Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283
Results 8,201 to 8,269 of 8269
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fields View Post
    Too cheap: ? 200lb rider. Light mtb, nothing bigger than about 24" drop.
    I'm not attracted to that product as much as this one.
    700C 29ER MTB Carbon Wheels 35mm Width 771-772 Mountain Bicycle Carbon WheelSet | eBay
    30mm inner hookless width is the minimum.
    Looks like DT350 hubs can be spec'ed. I'd want Sapim Laser spokes and Sapim Polyax 12mm brass nipples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'm not attracted to that product as much as this one.
    700C 29ER MTB Carbon Wheels 35mm Width 771-772 Mountain Bicycle Carbon WheelSet | eBay
    30mm inner hookless width is the minimum.
    Looks like DT350 hubs can be spec'ed. I'd want Sapim Laser spokes and Sapim Polyax 12mm brass nipples.
    Thanks. It's for an older bike (2011 rockhopper comp w upgrades), so budget has to be contained and also I need qr (which luckily makes rims cheaper for me).

I have been looking at aluminium options also. Good weight can be had for ~$400. Might be safer option...

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi,
    Im new to the forum an I subscribed because its the only place where I found some information about EIE carbon rims. Are they still holding up well? The price for them as a wheel set with Novatec 771/772 and Dt Swiss competition ist pretty good, so im thinking about pulling the trigger
    Does anyone have experience with the build quality of the wheels? Or have you just ordered the rims?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I consider them new but the rims I see are models sold by other companies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zircon View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the build quality of the wheels? Or have you just ordered the rims?
    I bought a set last week. I'll write about them, but it'll be another week before they arrive, and another two before they're laced. Their sales contact (Lucy) is very responsive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zircon View Post
    Hi,
    Im new to the forum an I subscribed because its the only place where I found some information about EIE carbon rims. Are they still holding up well? The price for them as a wheel set with Novatec 771/772 and Dt Swiss competition ist pretty good, so im thinking about pulling the trigger
    The EIE rims are holding fine, a few scratches from rock strikes but still perfectly true. I had ordered rims only and had them laced to Hope hubs here in France.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Has anyone used a cheap chineese carbon rim to replace a stock I9 rim on a straight pull hub with I9 spokes?

I've seen that any spokes greater than 2.0mm(middle diameter) will void warranties.

At the end of the day what does it matter as long the tension on the spokes aren't over the max of the rim?

Also, isn't aluminum softer than steel ? Shouldn't that be taken into account?

Has anyone tried this ?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Thicker spokes are stiffer (less elongation per force), so it's possible that with less wheel flex there is more load on individual spokes. Meaning that more flexible softer spokes will have more give that will spread force (an impact) on more spokes, so each spoke hole will see less force. I think the only way to test that theory is with simulation software or an experiment.

And then you have impacts directly on the spoke, like a stick in the wheel.

You can just ask them, some of the stores do reply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toot3344556 View Post
    Has anyone used a cheap chineese carbon rim to replace a stock I9 rim on a straight pull hub with I9 spokes?

I've seen that any spokes greater than 2.0mm(middle diameter) will void warranties.

At the end of the day what does it matter as long the tension on the spokes aren't over the max of the rim?

Has anyone tried this ?
    Thanks
    It's been done, if you search this forum you'll find peeps who've done it. The thing to watch out for is making sure the ERD of the new rim is close enough to your existing rim...noting that stated ERD's on Chinese carbon rims can be under by ~3 mm

You might have better luck in getting feedback if you post a separate thread on the main board.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Better chance of finding people that have done this in the wheels and tires forum.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Obviously you could use a carbon rim laced up on an i9 straight pull hub. But if the ERD wasn't spot on, you're in it for hundreds of dollars in new $8 spokes. The last Cheap Chinese Rim I built up was very inconsistent with ERD. Off by almost 2mm in different spots. I've never seen anything close to that on a name brand alloy rim.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Obviously you could use a carbon rim laced up on an i9 straight pull hub. But if the ERD wasn't spot on, you're in it for hundreds of dollars in new $8 spokes. The last Cheap Chinese Rim I built up was very inconsistent with ERD. Off by almost 2mm in different spots. I've never seen anything close to that on a name brand alloy rim.
    Interesting point on the ERD between different ares of the Rim.

