other photo:
    racing ralph 2.25 wire, 0.8 bar

new wheels on flyxii fr-219

all photo https://plus.google.com/photos/11399...617?banner=pwa

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeysy View Post
    light bicycle wider rim 29er:

Nice job with the build!!!

You ought to invest in a pair of calipers to get accurate measurements.

BB

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    stiff, light, tire strongly attached to bead even on low pressure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeysy View Post
    stiff, light, tire strongly attached to bead even on low pressure

Are those tires mounted without tubes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Are those tires mounted without tubes?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How much of a struggle was mounting the ralphs? Are you using bontrager rim strips or something else?

Asking since I was attempting to mount a new ralph on one of these rims (bontrager rim strip) and it was a huge struggle to get only one of the beads over the rim. I've dealt with tight tires before, but this seems insanely tight. Considering mounting the tires on another pair of rims with tubes first in hopes of stretching the beads slightly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    How much of a struggle was mounting the ralphs? Are you using bontrager rim strips or something else?

Asking since I was attempting to mount a new ralph on one of these rims (bontrager rim strip) and it was a huge struggle to get only one of the beads over the rim. I've dealt with tight tires before, but this seems insanely tight. Considering mounting the tires on another pair of rims with tubes first in hopes of stretching the beads slightly.
    I am using notubes yellow tape 25mm and mavic valve.
    front wheel: mounting racing ralph wire 2.25*29 new. rear wheel: mounting very used racing ralph snakeskin 2.25*29. Mounting both tires by arms. Mounting tires by this video How to install a tube tire on a tubeless wheel with sealant and a floor pump - YouTube (begin 2:00)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I am very easy to mounting both tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I bought this wheelset on Ebay because it was so cheap, I only paid £201 which is like $305.

I don't have a scale to weigh the wheels but the seller stated that the rims were 375g each, front hub is 240g and the rear hub is 440g, total wheelset 1813g. The spokes are DT competition (are these any good?) And apparantly there is titanium in the sidewalls. Does anyone know what hubs these are? Also what rims are these? I can't find any information on them.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-062.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-059.jpg

Name:  berg 1.JPG
Views: 1385
Size:  53.1 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-070.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=robgall13;10247746]I bought this wheelset on Ebay because it was so cheap, I only paid £201 which is like $305.

I don't have a scale to weigh the wheels but the seller stated that the rims were 375g each, front hub is 240g and the rear hub is 440g, total wheelset 1813g. The spokes are DT competition (are these any good?) And apparantly there is titanium in the sidewalls. You have got to be joking ......
    Does anyone know what hubs these are? Also what rims are these? I can't find any information on them.

Let me explain something to you...if you don't know crap about anything, then copy what everyone is doing EXACTLY......do not deviate. Titanium in the sidewalls ??? You are on your own with this one. Do you understand why this thread is alive ???? Because a group of people found a Chinese company that "seems" to be producing a decent product. There are a lot of really shitty companies out there that are not vetted and you have just bought a set from an unknown seller.....Good Luck with that .

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by robgall13 View Post
    I bought this wheelset on Ebay because it was so cheap, I only paid £201 which is like $305.

I don't have a scale to weigh the wheels but the seller stated that the rims were 375g each, front hub is 240g and the rear hub is 440g, total wheelset 1813g. The spokes are DT competition (are these any good?) And apparantly there is titanium in the sidewalls. Does anyone know what hubs these are? Also what rims are these? I can't find any information on them.
    Those aren't Comps.
    You got hosed.
    Why do your spokes change color? They are silver in one pic and black in another.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I bought some LB wider rims, delivered in Jan. 2013. Did my first build of a wheelset using Sapim CX Ray spokes and alloy nips on my old CK hubs. Tensioned all spokes to between 115 kgF and 120, using a Park tension gauge. Before I built up, I used West epoxy wiped with a Q-tip on all the drilled holes to seal the edges. Greased all the spoke nips where they would touch the carbon. Also used Wheelsmith spoke prep. All holes looked uniform, square, and cleanly drilled. Sealed with Stans tape and used Stans valves. Mounted Specialized Captain up front and Schwalbe Nobby Nick in the rear with Stans sealant. No problems mounting or sealing.

My immediate impression was how much wider the tires look on these rims. Had been running Stans 355's. Ridden the bike about 40 miles on trails now and wheels check true. No issues. Rigidity is obvious, and steering precision is greatly improved. These are on a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon. Wheels are exactly the same weight as they were with the Stans 355, so no weight savings, but with wider more rigid rim, I am totally satisfied. I am running these at 25 psi frt and rr. and I weigh 160 lbs.

Thanks to all that contribute to this thread and to LB for a great product.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    [QUOTE=YaMon;10248269]

I don't have a scale to weigh the wheels but the seller stated that the rims were 375g each, front hub is 240g and the rear hub is 440g, total wheelset 1813g. The spokes are DT competition (are these any good?) And apparantly there is titanium in the sidewalls. You have got to be joking ......
    Does anyone know what hubs these are? Also what rims are these? I can't find any information on them.

Let me explain something to you...if you don't know crap about anything, then copy what everyone is doing EXACTLY......do not deviate. Titanium in the sidewalls ??? You are on your own with this one. Do you understand why this thread is alive ???? Because a group of people found a Chinese company that "seems" to be producing a decent product. There are a lot of really shitty companies out there that are not vetted and you have just bought a set from an unknown seller.....Good Luck with that .
    Sorry I didn't realise I couldn't post here without purchasing a set of LB rims, please forgive me. By trying different manufactures perhaps we might just find another quality product. I was simply asking if anyone knew which rims they were that's all. Why is the titanium a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Those aren't Comps.
    You got hosed.
    Why do your spokes change color? They are silver in one pic and black in another.
    I'm looking at the wheels now and the spokes are definitely all silver, must be a trick of the light. How can you tell which spokes they are?

So far I've riden the wheels to work, they seem very stiff and I can accelerate faster than before, so far so good. If the rims don't break then I'll be happy.

transmitter~receiver
    I'm looking at the wheels now and the spokes are definitely all silver, must be a trick of the light.
    Weird, because in that first picture the spokes look black 100%, not even kind of.
    How can you tell which spokes they are?
    All Comps are double butted. Those spokes are straight gauge. Do the heads have "DT" stamped on them? Claiming that they use high-quality double butted or bladed spokes and then delivering no-name straight gauge is a little bit of an issue with some of these suppliers.

So far I've riden the wheels to work, they seem very stiff and I can accelerate faster than before, so far so good. If the rims don't break then I'll be happy.
    Good... what can you tell us about who you bought them from?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @meltingfeather

Yeah must have been a trick of the light.

The spokes have a little symbol which lookes like a T overlapping a D, I assume this is the DT Swiss logo.

I bought it from an Ebay seller who is located in the UK. They often sell hubs, wheels and frames under a brand called Berg. However the only other bike brand called Berg I can find doesn't look like the stuff he sells. I would assume he gets parts in from China, assembles them it at all possible, brands them as Berg as them resells them with a mark-up. Still they have 100% positive feedback, but saying that they only have 107 score.

hispanic mechanic
    @meltingfeather

Yeah must have been a trick of the light.

The spokes have a little symbol which lookes like a T overlapping a D, I assume this is the DT Swiss logo.

I bought it from an Ebay seller who is located in the UK. They often sell hubs, wheels and frames under a brand called Berg. However the only other bike brand called Berg I can find doesn't look like the stuff he sells. I would assume he gets parts in from China, assembles them it at all possible, brands them as Berg as them resells them with a mark-up. Still they have 100% positive feedback, but saying that they only have 107 score.
    That's the DT Swiss logo.

There are a lot of companies rebranding stuff from China- including a lot of fairly prominent companies selling Chinese frames.

I think MF was just trying to make sure you weren't rooked. This thread isn't about a specific Chinese manufacturer, but rather rims bought directly from the manufacturer instead of a rebrander.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Epic rider

