mtbr member

Cheap way to get up and running

I have a Salsa El Mariachi LE 2007 frame. Is there a way to get this up and runing for around $400? I was almost thinking about buying a cheap specialized and swapping over all the parts. I really want to run just a single speed crank and 9 speed rear drivetrain with one shifter and just a rear disc brake....any suggestions?

Turns right to go left
    You should be able to grab a used bike or even something from Bikes Direct and do a parts swap for under $400.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Probably find better deals on 10 speed than 9. Plus if you are going 1X a clutch is nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You want a front brake, really. 2007 parts spec? Way different stuff now. Tapered headtubes, as well as hub widths for starters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Bike direct isn't a bad idea. you could even flip the frame for a few bucks.

I'd look for used parts though, that way you know you're getting what you need and it will be CHEAP!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    Bike direct isn't a bad idea. you could even flip the frame for a few bucks.

I'd look for used parts though, that way you know you're getting what you need and it will be CHEAP!!!!
    I would love to buy used stuff, but I dont know where to begin....I would need help with everything I have never built from the ground up.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Probably best to sell the frame and buy a complete at that budget/experience level.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Moderator Moderator
    May 2009
    If you don't have the tools (bottom bracket, headset for instance), that's going to affect your budget.

mtbr member
    couple weeks old i know, but I have built 7 or 8 times over the last 13 years or so and have to learn something every time.
    Each time there is something new or different, now being older, yours would have less of the numerous nuances that we run into these days when building a bike, chainwheel position, rotor size, boost, hyrdraulics, tire size, thru axle, etc........ As far as parts, you can use classifieds here and pinkbike.com, ebay, amazon, and craigslist. For me it is always a combination of these. If you live near any sort of mtn. bike haven towns, craigslist will have items for sure. I found brand new stems on ebay from bikewagon for 12 bucks. Short ones too.... Found wheels on craigslist. The other tricky issue though is headset and bottom brackets. You have to know exactly what is going on there, your salsa may even be non tapered tube.
    Some suggested bikes direct, but chances are the parts on those bikes may be to new to fit the salsa. I can tell you it is tricky building from ground up unless your swapping over with same vintage and same specifications.
    Like someone said, you could sell the frame, get your budget to 500 or so, and look at craigslist or bikes direct and just get whole bike.
    I do have some parts, you can message me for more info. But like someone else said, as you go along, you will be buying tools as well, that opens up another can of worms of different sizes and such, and you might have to get headset or bottom bracket pressed at shop, have shop put on the race ring on the fork tubes, etc...............

Cycologist
    That's a nice steel frame. If you're willing to gather the parts, needed tools and learn how to wrench a bike, worthy project. Yeah, you need a brake on the front as well.

Figure out the specs, check what the parts and tools will run you and decide if it is worth the money. The fork will probably be the most expensive part if you piecemeal instead of buying a bike to swap out.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

$450 for a bike. Size doesn't matter if you are moving everything over. You'll need to make sure any of these bikes matches as far as hub spacing, steering tube design, brakes, BB and axel style. This is just an example of a nicely built bike that has all the components for about 1/2 you'd pay doing it piecewise on CL or eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Don't blow your entire budget on the swap out bike. There will always be about $50 worth of small parts you will need to pick up either online or at your LBS.