Let's assume the Spokes and Rim play nice together and match.

IS there a legit concern about the spoke width and what LB has in their warranty ?

Also, I9 sells their straight pull hubs and spokes on carbon hoops... how do they do it ? do you think there's a special layup of carbon near the spoke holes?.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Has anyone tried this ?
    Thanks
    I replaced a set of Flow (not EX) rims with Light Bicycle rims and it worked out great. As someone else said, make sure the ERDs are close. And double check the ERD on the rims to make sure they match the spec (mine were spot on). They laced up fine, and I ended up with a slightly wider internal width and lighter rim.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    IS there a legit concern about the spoke width and what LB has in their warranty ?

Also, I9 sells their straight pull hubs and spokes on carbon hoops... how do they do it ? do you think there's a special layup of carbon near the spoke holes?.
    As far as I9 spokes and LB rims go, you have to use the appropriate correction values when tensioning the spokes, due to the larger diameter and material. I also have a couple of pairs of factory-built I9s with Derby rims (Yes, I have a problem. I'm currently seeking treatment). It's safe to say that there's no magic in their own carbon rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    As far as I9 spokes and LB rims go, you have to use the appropriate correction values when tensioning the spokes, due to the larger diameter and material. I also have a couple of pairs of factory-built I9s with Derby rims (Yes, I have a problem. I'm currently seeking treatment). It's safe to say that there's no magic in their own carbon rims.
    Haha me too, the have a second set of I9 hubs I own are jbend though... easier to work with.

I buy the spoke correction value theory/approach.
    Are I9 carbon rims tensioned to different values?
    I know my torch set has the kgf up around 31-33 on the park tool tensionmeter.

Can you help me out with these correction values?

Also, the ERD on my LB rims are actually smaller than my stock I9 torch rims interesting enough... I am contemplating nipple washers to add some distance as well as dispersing some of the force around the spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi guys, I just had one of my 4 year old LB wider 29er rims break and I am looking to replace it with a new wider rim. The asymmetric 35mm wide rim from EIE looks to be identical to one from carbonbicycle.cc but less expensive. I was wondering if there is any history with this company or did it just spring up? My fear is that it is just one step beyond the company's selling on eBay. I don't want to be hosed if something goes wrong with the rim.

Thanks

mtbr member
    this thread is 165 pages...
    what are the cliffs on nextie/derby/everything else? are they all the same, like most of the chiner carbon frames?

ideally I'd like a set of 35id hoops laced to some good q/r hubs for my karate monkey. I'd have them built here, likely on xt hubs or something similar, with good strong spokes. or should I get some more lighter race type gauge spokes to keep from cracking the rims with the rigid bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    You really don't get the measure of a company until you break something. So far, I'm impressed with EIE (good product, fast shipping, great communication), but I haven't had to put their post-purchase service to the test. I did find their rims stiff and forgiving to build, and both of them (in different sizes: i29 and i39) had an identical ERD from multiple test holes.

Share photo from EIE

The bottom rim on this page is mine. Something important: there's a difference between a graphic and a decal. A graphic is painted on the wheel, then covered in either a matte or gloss clearcoat. A decal is a glossy sticker that goes on top of the clearcoat. I ordered matte rims on the assumption the EIE logo would be glossy as in most of the other pictures. You can see that it's not because they do graphics unless instructed otherwise and the other pictures were (so it appears) of decals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    ideally I'd like a set of 35id hoops laced to some good q/r hubs for my karate monkey. I'd have them built here, likely on xt hubs or something similar, with good strong spokes. or should I get some more lighter race type gauge spokes to keep from cracking the rims with the rigid bike?
    Derby (and Light Bicycle) have a USA presence. Nextie and EIE don't. That can matter for warranty turnaround times and support in general. The resilience of the rim derives mostly from weight and the thickness of the beads. Many sellers offer heavy-duty layups that add 30-70g per rim. Paired with a suitably thick tire that overlaps the bead, they'll be very durable.

