mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Chris King BB issue?

I just had a CK BB installed on my SS. I'v done about 6 rides with it,After doing a very rocky technical trail occassionally I woulf feel for lack of better description a slight instance of a crunchiness..for 1 or 2 revolutions of the crank.Today on a major sustained climb I felt it consistently.I checked out the crank rotating it with the rear wheel held up...no resistance or noise.On the flats when I was spinning like mad...felt fine.So its only on very steep climbs.Do you think its just because the stress of a SS climb.Also it was when I was out of the saddle really grinding upward slowly.I checked crank/BB interface and everything is tight.Is this something I just have to live with?Experiences?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a Chris King BB that's been on the bike for years (since they first became available). Never had any problems with it and it makes no noise. Does your bike have an EBB or sliders? If it's an EBB, I would probably go ahead and pull the crank and clean the EBB to frame interface and add some grease or anti-sieze. If it has sliders (or horizontal dropouts, or a tensioner) I would check all the chainring bolts, crank bolts, etc. But if you had someone else install the BB, just take it back to them and have them figure it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Actually I called the LBS and there going to check it out free of charge.Frustrating paying this much for the BB(if thats the problem) and have an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Definitely not normal. Have two of them and both are smooth.