Page 82 of 254 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 132 182 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 6350
    mtbr member
    Um....no, the same. The 23 in i23 means 23mm internal width.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Has anyone used the "wider" 26" rim on a DH bike...some 110x20mm front and 150x12mm rear hubs?

Edit: yeah yeah, I know...wrong forum. But this is the deepest thread on this topic. There must be at least one of you who also ride DH...?!?!
    Last edited by Pau11y; 07-30-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by argibson View Post
    about 275-300 grams lighter than the wtb i23 frequency wheels....... But they do have 32 spokes and are wider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Has anyone used the "wider" 26" rim on a DH bike...some 110x20mm front and 150x12mm rear hubs?

Edit: yeah yeah, I know...wrong forum. But this is the deepest thread on this topic. There must be at least one of you who also ride DH...?!?!
    Also interested for my DH bike - any comments?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've considered running some light bicycle rims on my DH bike but decided against it until some reports start coming in.

A front wheel would likely be fine. But rear wheels take a lot of abuse directly to the bead/sidewall when bottoming out through the tire on a rock impacts. In that scenario, overall rigidity is less important than how easily the sidewall deforms or shatters.

I put a few flat spots, dents, and bulges in my rear rim each season. With aluminum rims these are still rideable. The wire bead of downhill tires will stay in a rim despite some lather large deformations.

With carbon, who knows if these could of been cracks or splits instead. Even if 9 times out of 10 the carbon would be fine, it's that 10th time that could ruin the rim under downhill abuse. Time will tell if that 9 out of 10 is more like 99 out of 100 or 999 out of 1000. That will determine how many people find carbon rims to be suitable for downhill.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyboy View Post
    ...May I request that people also post up measured rim weights (or finished wheel weights with build spec) and photos, indicating flaws or lack thereof.
    No.

But... just another quick review:

Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims have been on my bike for about 6 weeks now with lots of miles including 20 laps o' the local jump trail with numerous solid cases on a sniper trail gap, 8 days of black diamond in the Whistler bike park and another 4 days at Trestle for the Colorado Freeride Festival Enduro with zero incidents and no truing. That easily makes this the most trouble-free setup i've ridden on my WFO regardless of weight. It also happens to be the lightest setup I've used on this bike. Ruffians Rejoice.

Bike - WFO 9
    Wheel - Wider rims, Matte, 3k, 36h laced with 14/15 DT swiss to Hope Pro 2
    Tire - Tubeless with Gorilla Tape and Hans Dampf 29
    Rider - 170lbs

JMH

mtbr member
    perhaps not the right place to ask this, but I got a neg. rep. for a previous post in this tread. the person who neg. raped me also included a comment..."Tried to find the humor in your post, but all I found was smelly poo"

my question is, what is rep.? why is it at all useful for us users of this forum? Why can a person send me this private comment that was designed to be insulting but not show their face(user name)?

please help me understand

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bykerider View Post
    perhaps not the right place to ask this, but I got a neg. rep. for a previous post in this tread. the person who neg. raped me also included a comment..."Tried to find the humor in your post, but all I found was smelly poo"

my question is, what is rep.? why is it at all useful for us users of this forum? Why can a person send me this private comment that was designed to be insulting but not show their face(user name)?

please help me understand
    The world is full of dooooshbhaggery... doubly true on the internets. Some folks feel that they can say whatever they want because their identity is hidden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ... neg. raped me ...
    That is harsh

ballbuster

I know this is old, but...

Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    I didn't write the rim weights down anywhere. A little under 400g each I think.

I replaced the rear derailleur with another SRAM X-0 rear mech, new gear inner, fitted a new chain and trued the rear wheel today. The wheel straightened up ok and the carbon rim appears to be fine.

Although the chain didn't break yesterday I'll always replace it if there's been a major drivetrain failure or a serious jam. It's safer that way as a weakened chain can superficially look ok but then break without warning, usually under high torque uphill where you don't really want a failure. I've had that happen a few times in the past and it's worth avoiding.

