Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384
Results 8,301 to 8,369 of 8369
    V-Shaped Rut
    Sanity check here, light bike 29” – RM29C19 – 30MM WHEELSET with i9, standard sapim spokes. This is for a carbon hardtail, 2.25-2.35" tires and trying to keep it decently light but sturdy.

$1148 shipped. Should I be looking for anything else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Sanity check here, light bike 29” – RM29C19 – 30MM WHEELSET with i9, standard sapim spokes. This is for a carbon hardtail, 2.25-2.35" tires and trying to keep it decently light but sturdy.

$1148 shipped. Should I be looking for anything else?
    You are pretty much an exact candidate for the Ibis sale. You get a lot higher end spoke over there and a better warranty. The 935 would be the wheelset for you. X-ray spokes are also considerably lighter than the standard and also very stiff. Some say the higher-end carbon rims ride better. It could be in the build or it could be the carbon I'm not really sure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    You are pretty much an exact candidate for the Ibis sale.
    Agree, if you go with higher end components like I9 hubs you might as well invest a little more for a total high end setup, which is what Ibis is (evident by the warranty).

The reality is that there are a lot of good reliable hubs, and a failure is most likely going to be at the rim or maybe spokes. So the sensible build is the best rim you can afford with decent hubs, not the highest end hubs with middle of the road rim.

Personally I would either go with a budget light bike/Nextie build (Hope/DT350), or a complete high end wheel (Ibis/Roval).

V-Shaped Rut
    Thanks for the Ibis info. One odd thing, I noticed that the 935's are listed as out of stock on Ibis' site. They're the same price on Backcountry with 8% cashback. But the description says:

The 935 comes tubeless-ready, and is compatible with centerlock rotors. It’s available with a 15 x 110mm front and 12 x 148mm rear hub pairing, with your choice of an HG or XD driver. Choose the HG driver if you're riding a Shimano/SRAM 9/10-speed drivetrain or pick up the XD driver version if you're running the latest 11/12-speed drivetrain from SRAM.

I'm running 11 speed XT right now, these need a different 11 speed driver or is this just Backcountry's description being off?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Ibis info. One odd thing, I noticed that the 935's are listed as out of stock on Ibis' site. They're the same price on Backcountry with 8% cashback. But the description says:

The 935 comes tubeless-ready, and is compatible with centerlock rotors. It’s available with a 15 x 110mm front and 12 x 148mm rear hub pairing, with your choice of an HG or XD driver. Choose the HG driver if you're riding a Shimano/SRAM 9/10-speed drivetrain or pick up the XD driver version if you're running the latest 11/12-speed drivetrain from SRAM.

I'm running 11 speed XT right now, these need a different 11 speed driver or is this just Backcountry's description being off?
    hasn't been updated. 10spd use the same length of driver as 11spd

you can also order from ibis direct for the same price and they send sig required if you ask. comp won't

Ibis 935 Carbon Wheelset - Industry 9 Hubs – Ibis Cycles Online Store

comp also stocks this stuff so if ibis is on backorder you can either wait, or order from comp cyclist and have them next week

there is no 8% cashback on ibis right now. it's excluded via activejunkie

V-Shaped Rut
    hasn't been updated. 10spd use the same length of driver as 11spd

you can also order from ibis direct for the same price and they send sig required if you ask. comp won't

Ibis 935 Carbon Wheelset - Industry 9 Hubs – Ibis Cycles Online Store

comp also stocks this stuff so if ibis is on backorder you can either wait, or order from comp cyclist and have them next week

there is no 8% cashback on ibis right now. it's excluded via activejunkie
    Sheet, no need for signature. I'm watching that tracking ## like a hawk and will just work from home on delivery day.

