with normal shoes -> Zero grip. I have the XTR Trails on another bike. The platform is far too low beyond the click mechanism to give any support and you will stand only on the middle section. It's only some kind of bashguard.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    There are also the Shimano PD-530. Personally, I hate that type of pedal. They always have the wrong side facing up, irrespective of what shoes you have on. I rather use something like the Shimano PD-M647. SPD and platform on both sides.
    This. I had the 324's and I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get the right side... ultimately, I went to a set of Crank brothers Eggbeaters and a set of platforms. In the wintertime, I run the platforms and the rest of the year, the eggbeaters. I'll be getting a set of these when they become available: Pub Pedals | Indiegogo
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have no experience with SPDs, so I can't give you a comparative answer. However, as I used to ride a lot of BMX and am just getting back into MTB, I wanted something with good platform. So far, about 175 miles into them, I like them quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I 'd get 545s for my commuter/shopping bike if they had reflectors.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks - makes a lot of sense.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the SM-PD22 adaptors. Seem like they would work well for the few times I would need to ride around town and not clip in.

Good to know about the XT-Trail pedals. I wouldn't think of trying to use them without being clipped in on the trail, but was thinking about around the neighborhood. It seems as they wouldn't really be comfortable even for that.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the SM-PD22 adaptors. Seem like they would work well for the few times I would need to ride around town and not clip in.

Good to know about the XT-Trail pedals. I wouldn't think of trying to use them without being clipped in on the trail, but was thinking about around the neighborhood. It seems as they wouldn't really be comfortable even for that.
    Those adaptors are useless. Because they unbalance the pedals (more weight on the adaptor side) they always hang upside down. You try to turn them over with your foot and they flip back to the bottom.

The XT trail pedals are designed for SPD shoes. The platform is recessed so that the sole is on the platform when clicked in. Sneakers will sit on top of the cleat clips, not the platform.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, the adapters are always on the bottom side of the pedal. However I've gotten used to it and can turn the pedal with the tip of my foot while placing the foot on it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up going with the Shimano PD-M785 and I love them. Took them on my first proper ride this weekend and they worked flawlessly and, even better, I didn't fall.

I'm very happy I did not go with a 50/50 platform/clip pedal because I like having clips on both sides so I don't have to look down and find the clip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Is clipping in and out of these pedals pretty easy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    yep!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sk30626 View Post
    Is clipping in and out of these pedals pretty easy?
    Yes, I find it quite easy and have not yet had a problem getting out of the pedals when needed. They have an adjustable tension spring that you can loosen or tighten the clip strength.

I started out completely loose and now have the tension about half way and that seems to be the sweet spot - tight enough to not come out of the pedal when pedaling, but loose enough to get out of in an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast