Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788485868788
Results 8,701 to 8,747 of 8747
    mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    On my Carbon fan rims, I couldn't see the angle until I put a close fitting drill into the nipple hole itself, then it was obvious. The clearance holes in the rim bed were all in line and did not reflect the angled nipple holes.
    At least they were inline. Nextie used to do offset rim's with spokes offset and then the holes on the other side centerline. Took quite a bit of explaining for them to change it.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    The Carbon Fan rims I got were also offset. The holes in the rim bed were appropriately offset too, just not staggered to reflect the nipple hole angles, as they would be if drilled in a single operation with the nipple holes, which, I believe, is the typical method. I figured they drilled the rim bed holes first and then followed up doing the angled nipple hole and seats.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    For those looking for a bargain, BTLOS has a 15% off coupon (IND15)for the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    For those looking for a bargain, BTLOS has a 15% off coupon (IND15)for the next couple of days.
    Total cost with that coupon works out the same as Yishun, EIE, and a number of other makes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Total cost with that coupon works out the same as Yishun, EIE, and a number of other makes.
    You're looking at the premium series which has a 3.5 year warranty vs 1 year for EIE.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    You're looking at the premium series which has a 3.5 year warranty vs 1 year for EIE.
    The BTLOS rims are great. I've been absolutely flogging my 36mm Premium rims, jumps, large drops, rocks and roots, and they haven't wavered. I've also laced a set for a guy who rides fast/hard on a small travel bike, and is 270lbs with gear. He has so far managed to absoluely destroy a dt350 rear hub, but the wheels were still perfectly true. Relaxed the wheel for him, good to go. He has had them since February.

Lily at BTLOS is pretty great to deal with, they provide excellent support. Which is why I use them when people want more affordable carbon wheel builds.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Can someone explain how they make a smooth bed rim? When a nipple cracks how do I replace it. I used to almost always get heavy Mavic 819, 821, 823 etc because I loved the smooth bed and they were bombproof. I still had nipples crack eventually and they were easy to replace. I suppose someone could slide nipple into valve stem hole and use a vacuum. Seems a big pain though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Can someone explain how they make a smooth bed rim? When a nipple cracks how do I replace it. I used to almost always get heavy Mavic 819, 821, 823 etc because I loved the smooth bed and they were bombproof. I still had nipples crack eventually and they were easy to replace. I suppose someone could slide nipple into valve stem hole and use a vacuum. Seems a big pain though.
    Screw a cut spoke end into zee nipple use a magnet to fish it thru. One can also use string to make it go faster. There are spoke end products with bigger ends, better for magnet use as well.

damned rocks...
    ^that.
    It take some extra time to lace a wheel, but once you get the hang of it, you will be doing it while seeing TV or talking to your friends with no problem.
    I use a magnet and a small screw.

Barely in control
    The fun with spoke hole angle really starts when you are building a rear wheel and you want your drive side elbow out spokes to be trailing, your hub logo to line up with the valve core, and the valve core between parallel spokes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    I just want to give cred to EIE. I have i34 AM wheels. They are super heavy duty. I broke a rim and got a crash replacement even though the damage was not any manufacturing error just a very unfortunate accident. If I ordered today I would easily have picked a superlight i30.5 rim with lighter spokes and hubs, but I was a bit concerned they would not be strong enough.

mtbr member
    I won't do business with nextie anymore. Have purchased several rims from them no problem. One set developed cracks at the rim holes in several places on both rims. ~100 Kgf tension (i have pics). Contacted them - they said ok. Ordered replacements - need for a trip. A few days later the person that said ok to the replacement was out of the picture (Sophie). Replaced by someone calling themself (Brian). He paypal'd a refund of $85 for rims that were about $275 or so. Shady. never responded again

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonXC View Post
    I won't do business with nextie anymore. Have purchased several rims from them no problem. One set developed cracks at the rim holes in several places on both rims. ~100 Kgf tension (i have pics). Contacted them - they said ok. Ordered replacements - need for a trip. A few days later the person that said ok to the replacement was out of the picture (Sophie). Replaced by someone calling themself (Brian). He paypal'd a refund of $85 for rims that were about $275 or so. Shady. never responded again
    I didn't get a good vibe from Nextie.

BTLOS has been by far the best of the lot for me, and I have tried a bunch. Amazing service, and quality as good as anything with a big brand name.

I've started building with nipple washers also, after some discussion with one very experienced builder after some nipple bed/spoke hole deformation at 110kgf on some very expensive brand name carbon rims. Carbon rims are the weakest at the spoke hole, and it makes sense eotnme to use a washer. Might be worth considering on your next set?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I want to spotlight a couple of new rims from EIE:

https://www.eiecarbon.com/A29C23D19S...ompatible.html

23.5 / 30.5 / 300g

https://www.eiecarbon.com/A29C25D25S...ompatible.html

25.5 / 33.5 / 340g

https://www.eiecarbon.com/A29C30D28S...ompatible.html

30.5 / 38.5 / 360g

I *really* like this rim profile. Thick, blunted bead walls for better impact and pinch-flat resistance, asymmetric, and relatively low-profile to keep the weight down. It's similar (and IMO, superior) to Enve's new design. I've linked the ultralight layups, though they've also got a standard XC layup that's 20g heavier and $40 less per rim.

I'm tempted to build a new wheelset just to give them a go, it's been all grins for over a thousand miles on my existing set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    30.5 is not wide enough inner for 2.35 or 2.6 29 tires I ride from Bontrager. I would need 35 and 40 inner.
    But I like the profile and weight.

Barely in control
    For 165 to 205 a rim, I'd give eie a try. They aren't trying to charge me $15 more per rim to have no decal like Carbonfan, which is nice.

So far I've built up 3 wheelsets on the Nextie sale rims for $250 a set and haven't had any problems. How far can I go rolling the dice like this? It's fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    30.5 is not wide enough inner for 2.35 or 2.6 29 tires I ride from Bontrager. I would need 35 and 40 inner.
    But I like the profile and weight.
    I think 30.5 is enough for 2.35. Ideal, even, IME. But check back later if you disagree; the 30.5 wasn't listed a month ago, they may well have a wider version of same in the pipeline.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I think 30.5 is enough for 2.35. Ideal, even, IME. But check back later if you disagree; the 30.5 wasn't listed a month ago, they may well have a wider version of same in the pipeline.
    I would run my 2.6 on i30.5. I think it is perfect. Both Enve and Maxxis recommend i30-35 for 2.5 WT and 2.6.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by H-akka View Post
    I would run my 2.6 on i30.5. I think it is perfect. Both Enve and Maxxis recommend i30-35 for 2.5 WT and 2.6.
    Bontrager's 2.35 is a special case. It's an oversized Goma-class tire closer to 2.5". There's an argument for running that one up to i35, though it's hardly underperforming at i30.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Bontrager's 2.35 is a special case. It's an oversized Goma-class tire closer to 2.5". There's an argument for running that one up to i35, though it's hardly underperforming at i30.
    Ok, I didn't know about that one. I run 2.5 DHF and 2.6 Rekon on i34. I think they work just fine with anything 29-35. I have tried both on my alu i29 and it no problem, tho i30.5 is probably better.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have been using a wheelset I bought from EIE and have nothing but positive things to say so far.
    Rims:A29C30D28 AM,UD,Matte,32H,NO decals 2PCS
    HubsT Swiss 350S BOOST(Front:15*110mm,Rear:12*148mm) ,SRAM XX1,6-bolt
    Spokes:black,DT Swiss Competition
    Nipple:Black Brass

That was what I ordered, they arrived safely boxed up in a few weeks. I taped them up and have a DHF EXO 2.5 front and a Chunky Monkey 2.4 on the rear with cushcore. Tyres went on easy enough (even with the cushcore), inflated first time and I've been running about 20psi front and rear with zero issues. I put them straight onto my new bike and have never run carbon wheels before. This bike is also coil front and rear and is pretty incredible anyway so until I go back to the oem alloy DT Swiss wheels I guess I can't really comment on how good or bad the wheels are in use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bontragers are designed for wide rims by Frank Stacy Testing. They'll give the best performance on wider rims at low psi, but you can run them on skinnier rims by adding some pressure and giving up some of the bigger footprint you would get. If you're building a new wheelset of course go for the size that gives you the most performance. The XRs have flexible sidewalls and light weight. So not for high speed runs through sidewall cutting shale. But a good tire on the right terrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm running XR4 2.4 and XR3 2.3 on 27mm inner and it's just fine.