Excluded from activejunky? That sucks, I didn't SEE fine print but then again I'm drinking a 22oz 9% PacNW IPA.

mtbr member
    I think the problem is how close to cost this price is. Comp wouldnt tell me exactly what cost was but they said it's less than 15% margin and more than 10. That means they're making about $150. With shipping and credit card fees that's $100. There is just no room for discounting. It's a margin stores never operate at but it's a factory backed Ibis sale. Who knows maybe they get something on the back end from Ibis

these things beat out enve when enduro mag did a test

High Rollin: 5 Premium Carbon Wheels in Test | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine
    Last edited by racebum; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    gets even better with cheap "name brand" wheels for those of you looking for even lower cost. bontrager line 30 pro wheels have a low $1200 retail, aerolite spokes, 29mm id rim and the top tier bontrager hub with a 108pt engagement

a local dealer mentioned they will sell them 20% off if you haggle. sunrise cyclery also had that promo going for a low low $960, that's taped, valved, high end spokes. oclv carbon rims and what appears to be a ring drive knock off hub and they even happen to be straight pull

review here https://www.bikemag.com/gear/compone...pro-30-wheels/

and

Bontrager's Line Pro 30 wheelset brings value to carbon wheels review - BikeRadar

not 100% sure on weight. the 27.5 trek says are 1540g and the 29 this article says 1748 but it tested the earlier 54t version. not the current 108s so there may have been changes? the 29 is now quoted as 878g/r 730g/f over here or 1608g but reviews have said weight can be higher with one as high as the previously mentioned 1748g. still it's the first time we have seen name brand carbon wheels under 1k after haggle

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Wow....the Ibis sale is tempting me. Any opinions on the 942 "logo" line, which forgoes the I9 hubs and I think is built up in Taiwan (although I've seen conflicting notes on that) ??

I don't really need the rattlesnake sound of the I9 hubs, and I'm sure the Ibis hubs will suffice. Will the real 942's be $372 better? ($1385 vs $1013)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPA View Post
    Wow....the Ibis sale is tempting me. Any opinions on the 942 "logo" line, which forgoes the I9 hubs and I think is built up in Taiwan (although I've seen conflicting notes on that) ??

I don't really need the rattlesnake sound of the I9 hubs, and I'm sure the Ibis hubs will suffice. Will the real 942's be $372 better? ($1385 vs $1013)
    2 years warranty on the hubs, that should do. My only concern with those hubs will be parts after a few years, as opposed to the big hub makers where it's a non issue.

As far as building in Taiwan, take the wheel to a good bike shop for proper tensioning, and you got a US wheel Or use the money for a tension meter and DIY.

mtbr member
    solid comments on the ibis brand hubs. front hubs go forever. rear? well. i'd call ibis and ask about parts availability and what they plan on stocking. 1013 is a lot less money. it's also 6 bolt if you have 6bolt rotors.

from a resale perspective you aren't losing anything going i9. even used they really hold value. parts, also a non issue

but $1013 makes this a crazy deal if they also use xray spokes. not sure what spoke the ibis brand hub set uses

V-Shaped Rut
    I snagged a pair of the Ibis 935's yesterday. I have m615 brakes so centerlock is fine, just need to order some rotors and tires and then we'll see how this bad boy climbs without boat anchors!

Any suggestions on tires that play well with the wider rims? Given that this is gonna be on a hardtail and built to climb but also have fun on the way down.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You are pretty much an exact candidate for the Ibis sale. You get a lot higher end spoke over there and a better warranty. The 935 would be the wheelset for you. X-ray spokes are also considerably lighter than the standard and also very stiff.
    Vanity spokes that offer no real advantage, but you can set up nextie or light bicycle with these as well, they offer them on their sites. Not sure what makes the Ibis a "high end" set, except that it costs more. You get the same "high end spokes" if you want with either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I snagged a pair of the Ibis 935's yesterday. I have m615 brakes so centerlock is fine, just need to order some rotors and tires and then we'll see how this bad boy climbs without boat anchors!

Any suggestions on tires that play well with the wider rims? Given that this is gonna be on a hardtail and built to climb but also have fun on the way down.

Nobby Nic 29x2.6, or Rekon 2.6
    I had NN's and loved them... almost enough to give up my 29x3.0 wheels. Really fantastic tire. Havent ridden Rekons but hear great things.

If you need something burlier, cant go wrong with Minion 2.5
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey guys. Looking to get the best value possible - good rim for good price. Looking at nextie promotion rims on eBay, and hulksport. Does anyone have any experience with hulk?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2016 Banshee Rune
    • 2017 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The Logo line comes with Sapim D-light spokes, which are on my LB wheels....no complaints after six months of gnar. So, I might just go for the Logos

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Nobby Nic 29x2.6, or Rekon 2.6
    I had NN's and loved them... almost enough to give up my 29x3.0 wheels. Really fantastic tire. Havent ridden Rekons but hear great things.

If you need something burlier, cant go wrong with Minion 2.5
    Confused, that's a 29er plus tire I'm not even sure would fit? The bike is either 27.5+ or 29er. I've got Ikon 2.8's on the 27.5 plus. For the 29er wheels I'm thinking lighter more XC oriented, with a profile that should work well with wider rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Vanity spokes that offer no real advantage, but you can set up nextie or light bicycle with these as well, they offer them on their sites. Not sure what makes the Ibis a "high end" set, except that it costs more. You get the same "high end spokes" if you want with either.
    weight. chances are you know the speak about how the xray is made, hammered flat etc. if you do or do not believe that is an advantage is up to you but the weight is measurable. this and the aerolite hold up very well under hard riding. plain lightweight spokes like the revolution.....don't. dt and saipem have technical docs on this and why they are recommended for enduro and even DH

as for high end. it's feel and resale. some people may say a blank chinese frame is the same as one from ibis or santa cruz. if they like it, cool. i think there is a difference and regardless of if you do or do not resale is obvious.

a set of light bike bc13s on i9 hubs with xray spokes costs the same as the ibis wheels do now at 1300 and change. the ibis rims are also asymmetrical. if you get those with light bike the cost becomes even more than ibis currently

mtbr member
    Confused, that's a 29er plus tire I'm not even sure would fit? The bike is either 27.5+ or 29er. I've got Ikon 2.8's on the 27.5 plus. For the 29er wheels I'm thinking lighter more XC oriented, with a profile that should work well with wider rims.
    have you tried the nobby nic addix speedgrip? it's nearly as fast as a low pro xc tire but doesn't go to hell the second it gets loose. as long as you don't square them off too bad the rolling resistance is the best i have ever ridden for a knobby. 2.35 on a 25mm rim, 2.6 on a 30mm rim, 2.8 on a 35mm rim etc would be my starting points. really good xc/trail tire with low rolling resistance

V-Shaped Rut
    have you tried the nobby nic addix speedgrip? it's nearly as fast as a low pro xc tire but doesn't go to hell the second it gets loose. as long as you don't square them off too bad the rolling resistance is the best i have ever ridden for a knobby. 2.35 on a 25mm rim, 2.6 on a 30mm rim, 2.8 on a 35mm rim etc would be my starting points. really good xc/trail tire with low rolling resistance
    I haven't. The last nobby nics I had were good till the limit and then washed out like WTF just happened?

But.... the 29er 2.6 version is 850+ grams, that's XC/Trail? Maybe I'm overthinking the weight thing, I did just do a 65 miler with a DHF up front, lol!

mtbr member
    I haven't. The last nobby nics I had were good till the limit and then washed out like WTF just happened?

But.... the 29er 2.6 version is 850+ grams, that's XC/Trail? Maybe I'm overthinking the weight thing, I did just do a 65 miler with a DHF up front, lol!
    i would see if you can weigh one in person or see a pic on the scale. magic mary snake is suppose to be 1000g-ish according to online. in person it's 814g in 2.35

in a + tire you're not going to get ultra light.

the addix speedgrip or softer trailstar aren't so abrupt. trailstar however is more enduro, no super speedy xc rolling resistance.

nobby nic still will wash out faster than mary or a dhf. no getting around that

but they sure roll a hell of a lot better

here the 2.8 is only 844g

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Plus tyre review - MBR

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The exact equivalent to the Sapim Cx-Ray in weight and performance is the non flattened Laser. Dan's Comp has them with brass Polyax nipples included for $0.95ea.