With carbon rims and a decent hub, most spoke combinations will have adequate load capacity because you can use very high tension. A build with more and/or thicker spokes will have more lateral stiffness, though with a Boost hub and a wide 27.5" carbon rim, you'll have that to spare.

If you're light and someone else is building it, you might do a 28H build with a 2/1.5/2 spoke like Sapim Laser. If you're average, heavy, or hard on wheels, 32H is preferable. If you're the builder, a 2/1.8/2 spoke like DT Competition will make the build easier and the wheel a bit stronger. XT hubs are fine, though I'd pick something with more pawls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi All, great great thread. Read the last 10 pagesor so. Interested in getting a set of carbon wheels. Anyone have experience with buying from an ebay seller called named carbonspeedcycle??

carbonspeedcycle on eBay

3400+ reviews, 99% positive. Their wheelsets with basic Novatec hubs are about 470 built and shipped. That is at least 200-250 less than something from a seller with an official site like Carbonfan and Carbonbicycle. Most of that is the Hub cost (DT 350 vs Novatec) Most of the other ebay carbon wheel sellers have way less reviews.

Bead hookless, 30mm width x25mm depth Clincher 29er carbon wheels tubeless ready | eBay

The rim profile looks pretty much exactly the same as this LB rim.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Hand-bu...ompatible.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jton219 View Post
    Hi All, great great thread. Read the last 10 pagesor so. Interested in getting a set of carbon wheels. Anyone have experience with buying from an ebay seller called named carbonspeedcycle??

carbonspeedcycle on eBay

3400+ reviews, 99% positive. Their wheelsets with basic Novatec hubs are about 470 built and shipped. That is at least 200-250 less than something from a seller with an official site like Carbonfan and Carbonbicycle. Most of that is the Hub cost (DT 350 vs Novatec) Most of the other ebay carbon wheel sellers have way less reviews.

Bead hookless, 30mm width x25mm depth Clincher 29er carbon wheels tubeless ready | eBay

The rim profile looks pretty much exactly the same as this LB rim.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Hand-bu...ompatible.html
    Speed the money now on quality hubs, don't bother with the Novatec. The money you'll pay later to get good hubs laced to those rims could have gone toward a better wheelset to begin with.
    OG Ripley v2
    Mojo 3- For Sale
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go with DT350 hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks guys. I am getting a quote from Carbonfan on a DT 350 set. my bike is a bit strange. Boost rear with a non boost fork.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen carbon rins that take rim brakes?
    I am looking for 26 inch with 30 or 35 mm internal width.
    Light bicycle makes 700 rims for rim brakes, and sells brake pads.
    I can not find 26.
    The only rim I can find weighs 800 grams.
    DHL 42

There must be something out there somewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    I can not find 26.
    DHL 42

Its quite possible that you are literally the only person on the planet that wants a rim brake carbon wide rim.

Have you ever felt the braking on a carbon road bike rim? Its not great,and that's being generous. It would be downright dangerous on a mountain bike. That liability alone would likely prevent any company from selling one.

Consider a Velocity Cliffhanger. Its alloy, 600g, 30mm ext / 25mm int, has a tubeless ready profile, and is available with a rim brake sidewall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Or a trials rim. Here's a 26", 36mm outside dimension, machined sidewall, IN STOCK for $90:

Inspired Team 26" Rim - at WebCyclery|WebSkis|Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    I can not find 26.
    DHL 42

That sounds like a quick trip to the hospital. I would think the amount of braking done on a MTB is much higher than a road bike. Road bike wheel manufacturers are barely getting the hang of making a carbon clincher for road. The dirt and mud would grind down the brake track like it was nothing. I've got a pair of Zipp 404 tubulars on my road bike...I got caught in the rain a few times...and when wet the brakes were pretty much gone.

This rim in your link is for a cruiser or chopper...bikes that are not likely to see very high speeds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Its quite possible that you are literally the only person on the planet that wants a rim brake carbon wide rim.

Have you ever felt the braking on a carbon road bike rim? Its not great,and that's being generous. It would be downright dangerous on a mountain bike. That liability alone would likely prevent any company from selling one.

Consider a Velocity Cliffhanger. Its alloy, 600g, 30mm ext / 25mm int, has a tubeless ready profile, and is available with a rim brake sidewall.
    I figured I had no choice but the cliffhanger. Just read a statement from maxxis. They are saying new wide, 2.6 2.8, tires are designed for i30 to i35.

¨Have you ever felt the braking on a carbon road bike rim?¨
    I did not even know they made carbon rim brake rims until a cou´ple of days ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    That sounds like a quick trip to the hospital.

This rim in your link is for a cruiser or chopper...bikes that are not likely to see very high speeds.
    No longer interested in carbon rim brake rims.

Also the only rim I could find that fits the suggested internal width for a new Maxxis tire..

mtbr member
    Or a trials rim. Here's a 26", 36mm outside dimension, machined sidewall, IN STOCK for $90:

Inspired Team 26" Rim - at WebCyclery|WebSkis|Bend, Oregon
    ¨- Designed for street riding use, the Inspired Team rim offers an excellent strength to weight ratio.
    - Double wall construction for increased strength and stiffness.
    - Un-eyeletted construction saves over 50g when compared with eyeletted rims.
    - 20mm holes drilled in the rim help to reduce weight. ¨

The 20mm holes are going to stop me from getting this one.

Perhaps I should have explained my train of thought.
    I have a 1995 Mongoose Alta. I want to see some places such as the ruins at Rio Azule, Guatemala, and Baja California, where 2.4 is not good enough, and Puerto Cabeza, Nicaragua. Some very out of the way places. Where they only have old mt bikes with cantis. It has room to spare for wide tires. The old single wall rims are not fit for these journeys. The drive train is XT 9 speed hand me down from a newer bike that I switched to 11 speed.

Thanks gents for bursting my uneducated bubble. I saw a picture of rim brake pads for carbon rims only, on the Light Bicycle web page. I asked, now I delete that thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The 20mm holes are going to stop me from getting this one.
    Why the aversion to the holes? There are plenty of Krampus and ECR bikes in remote places with Rabbit Hole rims with even larger holes. You use non-stretch/high-tensile rim strips and its fine. Admittedly, it does complicate the tubeless setup a bit -- you'll definitely be in ghetto mode compared to the Cliffhanger -- but again there are uncountable numbers of folks running similar rims w/ a layer or two of Gorilla tape and going tubeless. One of the guys that finished the Baja Divide w/ me did it on non-tubeless-ready Knards run tubeless on Rabbit Holes with Gorilla tape, and had no issues.

Alternatively, the Maxxis 2.6 and 2.8 would work on the Cliffhangers. Not optimal, but that just means the edge knobs will be a bit deep on the radius of the tire, and you'll be a little more vulnerable to sidewall rollover during cornering. For 4WD road wandering, I don't think either of those issues are going to matter much. The 2.6 models, in particular, don't measure out that big and would be fine on 25mm inside rim. And if you have a worst-case-scenario in god-knows-where, and need to buy a local tire, the Cliffhanger is a better fit to some random 2" tire than a 35mm rim.

