mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Choosing first set of tires

I'm 185 lbs or so I just bought a set of arch ex tubeless wheels. I'm in West Texas so loose gravel dirt and hard packed dirt is what I think I will be seeing mainly.

Thinking an ardent 2.4 up front and maybe ikon in the back? I'm honestly not too sure. Panaracer rampage sound good. Specialized ground control or racing Ralphs.

I'd like to roll fast but maintain a good amount of control while not popping a tire on a jump. I dream big.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Choosing first set of tires

I am running ikon front and igniter rear. I like them but I think I will try some bigger meat for out here when they come to replacing. I don't think I would like the ikon on the back. I am in El Paso and it makes Arizona look like a tropical paradise, lots of rocks.

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.4 is a great front tire with lots of grab. I wouldn't pair it with an Ikon though as that tire is fast and fun, but it doesn't hook up with the terrain like the Ardent does. I have the big Ardent as my front tire on my trail wheels and my rear tire is either a mountain king or a nobby nic depending on how I feel on the day I make the purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    DANNNN

What's up man?

Still looking for more opinions on tires.

Thinking maybe Ardent or Mountain King 2.4 up front, and something 2.2/2.3 in back but not sure what tire. As you know Dan, i love the fast and flowy trails, those are my favorite. However, I am trying to improve my technical riding and when my new bike had wider (from 2.2 to 2.3) tires it seemed to help, so I am not even certain I need something like the Ardent 2.4 up front. My current tires are Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 2.3...