Elitest thrill junkie
    weight. chances are you know the speak about how the xray is made, hammered flat etc.
    I know enough to know that Sapim is heavy on the BS marketing. They make outrageous and blatantly false claims. Nothing against their quality, they are decent, but flattened x-ray spokes is about vanity, that's it. Personally, I'd rather go with good hubs, rather than Ibis house-brand, and I'm getting $995 for some asym 40mm light bicycle wheels when the Ibis is showing 1013, these are the LB wheels that are made and stocked in the US.

The exact equivalent to the Sapim Cx-Ray in weight and performance is the non flattened Laser. Dan's Comp has them with brass Polyax nipples included for $0.95ea.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Agree. Just got a pair of “Promotion” Nexie rims for $279 delivered. These are the 30mm XC Aysemetric rims. I have a pair of their 38mm rims that have been phenomenal.

mtbr member
    Not sure what makes the Ibis a "high end" set, except that it costs more.
    7 years warranty on the rim.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    7 years warranty on the rim.
    We'll see, they say they are warrantied under "normal" riding conditions, but it wouldn't take much for them to deny a warranty based on "you weren't riding them normally". User error is usually not covered in a warranty and I'm more skeptical of grandiose claims (we'll replace wheelsets, etc.). If they have a track record of doing so, good, but then are we subsidizing the cost of replacing them when we buy them? Nothing is free.

mtbr member
    We'll see, they say they are warrantied under "normal" riding conditions, but it wouldn't take much for them to deny a warranty based on "you weren't riding them normally". User error is usually not covered in a warranty and I'm more skeptical of grandiose claims (we'll replace wheelsets, etc.). If they have a track record of doing so, good, but then are we subsidizing the cost of replacing them when we buy them? Nothing is free.
    i asked about this before i bought a set. they said if a tree jumps out in front of you a replacement rim is $150 for carbon.

the xray is rated at a higher tension than a laster even though they begin life the same. quality control may be the other angle. it's more time consuming and difficult to try and high tension build a laser vs an xray which won't have windup since it's flat and easy to control. i was looking at the bc13 light bike wheelset with i9 hubs and xray spokes. was basically the same price as the ibis sale

weight wise, they came in under advertised. the 735 wheelset was 1524g

V-Shaped Rut
    Got my Ibis 935's delivered today. All looks good, no shipping damage, they're true. 1574 grams with valves and tape installed, always a plus to have something come in UNDER stated spec.

Won't be able to ride tomorrow, I've got some XTR centerlock rotors and Nobby Nic 2.35's coming later in the week. Didn't make sense for me to try 2.6's when I've got a 27.5+ wheelset already that I can use should I really want plus tires. This is meant to be my more XC oriented rig and part time singlespeed. I'll report back once I get a ride in on them.

mtbr member
    Got my Ibis 935's delivered today. All looks good, no shipping damage, they're true. 1574 grams with valves and tape installed, always a plus to have something come in UNDER stated spec.

Won't be able to ride tomorrow, I've got some XTR centerlock rotors and Nobby Nic 2.35's coming later in the week. Didn't make sense for me to try 2.6's when I've got a 27.5+ wheelset already that I can use should I really want plus tires. This is meant to be my more XC oriented rig and part time singlespeed. I'll report back once I get a ride in on them.
    i think you will love them NN runs wide in 2.35. once they stretch out i bet they will measure 2.4 to 2.5 on that rim. i have the 2.35 NNs on my fuel ex with DT 24mm id carbon rims and they measure 2.42

i gave my 735s a first ride today with the bronson, very snappy wheelset, feels light, stiff, i9 hubs are borderline annoying. when you get going that freehub really lets people know you're coming. the 2.35 magic mary / hans damf combo fit great. measured 2.45 for the mary and rode really really well

V-Shaped Rut
    i9 hubs are borderline annoying. when you get going that freehub really lets people know you're coming.
    I run hope pro II evo's on my rigid SS. They're about as loud and they come in handy coming up behind hikers and dog walkers. Just coast a bit, better than a bell.

Elitest thrill junkie
    i asked about this before i bought a set. they said if a tree jumps out in front of you a replacement rim is $150 for carbon.
    Do they rebuild it for you? $150 is damn near the retail price for one of my chinese carbon rims, except they have a crash-replacement discount, so this doesn't sound like all that great of a deal. That's another $45 to build it these days, if not you are shipping stuff back and forth which also isn't free.