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

[QUOTE=YaMon;10248269]
    And apparantly there is titanium in the sidewalls. You have got to be joking ......
    There are chinese rims with titanium wire in the bead hook for reinforcement. I have seen cross section pictures on the www.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    There are chinese rims with titanium wire in the bead hook for reinforcement. I have seen cross section pictures on the www.
    Link or pic?
    Titanium seems like a strange selection for carbon fiber reinforcement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

transmitter~receiver

Carbon is typically used to strengthen titanium, not the other way around. Those wires probably weaken the rim compared using straight carbon.
    It's also hard to look at that website because of all the shameless shilling that guy does here.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    I did a search and the hole size is a 6.5mm. Good luck in finding that size drill bit...
    The valve hole is 6.5mm. I didn't even think about it at the time, but a nipple would probably go straight through a 6.5mm hole. The spoke holes are in the 4.5mm range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kindacreeky View Post
    I bought some LB wider rims, delivered in Jan. 2013. Did my first build of a wheelset using Sapim CX Ray spokes and alloy nips on my old CK hubs. Tensioned all spokes to between 115 kgF and 120, using a Park tension gauge. Before I built up, I used West epoxy wiped with a Q-tip on all the drilled holes to seal the edges. Greased all the spoke nips where they would touch the carbon. Also used Wheelsmith spoke prep. All holes looked uniform, square, and cleanly drilled. Sealed with Stans tape and used Stans valves. Mounted Specialized Captain up front and Schwalbe Nobby Nick in the rear with Stans sealant. No problems mounting or sealing.

My immediate impression was how much wider the tires look on these rims. Had been running Stans 355's. Ridden the bike about 40 miles on trails now and wheels check true. No issues. Rigidity is obvious, and steering precision is greatly improved. These are on a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon. Wheels are exactly the same weight as they were with the Stans 355, so no weight savings, but with wider more rigid rim, I am totally satisfied. I am running these at 25 psi frt and rr. and I weigh 160 lbs.

Thanks to all that contribute to this thread and to LB for a great product.
    I am 185 and run 20psi on my Tallboy....give it a try?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    who ever used the speichen unterlegscheiben for building wheels?
    DT Swiss Unterlegscheiben für 2.0er Speichen

mtbr member
    I weigh 260lbs, would I be to "big boned" for these rims if I used straight guage spokes and brass nips?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    JRA make sure you have a good wheel builder and actually non-straight guage spokes are stronger and last longer. These rims are about as strong as it gets just make sure you have enough air that they don't hit a sharp edge and you will be fine.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.A. View Post
    I weigh 260lbs, would I be to "big boned" for these rims if I used straight guage spokes and brass nips?
    Be sure to have them give you the beefier rim that is heavier but has more material in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.A. View Post
    Straight gauge is stronger in terms of impact directly to the spokes. However butted spokes are actually less likely to break from regular stress. If I understand correctly, this is because flex and stretch strain are moved away from the jbend and nipple ends. Because those are the parts that normally break, it is better to let the center/thinner section of the spoke be the part that repeatedly deforms microscopically with each loading and unloading of force.

For your needs, I'd definitely go with brass nipples. After that it is all about getting evenly and properly tensioned spokes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ViltusVilks View Post
    broadwaylin, can you give link?

Today i also received my 38 carbon clinchers with Novatech hubs. Actual weight 1615g

Did you buy these wheels for CX or MTB?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    and someone have measured the ERD of the LB non-wide rim? they claim 604. I want change my Crest without sacrifice my (expensive) Aerolites. Crest are claimed at 605 but my spokes are 294mm and there no more than 1mm of free thread...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm also in the same boat as Nicola.
    I currently have Crests and according to Stans the ERD IS 605, LB wide is 603?

Would I be able to get away with using the same spokes?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by nicola View Post
    and someone have measured the ERD of the LB non-wide rim? they claim 604. I want change my Crest without sacrifice my (expensive) Aerolites. Crest are claimed at 605 but my spokes are 294mm and there no more than 1mm of free thread...
    I dunno... what's more important to you? The spokes or the rim? I'll bet you can swap it over and it will be fine. We're talking half a MM per spoke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

what is the verdict on these? I've skimmed through a bunch of pages and seen weights ranging from ~1450g to ~1650g per pair. My current wheels weigh 1720...if I could build a set of these in the 1500g range I might jump on a set.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    zachua- I think that some people even built these up to around 1320. You should ask 'Nancy' to ship you some lighter rims (around 380), and then build them up with light spokes and hubs.
    my carbon footprint has cleats