So you don't have an ideal option, but either of those two options are viable and would work for you, imho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One oddball issue you might run into:

Cantilever brakes often had difficulty w/ clearance to the tire sidewall. As they pivot up/out, the "bulging" sidewall of a plus tire on a 25mm rim could be an issue. Depends a lot on the specific brakes, pads, and frame post/stud position.

mtbr member
    Why the aversion to the holes? There are plenty of Krampus and ECR bikes in remote places with Rabbit Hole rims with even larger holes. You use non-stretch/high-tensile rim strips and its fine. Admittedly, it does complicate the tubeless setup a bit -- you'll definitely be in ghetto mode compared to the Cliffhanger -- but again there are uncountable numbers of folks running similar rims w/ a layer or two of Gorilla tape and going tubeless. One of the guys that finished the Baja Divide w/ me did it on non-tubeless-ready Knards run tubeless on Rabbit Holes with Gorilla tape, and had no issues.

Alternatively, the Maxxis 2.6 and 2.8 would work on the Cliffhangers. Not optimal, but that just means the edge knobs will be a bit deep on the radius of the tire, and you'll be a little more vulnerable to sidewall rollover during cornering. For 4WD road wandering, I don't think either of those issues are going to matter much. The 2.6 models, in particular, don't measure out that big and would be fine on 25mm inside rim. And if you have a worst-case-scenario in god-knows-where, and need to buy a local tire, the Cliffhanger is a better fit to some random 2" tire than a 35mm rim.

So you don't have an ideal option, but either of those two options are viable and would work for you, imho.
    It says double wall rim. Does this mean there are a second layer of 20mm holes on the inside wall to cause me grief while putting tape on the inside of the 20mm holes? I just clicked Surly, they say, of the rabbit hole, ¨technically a single wall with internal tubes to buttress it.¨ Sounds like I have to choose the Cliffhanger. I spent 10 minutes pulling thorns out of my boots with needle-nose pliers near la paz. Most from breaking up fire wood with my boots. Better get the tubeless correct down there. I also also spent some days and nights off route searching for pinturas rupestres, cave paintings, which I found. I found them by pushing my bike through soft beach like sand. Some Cochimí indians gave me directions to many more. I need an old bike I can leave for a couple of days at a time with wide tires to find them next year.

One oddball issue you might run into:

Cantilever brakes often had difficulty w/ clearance to the tire sidewall. As they pivot up/out, the "bulging" sidewall of a plus tire on a 25mm rim could be an issue. Depends a lot on the specific brakes, pads, and frame post/stud position.
    I have Xt cantilever brakes. Rim brakes are cheap compared to disc. Whick ones might be better. Or, is it just enough patience to adjust and readjust the cantis untill they work.

Maxxis has a 26 x 2.8 due out this month. Perhaps a long wait for the 2.6, if at all. 26+ has a toe in the door, nothing more. WTB Ranger 2.8 and 3.0 are the only other choice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm new to this discussion. Anybody has any experience with the Yuan'an carbon rims with 30 mm internal width? They advertised on EBay that these rims are 370 grams.that is very light consider the width.

I've been looking for a wheel set with width between 25 to 30mm.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Hi All, great great thread. Read the last 10 pagesor so. Interested in getting a set of carbon wheels. Anyone have experience with buying from an ebay seller called named carbonspeedcycle?? carbonspeedcycle on eBay 3400+ reviews, 99% positive. Their wheelsets with basic Novatec hubs are about 470 built and shipped. That is at least 200-250 less than something from a seller with an official site like Carbonfan and Carbonbicycle. Most of that is the Hub cost (DT 350 vs Novatec) Most of the other ebay carbon wheel sellers have way less reviews. Bead hookless, 30mm width x25mm depth Clincher 29er carbon wheels tubeless ready | eBayThe rim profile looks pretty much exactly the same as this LB rim.https://www.lightbicycle.com/Hand-bu...ompatible.html
    That carbonspeedcycle rim profile looks odd, it tapers down at the bead to a very narrow bid, which is not going to survive well. It does not look like the lightbicycle rim which does not taper at the bid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've never seen that profile before from someone else. The profile doesn't tell you the inner rim width or the bead thickness. Both are critical measurements, imo.
    I'd pass for EIE or Carbonfan wheels or rims.
    29er all mountain 35mm wide enduro 29 inch bike rim, asymmetrical bicycle rim

https://www.carbonfan.com/carbonfan-...-wheels-series
    With DT 350 hubs

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    hi! can somebody help me? whats the best build carbon wheelset for my 2017 stumpy 29er? planning to get but im not sure what to choose like the size of the hub and etc. just wanna make sure that what i will order will fit to my bike. really appreaciate it guys!