Oh yeah, I saw that about the x-ray, 1500 vs 1600, but Sapim is so full of **** in all sorts of areas and claims that I put exactly zero trust in this.

mtbr member
    Do they rebuild it for you? $150 is damn near the retail price for one of my chinese carbon rims, except they have a crash-replacement discount, so this doesn't sound like all that great of a deal. That's another $45 to build it these days, if not you are shipping stuff back and forth which also isn't free.

Oh yeah, I saw that about the x-ray, 1500 vs 1600, but Sapim is so full of **** in all sorts of areas and claims that I put exactly zero trust in this.
    if you think the cheap carbon rims are the same as the higher end ones then yes, maybe it doesn't seem like a good deal

i think there is a substantial difference in feel

150 is cheap for a strong brand name rim. people can buy FS chinese frames for 1k too. if you want a santa cruz it's 3k or 2k on clearance. again.. difference

i realize this thread is designed for people who are insanely cheap and money is everything to them

however, that was the point with the ibis sale. a better resale higher end product for the same as a chinese build with similar gear

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Plus of Nextie over Ibis is you can get decals in the colours you want. These Ultralight rims come in at 350 gram with a ID of 28mm and decals in Yeti colours. Other plus is you can choose your own wheelbuilder which makes quite a difference in my experience.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-p5pb15378984.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LD001; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    if you think the cheap carbon rims are the same as the higher end ones then yes, maybe it doesn't seem like a good deal

i think there is a substantial difference in feel ...
    Blindfolded, I can't tell the difference between carbon and aluminum.

...of course the test rides aren't very long.
    Do the math.

mtbr member

i think there is a substantial difference in feel

150 is cheap for a strong brand name rim. people can buy FS chinese frames for 1k too. if you want a santa cruz it's 3k or 2k on clearance. again.. difference

i realize this thread is designed for people who are insanely cheap and money is everything to them

however, that was the point with the ibis sale. a better resale higher end product for the same as a chinese build with similar gear
    Who would by a used set of high end carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    have you not noticed ebay? market is really strong on 1-2yr old parts if they are still in good condition

i mean https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENVE-M60-Fo...p2047675.l2557

and this is just a 26mm id rim which is on the lower side of what people commonly ride now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post

oh god i can but i'm not 100% sure if it's the carbon vs alloy or if it's just the weight. no alloy wheelset i have ridden is ever as light. my bronson for example, went from ex471s with xtr hubs and xray spokes. 1800g set to the ibis 735 which was 152x big difference. easier to spin up with the same tires. it could just be the weight but again that's the benefit of carbon vs aluminum

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't plan on riding an aluminum rim on a mtb again. When I put a wheelset on my bike built w/ I9 hubs and LB 30mm exterior carbon rims it I was astounded. Aluminum rims just flex so much in cornering. And that was about 4 yrs. ago. I would expect the newer and wider rims to be even more noticeable. Oh and by the way, these were the $150 rims someone dissed above, and they're still going strong. I would agree with frames, but so many inexpensive chinese carbon rims have been around long enough and have good reputations.

mtbr member
    Lots of people. Look at ebay as suggested above.

mtbr member
    Got to question if stiffness has any meaning when running plus size tires with sub 20 PSI. Or is it just the weight that people feel, which also becomes a smaller difference proportionally on fat tires.

Elitest thrill junkie

lol...yeah right.

Well, now that you mention it, I have a Chinese carbon fatbike frame that was about $350, it has 197 thru-axle spacing, two dropout positions, modern shorter chainstay length, etc...

