Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

cheap chinese stems, seat posts, handle bars, etc.

I want to find a cannondale carbon stem. 1.5 x 120 x 20 rise. I wonder which chinese vender sells 1.5 stems? is there a thread about which bars and seat post are better?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    I want to find a cannondale carbon stem. 1.5 x 120 x 20 rise. I wonder which chinese vender sells 1.5 stems? is there a thread about which bars and seat post are better?
    Why not just buy the $70 Cannondale 1.5 x 120 x 20?

Plays with tools
    Is your dental insurance current?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    No kidding. Why would you trust your life to some unknown company with probably non-existent testing and quality standards.

I ride bikes
    Carbon stems are a waste of money. Aluminum is the way to go with stems. They are usually just as light.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Carbon stems are a waste of money. Aluminum is the way to go with stems. They are usually just as light.
    This is true.......

Plays with tools
    While that is normally the case, weight isn't the only thing that matters with bike parts.

mtbr member
    While that is normally the case, weight isn't the only thing that matters with bike parts.
    Also true.....

FWIW I have been running China carbon bars on my rigid SS for 2 years. Don't buy into the "unbranded" parts from China are bad. Some yes.....all no. Some MTBR's think that if you put a Specialized logo on a part and magically it is somehow better.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Also true.....

FWIW I have been running China carbon bars on my rigid SS for 2 years. Don't buy into the "unbranded" parts from China are bad. Some yes.....all no. Some MTBR's think that if you put a Specialized logo on a part and magically it is somehow better.
    And some people use MTBR to determine which products are good value for their money, meaning that they last and don't break. I love the idea of buying a $30 handlebar that weighs less than 200 grams, but I wouldn't put it to the test until I knew that there weren't problems with it! I really don't want to break my collar bone because I saved $70 on a handlebar!

I am in no way an Easton fanboy, I think their stuff is boring looking and not terribly innovative, but the stuff lasts and isn't really that expensive when compared to dr. bills and months recovering on the couch.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Why not just buy the $70 Cannondale 1.5 x 120 x 20?
    2 nd this how much cheaper do you want ?
    Great point
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Well, I have an aluminum Cannondale. I think a carbon stem would stifle the aluminum vibration. This bike hurts my wrist.

Is a Chinese made Cannondale good, but a Chinese made stem bad? Direct from China a carbon stem is $39.
    3 middlemen from China a Cannondale C3 stem is $70. This is not a premium stem. NO, it is of Walmart quality.
    With an odd size,(1.5), they have you over a barrel, (bend over).

My problem is the bike hurts my wrist. A solution might be to get a carbon stem, longer and higher. 120 x 1.5 x 20.

Does someone other than Cannondale make 1.5 stems?

mtbr member
    It all comes from China. Is there a way to cheat the sales guy out of his 90% mark up?

Always Learning
    Well, I have an aluminum Cannondale. I think a carbon stem would stifle the aluminum vibration. This bike hurts my wrist.

Is a Chinese made Cannondale good, but a Chinese made stem bad? Direct from China a carbon stem is $39.
    3 middlemen from China a Cannondale C3 stem is $70. This is not a premium stem. NO, it is of Walmart quality.
    With an odd size,(1.5), they have you over a barrel, (bend over).

My problem is the bike hurts my wrist. A solution might be to get a carbon stem, longer and higher. 120 x 1.5 x 20.

Does someone other than Cannondale make 1.5 stems?
    I doubt a stem is going to take away your wrist pain. Too tight of a death grip when you ride? Not soft enough grips on your bars? Incorrect weight balance due to bars out of position (too low) putting undue pressure on your wrists? Bad wrist angle? Saddle not level to nose slightly up? Front fork not set up properly? Running too high of psi in your front tire? Wearing comfortable, supportive padded gloves?

Lots of things to consider where your wrist pain is coming from rather than a stem swap from alloy to carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the lower cost is from cutting out the Design engineer, Test engineering and Quality control staff.

unrooted
    Last night I was reading a review on ENVE rims which I thought would be rad to have. Dude broke the rear wheel and seperated his shoulder. The good thing about carbon is it doesn't bend-it shatters!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbeer View Post
    I think the lower cost is from cutting out the Design engineer, Test engineering and Quality control staff.
    Some of the China unbranded products are just that........unbranded. Many factories build products for the big box companies (Special Ed, Trek and so on) and the EXACT products without logos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Some of the China unbranded products are just that........unbranded. Many factories build products for the big box companies (Special Ed, Trek and so on) and the EXACT products without logos.
    So you prefer to reward the thief then the company that put in the hard work to create the product you desire?

Yes I know it's a stretch, but if we all started buying the unbranded stuff, who's going to fund the R&D for new products?