Also ran them 29mm inner, also fine.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi

Is there someone who have some experience with the XC rim (XM930) from Carbonal ?? I think both in terms of the rim itself and the service when ordering.

mtbr member
    Advice for a 650B plus build from BTLOS?

First thanks to all the posters for the education and experience with the different companies, very valuable for a newbie to China carbon build.

I have a Specialized Stumpy FSR 6fattie and i toasted the crap Roval/DT rear hub so that's what brought me here.

I weight 190+ and ride New England roots rocks raggae in a cross country style, very few drops or hits.

The Rovals were only i28 and I was riding 3.0" nobby nics.

I am considering an i35-i40 (if they have) laced to a DT350 with ratchet upgrade.

I haven't a clue on assymetrical vs inline construction so could use some pointers there (didn't find a good explanation yet but there's sort of a few posts to look thru)

For bomb-proofing was going to go with 32h on rear and brass nipples, need help with spoke recommends as I've popped about 10 on that Roval wheel I'm trashing.

Also not married to the DT350 but need boost, iso and sram XD features.

Thank you wheel experts for taking the time to reply to me.

Steve from NH

Update, here is what I have selected from their website so far
    Premium WM-i34, 32h, 650b, AM version?, matte, 3k weave
    DT350 w/36t ratchet upgrade RED SRAM XD 6bolt iso
    Sapim Race spokes, j-bend
    Red decals

Tear me up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat29Tire View Post
    Advice for a 650B plus build from BTLOS?

First thanks to all the posters for the education and experience with the different companies, very valuable for a newbie to China carbon build.

I have a Specialized Stumpy FSR 6fattie and i toasted the crap Roval/DT rear hub so that's what brought me here.

I weight 190+ and ride New England roots rocks raggae in a cross country style, very few drops or hits.

The Rovals were only i28 and I was riding 3.0" nobby nics.

I am considering an i35-i40 (if they have) laced to a DT350 with ratchet upgrade.

I haven't a clue on assymetrical vs inline construction so could use some pointers there (didn't find a good explanation yet but there's sort of a few posts to look thru)

For bomb-proofing was going to go with 32h on rear and brass nipples, need help with spoke recommends as I've popped about 10 on that Roval wheel I'm trashing.

Also not married to the DT350 but need boost, iso and sram XD features.

Thank you wheel experts for taking the time to reply to me.

Steve from NH

Update, here is what I have selected from their website so far
    Premium WM-i34, 32h, 650b, AM version?, matte, 3k weave
    DT350 w/36t ratchet upgrade RED SRAM XD 6bolt iso
    Sapim Race spokes, j-bend
    Red decals

Tear me up!
    Go with XM carbonspeed. I had Peter from their build me a wheelset a few months back and they are VERY good. They are also a lot cheaper than the other good ones. Search this thread for others who have reviewed XM Carbonspeed and Peter. All good.

I would recommend this wheel with the DT 350: 27.5er AM mtb bike wheels carbon clincher
    Spring for the 54t ratchet upgrade. It is way better than the 36t.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Heya Fat29Tire, I have a pair of BTLOS I34 DH rims laced to Chris King iso hubs using dt swiss competition 2.0-1.8 double butted spokes. I use brass nipples from dt swiss to prevent corrosion giving a longer life. The wheels are bomb proof and relatively light. The surface is perfect and looks really good. My rim is 34 internal, 40 external and 31.5 deep. I got the DH spec with the premium option. The people from BTLOS helped me tons in choosing the right rim for my riding style. I am 160 lbs and I have these wheels on a 160mm banshee rune. Love them and I would definatley buy from BTLOS again due to their amazing customer service and their dedication to help me. I am not running plus tires though, I am running maxxis 2.5 wide trail, ask the people at BTLOS what kind of rim would be perfect for you. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Fat29Tire, after some research I have found these two wheel options from BTLOS for you. The WM-I39A is asymetric with 39mm inner
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/asym...-bike-wheelset
    I also found out that the rims I use, the i34s are also great for plus bikes, altho these are not asym
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/34mm...arbon-wheelset
    For your weight, Sapim race sound good because they are bombproof altho a bit heavier than the D lights. for the engagement question, unless it is too expensive, go with the 54t it makes a huge difference and you would tottally love the close to instant engagement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have the same bike and run 29:ers with 2.6 now. Much nicer imo. But that's perhaps not what you want to hear. I went with EIE and i34. If you want to run Purgatory/Butcher 3.0 I'd go with at least i34 assym. Perhaps these http://www.eiecarbon.com/carbon-rim-mountain-bike/--650B--PLUS