I'm not totally sure why the derailleur broke at that time. It was about a year old. I was riding along a fairly open woodland track and think that I might have got a stick caught in the drivetrain. It's usually quite obvious when that happens though. I'm putting it down to experience as just one of those things. The main issue was that I was 20 miles from home. I had some Connex chain links but no chain splitter to shorten the chain in order to make it a single speed. I ended up having to ring a friend who lived a few miles away to get a lift home.

Pictured below: The rear derailleur immediately after it broke. You can see the carbon rim in this picture too.
    Looks like the pulley wheel bolt got loose and fell out. It happens from time to time.

I always remove mine and re-install them with blue loctite for that exact reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    The world is full of dooooshbhaggery... doubly true on the internets. Some folks feel that they can say whatever they want because their identity is hidden.
    Personally, I think the anonym rep system is the biggest piece of 5h!t to have been implemented for forums. There's a HUGE stink about it on the CO/Front Range forum. Whoever decided that it was a good idea, needs to extract his/her head from their rectum!

Watch me get banned for this because I've hurt the "super" mod's prissy little ego
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

ballbuster

Agreed!

Personally, I think the anonym rep system is the biggest piece of 5h!t to have been implemented for forums. There's a HUGE stink about it on the CO/Front Range forum. Whoever decided that it was a good idea, needs to extract his/her head from their rectum!

Watch me get banned for this because I've hurt the "super" mod's prissy little ego
    I started a petition in the 'Site Feedback' forum on this very subject.

Please, chime in if you agree (or disagree) with me.

Here:

Petition to eliminate anonymous 'Reputation'

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    I hate to feed the system and add another off-topic post to a very lengthy thread but just want to say it wasn't me. I questioned you wheelbuild, you explained it. Done.

If someone finds a post to be offensive then the moderator should remove the post and inform the author - shape up or get kicked out. I don't understand the benefit of + or - rep.
    M

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Now back to talking about the wheels. A couple of questions for everyone, as I have tried to read through all 82 pages now, but sometimes see conflicting info.

1) I can only find this to be feasible if I can swap out my Flow rims for these. The ERD of the hopes are 600, while the carbon 29ers are 603. Is that going to be a problem for my I9 Enduro hubs and spokes?

2) I weigh 210 pounds with gear and Nancy says there is a 95kg or 209 pound weight limit for these rims. So should I go up to the heavier rims? I don't have much of a problem with that, as I ride aggressively, and these will be going on my Niner WFO.

Thanks for any info - BS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry - Double Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
    Now back to talking about the wheels. A couple of questions for everyone, as I have tried to read through all 82 pages now, but sometimes see conflicting info.

1) I can only find this to be feasible if I can swap out my Flow rims for these. The ERD of the hopes are 600, while the carbon 29ers are 603. Is that going to be a problem for my I9 Enduro hubs and spokes?

2) I weigh 210 pounds with gear and Nancy says there is a 95kg or 209 pound weight limit for these rims. So should I go up to the heavier rims? I don't have much of a problem with that, as I ride aggressively, and these will be going on my Niner WFO.

Thanks for any info - BS
    I'm only 195 geared up, and I'm waiting for the heavier ones. With 32h 3x, I'm thinking they'll be plenty strong to deal w/ AM duties...especially if I slap on some Conti Trail King 2.4s, yeah?

As for ERD...I've heard 1 or 2 is okay, but 3 might be pushing things... Now, I'm talking about steel spokes, where you can get a die and cut some more threads. On those I9 (aluminum) spokes...??? That said, can't you buy some more spokes from I9, or is that reaching into the cost prohibitive zone? Keep in mind, a DT Swiss EXC400 based wheelset is $2500! These Nancy rims, admittedly isn't the same class as those DT EXCs, are still in the same weight range...so maybe only giving up a touch in strength?
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

As for ERD...I've heard 1 or 2 is okay, but 3 might be pushing things...

