Page 64 of 258 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 6440
    transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackBoy View Post
    Stans tape at 6g AND the valve at 6.5gram. as well. Just saying.
    You also need a valve with the Bonty strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackBoy View Post
    I'm running Stans tape on both F+R and having no issues wotso ever. And I'm running heavy at the moment as well. Need to lay off the pies
    I'm not one to gamble with my teeth, but the success of tape-only conversions has me wondering. I've already got the Bonty strips, I'll most likely stick to those.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post

I'm not one to gamble with my teeth, but the success of tape-only conversions has me wondering. I've already got the Bonty strips, I'll most likely stick to those.
    Curse you Melting featherfor making me look like the Re-Tard that I am.
    in my defense we don't really see the bonty strips very often down in NZ.

Personally I already have more than a few missing teeth, it'll just save on the docs when I need the rest out. Now if only Intense would hurry up with the new swingarm for my M9 so i can flick it off, I can get my falsies

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    If you have seen the type of terrain Mikesee rides on a regular basis and enjoyed viewing his excellent photography and video over the years showing us all of the dream terrain he rides - you would understand why running a regular tire bead tubeless is not an ideal set up for his particular needs. Suffice it to say, outside of the driveway leading in and out of his residence, he rides nothing where a SB8 or Fast Trak would do him much of any good.

It's a pretty slick interface to use the Bonty rim strips on these carbon rims (doesn't require any yellow tape underneath), they are light and they improve the tire bead/rim interface to improve the safety and trustworthiness of a tubeless set up. I have been beating the heck out of my Nobby Nics (SS /TLR) on these rims. In fact, I beat the rear wheel so much this week that I had to take it in yesterday to get trued up. I've run my psi from the teens up to 24 (that's as high as I'll go with a monster truck 2.35 size for my 185 pounds) with no burping, no squirm and am pretty confident with the interface for my riding needs.

But that's not to say there is any sort of guarantee. It's just to say I've taken the steps to make this tubeless set up as trustworthy as I can make it by choice of rim strip and choice of tire. I have not tried a "regular" tire conversion on the carbon rims and don't feel the need to with all of the tires that are available these days.

That being said, if you think the SB8 is a good tire, you really ought to take a look and a try with some better tires such as the Maxxis Ikon or the Schwalbe Racing Ralph - or even Continental Race King. All of those are tires in the same class with better volume, better pedigree and better performance out on the trail - IMO of course.

BB
    Oh, I was just answering his question at to what tires people were using. I had/have no idea where he rides. I'll have to look into it. I wasn't making a suggestion of what type of tire anyone should use. Just sayin' what I use, and what I've found that works well for the varied terrain that's around here.

I like my Bonty strips/valves. I've ridden a bunch of different tires and rims set up ghetto, and I never quite felt comfortable nor confident. From what you say, I understand it a bit better now. I feel a bit more both on these strips than I have on anything else. I plan to get out and thrash mine around when I get a chance.

Lots and lots of choice of tires. I've been through a bunch of them, and I've stuck with the ones that I like/don't hate. I have a bunch of tires I don't ride in my basement. I like the SB8/Fast Trak/Exiwolf for a reason: these tires don't work as well on rocks and roots when it's damp. They work well in dirt, silty corners, tacky mud, and they roll and corner like a dream in hardpack. When it's dry around here, they've always seemed to do a great job. The fact that they don't work well in the wet kind of makes me stay off the trail when conditions are questionable. I didn't like the Race King, though many around here almost swear by it. I didn't like the Ralphs either, and I haven't ever seen/ridden the Ikon. I might look at one. I thought the MotoRaptor and the Jones ACX were hopeless. I was somewhat undecided on the XDX, but I think I might give it another try on these rims. I'm not a tire peasant, but I'm cheap. It might be time to revisit those tires, or buy other tube-less ready ones, but why? I've found tires that I like, work well around here, and that are cheap enough to buy a bunch of. Any and all of that might change if I start rolling tires off these rims.

BB, you seem to know about tires; did Kenda change the compound in the SB8 at some point? My second and 3rd set seem to be more "plastic-ey' than my first set. They are kind of hard. The first set is still good, but they seem like they wore down faster than the other 2 sets.

I've learned a great deal from this thread. The main thing I've learned is that if you do your research that you can get almost exactly what you want. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post

My guess is the tire is the main factor whether they can run tape-only on these rims, I don't notice any less tight fit between these carbon wheels and my American Classic set, also the when removing the tire I don't notice a lot of difference, this is all with the same tire..

Just to be sure I did order a pair rim strips, in case I'll get any burping at lower pressure in the following weeks.

mtbr member
    where is everyone getting these Bonty rim strips from? I'd like to give them a try.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    where is everyone getting these Bonty rim strips from? I'd like to give them a try.
    Any Trek dealer. They're like $10 each.

I think you can order them from Bontrager: Components, Accessories, Apparel, and Shoes for Road, Mountain, and City Cycling as well.

mnoutain bkie rdier

40 lbf sound right for tension?

I think 40 lbf is the same as 88 kgf. I believe this is what my wheel builder suggested for me using the Nancy wide 29er hoops.

FWIW, I am 150 lbs and I have the dt revos being laced to Amer Classic hubs...

Thoughts/suggestions please...?!

His thoughts were to build them at 40 lbf and have me ride them a bit and bring 'em back for re-tensioning.. Hmm..

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
    BB, you seem to know about tires; did Kenda change the compound in the SB8 at some point? My second and 3rd set seem to be more "plastic-ey' than my first set. They are kind of hard. The first set is still good, but they seem like they wore down faster than the other 2 sets.
    I only have one pair of the SB8's and note the "plastic-ey" of them (as well as my Nevegals). My comments were more based on the wheels and tire forum where the test results are not as favorable for the Small Block Eight. Most noteworthy is the rolling resistance of the Small Block Eight. The test confirmed the feel I always have when running them - be it on gravel, singletrack, pavement to and from the trail, etc... . They just feel sluggish when compared to other tires I use.

The SB8 29"er tire has a rolling resistance measurement of 40.5 Watts in the test (higher number means a slower tire). The Nobby Nic with the big knobs has a measurement of 28.5 Watts. A Rocket Ron is 26.4 Watts. Geax AKA 2.2 is 25.7 Watts. And so on and so forth.

The good news is the SB8 wears well (as in lasts a good long time) and the tests confirm this.

That being said, my AM carbon rims are all about the Nobby Nics this season...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I think 40 lbf is the same as 88 kgf. I believe this is what my wheel builder suggested for me using the Nancy wide 29er hoops.

His thoughts were to build them at 40 lbf and have me ride them a bit and bring 'em back for re-tensioning.. Hmm..

88kgf is too low for any serious wheel.
    A general recommendation is 90-120 and with these things being carbon and allegedly rated all the way to a staggering 180 I would take em all they way to 120.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

I'd think it's the other way around, 40kgf is 88lbs, if at least there is any consistency with my weight more than doubling when I travel to the states

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    I'd think it's the other way around, 40kgf is 88lbs, if at least there is any consistency with my weight more than doubling when I travel to the states
    Yes, you are correcto

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've never seen that thread. I'll have to look it over. I appreciate the heads-up of what the numbers say. That's the sort of thing I like to compare. It allows me to see the numbers behind my impressions. That said, the SB8 seem to roll faster than other tires I've ridden, but if I have a tire on that list that has lower numbers, I'll try the "feel" of it to compare to the numbers.

Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    My guess is the tire is the main factor whether they can run tape-only on these rims.
    I think it's the rim. A Stans rim has a different bead hook for the tire to connect with, so their tape is all you need. I think the Bonty strip is used to replicate a hook interface like with the Stan's rim. I would assume you can't even use a Bonty strip on a Stan's rim, but I'm not sure.
    I was also under the assumption that UST tires has a different bead hook for the same reason, but thought they can only be used on certain rims. Again, I don't really know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just canceled my order today. After 3weeks they still are not complete and have not shipped.

I'm going to just get some stan's instead. At least I know I will get them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Please, tell a little more. Where and what did you order, who did you deal with and what was the reason for the delay? Thanks!

Dirt Bike Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkr678 View Post
    Just canceled my order today. After 3weeks they still are not complete and have not shipped.

I'm going to just get some stan's instead. At least I know I will get them.
    Hmmm I just ordered some beefy 26" rims a couple days ago... Nancy mentioned they were about 20 days out
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    these guys seem to be very accurate on stated delivery times.

they don't seem to mislead the customer in my experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ordered a pre build 29er wheel set from light bicycle. They first said we will have your order built in 10 days and send you a tracking number. After 12 days I emailed asking them what was going on and they replied that the rims just finished today and in 2 days they will ship.

After another 3 days another email asking what was up. Their reply was that they are on the build line and they did the QC check should be 2 more days.

2days later no tracking info I told them to cancel the order and give me a refund. The promised that they could "ship them tomorrow that they are being built today", funny I thought they were built?

I just want my money back at this point.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thank you for your reply. I seem to be in a similar mess, but I'll wait till 45 days pass. I wish I knew where to turn I case I end up without my rims...

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I ordered a pre build 29er wheel set from light bicycle. They first said we will have your order built in 10 days and send you a tracking number. After 12 days I emailed asking them what was going on and they replied that the rims just finished today and in 2 days they will ship.

After another 3 days another email asking what was up. Their reply was that they are on the build line and they did the QC check should be 2 more days.

2days later no tracking info I told them to cancel the order and give me a refund. The promised that they could "ship them tomorrow that they are being built today", funny I thought they were built?

I just want my money back at this point.
    what were you afraid was gonna happen??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    what were you afraid was gonna happen??
    I don't have to be afraid of anything now. They did the refund promptly.

I just don't like being told that things will happen in x number of days...then oh we need x number of days more...but we need more time.

If you can't deliver on your promises after 3 misquoted dates then you don't deserve my business no matter how cheap you are.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't have to be afraid of anything now. They did the refund promptly.

I just don't like being told that things will happen in x number of days...then oh we need x number of days more...but we need more time.

If you can't deliver on your promises after 3 misquoted dates then you don't deserve my business no matter how cheap you are.
    could you possibly give me your order #?

i would like to try to buy them.

thanks

ballbuster

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    these guys seem to be very accurate on stated delivery times.

they don't seem to mislead the customer in my experience.
    I ordered mine, and received them exactly two weeks later to the Bay Area, CA. I just got the Wide 29er rims, and didn't ask for anything special, such as extra beefy, or extra light. I just got off the rack rims.

BTW, I just did a good full ride on them this weekend, and they were flawless. Very laterally stiff, no steering squirm. I'd buy another set for the other bike in a minute (if I wasn't frickin broke at the moment).

I suggest that you just be patient. They are worth it. And, they won't fatigue around the (non) eyelets like Stan's will.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Any Trek dealer. They're like $10 each.

I think you can order them from Bontrager: Components, Accessories, Apparel, and Shoes for Road, Mountain, and City Cycling as well.
    The RLX 29er Rim Strip?

Here is the online Trek store where you can order them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It looks like demand must be ramping up. I ordered a pair 18 days ago and the rims are expected to ship later this week. (About 3 weeks from order to shipment)

My bet is that this company is going to see stratospheric sales growth. Carbon is about to go mainstream.

Page 64 of 258 FirstFirst ... 14 54 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 74 114 164 ... LastLast