Also just because a factory make a Specialized handle bar, doesn't mean their unbranded bar is made from the same materials and held to the same QC.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I believe the main problem is not unbranded items (which I don't think is widely available personally), but the copy-cats/fakes which may look like the original, but are much inferior in quality due to the reason mentioned. In general if a product is popular or has some market, you can bet copy-cats will be sold. Check out cycling parts on taobao.com or aliexpress.com to get some idea.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I keep asking the people that make these claims to back them up with some hard data. So far, no one has been able to. Without proof, it's purely armchair speculation.

I'll second the poster who said a carbon stem won't help your wrist pain. A proper fitting would be the best investment.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So you prefer to reward the thief then the company that put in the hard work to create the product you desire?

Yes I know it's a stretch, but if we all started buying the unbranded stuff, who's going to fund the R&D for new products?

Also just because a factory make a Specialized handle bar, doesn't mean their unbranded bar is made from the same materials and held to the same QC.
    Sorry but you are a bit misinformed. Many companies contract with factories in China and Taiwan to make their products. You know Specialized does not make all of their own products??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    I believe the main problem is not unbranded items (which I don't think is widely available personally), but the copy-cats/fakes which may look like the original, but are much inferior in quality due to the reason mentioned. In general if a product is popular or has some market, you can bet copy-cats will be sold. Check out cycling parts on taobao.com or aliexpress.com to get some idea.
    Agree there are several copy cat junk knock offs. There are also very good factories making products for several OEM's.

unrooted
    Agree there are several copy cat junk knock offs. There are also very good factories making products for several OEM's.

So can you forward me a list of the companies that are making the OEM products, and can you verify that what they are selling on Ebay isn't a second, or somehow meant to be directed to the dumpster because of a problem with manufacturing that product?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    So can you forward me a list of the companies that are making the OEM products, and can you verify that what they are selling on Ebay isn't a second, or somehow meant to be directed to the dumpster because of a problem with manufacturing that product?
    Seriously? You think that (most OEM's) have their own factories in Taiwan and China making their products?

mtbr member
    I doubt a stem is going to take away your wrist pain. Too tight of a death grip when you ride? Not soft enough grips on your bars? Incorrect weight balance due to bars out of position (too low) putting undue pressure on your wrists? Bad wrist angle? Saddle not level to nose slightly up? Front fork not set up properly? Running too high of psi in your front tire? Wearing comfortable, supportive padded gloves?

Lots of things to consider where your wrist pain is coming from rather than a stem swap from alloy to carbon.
    To truly get at what OP is looking for, this ^^^

Stem material will make little to no difference (alleviating wrist pain) and you may sacrifice stiffness and durability... not to mention $$. If your wrist hurts while you ride, it's most likely due to the amount of weight your applying to the handlebars. Try a riser stem and/or a wider bar.

I say this because I too suffer from numb hands... have tried many, many grips, carbon bars, titanium bike... only to find that FIT is the key. Fancy materials may lighten up a bike, but in the end, tire pressure (tubeless enabled) and fit will make the biggest difference in how comfortable your ride is. The rest is a very incrementally small, cumulative effect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry but you are a bit misinformed. Many companies contract with factories in China and Taiwan to make their products. You know Specialized does not make all of their own products??
    No ****, that still doesn't mean when they make to sell they don't cut corners.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Seriously? You think that (most OEM's) have their own factories in Taiwan and China making their products?
    You're pretty dense.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    currently riding carbon handlebar and seatpost on all four of my bikes and have yet to have a problem with any of them.

mtbr member
    Original, (me), poster was asking for a riser stem.
    Cannondale´s excessive corporate greed forces me to look elsewhere for a stem. MR Cannondale, stop biting the hand that feeds you. $70 and shipping and tax is a rip off.
    As far as research and development. The guy that envented the bicycle died before any of us were born.
    Dont make the mistake of thinking the guy that charges $70 for a $15 thing was the one that thought of it, or figured out how to make it. The sales guy has but a single talent. How to lie.

As long as we are off the orignal subject, (aftermarket stem), lets explore wrist pain.

Stem material will make little to no difference (alleviating wrist pain) and you may sacrifice stiffness and durability... not to mention $$. If your wrist hurts while you ride, it's most likely due to the amount of weight your applying to the handlebars. Try a riser stem and/or a wider bar.

