Page 63 of 163 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,150 of 8108
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Remember I built a set of "heavier" AM Nancy rims... I'm gonna build a 2nd set soon, a lighter/standard set. But I won't even compromise the security of those Bonty strips for the weight of yellow tape...and I'm sitting on 2 rolls of the stuff.
    Did you notice a certain way you had to run the strips for them to work with the Nancy AM rims? Was there a "left and right" side that had to be put on correctly or can you just install them anyway and they will work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    im running 1" gorilla tape, I have my drive side spokes at 120kgf, I use a compressor to set the bead.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    simpy16: all parts are symmetrical. You can run the rim strip either direction.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I'm almost convinced. I think I'm gonna pony up for the other Bontrager rim strip and do my rear rim. I did it with yellow tape, but the tire kept burping and rolling off. so I've been running a tube back there for the last six months.

I hope you're kidding. 40 psi is really frickin high, especially for 29er tires, especially for tubeless. I'm 210# and I run 28 psi on my skinniest tires, a 2.0. I usually run 25 psi on my 2.3s.
    good to know, I was actually referring to the maximum stated in Stan's instructions. But yeah there's a chance I'd be trying to get near it and painted my room with latex as the result

Regarding rim strips, I'm hoping the Stan's 29er standard will be fine, as it covers the rim from side to side, actually had to push it under the clinchers at some places.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpy16 View Post
    Did you notice a certain way you had to run the strips for them to work with the Nancy AM rims? Was there a "left and right" side that had to be put on correctly or can you just install them anyway and they will work.
    Well...get them under the rim's bead seat, obviously. Other than that, just make sure you get the strips for the symmetrical rims.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Getting ready to order a pair for a build. I havne't been following the thread for the last couple of months. What's everyone using to run tubeless?

Stans tape?
    Bontrager rim strips?
    Gorilla Tape?

TIA!
    Last edited by DRILLINDK; 01-16-2013 at 11:17 AM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Bontrager Rythm Symetric Rim strips.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    same here
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bontrager rim strips here as well.

I finally figured out why my Nevegals wouldn't seal up. It was the Bontrager valve stems, not the tires. Swapped them out for some Stans valves and they haven't lost a pound of air since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Stans Yellow / Gorilla Tape

Never burped or lost air - seated fine with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Whoa so I did my first tubeless today.. Stan's rim strips and sealant, rim tape which came with the rims, and instead of soapy water the Easy Fit from Schwalbe (which I suspect has made my noob experience many times better).

I was getting desperate as it wasn't inflating even with a compressor and a removed valve, but then I learned how to do it - stretch the tire where the valve is so that the beads touch the rim sides (2 hands needed), then to free one hand, in that same place push the top side of the tire down closer to rim so that it stays seated (at that place anyway) - and then pump it with the other hand. That did it. Pumped both tires to 35psi, the pressure is stable, but only did a very small ride today, will test more soon.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just finished building my first set of wheels using the wide Nancy 29'er rims with Superstar Tesla Hubs, DT revolution spokes and Bonty rim strips. Weight ended on 1650g.
    Have a question regarding the build: The wheels are laterally true, dish is ok, tension is around 19 (133 kgf) on the Park tool tensionmeter for the drive side/disc side front, and around 15 on the other side (88 kgf). The tension is also fairly equal all around.
    I only have a litte concern about the radial trueness. There is no high or low "spots" but on both the front and rear wheel there is a rather long section (about half the rim) which is a little lower. (Around 1 mm maybe). Could this be due to the manufacturing not being 100%, or can this happen because of not building it correct? This is as said my first build, and therefore I'm not sure.