So since I will be going from a smaller to a larger ERD rim, I will have less threads for the spoke to thread into my hub. And after looking at my hubs and spokes, it seems my dreams have been crushed, as the spokes (especially on the front hub) are only threaded about halfway through the threaded holes on the hub. So losing another 3mm would probably be very bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So since I will be going from a smaller to a larger ERD rim, I will have less threads for the spoke to thread into my hub. And after looking at my hubs and spokes, it seems my dreams have been crushed, as the spokes (especially on the front hub) are only threaded about halfway through the threaded holes on the hub. So losing another 3mm would probably be very bad.
    That would be my assumption too.

Keep in mind that spokes never see much compression load. When compressed, spokes merely bend to the side. Instead, spokes see almost entirely tensile loads, meaning that under heavy usage, force is attempting to stretch the spokes.

Spokes that are too short will exert that force on far fewer threads. The end result is either stripping the threads and the spoke being pulled out, or the nipple can be pulled apart. If properly threaded all the way into the nipple, a spoke goes all the way to the flange of the nipple and results in a compressive load on that flange rather than the entire load being carried by the middle of the nipple as it is pulled on by the spoke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So did I get some shorter spokes for my wheelset (they were actually built up by I9 themselves), as there are a couple of posts on this thread that said that they did what I want to do with no problem. I did an image search on Google on the I9 Enduro hub, and some pics have a couple of mm extra spoke hanging out the end of the hub. It seems if only half of the threaded hole on the hub is being used, that either my spokes loosened up a lot (but they are all still in the tension specs I9 sent me), or I9 built it up with short spokes. Is there an easy way to know what length my spokes are?

ballbuster

Thanks for any info - BS
    I'm 208 and got the regular NancyWide rims. I feel they are solid enough, but I don't have a problem with destroying rims anyway. I ride pretty fast on the rocky descents, but I ride pretty mellow, really. I don't do much for drops, big air, gaps or tailwhips or anything.

So, I would say that if weight wasn't a huge concern (you're still going to save a bunch of weight over your Flows), just go for the NancyWideHeavy rims. We're only talking an extra 20-30g per hoop... which is still 100g lighter than a Flow rim, and probably as stiff if not stiffer.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-01-2012 at 10:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just a bit more info for the thread. I have an order for a complete wheel set, and it has been delayed slightly as one of the rims did not come out to a standard they were happy with. It's a bit of a bummer that they are delayed, but it's good to hear that they are taking QC seriously and making sure the product is right before sending it out.

mtbr member
    Also have ha significant delays. I made a large order for a frame, seatpost, cages and six sets of wheels on July 4th. Should receive the last of the order mid next week. When I ordered I was told 12 days to my door. They seem overwhelmed, not scamming, but be advised the are probably over committing to delivery times.

Also, the 32h wide 29er wheels came in quite a bit heavier than I hoped...just over 1700.
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

ballbuster

well, 1.5mm (more or less).

The ERD measurement is the diameter of the circle, the spoke length is the radius of the circle (and a bit less the triangle offset kinda thing, which isn't much).

mtbr member

Helin 29er rims

I got my 29er wide rims from Helin yesterday. They didn┤t have UD matte in stock, so I had to wait 2 weeks. After that the shipping took 5 days. Shipping cost was 3 times cheaper than LB. Rims were wrapped on bubbles and packed on carton box - pretty primitive.
    391+393g. 32H, UD matte.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-imag0059.jpg  

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainerhq View Post
    I got my 29er wide rims from Helin yesterday. They didn┤t have UD matte in stock, so I had to wait 2 weeks. After that the shipping took 5 days. Shipping cost was 3 times cheaper than LB. Rims were wrapped on bubbles and packed on carton box - pretty primitive.
    391+393g. 32H, UD matte.
    Prices?
    ╭∩╮( ║.║ )╭∩╮

Page 82 of 254 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 132 182 ... LastLast