Dirt Huffer

(Cheap) Chinese Ti?

I want to upgrade my Murry 29er. Where can get a good-quality Ti frame replacement?

mtbr member
    In general, the problem with chinese knock offs is that, even though they are made with same material using the same design by the same workers in the same factory as the authentic products, they don't practice quality control. Take a look at shoes for example. Nikes that are made in China are good quality, but the knock offs made by the same people using same design and material that didn't have to get approved by Nike are crap - they'll wear out faster, they'll fall apart faster, and they are not as comfortable/functional.

That being said, the only cheap chinese made titanium frame that I would take chance with would be Carver titanium frames. Frames. Because they do the finishing work (quality control, inspection, etc) before they sell, you are less likely to get bad frame that can be common to the typical chinese titanium frames. And because you only have to deal with them regarding warranty and such, instead of dealing with someone from China, it'll be easier and more convenient to deal with them rather than with someone directly in China.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    From what I've read, Carver frames are made by xacd in China. That's where I had mine custom built directly. No issues for me, it's been 4 years now. I would probably do it again if I was thinking of another custom ti frame. But, I agree about the quality control thing. I bought my wife a Motobecane Ti bike 3 years ago (built by ORA in China) and 1 month ago, the downtube cracked badly, no impact no nothing. Really seems like some sort of weakness in the tube. Motobecane has sent me a new frame. If my xacd frame broke, I'm sure there is nothing I could do about it, except order a new frame for $650 delivered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 19" ti frame for sale. I ordered it from Xa'in titanproducts. I've heard they provide oem for some "american" bikes. Great bike, quality is good, but at 40 and just having 2 shoulder surgeries I'm having to go FS. Would love to keep two bikes but don't have the space... or money.