mtbr member
    Thank you H-akka.
    What do you find nicer about 2.5 29?
    Why assym geometry, what is advantage?

I like turtles
    Assym allows the drive and non-drive spokes to have a similar angle improving strength. I run assym on 3 sets of carbon wheels...it's just a better design.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xyzwheels View Post
    FREE SHIPPING 26 / 27.5" / 29 MTB CARBON 6 SPOKE WHEEL SET, ONLY 999USD PER PAIR NOW. If you interesting in carbon fiber bike rim & wheels, welcome to leave a message, hope we can give you a best products.

#xyz #xyzwheels ##xyzcarbontechnology #customwheels #cyclingworld
    Hey XYZ, this is not a place for your advertising. Companies pay for advertising you see in the columns to the left. Surprised you are not yet banned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    So, how do folks here choose their wheel/rim source? In this thread there have been mostly favorable reviews of Light Bicycle, CarbonFan, XMCarbonspeed, BTLOS and several others. There are some differences in rim profiles offered and the newer brands seem to offer a bit lower prices. Are these the main bases of everyone's choice or, if not, what other factors do you use?
    Last edited by wayold; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:04 PM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    So, how do folks here choose their wheel/rim source? In this thread there have been mostly favorable reviews of Light Bicycle, CarbonFan, XMCarbonspeed, BTLOS and several others. There are some differences in rim profiles offered and the newer brands seem to offer a bit lower prices. Are these the main bases of everyone's choice or, if not, what other factors do you use?
    I look to see what other people have had positive experiences with and what seems to be the most legitimate/going to be around for a few years-company. Nextie and Light Bicycle are probably the two biggest right now. There are a bunch of others though that also make a decent product. Oxive gave me a set of rims to test out and they worked beautifully for their intended purpose this race season. They are definitely legitimate and want to put out a good product. T800 is a bit better than T700 layups, but T700 is usually more cost-effective. You choose the internal width that suits you best. If you are using older 142 hubs then asymmetrical rims may be something to look into as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Here are my BTLOS 34mm rims on king hubs, Banshee Rune 2018. Love the rims! I laced them myself and it was a pleasure.
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image0.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    Since I don't see too many long-term reviews, I thought I would post an update on my experience with Light Bicycle rims.

After almost 3 years or abusing these wheels, I've probably replaced 2 or 3 spokes on the rear wheel, and can't honestly remember having to true them other than when replacing spokes. My shop owner was on the fence about using the CX-Ray's, he thought they might be too stiff, but I'm happy with that choice. The rims are sporting lots of external scratches, but no signs of stress or cracks anywhere. I only wish I had gone directly to a 30mm internal width rim rather than the 25's, but other than that I've been very pleased with the rims and the wheels that my LBS built up.

I'm 170lb and not a huckster, but I do love pounding through the chunk on my Tallboy.
    Now 5 years in with my Light-Bicycle carbon rims, I've rebuilt the rear wheel with Force after snapping one too many CX-ray's. The front wheel is still the original build. Both rims are still intact, despite the pounding they've taken.
    Still a happy customer!