Last edited by Bhorium; 01-17-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: picture problems

mtbr member
    How do these rims compare to Stans crest rims as far as width and weight. Do they ride better for all Mt use?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhorium View Post
    Could this be due to the manufacturing not being 100%, or can this happen because of not building it correct?
    It's the build. You likely added tension too quickly. As you add tension, if you tighten the nipples too much at once you will squeeze a hump into the rim.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Bhorium I just built my 3rd front yesterday. It is the way you built them. As I was starting to get tension in the wheel I had the same problem. Most of the spokes were at around 10 one side and 5 other side. It was the most lumpy rim ever or so it appeared (not really since I bought 2 rims and they layed up against each other very flat and true-this is how I know it was not a manufacturing problem).So then I kept tightening spokes in the high areas until it is all the same. Then I go back to truing the wheel left right and dish periodically checking the height. I ended up with one of the truest wheels I have ever built and around 20 on the Park guage on one side and around 16 average on the other.
    You need to loosen up the spokes to around 10 and 5or 6 and get the radial trueness under control and then retrue the wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Has anybody gotten 3x wide rims shipped lately?...just wondering about the turn around time. I ordered my wider 3x matte pair on December 28th and haven't seen them ship yet, but am not sure if they send a confirmation when they send them out. I am really looking forward to building these up.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    They will email you when they send them out. I just got my latest 2 yesterday that I ordered sometime in December. I usually figure about 4 weeks with shipping and I live in the center of the country.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Also, I was thinking these might have taken close to 5 weeks, but China was shut down sometime in late December for Chinese new year so they lost about a week. Don't worry about it, they will email you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    Whoa so I did my first tubeless today.. Stan's rim strips and sealant, rim tape which came with the rims, and instead of soapy water the Easy Fit from Schwalbe (which I suspect has made my noob experience many times better).

I was getting desperate as it wasn't inflating even with a compressor and a removed valve, but then I learned how to do it - stretch the tire where the valve is so that the beads touch the rim sides (2 hands needed), then to free one hand, in that same place push the top side of the tire down closer to rim so that it stays seated (at that place anyway) - and then pump it with the other hand. That did it. Pumped both tires to 35psi, the pressure is stable, but only did a very small ride today, will test more soon.
    One trick that is similar is once you get the tire on, roll the wheel while pushing down to get the edges of the tire to spread closer to the sides of the rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yourdaguy - FYI - 2013, the Year of the Snake, begins on February 10, 2013. The Chinese new year varies every year in relation to our western calendar since it is based on their lunisolar calendar. If it was the same date it wouldn't need to be called "the chinese new year". So plan those orders around the Feb 10th - Feb 24th celebration of their new year:-)

mtbr member
    Thanks. So, what is the exact process with the Bontrager rim strips?

mtbr member
    Your "hop" is off?
    Are you building w/ the gauge to the rim lip or the shoulder of either the vert rim wall to angled sidewall, or angled sidewall to the flat surface of the nipple seat? I got the wheel close w/ the lip, then used the angled/flat shoulder to fine tune cause my T2 has a plastic cover on the tips of the horseshoe. If you use one of these shoulders, the true and hop can be better gauged w/ your stand since these surfaces are from the machined surface of the mold. Also, the rims I ordered had a gloss finish, so it reflected light a bit more.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhorium View Post
    Just finished building my first set of wheels using the wide Nancy 29'er rims with Superstar Tesla Hubs, DT revolution spokes and Bonty rim strips. Weight ended on 1650g.
    Have a question regarding the build: The wheels are laterally true, dish is ok, tension is around 19 (133 kgf) on the Park tool tensionmeter for the drive side/disc side front, and around 15 on the other side (88 kgf). The tension is also fairly equal all around.
    I only have a litte concern about the radial trueness. There is no high or low "spots" but on both the front and rear wheel there is a rather long section (about half the rim) which is a little lower. (Around 1 mm maybe). Could this be due to the manufacturing not being 100%, or can this happen because of not building it correct? This is as said my first build, and therefore I'm not sure.

radial trueness is something you have to do explicitly. loosen the spokes for a low spot (pulled in too far) You may have to loosen up to 4-5 spokes from the center of the low spot. Try to loosen them on both sides so you dont mess up the lateral true too much. However it probably will mess up lateral true so you might have to go back and forth. It took 6 hours for my first wheel and about 2 for my second.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Andy13; what was the vacation they took in December? I know they had one, all the Chinese sites had big banners at the top saying they would be closed for a week.

mtbr member
    Andy13; what was the vacation they took in December? I know they had one, all the Chinese sites had big banners at the top saying they would be closed for a week.
    Prob the same one where the entire Western world took off...?