It's pretty badass, thanks for making me remember that.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-17966556_1420095548048909_8213481429434080130_o.jpg

If there was actually a difference here, like buying some no-name hub with poor materials/design for the freehub mech and we were talking about that vs. a quality design from a reputable manufacturer, then sure. But we are talking about molds, laying some T700 or 800, resin, vacuum bags, and curing. Most of the "high end" carbon manufacturers source their rims right from the big Chinese manufacturers. I have friends that have gone to the factories, and for those that don't, it's not like there's some crazy propriety technology being used that will yield vastly different results. Although lightweight and very strong, it's not all that complicated. I'll pay for quality, that's why I have $250/ea D5 tires, custom-valved fork/shocks, they are worth every penny and there isn't much else that compares. But in other places, I can't justify spending a bunch more when there's no advantage.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's actually good though that you brought up the chinese carbon FS bikes. I find that the pivots/pivot-designs are one of the weak point on many "reputable" manufacturer carbon frames, and also on the Chinese-direct ones. So I'm lumping more than just the Chinese ones here, but now all of a sudden you are asking the them do a lot more than just produce some carbon shapes, now there are suspension kinematics with AS levels, leverage ratio, how that matches with the progression of the intended shock, loads, geometry, and a plethora of other things. The complexity goes up exponentially compared to rims IME, and you aren't necessarily getting much better with a major manufacturer like giant or trek, most people dump their bike a few seasons later anyway, so most are made to last this long. I find the higher end manufacturers like Pivot, Turner, and others offer higher quality in this area, but again, not always, there are a lot of variables with frames.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post

What I notice is that I can push the carbon-wheelset wheels much harder into turns/berms, they feel as if they are riding on rails through those sections and I can carry a lot more speed here. With aluminum rims, it feels like they are "folding over" under the same g-loads. They aren't literally "folding over" of course, but it may be that the forces are pulling the wheel slightly and reducing your traction in the direction you want to go. The carbon wheels feel like they give you the traction right where you want it. They feel more responsible to me to line changes/directional inputs as well. The weight advantage is nice, although a lot of people buy carbon rims that are a LOT wider than what they previous ran with aluminum, negating any weight savings, but in reality the same aluminum rim strength would be a lot more weight. Lastly, ease of tubeless has been a big benefit for me. I've had multiple aluminum "tubeless" rims, but none of those set up as easy as my carbon ones, they seem to be a match made in heaven with their contour/shape that is much more easily produced than an extruded aluminum rim.

V-Shaped Rut
    We're talking a $200 difference between the light bike ones and the Ibis sale. Even if this theoretical argument of quality is correct that's like an hour of my professional time. I'm way ok with being a 'sucker' when it comes to something I'm going to be riding for a couple thousand miles a year. It's an almost meaningless cost and not something I'd agonize over even if I was 'wrong'.

Got my 935s in and some tires mounted. The 2.35's were a bit of a bitch to get on but they aired up super easy with the pancake compressor. They're 2 POUNDS lighter than the 27.5+ wheels/tires I had on the bike. I literally laughed out loud when I was swapping/weighing them.

They definitely fit with the stealth motif of the bike, although some evil red decals would have been better. Oh well, this thing is gonna climb like a rocket now. I might even put some brakes on it before I go test it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20171119_012734272_ios.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    We're talking a $200 difference between the light bike ones and the Ibis sale. Even if this theoretical argument of quality is correct that's like an hour of my professional time. D
    If you have a big enough discount, great and go for it! It's not like Ibis is a bad company, they definitely make good stuff. I, and a few others, were saying that we'd go with whatever nets us the best wheelset, taking into account things like hubs, as in our experience it's better to go with a good quality hubset, when there's no difference with the rims. Some of the other posters in this thread irrationally believe there's something "special" about paying hundreds more for a certain brand rim, when there's no difference.

mtbr member
    200 diffrence? light bicycle is MORE than ibis with this sale, look at the am728/928 which is most similar to the 735/935 ibis. add i9 hubs and xray spokes. that's 1399 before shipping at light bicycle making LB nearly $100 more. regardless of if you think lasers are the same they are no where near as easy to build with

quit being passive aggressive saying "other poster" the point was always money and it still is. ibis is cheaper which is why i pointed this out in the first place

i think some of you guys just hate brand names. there's no other reason i can think of for the resistance

mtbr member
    We're talking a $200 difference between the light bike ones and the Ibis sale. Even if this theoretical argument of quality is correct that's like an hour of my professional time. I'm way ok with being a 'sucker' when it comes to something I'm going to be riding for a couple thousand miles a year. It's an almost meaningless cost and not something I'd agonize over even if I was 'wrong'.

