Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

cheap chinese stems, seat posts, handle bars, etc.

I want to find a cannondale carbon stem. 1.5 x 120 x 20 rise. I wonder which chinese vender sells 1.5 stems? is there a thread about which bars and seat post are better?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    I want to find a cannondale carbon stem. 1.5 x 120 x 20 rise. I wonder which chinese vender sells 1.5 stems? is there a thread about which bars and seat post are better?
    Why not just buy the $70 Cannondale 1.5 x 120 x 20?

Plays with tools
    Is your dental insurance current?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    No kidding. Why would you trust your life to some unknown company with probably non-existent testing and quality standards.

mtbr member
    Carbon stems are a waste of money. Aluminum is the way to go with stems. They are usually just as light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Carbon stems are a waste of money. Aluminum is the way to go with stems. They are usually just as light.
    This is true.......

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    While that is normally the case, weight isn't the only thing that matters with bike parts.

mtbr member
    While that is normally the case, weight isn't the only thing that matters with bike parts.
    Also true.....

FWIW I have been running China carbon bars on my rigid SS for 2 years. Don't buy into the "unbranded" parts from China are bad. Some yes.....all no. Some MTBR's think that if you put a Specialized logo on a part and magically it is somehow better.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Also true.....

FWIW I have been running China carbon bars on my rigid SS for 2 years. Don't buy into the "unbranded" parts from China are bad. Some yes.....all no. Some MTBR's think that if you put a Specialized logo on a part and magically it is somehow better.
    And some people use MTBR to determine which products are good value for their money, meaning that they last and don't break. I love the idea of buying a $30 handlebar that weighs less than 200 grams, but I wouldn't put it to the test until I knew that there weren't problems with it! I really don't want to break my collar bone because I saved $70 on a handlebar!

I am in no way an Easton fanboy, I think their stuff is boring looking and not terribly innovative, but the stuff lasts and isn't really that expensive when compared to dr. bills and months recovering on the couch.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Why not just buy the $70 Cannondale 1.5 x 120 x 20?
    2 nd this how much cheaper do you want ?
    Great point
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Well, I have an aluminum Cannondale. I think a carbon stem would stifle the aluminum vibration. This bike hurts my wrist.

Is a Chinese made Cannondale good, but a Chinese made stem bad? Direct from China a carbon stem is $39.
    3 middlemen from China a Cannondale C3 stem is $70. This is not a premium stem. NO, it is of Walmart quality.
    With an odd size,(1.5), they have you over a barrel, (bend over).

My problem is the bike hurts my wrist. A solution might be to get a carbon stem, longer and higher. 120 x 1.5 x 20.

Does someone other than Cannondale make 1.5 stems?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It all comes from China. Is there a way to cheat the sales guy out of his 90% mark up?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Well, I have an aluminum Cannondale. I think a carbon stem would stifle the aluminum vibration. This bike hurts my wrist.

Is a Chinese made Cannondale good, but a Chinese made stem bad? Direct from China a carbon stem is $39.
    3 middlemen from China a Cannondale C3 stem is $70. This is not a premium stem. NO, it is of Walmart quality.
    With an odd size,(1.5), they have you over a barrel, (bend over).

My problem is the bike hurts my wrist. A solution might be to get a carbon stem, longer and higher. 120 x 1.5 x 20.

Does someone other than Cannondale make 1.5 stems?
    I doubt a stem is going to take away your wrist pain. Too tight of a death grip when you ride? Not soft enough grips on your bars? Incorrect weight balance due to bars out of position (too low) putting undue pressure on your wrists? Bad wrist angle? Saddle not level to nose slightly up? Front fork not set up properly? Running too high of psi in your front tire? Wearing comfortable, supportive padded gloves?