Formerly of Kent
    Choose the same size hubs as your current hubs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I've never seen that profile before from someone else. The profile doesn't tell you the inner rim width or the bead thickness. Both are critical measurements, imo.
    I'd pass for EIE or Carbonfan wheels or rims.
    29er all mountain 35mm wide enduro 29 inch bike rim, asymmetrical bicycle rim

https://www.carbonfan.com/carbonfan-...-wheels-series
    With DT 350 hubs
    hi @eb1888 I really appreciate it that you recommend us Carbonfan as one of the options, and I m happy to answer any question about how to choose a better rim & wheels.
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review
    Carbonfan Bicycle Industry Co., Ltd

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    hi @carbonfan. can you give me the price for both wheelsets of my sworks stumpjumper 29er?

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime777 View Post
    hi @carbonfan. can you give me the price for both wheelsets of my sworks stumpjumper 29er?
    Hi jimmy ! It's that you ? Haha wonderful ! I remember that we sent you a quote already . Yes you have a rear hub is boost version . Dr Swiss 350 . Right ?
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    hello! yeah its me! indidnt receive any messages from you guys. where did you send the quote to my email?

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime777 View Post
    hello! yeah its me! indidnt receive any messages from you guys. where did you send the quote to my email?
    Your email box? It's a paypal link . Keep me post if you have questions .
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoao View Post
    Your email box? It's a paypal link . Keep me post if you have questions .
    Diff jimmy.. i am jton219. diff email. i got the quote. thank you. waiting on funds and other stuff

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Diff jimmy.. i am jton219. diff email. i got the quote. thank you. waiting on funds and other stuff
    Hi I got confused . You are the real Jimmy .. so who is jaime777.. it's you as well ? Haha understand
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I need a new front wheel. 24 holes. 19 mm/ 25 mm. 29". What do I choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by haakonbs View Post
    I need a new front wheel. 24 holes. 19 mm/ 25 mm. 29". What do I choose?

Front wheel or just a rim? I know people use 24H but personally I would never use less than 28 (and 32 on the rear)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Front wheel or just a rim? I know people use 24H but personally I would never use less than 28 (and 32 on the rear)
    Meant rim. Why not 24? It's a Easton wheel that has to rebuild

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Meant rim. Why not 24? It's a Easton wheel that has to rebuild
    Why not 24H? Well, your rim apparently failed, so that is a potential answer. Maybe a 28H or 32Hrim would have survived.

So really you're trying to salvage an Easton front hub. You might reconsider if that is worthwhile. You'll need to hunt down straight-pull spokes in the proper length. Computing the length might be problematic . . . does Easton publish the hub dimensions? Lacing pattern is dictated by the hub.

Not saying its stupid, but it may not be worth the hassle, versus dumping the hub on eBay and building a 28H wheel around another hub.

But to directly answer your original question, the Nextie NXT29XC24 is very close to the dimension you want, and costs a reasonable $155. Light-bicycle doesn't have anything that narrow anymore.

mtbr member
    It's a Easton wheel

Scrap it and put an end to the madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defuser View Post
    It's fine. Don't try to categorize everything. Except e-bikes, those fall firmly into the "suck" category.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    But to directly answer your original question, the Nextie NXT29XC24 is very close to the dimension you want, and costs a reasonable $155. Light-bicycle doesn't have anything that narrow anymore.
    Coincidentally, if you don't mind a 3K/glossy finish, you can get a 24H version of the 29XC24 rim shipped immediately from stock at 15% off (so $130-ish + shipping) from Nextie's "leftovers" inventory here:
    Stock Products

mtbr member
    Also note that you don't have to use such a narrow rim, the norm is wider. If you go wider you will have many more rim options, and most people run a wider tire in the front anyways.

