• 12-16-2010
    rkappius
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?
    I've seen multiple discussions of carbon 29er frames, but no such discussion of 29er rims. Current domestic carbon rims are more expensive than one of these frames. Anybody found carbon 29er clincher rims cheap?
  • 12-16-2010
    syl3
    there aren't any so far. i don't think we'll see any 29er carbon rims cheaper than ENVE&easton until on one manages to get their protos into production. prolly around 2015, considering how the frame has been going.
  • 12-16-2010
    boomn
    On-One will be selling carbon rims and prebuilt wheelsets in early 2011. News article here. The complete tubeless wheelset is projected to cost a bit over $1000, in other words not too much more than a single ENVE rim. I couldn't find the pricing info on the cheaper non-tubeless rim, but IIRC it was guesstimated at around $200 a rim
  • 12-30-2011
    indyfab25
    They are here.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

We got some samples from another company that is not affiliated with this Ebayer. Great looking rims. It *seems* to be very high quality.
  • 12-30-2011
    hootsmon
    Looks good
    That looks very promising indeed. Hard to tell from those photos, however the bead profile does looks suspiciously like the ETRTO (a la UST, TLR, etc.) If that were true, then they'd be even more attractive.
  • 12-30-2011
    G-Choro
    I'm hoping November starts building carbon 29er wheels in addition to their road wheels (~$800 on pre-order). They've got a 29er carbon frame in the works. Wheels have got to be coming down the pipe.

There are a LOT of companies in the road scene doing the china/taiwan carbon wheel thing: boyd, williams, psimet, november, soul.
  • 12-31-2011
    DavidR1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    They are here.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

We got some samples from another company that is not affiliated with this Ebayer. Great looking rims. It *seems* to be very high quality.

These rims look promising. And at the price, almost worth building up a set just to see if they will work. Has anybody gotten a set yet?
  • 12-31-2011
    joe_bloe
    Subscribed!
  • 12-31-2011
    CYCLEJCE
    Did I see $165 for a set of 4?
  • 12-31-2011
    indyfab25
    No...$165 per rim.
  • 12-31-2011
    Stugotz
    Future Reference
  • 12-31-2011
    infanterene
    Those rims look awesome. I wish they would work with my I9 hubs.
  • 12-31-2011
    rocwandrer
    those look terrible.... the tow alignment looks almost completely random in one of the photos they chose to use to advertise the product.
  • 12-31-2011
    DeeZee
    2 Attachment(s)
    I hope your results are better than mine......
  • 12-31-2011
    AZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    I hope your results are better than mine......

Is that solely cosmetic or are there structural issues as well? Not trying to minimize anything as even cosmetic issues would result in me returning them, just trying to get a more complete picture. TIA.
  • 12-31-2011
    DeeZee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Is that solely cosmetic or are there structural issues as well? Not trying to minimize anything as even cosmetic issues would result in me returning them, just trying to get a more complete picture. TIA.

Not sure. My LBS stopped building them as soon as the crack became visable
  • 12-31-2011
    AZ
    Quote:

Okay, I did not realize that was a crack, it looks like a scribe line in the photo. Thanks.
  • 12-31-2011
    DavidR1
    Quote:

Are these rims from light-bicycle or another Chinesse companies? What did the company say when you showed them this pic? Very disturbing for sure.
  • 12-31-2011
    DavidR1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rocwandrer View Post
    those look terrible.... the tow alignment looks almost completely random in one of the photos they chose to use to advertise the product.

I don't build wheels, could you please explain "tow alignment" and how it is off on these rims?
  • 12-31-2011
    DeeZee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    Are these rims from light-bicycle or another Chinesse companies? What did the company say when you showed them this pic? Very disturbing for sure.

Xiamen BECS Carbon Fiber Parts Industry Co., Ltd

Same company

They refuned my $$ minus shipping.
  • 12-31-2011
    Ottoreni
    Did it ever happen?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    On-One will be selling carbon rims and prebuilt wheelsets in early 2011. News article here. The complete tubeless wheelset is projected to cost a bit over $1000, in other words not too much more than a single ENVE rim. I couldn't find the pricing info on the cheaper non-tubeless rim, but IIRC it was guesstimated at around $200 a rim

I don't see on one selling these rims or tires. Did I miss them? It is way past early 2011.

Just like Syncros was suppose to have $1400 (about) wheelset released this year too. Seemed it didn't happen either.
  • 01-01-2012
    indyfab25
    Quote:

Xiamen BECS Carbon Fiber Parts Industry Co., Ltd

Same company

They refuned my $$ minus shipping.

DeeZee,
    Which rims were they? I've been looking at these...
    Wholesale 29er rim carbon rims down hill XC & AM racing
    How long ago was this? I am curious.
  • 01-01-2012
    metrotuned
    deezee, where is the crack? Those red arrows aren't pointing to any?! You should see how my Enve's look after a couple seasons of use - just like that! The stickers look bad from all the contact they've made with twigs, brush, bushes, rocks, but the rims feel smooth on the surface. The lines are below the outer layer as in they cannot be felt.
  • 01-01-2012
    AZ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    I don't see on one selling these rims or tires. Did I miss them? It is way past early 2011.

Just like Syncros was suppose to have $1400 (about) wheelset released this year too. Seemed it didn't happen either.

Last I knew On-One shelved their project.
  • 01-01-2012
    indyfab25
    Illnacord,
    It looks like the crack runs along a straight line going through the spoke holes. Ugly.