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0334.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0335.jpg
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    30.5 / 38.5 / 360g

I *really* like this rim profile. Thick, blunted bead walls for better impact and pinch-flat resistance, asymmetric, and relatively low-profile to keep the weight down. It's similar (and IMO, superior) to Enve's new design. I've linked the ultralight layups, though they've also got a standard XC layup that's 20g heavier and $40 less per rim.
    Since my rims don't lead a hard life(rough terrain, but no jumps or drops >2ft, no rim strikes, and no damage to my al wheels), I'm semi-interested in their T800 blend in this or the 35mm/i29 rim. At least for the front.
    Having no experience with carbon rims, I'm not sure how much rim I actually need, though. I'm wary of putting too much emphasis on weight, and going "stupid light" over 40g per rim.
    They're so close together...what I'd really like to know is how these 360g T800 mix rims stack up with the 380g XC and 400g AM versions. Or, perhaps more importantly, with al rims like my Flow Mk3 front/ Arch Mk3 rear, which are perfectly adequate for my needs, but significantly heavier at ~990g for the combo.
    Right now, I'm leaning toward the 40mm/i34 for the front and 35mm/i29 rear, which would make this a moot point for me, but I'm still curious.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Since my rims don't lead a hard life(rough terrain, but no jumps or drops >2ft, no rim strikes, and no damage to my al wheels), I'm semi-interested in their T800 blend in this or the 35mm/i29 rim. At least for the front.
    Having no experience with carbon rims, I'm not sure how much rim I actually need, though. I'm wary of putting too much emphasis on weight, and going "stupid light" over 40g per rim.
    They're so close together...what I'd really like to know is how these 360g T800 mix rims stack up with the 380g XC and 400g AM versions. Or, perhaps more importantly, with al rims like my Flow Mk3 front/ Arch Mk3 rear, which are perfectly adequate for my needs, but significantly heavier at ~990g for the combo.
    Right now, I'm leaning toward the 40mm/i34 for the front and 35mm/i29 rear, which would make this a moot point for me, but I'm still curious.
    I have EIE i34 AM 32/32 and the are super heavy duty. I would say you would't need that for your riding. Unless you are going to run 2.8 or more front I would go i29 28/28 or 30.5 28/28.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Lat time I did carbon wheels, I ordered the rims, spokes and hub separately. I was concerned about having the factory in China build my wheels with a sight-unseen hub. Frankly, when it comes to things like hubs and china, I'm too worried about fake stuff.

Is this an unfounded concern?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by McGG View Post
    Lat time I did carbon wheels, I ordered the rims, spokes and hub separately. I was concerned about having the factory in China build my wheels with a sight-unseen hub. Frankly, when it comes to things like hubs and china, I'm too worried about fake stuff.

Is this an unfounded concern?
    Other people can correct me if they want, but this is my opinion. Chinese companies that sell lots of wheels and are discussed on these forums are generally as trusty as your LBS. If it's a DT 350 hub, it's authentic. I have several wheelsets built up by Chinese sellers with DT Swiss hubs, Pillar spokes, and house-brand carbon rims and they are all great. No bad experiences yet!

Stay away from Novatec and Powerway if you want your wheel to last a long time. These hubs are cheap, but I've broken every pair I owned. Where it gets interesting is when these companies come up with their own hubs (i.e. Speedsafe hubs) and you don't really know what's inside. Koozer hubs are another example, basically a knock-off of Hope with half of the technology, and they happen to break more easily. The same factory that makes Koozer (ECC Tech), however, also makes some great hubs, and you just don't know who slapped their logo on last (Salsa "Brickhouse" and HED come to mind)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Okay guys, I'm trying to decide between two wheels:

1. The new AM930 from LB

and

2. The XY series, T800 from CarbonFan

The Carbonfans are about $100 cheaper per rim than the LBs.

I weigh about 230lbs without gear (yikes!), so I'm leaning towards the Carbonfan ones.

My LBS is going to lace the wheels for me to Onyx hubs.

mtbr member

1. The new AM930 from LB

and

I weigh about 230lbs without gear (yikes!), so I'm leaning towards the Carbonfan ones.

I don't know much about those specific rims, but assymetric is a big selling point, especially if you are stressing the wheels a lot. Also since the AM version of XY is only 20g more than XC, definitely go with that if you buy XY

mtbr member
    I didn't get responses over on Wheels & Tires BTLOS thread...so here it is again...