Got my 935s in and some tires mounted. The 2.35's were a bit of a bitch to get on but they aired up super easy with the pancake compressor. They're 2 POUNDS lighter than the 27.5+ wheels/tires I had on the bike. I literally laughed out loud when I was swapping/weighing them.

They definitely fit with the stealth motif of the bike, although some evil red decals would have been better. Oh well, this thing is gonna climb like a rocket now. I might even put some brakes on it before I go test it.
    bike looks awesome !

mtbr member
    May 2012
    honestly, light bicycle prices are barely worth it. they're themselves 200USD above everyone providing similar rims and wheel assembly.
    For DT350 or even Novatech hubs i'd just go with alternatives.
    For DT240 or i9's I'd go with the Ibis or NOBL (same price similar stuff, slightly less wide) if you want the wide rim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    honestly, light bicycle prices are barely worth it. they're themselves 200USD above everyone providing similar rims and wheel assembly.
    For DT350 or even Novatech hubs i'd just go with alternatives.
    For DT240 or i9's I'd go with the Ibis or NOBL (same price similar stuff, slightly less wide) if you want the wide rim
    same thing i thought. didn't seem like a good value. nextie on the other hand is still a value play. their rims are made well and inexpensive. for what light bike wants on a premium build you may as well look at the big names when they are on sale

mtbr member
    May 2012
    main "issue" with nextie is that the hub selection is dt350 or chosen for low cost, instead of novatec. dt350 is good but more expensive, and chosen is.. hum. idk scares me

mtbr member
    oh you mean complete wheels? i figured a lot of you guys built your own. if you buy completes you're at the mercy of what's being built. the silly deal right now for super low cost and if someone is still on 142 is the xtr 9020 carbon set at comp cycles. 1620g set with xtr hubs for 600 after the 50 off coupon. only drawback is they are 24mm and i'm not sure if 29 is left or if it's all 27.5 now. great for someone who runs maxxis 2.3s though. those tires work great on 24-25mm id. xtr hubs are probably the best rolling hubs on the market. huge angular contact bearings with dura ace grease

Merendon Junkie
    oh you mean complete wheels? i figured a lot of you guys built your own. if you buy completes you're at the mercy of what's being built. the silly deal right now for super low cost and if someone is still on 142 is the xtr 9020 carbon set at comp cycles. 1620g set with xtr hubs for 600 after the 50 off coupon. only drawback is they are 24mm and i'm not sure if 29 is left or if it's all 27.5 now. great for someone who runs maxxis 2.3s though. those tires work great on 24-25mm id. xtr hubs are probably the best rolling hubs on the market. huge angular contact bearings with dura ace grease
    Do you have a link for that? Cant find comp cycles anywhere.

Thanks
    Abel

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post

Thanks
    Abel
    Competitive Cyclist...

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...3AShimano&nf=1
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody riding diycarbonbike wheels? He's posting on eBay and Pinkbike, offering sales and support stateside. Just curiois if anyone has any experience with the wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post

Thanks
    Abel
    prices have gotten even sillier. cyclepath in portland oregon has the shimano xtr m9020 wheelsets for 499 in 27.5 / 142/100

mtbr member
    have you not noticed ebay? market is really strong on 1-2yr old parts if they are still in good condition

i mean https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENVE-M60-Fo...p2047675.l2557

and this is just a 26mm id rim which is on the lower side of what people commonly ride now
    Let me put it another way. Why would anyone buy used “high end” carbon rims without a warranty for more $$ than LB, Nextie or Carbonfan rims. Makes zero sense.

Break a Enve rim and not the original owner.....you are SOL.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    main "issue" with nextie is that the hub selection is dt350 or chosen for low cost, instead of novatec. dt350 is good but more expensive, and chosen is.. hum. idk scares me
    Also 240s, Hopes, Fatlab, I've heard with many of these companies you can get others by asking for custom builds, but I don't have anyone else build my wheels.

mtbr member
    Let me put it another way. Why would anyone buy used “high end” carbon rims without a warranty for more $$ than LB, Nextie or Carbonfan rims. Makes zero sense.