I say this because I too suffer from numb hands... have tried many, many grips, carbon bars, titanium bike... only to find that FIT is the key. Fancy materials may lighten up a bike, but in the end, tire pressure (tubeless enabled) and fit will make the biggest difference in how comfortable your ride is. The rest is a very incrementally small, cumulative effect.

seat angle dont forget seat angel

now how to get a riser stem without the ripoff $70 price tag

mtbr member
    How about a different set of grips? I had wrist pain and bought a pair of Ergons. No more wrist pain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Original, (me), poster was asking for a riser stem.
    Cannondale´s excessive corporate greed forces me to look elsewhere for a stem. MR Cannondale, stop biting the hand that feeds you. $70 and shipping and tax is a rip off.
    As far as research and development. The guy that envented the bicycle died before any of us were born.
    Dont make the mistake of thinking the guy that charges $70 for a $15 thing was the one that thought of it, or figured out how to make it. The sales guy has but a single talent. How to lie.

As long as we are off the orignal subject, (aftermarket stem), lets explore wrist pain.

seat angle dont forget seat angel

Stop being a sheep.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Always Learning
    Compared to other well known stem brands, Syntace Force 109 costs about $70- $75; Syntace Flatforce is about $85 - $95; Thomson Elite X4 costs about $90 to $100; Easton EA 70 about $75; Easton EA 90 about $95; Ritchey SuperLogic Carbong about $300; Ritchey WCS Carbon Matrix about $160; Ritchey Classic 4 Axis about $90; Specialized S-Works about $100-$120; etc...and on and on - I don't see the Cannondale $70 price tag as being out of line at all.

BB (uses Syntace and Thomson stems exclusively on my mountain bikes)

Crash Dummy In Training
    Talk about beating a dead horse.
    Time to just pick one and move on.
    I just love how people ask for advice then argue it.
    Seem's simple to me buy the cheap one
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not generally, why would the Chinese factories risk their sales to the big bike brands to sell small quantities of parts at nearly Wholesale prices? On things like Fake North Face Jackets. The Fabric doesn't work as good as Real Gore-Tex and the Stitch Count (per inch) was too low. On something like a sytem you would have to do testing to determine whether it was up to structural standards.
    Theft from the Factory Floor is a big problem in China. They will steal small things like Electrical components before they go on PCBAs. So maybe that's where some of the exact products without logos come from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calboy View Post
    How about a different set of grips? I had wrist pain and bought a pair of Ergons. No more wrist pain.
    OP, the answer to your woes is staring you in the face.

The grip is the first point of contact - solve the problem as close as possible to its source. Consider the ergons with the mini bar ends, this will enable you to use both palm down and palm sideways to ride- the ability to rotate and change position often is more likely to get to the cause of the pain (unless you're a DH er)

mtbr member
    I have, Triple butted 2014 aluminum Ritchey pro rizer bar, ergon GP1 BioKork grips.
    The Cannondale bar, I set in the corner. The Cannondale grips, I put in a dumpster. The brake levers I put in the dumpster, because the cables pop out frequently. The chinese crankset I set infront of a dumpster. I replaced it with a $45 Shimano Acera Cranksets 8 speed. Which was about 3 steps up from the crank it came with. It came with Formula hubs and Alex rims. I replaced these with Stans arch and Shimano deore hubs. These weigh less than half what the alex wheels do. Alex wheels are still in the corner, for now. The front derailuer works. The rear derailuer I replaced with an XT rapid rise 9 speed. (Shimano 8 speed chain with KMC quick link works. Sram 8 speed quick link does not work with 9 speed Xt.)

Thompson makes a good stem. If they made a 1.5 .... they don't. Why should a C3 stem cost as much as a quality Thompson stem?

Should I abandon the frame too?

New it was over $700. I bought it for $331 at an REI garage sale.
    I just wanted an old beater to roll around on.

just need a stem to finish the project

mtbr member
    Have I explained my experiance with Cannondale level 4 bike parts?
    A chinese carbon stem is $39 not $300 like the name brand caarbon stem. I wonder what the shipping from Mainland China is?

Here is what I need. A bike to get me to a trail head. The bike sits behind a bush for a week or so while I hike. Then I roll down a gravel road, perhaps hit a trail or 2 on the way back too town.

Osprey back packs turn out to be worth a premium price. The Exos 46 is big enough for 10 day hikes. On the bike it is comfortable, at least compared to other packs. The netting on the back is riped after many trips. they sent me a ticket for free repairs. Think I´ll buy another Osprey.

In September, I saw 12 ounce cans of Coke a Cola for $2.75 a couple of days ride south of San Fransisco. I did not buy one. Perhaps the guy that thinks $70 is a fair price for a bottom of the line stem either sells them or lives in the $2.75 can of pop area.
    I got one for 60 cents earlier today.

mtbr member
    where to get a 1.5 inch aftermarket stem, that is the question = ?

ballbuster
    Second that. I've never seen a carbon stem that was lighter than a good forged alu stem. I'm sure they exist, but at the prices I've seen for quality full carbon stems, I'm not sure it's worthwhile to blow $200+ to save 10-20 grams unless you're the kind of guy who might actually get on a podium at a race where you can win lots of money.... or you're the kind of guy who drives a $100k car and spends $400 on lunch.