I can't find any BTLOS rims that match the lighter weights of those from Nextie (their ultralights, which use T1000) (note the 34mm is external):

https://www.nextie.net/ultralight-mo...34mm-NXT29UL34

or these from eie carbon:

super light 29er 34mm wide MTB hookless tubeless compatible carbon rims

or these from Carbonfan...

https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...28mm-33mm-35mm

I'm looking for i25-i30 (I think 27-28mm would be ideal) that are at most 360g for i30, and less than that for narrower rims. Am I missing something from BTLOS???
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just wanted to pitch in my experience with the cheapest set of carbon 29er rims available online right now:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs...318352290.html

It's $182 USD incl. shipping for me in the United States for a pair of these. I got them on an Aliexpress sale almost 6 months ago for $160, I expect Christmas sales to lower the price as well. They weigh 425g each. I had Velocity USA build up a pair and have about 600 miles on my gravel bike so far. I've done about 50 miles of singletrack as well which wasn't easy on them considering the Maxxis Rambler 700x38Cs I'm running and my brutal riding style. They took a lot of knocks.

They have handled everything very well, I did have to true the rear wheel after about 400 miles. I get a sense that the rims are bit stiffer than the ultralight Speedsafe rims I also have, but I like them and for the price they have been excellent. I also had two instances where sharp rocks gouged into my tire sidewalls, letting out a bunch of air, but in both cases the tires sealed up again, thanks in part to the tall sidewalls on these rims.

I have another set of these rims I'll be building up. The deal was too good at the time not to buy two sets.

I haven't taken pics of just the wheelset, but bike pics are here: ICAN GRA02 Gravel Bike Frame - The Riding Gravel Forum

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

1. The new AM930 from LB

and

Wow buddy I don't know how you're built but sounds like you need to shred some trails long and hard and leave some stuff out there! If I were you I'd stay with stiff carbon fiber (T700). IMHO LightBicycle is overpriced. The only time I'd use them is when they have something nobody else has (i.e. 27.5er fat 75mm carbon rims). Their quality really isn't much better than anybody else--there's lots of people who have had issues, even though it may not happen that often. They are better at marketing and have built a more robust brand identity, hence the bigger markup.

I'd do the Carbonfans. If you're sold on Onyx hubs that's the best way to go, but sometimes you can save a bit by getting the build done in China just because their labor rates are super low and they often let you in on dealer pricing for the hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Wow buddy I don't know how you're built but sounds like you need to shred some trails long and hard and leave some stuff out there! If I were you I'd stay with stiff carbon fiber (T700). IMHO LightBicycle is overpriced. The only time I'd use them is when they have something nobody else has (i.e. 27.5er fat 75mm carbon rims). Their quality really isn't much better than anybody else--there's lots of people who have had issues, even though it may not happen that often. They are better at marketing and have built a more robust brand identity, hence the bigger markup.

I'd do the Carbonfans. If you're sold on Onyx hubs that's the best way to go, but sometimes you can save a bit by getting the build done in China just because their labor rates are super low and they often let you in on dealer pricing for the hubs.
    indeed...I should probably be walking around at about 205-2010.

I like pastries.

I think I'll get the CarbonFan ones, but with WWC and other discount parts places, I can get hubs for a reasonable deal, and then get LBS to lace them up. Just looking at pricing of built chinese vs just rims, it doesn't seem like they give you much of a deal on labor or hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    indeed...I should probably be walking around at about 205-2010.

I like pastries.

I think I'll get the CarbonFan ones, but with WWC and other discount parts places, I can get hubs for a reasonable deal, and then get LBS to lace them up. Just looking at pricing of built chinese vs just rims, it doesn't seem like they give you much of a deal on labor or hubs.
    You can reach out to individual suppliers on Aliexpress and ask to do it by PayPal via email. They will usually knock 10% because they don't have to pay seller fees. The difference isn't huge though. You've gotta go with low-margin suppliers though like Elite, Speedsafe, or a company like XMCarbonSpeed, Hongfu, etc. I do support local brick-and-mortar when I can't get a good deal out of china though.

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788485868788

Members who have read this thread: 728