I mean, how are you supposed to get work done w/ your trading partners when they're all taking a week off? Just sayin'
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRILLINDK View Post
    How do these rims compare to Stans crest rims as far as width and weight. Do they ride better for all Mt use?

Arch EX rims are 450 grams each and 24.6mm wide. The Crest rims are 380 grams each and 24.4mm wide.

Light-bicycle has thier rims listed at 30mm wide. Is that accurate!? I know they're coming in at around 390g.

transmitter~receiver
    Light-bicycle has thier rims listed at 30mm wide. Is that accurate!? I know they're coming in at around 390g.
    Internal width is what matters.
    Crest EX & Arch EX are 21mm.
    My LB wides are 23mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would not be surprised that it is related to the west's holiday season like Pau11y says. I'm definitely no expert on Chinese holidays but I have been ordering electronic stuff from China for awhile (mostly for bike lights) and so I am familiar w/ the chinese new year delays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    One trick that is similar is once you get the tire on, roll the wheel while pushing down to get the edges of the tire to spread closer to the sides of the rim.
    thanks, will try that

I hope you're kidding. 40 psi is really frickin high, especially for 29er tires, especially for tubeless. I'm 210# and I run 28 psi on my skinniest tires, a 2.0. I usually run 25 psi on my 2.3s.
    i think i now know what you mean - did my first bigger ride with tubeless today, and got a puncture on the rear wheel - these are tires previously used with tubes so there might have been a crack waiting to pop, anyway, it looked like a bigger cut/hole - and it did not want to seal until the pressure dropped i assume close to those 25psi you stated, maybe even less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any idea how much it costs to have a full wheel set shipped from light bicycle to the states?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    As stated by there website, after shipping, as full wheelset will set you back $666. That's how much mine cost and I have been loving it ever since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

LB production interruption

Just ordered a pair of wide mountain 32H 3k rims today.

Delivery schedule according to Nancy for Jan 21, 2012:

The lead time for wide 3k matte rims is around 15days, and for cross country rim is 10days.
    The wide rim is the most popular, there are quite a few orders these days, so if you order today, we can ship them before Chinese (Feb 4th to 17th) New Year vacation for you. If you order in the next days, the rims can not be finished after Chinese New Year vacation.

The lead time for 12K is longer, it is the same for UD rims as 3k rims

And my sincere thanks to each and every poster on this thread. I scanned/read the entire opus this weekend. Very useful exercise in sifting for clues.
    Sort of like Opera -lite with less costume changes.
    Thank you all!
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
    John Wayne

ballbuster

About as light...

... and not noodely at all! The carbon rims are nice and stiff.

The Crest is a total noodle. I felt as if the bars often pointed in a totally different direction than the front wheel at times.

mtbr member
    I've read through the entire thread. It sounds like there have been about 10 or so failures so far. I'm on the fence about buying these rims. My local bike shop is scaring the crap out of me saying a couple guys purchase Chinese carbon rims and the all had failures. One guy broke a few front teeth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The fact that they're talking about "chinese carbon rims" makes me discount their opinion. It means that they are either consciously or subconsciously thinking in a bigoted and/or illogical manner. Specifically which brand or model of rims are they claiming are failing at a higher rate than which other brand or model of rims?

These are distinct companies that have no relation to each other. But some people appear only concerned with the nationality of the company's owners. These companies have names and if talking about products, lumping every Chinese owned company together is at best naive and at worst, bigoted.

Seriously folks, we should be talking about "Light-Bicycle" rims. When talking about ENVE rims do we say "Expensive American Carbon Rims"? The answer is no, because the specific company matters. It matters if the rims are ENVE, Easton, or sram. Similarly, the brand still matters when the company is owned by Chinese people.

I wish the mods would change the title of this thread. It is perpetuating this insanity.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    The fact that they're talking about "chinese carbon rims" makes me discount their opinion. It means that they are either consciously or subconsciously thinking in a bigoted and/or illogical manner. Specifically which brand or model of rims are they claiming are failing at a higher rate than which other brand or model of rims?