Break a Enve rim and not the original owner.....you are SOL.
    all true. i would only buy these new. you would only buy these new but some people don't value the warranty as they have never needed one. they buy for the prestige and they buy because they see them as being better than no name rims. if you're heavily involved in biking you know light bike and nextie make a good product but there are other small shops cranking out carbon bike parts that are not good quality. i'm sure some worry about QC while a brand name gives them the feeling of confidence

mtbr member
    My 2 cents worth:

I used to be extremely skeptical about these bargain Chinese carbon rims... until I built up a set of NOX. I got an okay deal at the time ($300 per rim at Backcountry), but I had just cracked my second pair of Stan Flows and wanted to try some carbon. I have to admit, they built up extremely true in record time. I laced a pair of the 29er 35mm I.D. assymetrical rims to King hubs. I have over 2 years of rock bashing on these. My usual trails are Downieville DH, Mr. Toads, Demo area trails, Northstar area, and Mammoth area. These wheels have taken a beating. They are scratched, gouged, and marked up all over, but no breaks. I run 25 psi in a tubeless setup (no cinch bead, just straight wall). After my experience with these, I was looking for another NOX setup. The prices shot up over $400 to $475 everywhere I looked. I like them, but not for that much when you can get WTB ci TCS 35s with Hope hubs for the same price ($1200 approx). Instead, I found the NEXTIE deal on EBay for $279 as was mentioned above. I built these up for a Yeti SB5c with Hope hubs (36mm wide). I wanted bargain all the way. I built these for under $600 (non boost spacing). Same trails, but only 6 months testing. I gotta say, WOW! I love these things! I built these myself (again) and they built up just as easy as the NOX. I will say that these rims can be hit or miss from batch to batch, but I have been lucky twice. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set. I really want to build a set for my DH rig to see how they hold up. I do take my Yeti down the same trails (shuttle/lift assist), just not quite as fast. Hope this helps anyone.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    T700, T800 carbon fiber rims, some of rims are on sale now: MTB Rim

All customized wheels are accepted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone used the wheels above? Asking for a friend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeyekulBayrd View Post
    The ones from this link?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Speed Bikes View Post
    T700, T800 carbon fiber rims, some of rims are on sale now: MTB Rim

All customized wheels are accepted.
    If so, I have 3 sets of their rims and one frame. The third pair of rims and the frame aren't built yet though. I can say that their service is top notch just like their product. But pictures are better so here you go.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_1955.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0232.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_2625-1-.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0700.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Niiiiiice.

damned rocks...
    I have a set of rims from them, they have been flawless.
    Had a couple of rim strikes due to excessive lower pressure riding rocky trails, but no damage at all.
    Will buy again from them.

mtbr member
    I've purchased 2 sets for 30mm wide carbon rims from XMcarbonspeed.com, both sets were flawless in the time I owned them, sold the bikes after 2 years on the rims but as far as I know, they are still going strong with the new owners. The carbon hoops are fairly light and strong. They offer an option that deletes the spoke holes so no tape is needed on a tubeless setup. When I am ready for a set of 40mm wide 27.5 wheels w/ DT Swiss hubs, I'll be placing an order for another set with Peter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yes, I do. In September I've got the wheel set with these rime already for two years and still strong and straight. Broke a couple of spokes because of a bough, but the rim remained straight. Reliable and strong. The weight of my wheel set was 1540 gr. A+++ rims and A+++ seller.
    My IP-256SL buildlist: [here]

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm liking this feedback. If I ever trash one of my nox wheels I'll definitely try out some of the aforementioned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm liking this feedback. If I ever trash one of my nox wheels I'll definitely try out some of the aforementioned.
    Good choice!

Carbon rims remains straight unlike aluminium rims. Although much better. When they fail, they break, but that's when you have a big crash or doing things you shouldn't do. These rims are for XC ( and the XC downhills), not for DH. With XC use, and they I mean heavy XC, they won't let you down. For Sure!
    My IP-256SL buildlist: [here]

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm not Enduro racer but I may end up at one in WV next year. My farlow wheels are pretty beastly.

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384

Members who have read this thread: 504