I usually just get Race Face Dues stems.... the chrome ones.... because they are pretty, reasonably light at 145 grams (lighter than Thompson), usually pretty cheap (I got my last couple of Deus stems under $40), and aren't noodley. I also like FSA OS115 stems with the carbon face... basically because they look good. They are about the same weight, and are pretty easy to find cheap.

BTW, there are FSA branded carbon stems on fleabay. I picked one up as a zero-bid for $15 shipped (fully expecting to be out-bid at the last minute). Turns out they are counterfeit. The easy way to tell is that they have a carbon band around the middle of an alu stem. FSA does not make a stem this way. I complained and got my money back... and kept the stem. Not sure I trust it enough to use it on anything... at least not a bike on dirt. I don't want any carbon parts on my street bikes for fear of being mistaken for a blingy part... I don't want to attract bike thieves.

I would just suggest that you browse craigslist or ebay for a used Cannondale SI stem. They are already pretty stupid light. I'm not sure you're going to do much better in the aftermarket.

AZ
    banned
    where to get a 1.5 inch aftermarket stem, that is the question = ?

Thomson

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone tried the SL-K brand carbon fiber components on eBay ?
    I have almost purchased them on more than one occasion but have not for fear of breaking them on the trail and breaking something more important ! Lol

mtbr member
    Just received a carbon riser bar (no name) I got off ebay for $28 shipped from China. Bought it on 10-22, arrived today! Seems solid, unable to see flaws. It's a carbon tube, not a very difficult or intricate mold. So, I'll give it a try.
    Goat Rider

mtbr member
    You're pretty dense.
    So TwoDumb care to explain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So TwoDumb care to explain?
    So you neg rep me because of you lack the ability to follow logic?

I was repling to this exchange:

unrooted never claimed that OEM weren't getting stuff made there, he asked you to show that the unbranded stuff wasn't seconds- you know the stuff that didn't meet the QC to have the brand name placed on it as sold as such. Really not hard to follow for most people.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    No ****, that still doesn't mean when they make to sell they don't cut corners.
    Who says that some companies don't cut corners when they make the OEM products?

BTW do you own any of these "cheap" rims?

mtbr member
    So you neg rep me because of you lack the ability to follow logic?

I was repling to this exchange:

unrooted never claimed that OEM weren't getting stuff made there, he asked you to show that the unbranded stuff wasn't seconds- you know the stuff that didn't meet the QC to have the brand name placed on it as sold as such. Really not hard to follow for most people.
    Honestly.........you are not very smart.

Let this rattle around in your small brain.

There are mega factory’s that produce products for OEM’s and aftermarket companies. They have production runs and will produce a set quantity of products for Company X and then produce products for Company Y. Are you following this so far?

That same factory will produce the same quality products that are “unbranded”. Not that hard to understand and is common in many industries.

Always Learning
    Perhaps the guy that thinks $70 is a fair price for a bottom of the line stem either sells them or lives in the $2.75 can of pop area.
    Insert large dose of sarcasm: Yes, I sell stems for a living.

Continuing with the dose: I don't drink "pop".

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by erickxcr View Post
    Has anyone tried the SL-K brand carbon fiber components on eBay ?
    I have almost purchased them on more than one occasion but have not for fear of breaking them on the trail and breaking something more important ! Lol
    Found this pic of a fake FSA busting:

FSA said they're cracking down on the counterfeiters. FULL SPEED AHEAD FIGHTS COUNTERFEITS

Other news on the subject:

Thomson Demonstrates Why You Should Watch Out for Counterfeit Parts

Fake bike kit costing industry millions a year - BikeRadar

Counterfeit Cycling Busts | Tailwind Coaching | Chinese Parts | The Daily Grind Cycling Journal
    Spec E29c
    Niner ROS9 SS
    Trek Crockett

Be part of the solution, not the pollution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Honestly.........you are not very smart.

Let this rattle around in your small brain.

There are mega factory’s that produce products for OEM’s and aftermarket companies. They have production runs and will produce a set quantity of products for Company X and then produce products for Company Y. Are you following this so far?

That same factory will produce the same quality products that are “unbranded”. Not that hard to understand and is common in many industries.
    And those same companies will sell seconds, is that too hard for a stupid **** as yourself to understand?
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2013
    And that's exactly why I have not purchased one ! Sure they can give you your $30-$40 back but how about the nasty crash and possible injury that might have cause !
    I'll stick with something from the LBS !

mtbr member
    And those same companies will sell seconds, is that too hard for a stupid **** as yourself to understand?
    TwoDumb

Do you have proof or just speculation?

Sure some might........but all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast