mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Cheap wheelset for street/rail triail

Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap wheel set that will hold my 290# just for riding around on the streets and gravel rail trail here in PA. I hate swapping out my tires every time I just want to hit the streets after work. I ride a Trek Stache 7 with a 15mm front and 142x12mm rear axle. Im not looking for a road race type wheel, but a wheel set i can put and thinner xc tire on. If it matters I run 203/180mm six bolt rotor I was planning on getting a 2nd set of rotors for the new wheel set. Thanks in advance. Any suggestions/advice is welcome.

Fat-tired Roadie
    IME, when one is ready to spend money on a second wheelset for that kind of thing, it's really time for another bike. Though I was always considering a bigger swap - all the way to road slicks.

So I'm going to subject you to a paragraph of snark - if you don't like swapping tires, don't do it. Mountain bike tires to also mountain bike tires doesn't seem like that big a change.

Since your bike has one of the newer hub standards, you don't get a ton of selection. I got a set of wheels from bicyclewheelwarehouse.com a couple years ago. They're very competitive on price and do (or did) configurable builds. So you could order something with the right hubs for you, probably only in 32-spoke, but do 36 if it's available, use the thicker butted spokes, and do a little research on the rims available - I'd be looking for a well-regarded, eyeleted rim.

Most of the strength of a wheel, especially a traditionally-designed one, is in its build. IMO, BWW did a great job on that aspect for me.

Be aware that you're not guaranteed that your rotors and cassette will land in quite the right places not to drag/require a tweak to shift cable tension. You can probably figure out something with spacers, and if your hubs are available aftermarket, you can probably do better if you get the same thing again.

You might also consider some hot new wheels for your main trail riding. They won't do anything for you, but buying 'A' wheels is more fun than buying 'B' wheels. Then, use your stock wheels for after-work rides.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look for a takeoff set on ebay or in the classified on this site.