In addition, typically rear wheels fail more often than fronts (higher loads and worse spoke angle), so if your front failed it may mean that the days of the rear are numbered. In other words, full wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Why not 24H? Well, your rim apparently failed, so that is a potential answer. Maybe a 28H or 32Hrim would have survived.
    It melted because it was to close to the exhaust of my car

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It melted because it was to close to the exhaust of my car
    Fair enough. That's why I said potential answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fair enough. That's why I said potential answer.

mtbr member
    Ok. So I ordered a set of the 35mm's from the USA office as 1) it ships faster (got mine in a week) and 2) in the event I need to warranty, its both cheaper and faster to ship within the states.

Premium was about $40 compared to shipping from china, its $80 more expensive compared to nextie for a pair.

Also, Pro tip for confirming / checking for angled drilling. Take a spoke, add a nipple to it. The drilling angle isnt noticiable to my eyes, and gravity will easily pull the spoke whichever way you are leaning the rim. So pull down on the spoke and rock it from left to right, you should feel it "notch" one direction and not the other, that should match up with the sticker direction.
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    hi mate You can go with us Carbonfan which is free shipping to US, yes We need take longer to ship ,but ours quality is awesome, guarantee You that .
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

Certifiably Crazy
    My LB wheelset is still running strong after three years.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    My LB wheelset is still running strong after three years.
    Me too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Same here! Hookless 27 mm outer/22 mm inner width laced to Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs. Were installed on a hardtail for the first year, now on a 120/110 mm travel FS 29er. Over 2000 miles, and just some surface scratches. Still true and round - love the low maintenance. These were my first wheel building experience, and it turned out awesome. Ted

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Yea the time is the proof . I m proud of made in China now .

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

Digger
    Jul 2016
    When you order rims on the light bicycle site, is the price ($280) for a pair of them, or just one rim?
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
    When you order rims on the light bicycle site, is the price ($280) for a pair of them, or just one rim?
    It's price per rim, unless it's stated otherwise.

Digger
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    It's price per rim, unless it's stated otherwise.
    Ouch! I have a set of wheels on order with them, but was thinking of upgrade the rims on my B+ wheels that I already have on my bike. I don't think my sram hubs are worth spending that kind of dough on.
    Salsa Pony Rustler X01

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
    Ouch! I have a set of wheels on order with them, but was thinking of upgrade the rims on my B+ wheels that I already have on my bike. I don't think my sram hubs are worth spending that kind of dough on.
    You can always buy a pair of Dt hubs with the rims

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just mounted a set of i29 asymmetric rims on DT350 boost hubs from Carbonfan.com. I started a separate thread with some pictures and initial thoughts here as this thread is crazy long: New Carbonfan Wheels. They construction quality seems good and my tires mounted easily without tools and just a floor pump. There arelots of users here who have had good experiences with Chinese rims but Carbonfan seems to have a smaller base so I was a bit hesitant. That said, so far I'm very happy with the wheels.

mtbr member
    I think it's impossible to tell if construction of any carbon rim is good by looking at it. The factors of quality are inside and you cannot see that. The only thing you can tell are defects that are visible externally, those will almost never be sent to a customer.

mtbr member
    I built up a set of wheels with the i29 asymm Carbonfan rims about a year ago and they've been doing great.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I think it's impossible to tell if construction of any carbon rim is good by looking at it. The factors of quality are inside and you cannot see that. The only thing you can tell are defects that are visible externally, those will almost never be sent to a customer.
    Point taken. I think that's a fair assessment. I've seen a few posts about carbon rims arriving with visible imperfections but thankfully I did not notice any on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I built up a set of wheels with the i29 asymm Carbonfan rims about a year ago and they've been doing great.
    That's good to hear! Hopefully their durability holds up!

Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283

Members who have read this thread: 638