These are distinct companies that have no relation to each other. But some people appear only concerned with the nationality of the company's owners. These companies have names and if talking about products, lumping every Chinese owned company together is at best naive and at worst, bigoted.

Seriously folks, we should be talking about "Light-Bicycle" rims. When talking about ENVE rims do we say "Expensive American Carbon Rims"? The answer is no, because the specific company matters. It matters if the rims are ENVE, Easton, or sram. Similarly, the brand still matters when the company is owned by Chinese people.

I wish the mods would change the title of this thread. It is perpetuating this insanity.

Get a grip. Just because someone uses a very common descriptor does not point to bigotry. Ignorance yes but bigotry is a huge leap.

transmitter~receiver

These Chinese "brands" (there are more than one) don't really brand their stuff that much. Except for the web address there was no branding of any sort on the rims or packaging I received.
    ENVE rims say so big as life on the side of the rim... six times on each rim, IIRC. That's a little easier to remember.
    And... going back to the OP, he was asking for any direct-source (i.e., from China) rims, similar to the frames people have been getting for quite a while. Why should mods change the name of the thread? Saying "Chinese carbon rims," if you can keep your emotional reaction at bay, provides a better picture of what someone is talking about than "light-bicycle." Oddly enough, that's why people say it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

A lot of drama around you I'm guessing.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Get a grip. Just because someone uses a very common descriptor does not point to bigotry. Ignorance yes but bigotry is a huge leap.
    You must have missed how every sentence that said it was possibly bigoted, also said it could be simply illogical or naive thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    These Chinese "brands" (there are more than one) don't really brand their stuff that much. Except for the web address there was no branding of any sort on the rims or packaging I received.
    ENVE rims say so big as life on the side of the rim... six times on each rim, IIRC. That's a little easier to remember.
    And... going back to the OP, he was asking for any direct-source (i.e., from China) rims, similar to the frames people have been getting for quite a while. Why should mods change the name of the thread? Saying "Chinese carbon rims," if you can keep your emotional reaction at bay, provides a better picture of what someone is talking about than "light-bicycle." Oddly enough, that's why people say it.
    Interesting point about branding on the side of the rims. However, inclusion of a sticker does not seem like logical criteria for lumping multiple manufactures together.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    A lot of drama around you I'm guessing.
    None of my post was written with heated emotion. Although it is understandable if it was interpreted as such without the body language, vocal tone, or facial expressions that would be apparent in person.

If someone says don't buy rims because they have a history of breaking, what matters is the brand and model of rim, not the nationality of the owners and website developers. After all, most bicycle products are made in china.

[edit]Removed two paragraphs that may have derailed the thread.[/edit]

banned
    Sep 2010
    Why even include the inference? Histrionics are best left to 13 y.o. little girls.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Why even include the inference?
    Because it is true and important to how people perceive product quality from different brands.

My gloves stink

Novatec axle adapters

Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    As stated by there website, after shipping, as full wheelset will set you back $666. That's how much mine cost and I have been loving it ever since.
    Hey Erik, did you get the Novatec hubs with the replaceable end cap axle adapters? How easy is it to switch back and forth between adapters? I would like to use my wheels for both 9mm QR and 15mm TA forks, and want to know if this is a practical idea.
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

ballbuster

Lemmie guess...

I've read through the entire thread. It sounds like there have been about 10 or so failures so far. I'm on the fence about buying these rims. My local bike shop is scaring the crap out of me saying a couple guys purchase Chinese carbon rims and the all had failures. One guy broke a few front teeth.
    ... because they aren't making money on it? I found a lot of LBS shop rats will poopoo stuff they don't sell, or don't want to sell. I one had an LBS tell me in no uncertain terms that at my weight (200#... not that heavy) I would break the frame on a sub $500 bike (back in 2000) the first ride out. I rode the crap out of that frame for 10 years before I finally sold it.

Inexperienced sales people always seem to resort to scare tactics. Scare tactics to sales people are like Mrs. America contestants wishing for wold peace. Amateur stunts, basically.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Inexperienced sales people always seem to resort to scare tactics. Scare tactics to sales people are like Mrs. America contestants wishing for wold peace. Amateur stunts, basically.
    And good sales reps turn that fear into profits.

One of my wheel builders provides a life time warranty on builds. For parts that he orders $80/wheel. If you bring your own parts, it is $140/wheel.

Greystoke
    One guy broke a few front teeth.
    They may of failed to add that was in a bar brawl post ride..

I have an LB beefed up (437 g) rim as a front & an Enve am rear (26ers).
    I went with the Enve rear as my thoughts were a proven design & the R & D had been extensive. But I decided an LB would be worth the risk as a front.
    At this stage ( only been on them two months) the LB is are holding up well.

I did some DH shuttles over the Xmas break in some very rocky terrain, no problem.
    Then a crash that rolled the tire & collected dirt & debris in the bead , no problem.
    Most of my riding isn't on rocks so they probably wont get the beating some of you subject your wheels to, but I am hard on my gear.
    Remember people have also been breaking the Enve rims & the internal alloy nipples are a pain.
    If I was going to purchase again I'd just go LB front & back , it's hard to ignore the price difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    I have an LB beefed up (437 g) rim as a front & an Enve am rear (26ers).
    I went with the Enve rear as my thoughts were a proven design & the R & D had been extensive. But I decided an LB would be worth the risk as a front.
    I'm not saying the the LB rim is going to break on you earlier than the Enve, but your logic of putting the more proven rim in the rear wheel seems flawed.
    Rear rim folds at high speed - the wheel blocks, you come to a sliding stop, maybe a light crash.
    Front rim folds at high speed - you can probably figure out what that means. A lost tooth might be the least of your worries.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by messias View Post
    I'm not saying the the LB rim is going to break on you earlier than the Enve, but your logic of putting the more proven rim in the rear wheel seems flawed.
    Rear rim folds at high speed - the wheel blocks, you come to a sliding stop, maybe a light crash.
    Front rim folds at high speed - you can probably figure out what that means. A lost tooth might be the least of your worries.
    The way rims fail, even carbon rims... I highly doubt that a breaking rim is ever going to cause a crash. More like the other way around. A bad crash probably would be the cause of a broken rim... if it broke. It's not like... hmm hummm, riding down the smooth trail and BOOM! Broken teeth.

Also, I think any aluminum rim would fail long before a carbon rim would fail in real world situations. The only exception is hitting a big rock hard enough to break a sidewall, causing the tire to come off. Even then, that is a really extreme situation... the kind where the big hit would have knocked you off the bike in the first place. I've seen folks come down from air sideways, tweaking a rim so bad it stops turning in the frame. Really, it was the bad landing that caused the failure, not the rim.

mtbr member
    ... if it broke. It's not like... hmm hummm, riding down the smooth trail and BOOM! Broken teeth. .
    This visual is priceless!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    To update on shipping times my rims shipped yesterday morning. I ordered 12k matte wider rims on Dec. 31. On Jan. 3 I was told they would take 15-17 days plus QA before they would ship. Pretty much dead on with the timing.

mtbr member
    The way rims fail, even carbon rims... I highly doubt that a breaking rim is ever going to cause a crash. More like the other way around. A bad crash probably would be the cause of a broken rim... if it broke. It's not like... hmm hummm, riding down the smooth trail and BOOM! Broken teeth.

Also, I think any aluminum rim would fail long before a carbon rim would fail in real world situations. The only exception is hitting a big rock hard enough to break a sidewall, causing the tire to come off. Even then, that is a really extreme situation... the kind where the big hit would have knocked you off the bike in the first place. I've seen folks come down from air sideways, tweaking a rim so bad it stops turning in the frame. Really, it was the bad landing that caused the failure, not the rim.
    I know, I haven't heard of any catastrphic failures here on MTBR, but after hearing that 3 guys on the LBS race team bought Chinese rims (Unknown manufacturer at this point) and all three broke them I'm very apprehensive. I keep flip flopping between the LB rims and Stans Arch Ex rims.