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

1320!? wow that is light. which hubs did they use or do you remember roughly what page it was on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KLF View Post
    Yes, well under 1600 g.
    Today I received a set of complete wheels from LB.
    28H, Rotaz hubs, Pillar PBA 1420 spokes (same dimensions as a Sapim CX-ray)
    F 649g., R 781g. = 1430g out of the box.
    Everything looks very good.
    Visually, the head height (head to elbow distance) seems to be unusually long on the Pillar spokes. But the Pillar spec for that is 6.2 mm, the same as the spec on the DT Revolutions that I usually use.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    I dont remember the page, but I think the hubs were something like dt swiss 240 or circus monkey. Look for the lowest weight hub you can find, but make sire it fits your axle standards and has good Poe. Also try to use good spokes light sapim cx-ray or dt swiss satellite or revolution. Another trick is to go with 28 hole instead of 32.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    look at page 39, post 955, wheelset is 1340 grams. I think that is about the lightest you can build them. I couldn't find what hubs and spokes he used though. I didn't look so hard, you can probably find what he used if you look around a bit.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have built a set with DT240 and American Classic. The American Classic hubs cost slightly less, were lighter and were easier to build since they flanges are more even. I have ridden the American Classics most of the Winter (because of which bike they are on) and only ridden the DT240's once or twice but my overall impression of ride is a wash so I would recommend the AC's over the DT's. Both wheelsets were built with DT revolution spokes so the only dif is the hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spain View Post
    Did you buy these wheels for CX or MTB?
    For MTB, but currently i can't test them in MTB mode, only road and they are rolling very well - N.DS7** hubs are awesome, rims/spoks are stiff

Pic from last weekend
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20130323_165303.jpg
    Scott Scale 29er FHT, Scott Foil, Chinese 29er FHT

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    I have built a set with DT240 and American Classic. The American Classic hubs cost slightly less, were lighter and were easier to build since they flanges are more even. I have ridden the American Classics most of the Winter (because of which bike they are on) and only ridden the DT240's once or twice but my overall impression of ride is a wash so I would recommend the AC's over the DT's. Both wheelsets were built with DT revolution spokes so the only dif is the hubs.
    AC hubs, at least in the past, have been like 16 POE for the freehub. DT Swiss 240 hubs are 18 POE from the factory, but there is a replacement star ratchet that bumps that up to 36 POE for about $30. I have a Hugi hub on one bike with the new star ratchets, and a 240s on the other, and I love 'em. They spin crazy smooth, they're light, and durable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

man, thanks xc and scottay! that was just what I was looking for. wonder how much they weigh with Stan's tape and valves.

I know mine weigh an advertised 1720g but not sure if that's with tape and valves or not...they came with tape already installed. I bet they got that number pre tape.

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    I am trying to get the magazine mountain bike action to do a product test on these rims, it would be a lot more likely to happen if you all would send in a test request to the too.
    here is a link to their site: Bike Test Request | mountain-bike-action
    I think that their testing it would provide another good opinion on the rims. Thank you to all those that ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    I am trying to get the magazine mountain bike action to do a product test on these rims, it would be a lot more likely to happen if you all would send in a test request to the too.
    I think that their testing it would provide another good opinion on the rims. Thank you to all those that ask.
    Email sent! Hope they'll do a review.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    Sent an email also. they said if they had a rep or distributor in the states, they would test them. But because they were only available straight from China, it wasn't possible.

At least they replied, and extremely quick too.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    They probably only test stuff they get for free. No distributor to give them free stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    AC hubs, at least in the past, have been like 16 POE for the freehub. DT Swiss 240 hubs are 18 POE from the factory, but there is a replacement star ratchet that bumps that up to 36 POE for about $30. I have a Hugi hub on one bike with the new star ratchets, and a 240s on the other, and I love 'em. They spin crazy smooth, they're light, and durable.
    I decided to go with an AC 15mm front hub (it's lighter and costs less) and a DT swiss 240s rear hub (light, bomb proof and the POE). The last wheel build, I chose DT revo's. This time I'm gonna try the super comps to stiffen the wheels up. Now, just waiting on the new version wider 3K rims...

I'll post the weights after the build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by rondigs View Post
    I decided to go with an AC 15mm front hub (it's lighter and costs less) and a DT swiss 240s rear hub (light, bomb proof and the POE). The last wheel build, I chose DT revo's. This time I'm gonna try the super comps to stiffen the wheels up. Now, just waiting on the new version wider 3K rims...

I'll post the weights after the build.
    I would go lighter spokes. The rim is so stiff you won't tell the difference in spokes.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    These wheels will be the stiffest you have owned so I second the recommendation on the lighter spokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Sorry I know it's probably mentioned earlier but what were the weights of your two sets?