Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

2M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  chomxxo 
#1 ·
I've seen multiple discussions of carbon 29er frames, but no such discussion of 29er rims. Current domestic carbon rims are more expensive than one of these frames. Anybody found carbon 29er clincher rims cheap?

#7,940 · (Edited)
Hi, hire is one noob who need some assistance.
Planning to build (by LBS) new wheels for my intense carbine 29". Main use going to be 50/60 AM trails and some light enduro.
Planning to use onyx hubs, messing nipples' and aero spokes probably Pilar.
I have to possible rim, but what is better? And why?
Riding weight is ~80kg (weight in Adam suit 74kg) should I go for reinforced version or AM version is enough?

AM928 asymmetric rim profile carbon 29 inch mountain rims Light-Bicycle
https://www.nextie.net/mountain-asymmetric-NXT29AS33

#7,941 ·
The LB is better wider id but their new higher price is troubling. I don't think you get more for the extra. AM should be fine.
CB has a 29mm id asym with 3mm hookless beads for $175. I'd use Sapim Laser spokes and brass nipples for this build. Mt bikes get nothing from blade spokes except added expense as Lasers with nipples are $0.95/ea from Dans Comp.

#7,943 ·
One hit for LB is it costs extra to get them painted, to the tune of $60 for my fat-rims, but I like their fat design a lot better than nextie, because they space out the spokes and that's better for decreasing the spoke angles. If you are going for narrower (than 65mm) rims, nextie is great and they will paint any color you want for no additional charge.

#7,950 ·
Fail

Mode of transport Daytime Brown Bicycle wheel rim Atmosphere

Purchased from Carbon Fan at carbonbicycle.cc; three rides. I'm having my reservations. I mean am I going to have to build a new wheel every week? Plus it's $50 for them to ship me a new one. I mean i'm not complaining about a 1700 +-g wheelset for $707 but my labor and shipping fees will obviously add up.

#7,955 ·
Bummer hopefully this was a freak occasion I'm 185 to 190 and hit rock gardens on a hard tail and so far so good.
Now I just jinxed myself lol.

#7,959 ·
Ouch. That's a bummer. It is one reason I went with the older 35/30. I also did not ask them to shave weight when making mine. I figured 20 grams per rim was not worth it. Hopefully mine work out without similar problems. Build still in progress. Hopefully will be done at the end of the week.

#7,972 · (Edited)
I have traditionally run a 2.4 Ardent front, and 2.1 Ignitor rear (clearance issues on my old bike), but now have a 2.2 Ardent rear, that came on my new bike, 2.4 Ardent front. Riding typically on pretty smooth, or a little loose over hard later in the year, with some rock sticking out, some sharp sideways sedimentary that sticks up here and there in the old Idaho Basolith and sedimentary rocks. Will look at trying your bontragers when I wear out these that came with the bike, but have been pretty happy with the Ardents so far. I usually have run around 27 in the front, 29 in the rear in terms of pressure with my old narrow Bontrager rims (tubeless). I do not like rim hits and like a little give, but some firmness as well. Will drop a couple/few pounds and see how it goes, but will probably stay in the mid 20s for a while as I get use to it.

#7,987 · (Edited)
Well, I wanted to report that after several rides, I am very happy so far. It is hard to separate how the new wheels are, as the whole bike is brand new to me, and I never rode the old wheels. But, they roll great, feel nice and light in terms of getting the rig up off the ground, feel plenty stout, and I have been having a ball on my new ride. Again, these are the Carbon Bicycle 35/30 carbon hoops, that are $145 each per rim, shipped ends up $340 to your door. I used DT Swiss 350 hubs, and DT Swiss Comp spokes, silver. Thanks to all, especially eb1888, for the help.