Lots of things to consider where your wrist pain is coming from rather than a stem swap from alloy to carbon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think the lower cost is from cutting out the Design engineer, Test engineering and Quality control staff.

unrooted
    Last night I was reading a review on ENVE rims which I thought would be rad to have. Dude broke the rear wheel and seperated his shoulder. The good thing about carbon is it doesn't bend-it shatters!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbeer View Post
    I think the lower cost is from cutting out the Design engineer, Test engineering and Quality control staff.
    Some of the China unbranded products are just that........unbranded. Many factories build products for the big box companies (Special Ed, Trek and so on) and the EXACT products without logos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Some of the China unbranded products are just that........unbranded. Many factories build products for the big box companies (Special Ed, Trek and so on) and the EXACT products without logos.
    So you prefer to reward the thief then the company that put in the hard work to create the product you desire?

Yes I know it's a stretch, but if we all started buying the unbranded stuff, who's going to fund the R&D for new products?

Also just because a factory make a Specialized handle bar, doesn't mean their unbranded bar is made from the same materials and held to the same QC.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I believe the main problem is not unbranded items (which I don't think is widely available personally), but the copy-cats/fakes which may look like the original, but are much inferior in quality due to the reason mentioned. In general if a product is popular or has some market, you can bet copy-cats will be sold. Check out cycling parts on taobao.com or aliexpress.com to get some idea.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I keep asking the people that make these claims to back them up with some hard data. So far, no one has been able to. Without proof, it's purely armchair speculation.

I'll second the poster who said a carbon stem won't help your wrist pain. A proper fitting would be the best investment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    So you prefer to reward the thief then the company that put in the hard work to create the product you desire?

Yes I know it's a stretch, but if we all started buying the unbranded stuff, who's going to fund the R&D for new products?

Also just because a factory make a Specialized handle bar, doesn't mean their unbranded bar is made from the same materials and held to the same QC.
    Sorry but you are a bit misinformed. Many companies contract with factories in China and Taiwan to make their products. You know Specialized does not make all of their own products??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    I believe the main problem is not unbranded items (which I don't think is widely available personally), but the copy-cats/fakes which may look like the original, but are much inferior in quality due to the reason mentioned. In general if a product is popular or has some market, you can bet copy-cats will be sold. Check out cycling parts on taobao.com or aliexpress.com to get some idea.
    Agree there are several copy cat junk knock offs. There are also very good factories making products for several OEM's.

unrooted
    Agree there are several copy cat junk knock offs. There are also very good factories making products for several OEM's.

So can you forward me a list of the companies that are making the OEM products, and can you verify that what they are selling on Ebay isn't a second, or somehow meant to be directed to the dumpster because of a problem with manufacturing that product?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    So can you forward me a list of the companies that are making the OEM products, and can you verify that what they are selling on Ebay isn't a second, or somehow meant to be directed to the dumpster because of a problem with manufacturing that product?
    Seriously? You think that (most OEM's) have their own factories in Taiwan and China making their products?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I doubt a stem is going to take away your wrist pain. Too tight of a death grip when you ride? Not soft enough grips on your bars? Incorrect weight balance due to bars out of position (too low) putting undue pressure on your wrists? Bad wrist angle? Saddle not level to nose slightly up? Front fork not set up properly? Running too high of psi in your front tire? Wearing comfortable, supportive padded gloves?

Lots of things to consider where your wrist pain is coming from rather than a stem swap from alloy to carbon.
    To truly get at what OP is looking for, this ^^^

Stem material will make little to no difference (alleviating wrist pain) and you may sacrifice stiffness and durability... not to mention $$. If your wrist hurts while you ride, it's most likely due to the amount of weight your applying to the handlebars. Try a riser stem and/or a wider bar.

I say this because I too suffer from numb hands... have tried many, many grips, carbon bars, titanium bike... only to find that FIT is the key. Fancy materials may lighten up a bike, but in the end, tire pressure (tubeless enabled) and fit will make the biggest difference in how comfortable your ride is. The rest is a very incrementally small, cumulative effect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry but you are a bit misinformed. Many companies contract with factories in China and Taiwan to make their products. You know Specialized does not make all of their own products??
    No ****, that still doesn't mean when they make to sell they don't cut corners.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast