Page 63 of 83 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,300 of 8280
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    XMiplay have similar rims to sell too, I bought my wheelset from them, no issues sa far, and many guys who order frames from them order wheels from them as well.

29er rim,Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

Their price is cheaper than Light-Bicycle.

Maybe LB think they are unique here and have most fans for their rims so they sell them at higher price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I received two rims from them. Quality seems fine. Build was easy. I'd save the money.
    Thanks for the feedback. Shipping time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm still waffling between choices for the 35mm hookless rims. I have it down to Nextie AM and Carbonbicycle. Light bicycle is out for me.

The Nextie 35mm rims are 460g ea, and are $393 shipped for the set

Carbonbicycle.com's rims are 420g ea $353.90 shipped for the set

ERD is slightly less on the CB rims 589 vs. 594 for the nextie. Rider weight limit is higher for the Nextie 150kg vs. 120kg finally spoke tension is a little different. Higher for the carboncycle ones.

Obviously this is hyper analysis on my part but it's a bit of an investment. Neither of these places have much of track record but nextie looks a bit more professional. I guess the heavier rim might be the safer choice? I just wonder where that extra weight is applied. Thicker spoke bed? If anyone would like to weigh in I'd appreciate it. Got to pull the trigger sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I'm still waffling between choices for the 35mm hookless rims. I have it down to Nextie AM and Carbonbicycle. Light bicycle is out for me.

The Nextie 35mm rims are 460g ea, and are $393 shipped for the set

Carbonbicycle.com's rims are 420g ea $353.90 shipped for the set

ERD is slightly less on the CB rims 589 vs. 594 for the nextie. Rider weight limit is higher for the Nextie 150kg vs. 120kg finally spoke tension is a little different. Higher for the carboncycle ones.

Obviously this is hyper analysis on my part but it's a bit of an investment. Neither of these places have much of track record but nextie looks a bit more professional. I guess the heavier rim might be the safer choice? I just wonder where that extra weight is applied. Thicker spoke bed? If anyone would like to weigh in I'd appreciate it. Got to pull the trigger sooner or later.
    I'm in the same boat except my 2 choices is LB vs iPlay. As long as you buy complete wheel sets, LB is still competitive (pricewise). I havent looked heavily into the 2 companies you listed, but if they offer full built wheel sets, that'll definitely throw a wrench in my decision making.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Shipping time?
    21 days to my door. One was 28 hole though.
    Two to a box each in a simple foam sleeve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
    I'm in the same boat except my 2 choices is LB vs iPlay. As long as you buy complete wheel sets, LB is still competitive (pricewise). I havent looked heavily into the 2 companies you listed, but if they offer full built wheel sets, that'll definitely throw a wrench in my decision making.
    Buy the rims and get them built by someone that does it right.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agree 100% !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Buy the rims and get them built by someone that does it right.
    That's what I did the first time around and I'm pretty glad I did. I ended up with Pro II hubs and DT comp spokes built by my LBS. It was good to support them in all but the rims and it gave me a lot more peace of mind. The cost penalty wasn't too bad either. All in, the wheelset was just under $800.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    21 days to my door. One was 28 hole though.
    Two to a box each in a simple foam sleeve.
    Wait, did they send you the wrong rim? Was it supposed to be a 28h?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
    Hi guys,

What has been the smallest tire anyone has installed on the 35mm wheels? Would a 2.0 tire work ok?
    I have been running Captain 2.0" front and rear for 6 weeks now. Work Great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wait, did they send you the wrong rim? Was it supposed to be a 28h?
    I have a Dt 240 28 hole front hub and a 32 rear.

I build with nipple washers and brass nipples.
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-09-2014 at 06:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Is this the proverbial corrosion of which we speak?

One year old, 30/23mm LB "wider" 29ers with DT alloy nipples using Bontrager rim strips.

Ridden in mixed conditions (OR, WA, UT, AZ).

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0147.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    One year old, 30/23mm LB "wider" 29ers with DT alloy nipples using Bontrager rim strips.

Ridden in mixed conditions (OR, WA, UT, AZ).
    Should also have mentioned that I've not suffered any broken nipples or other ill effects. I was just swapping tires and thought I'd do a quick inspection.

I'm not sure whether I should change them out to brass in anticipation of potential issues down the road, or just ride them into the sunset in the hope that the nipples will never fail despite the corrosion (and in the process, provide Meltingfeather with a data point for the does-corrosion-matter debate).

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I am at a party, but will send pictures of my latest failure and I just ordered 200 brass nipples.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So far been on 12 rides and haven't had a rim strike yet. Ran my Racing Ralph in front at 17 psi and Thunder Burt in rear at 20 psi with no problems. But boy did my bike feel fast. I can feel the increase power of the less weight in every pedal stroke now!!! It's insane!!!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pko0wodyy...HUMa7Xxhr-n8ta

This is from the rear wheel of the last set I built and by then, I was using never seize as a lubricant hoping it would cut down on any corrosion. Guess it didn't work since I broke a nipple last week and this was what I found. Rebuilt the wheel with brass nipples and ordered 200 brass nipples so my winter project is to rebuild the rest of my wheels. (I have 7 and have rebuilt 2 so far with brass) The good news is that these are the easiest rims I have ever built with and it won't take long to do them.

Certifiably Crazy
    So excited! My wheelset got shipped today! Has anyone in the US had to pay taxes on the delivery? Here's hoping it takes less than a week to get here!

C
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    So far been on 12 rides and haven't had a rim strike yet. Ran my Racing Ralph in front at 17 psi and Thunder Burt in rear at 20 psi with no problems. But boy did my bike feel fast. I can feel the increase power of the less weight in every pedal stroke now!!! It's insane!!!
    Scratch that. I burped the front tire yesterday going around a corner and coming down a steep hill. Hit a root and handlebars ripped out from me. Luckily I was riding the brakes since this was a very hard trail. I looked at the tire and there was dirt on the inside of the rim. I noticed the tire was almost flat. Left me stranded in the woods with mosquitos biting the hell out of me as my hand pump didn't work and the tube I was carrying had a hole in it. I had the worst luck. But learned my lesson and next time will be at a higher psi in the front.

mtbr member
    I'm completely happy with my CCC rims. I'm running a Minion DHF 2.5" up front and will be scratching my HR II 2.3 for a Minion DHF 2.3" out back. These rims really stiffened up the lateral stiffness and helps with cornering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    Scratch that. I burped the front tire yesterday going around a corner and coming down a steep hill. Hit a root and handlebars ripped out from me. Luckily I was riding the brakes since this was a very hard trail. I looked at the tire and there was dirt on the inside of the rim. I noticed the tire was almost flat. Left me stranded in the woods with mosquitos biting the hell out of me as my hand pump didn't work and the tube I was carrying had a hole in it. I had the worst luck. But learned my lesson and next time will be at a higher psi in the front.
    Front & back. Even if your a feather weight, you should be running closer to 28 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run 20 psi front and rear on my 30mm out side diameter hookless LB 29er rims Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 29x2.30. My bike Pivot 429C, my weight 175. Great tires by the way at 53 bucks each. These rims at 401g each can't be beat for the money, I have been beating the heck out of them for a few months now and still perfectly true. My Hadley hubs while a bit heavy are rock solid and so smooth also a great value, XD driver made from Ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I weigh about 175-180 geared up w/ camelbak and have the beadhook 30mm outside width rims. I have consistently run 21psi rear and 19psi in the front using 29x2.2 Ikons w/ no issues. I ride aggressive cross country and hit plenty of rocks and small (< 18") drops at high speeds w/ no issues. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    LB 35/30 hookless with Bontrager XR3 tubless, front burped at 19psi when I stuffed it hard into a burm, OTB. I weigh 175. I'm back at 21 front and 25 rear, so far so good. I was experimenting with the low psi with all the talk of the wider rims not burping as easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I managed to kill the exact same rim under normal conditions. I weigh a little more than you (190lbs geared up) but I was running between 25 and 28 PSI out back and a burlier tire, specialized purgatory control 2.3. The trail was rocky by NC standards but not exceptionally so, no big drops just some water bars.

LB gave me a warranty claim form to fill out and told me they would get back to me. It took three days for her first response and it's been about a week since I submitted the form. Hoping they will help me out a little at least.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I weigh 175 geared up and have been riding 35mm outer width rims with 2.35" Ikons front and back for a couple of months with about 17psi front and 19 rear. With more pressure the tires feel too bouncy. Where I ride I avoid big rocks and all drops but sometimes ride over chunky rocks that are about head size and I have not had any problems. I think my pressures are fairly accurate because all three of my gauges are within one or two psi of each other. My tires have fairly high volume and I can't imagine compressing one to the point of hurting a rim but I ride conservatively.
    Last edited by dugt; 08-12-2014 at 09:56 PM.

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    I'm interested in your experiences or thoughts on why rims from carboncycle.cc are cheaper than those from lightbicycle, though the rims look to be exactly the same?

Thanks
    Mark-up?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

Why are (the same) rims from carboncycle.cc cheaper than lightbicycle?

I'm interested in your experiences or thoughts on why rims from carboncycle.cc are cheaper than those from lightbicycle, though the rims look to be exactly the same?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012

Thanks
    I heard somewhere in this forum that many retailers can buy the same rims from the manufacturer and the different retailers offer different price, terms, service....

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Also I like the Sapim laser spokes or CX Rays if you have the money, 2 cross for 29er carbon rims with alloy nips. Just my opinion!! Makes for a killer light weight/durable wheel combo.
    So I went with CX Rays and brass nipples on the LB 27/23mm rims and the existing DT swiss straight pull hubs form my Spline XR 1501 wheels. The hubs are basically 240s, but actually lighter. I couldn't do the 2x lace with the angle of the straight pull spoke holes, but came out great anyway.

1450g taped with valves. Nice strong wheels for my Pivot Les SS

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    The hubs are basically 240s, but actually lighter.
    What did the hubs weigh?
    How are they "basically 240s"? They appear very different.
    I couldn't do the 2x lace with the angle of the straight pull spoke holes, but came out great anyway.
    Straight pull hubs are typically locked into the cross pattern they were designed for.
    Why did you pull apart your high durability/performance light tubeless wheelset, out of curiosity?

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    What did the hubs weigh?
    How are they "basically 240s"? They appear very different.

Straight pull hubs are typically locked into the cross pattern they were designed for.
    Why did you pull apart your high durability/performance light tubeless wheelset, out of curiosity?
    240 internals with a 2 piece hub body. Don't remember exact weights, but 10 grams lighter per hub from online figures.

The XR 1501 is a nice wheel set that came on my 429c, but I used them on my Les. With 2.2 tires in the rear, a rear yoke that can fit true 2.5 tires, I was getting tire rube on both sides after every ride. Wanted light stiffer carbon rims and stronger spokes, so why not use the existing high quality hub... Plus I got 3mm more internally to let the tire open up.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    gotta admit, the "basically 240s" threw me too. that hub shell is quite different to the straight pull 240s, both where the disc attaches and where the spokes do too.

also, what is "LB 27/23mm rims"? do you mean the first hookless rim light bicycle did, which is specced at 27mm/22mm external/internal width?

if so, you have a reasonably similar build to me - most similar one i've seen.

out of interest, what spoke lengths worked for you? i can't seem to find out whether those hubs you have are 28 or 32 hole.

i managed to get pretty close with 298mm spokes all round, with 28 hole 240s SP hubs and 12mm brass nips. as it was my first build, i used some cheap cx-ray copies (CN aero424). it ended up at 1410g (no tape etc). it probably would be within 10g of yours with valves and yellow tape. btw, my rims were 360g each (on my 10g scale).

i notice that those spline wheels originally came with round spokes. i still have no idea how they'd stop them from spinning while building with them.

74 & 29 pilot
    CHRIST! Okay, better than 240, super light hubs from DT Swiss...

DT Swiss - SPLINE ONE Technology

The original DTS wheel build had 3 different spoke lengths, but when I unlaced them, I noticed the longer spokes where bedded very deep in the nipple and the shorter spokes were pretty shallow. I got the off sets for the hubs and spoke lengths from DT Swiss.

I used 300 spokes and 14mm nipps. Yes, the 27mm hookless rims, which measured closer to 23mm internal and I had them make the rims closer to 370g and that is exactly what they were. Which, by the way, is what the DTS alloy Spline rims weigh.

You just hold the spoke with your finger or a tool to keep them from spinning.
    MTBP

transmitter~receiver

CHRIST! Okay, better than 240, super light hubs from DT Swiss...
    Whoa, trigger, they look like very nice hubs, just not like 240s, so I was curious why you thought that.
    What do they weigh?
    You pulled apart the Spline wheels to upgrade rims?

transmitter~receiver
    240 internals with a 2 piece hub body.
    All DT Swiss hubs share the Ratchet System (internals).
    Don't remember exact weights, but 10 grams lighter per hub from online figures.
    Ah... I was hoping you had weighed them, since a window into component weights of these proprietary wheel "systems" is rare.
    Online figures... meh.

The XR 1501 is a nice wheel set that came on my 429c, but I used them on my Les. With 2.2 tires in the rear, a rear yoke that can fit true 2.5 tires, I was getting tire rube on both sides after every ride. Wanted light stiffer carbon rims and stronger spokes, so why not use the existing high quality hub... Plus I got 3mm more internally to let the tire open up.
    Definitely a good idea!
    They look like really nice hubs.

74 & 29 pilot
    If I remember correctly, the front hub was just shy of 120g and the rear was right at 220g(with dirt). I knew I should have taken a picture!

Yes, I needed stronger rims due to the flexing, but need to take 5-7mm off the spokes for the new rim ERD, so just went with new light, strong spokes and brass nips for corrosion issue.

Thanks for the compliment; Silver spokes were the only Rays I could find in 300mm.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    I've ordered Carbonbicycle's wide rims, 26" front 29er rear to my 69er recumbent. Been happy of my two pairs of WTB LaserDisc Lite hubs thus going to build this wheelset using 32h set, DT Revolution spokes and brass nipples. Hubs weight 155/265 grams and wheelset 1559 grams per DT calculator.

My intention is to use 2.1" tires, have less burping and shave some weight from my current wheelset having same spokes and hubs.

Sent from my Lumia phone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    By inserting a old derailleur cable trough the spoke hole, fish it out by the valve hole, insert nipple on it, crimp a open-ended cable crimp on the cable, pull everything back in, seat the nipple and wrap a rubber band around it to prevent it from falling back in, then push the cable back put by the valve hole to take off the crimp and back out by the nipple (if you pull the whole cable out by the valve hole, you risk of pulling the nipple back into the rim). Repeat 31 more times, then you can start lacing the first wheel. About 2-3 hours for both rims if you're very fast and 4-6 hours if you're just the normal home wrench. But it's worth not having to fuzz with rim tape ever again
    I recently had a spoke break off right at the nipple head. There's no spoke left protruding to grab/hold while trying to unscrew the nipple. The nipple hole is blocked by the broken spoke. For an undrilled rim, where you can't reach the nipple from the back side (hah!), it sounds like if this happens, you end up with a trashed rim?

(you can't get the nipple out, nor reuse the nipple?)

transmitter~receiver
    Thanks for the compliment; Silver spokes were the only Rays I could find in 300mm.
    Plus it's kind of cool to have a wheelset that more than likely is one-of-a-kind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can someone direct me to select a right product for my new build ? XC style riding, mostly around central Texas. 140lbs rider not aggressive riding. What would be an ideal budget for 29er XC race oriented wheel ? What width size should I stay with 24mm, 27mm or 35mm ? what rim should I get hookless or tubular ? also any info on "how to build a wheel" would be nice. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

You just hold the spoke with your finger or a tool to keep them from spinning.
    geez, you must vice grip fingers, to be able to stop a round SP spoke from spinning. i didn't know they had round spoke holding tools. could you direct me to a link.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Knipex pliers will grip the spokes with no damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    which ones?

seems to be quite a few:
    KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. - Products

are there some semi-soft jawed ones, and/or maybe with a curve in them, like some kind of axle clamp?

i find it hard to imagine a plier that would hold a round spoke

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. - Products

The top one here. I have 3 sizes of the "original" but use the smallest (35mm) for spokes. The 3 size set of these (if they are still available) are the most useful tools in my box.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Amazing gripping force, flat gripping surface for eliminating damage, very good sensitivity of gripping force because of leverage ratio. The big one can rip stuff up when that is necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i think i'm sold. it looks like they'd be useful for all kinds of things.

i found a decent range here: One of a kind Knipex Pliers Wrench, the only professional adjustable wrench

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The 7", 10" and 12" set for $140 is what I have. The 7' is in my bike stand, the 10" is in my motorhome toolbox and the 12" is in my big tool box. I use them for everything. The 12" have so much leverage and grip that they are amazing. Make vice grips look puny.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Trying to pick out a rim here !! what do they mean by hookless/beadless and clincher !! Thanks. XC rider.

Trail Tech: Off the hook - BikeRadar <-- FOUND MY Answer
    Last edited by kikikuku; 08-14-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: found my answer

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    geez, you must vice grip fingers, to be able to stop a round SP spoke from spinning. i didn't know they had round spoke holding tools. could you direct me to a link.
    Linesman's pliers with some tube in the jaws will work fine. You can glue the tube I. There if you want a dedicated tool.
    I have no trouble holding them with my fingers.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by kikikuku View Post
    Trying to pick out a rim here !! what do they mean by hookless/beadless and clincher !! Thanks. XC rider.

Trail Tech: Off the hook - BikeRadar &lt;-- FOUND MY Answer
    Spend some time researching the volumes of information available in this forum rather than asking to be spoonfed a complete personalized guide to your wheel selection and build. Jeez.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Spend some time researching the volumes of information available in this forum rather than asking to be spoonfed a complete personalized guide to your wheel selection and build. Jeez.
    Now there's a helpful answer....NOT.

Funny how its always the ones with the high post counts that are the most arrogant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi there, I am after some new rims. I have heard that you could get some cheap chinese rims, so i googled it, found this thread, and now i'm here.

The thread seems quite large, and I can't be bothered reading any of it, so could someone (whose time is less valuable than mine) please summarize the whole thread for me please? i.e. list all the alternative rims/wheels, where to get them, a complied summary of reviews of all wheels/rims, reports of breakages, warranty experiences etc.

mtbr member
    ^ another nice entry...

Sent from my Lumia phone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by cage View Post
    Now there's a helpful answer....NOT.

Funny how its always the ones with the high post counts that are the most arrogant.
    It's more like the ones who spend the most time helping people and providing information. All you're doing is being an ass.
    Wouldn't it be a better use of your time to provide him with answers to all his questions: what rim he should use, what bead style, ideal budget, rim width, and then teach him how to build a wheel? I think so.

Certifiably Crazy
    That feeling when your wheelset passes through customs on a Friday so you won't get it until Monday... Great!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's more like the ones who spend the most time helping people and providing information. All you're doing is being an ass.
    Wouldn't it be a better use of your time to provide him with answers to all his questions: what rim he should use, what bead style, ideal budget, rim width, and then teach him how to build a wheel? I think so.
    Exactly the same could be said for you.

If you don't like some one's question, you can choose to ignore it. If you choose to be an arrogant fool, then don't complain when you get pulled up on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I did find my answers and referring to the link as i want to share that info. I coulda deleted my question/post, and move on with it. But i want to leave it out there with a reference link as to help others. Really, what part of my post consider "asking to be spooned feed" ? Jeez what an attitude !

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did find my answers and referring to the link as i want to share that info. I coulda deleted my question/post, and move on with it. But i want to leave it out there with a reference link as to help others. Really, what part of my post consider "asking to be spooned feed" ? Jeez what an attitude !
    The part where instead of simply doing a google search on such a basic question, you chose to post in this thread and ask, instead of either A)asking such a basic question in the beginner subforum or B) googling the question in the first place.

Posts such as your is what makes finding the useful information specific to these rims so difficult.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

transmitter~receiver

Really, what part of my post consider "asking to be spooned feed" ? Jeez what an attitude !
    The part where you ask, "what rim, what budget, what width, what style, and how do I build a wheel?" in a thread about a specific topic.
    When someone provides for you everything you need, like you asked for, without you doing anything, it's called spoonfeeding.
    It is how infants get their nutrition because they are unable to feed themselves.
    Posts like yours just clutter threads and forums and make it harder for people to find information that is actually useful.
    Deleting your post is a good idea. What "reference link" is left that could possibly help someone?

mtbr member

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Mark-up?
    Yep. I was a very very early customer of LB, and paid a lot more, much worse service this year, that I won't be buying from them again. Rims are fine BTW, just horrible service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Update: After 3 weeks and a dozen or so back and fourth email, light-bicycle finally came through on a replacement rim! I just have to pay shipping. They convinced me to get the new hookless version. I didn't want a significantly wider wheel in the back than the front so I ordered a second 35mm rim to match which was probably their plan all along. I give them a lot of credit for coming through on the replacement, I honestly did not expect one. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to get here.

Anyway, I gave up hope for a replacement a while back and ordered 2 rims from carbonbicycle.com. So I have FOUR, chinese carbon hoops headed to my apartment as well as one perfectly good 30mm rim laced to a hope hub. (anybody want it??)

Dunno if I will build up both sets and use one on my FS and one on my HT or just sell on one set. It will give me an opportunity to look at the two rims side by side and see if they really are identical.

mtbr member
    PM me the details on the wheel. I am interested. Thanks.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Why couldn't you get another 30mm rim? They still have them on the website...

At 375g, you're almost at WTB i23 KOM weight... not sure I understand the point of carbon at that point, considering the durability issues (rim cracking instead of denting).

Honestly, I'd prefer a 21mm internal width rim for another 15g shaved off the weight, for under 350g. Offer a 21mm and the 26mm version. 26mm is reaching 'stupid wide' territory for 2.1 tires - you lose your cornering knobs from being too rounded off.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I will take it.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Side by side pictures of the 2 brands would be great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Why couldn't you get another 30mm rim? They still have them on the website...

At 375g, you're almost at WTB i23 KOM weight... not sure I understand the point of carbon at that point, considering the durability issues (rim cracking instead of denting).
    I could've, but I was tempted by extra width and possible greater impact resistance of the hookless rim. Weight isn't the main issue for me, it's more about stiffness. I tend to push very hard in corners and both of my bikes have very stiff frames. The KOM is very light (though not as light as advertised) but there are some quality issues compared to other WTB rims. They are very difficult to build and a lot of the ones I've seen are not particularly round. When riding them, the stiffness feels about on par with a an arch ex (ie pretty flexy by my standards.) They also tend to go out of true easily. Sorry to go on a Rant about KOM's but as you can tell, my experience was pretty bad.

Anyway, with the 35mm rims I get the stiffness of a flow ex (likely more so) with 4.5mm extra internal width at about 125g lighter per rim. I run my two bikes at about a 75-25 split.

Hardtail (yelli screamy) 75% of the time on everyday trails and my Process 111 25% of the time on more technical weekend trips. The Yelli is running a set of flows and the Process was running the carbon hoops, same hubs, same spokes. The difference in stiffness is immediately apparent in switching between the two wheelsets. Their dimensions are almost identical but the carbons give a much livelier feel. They also tend to hold true much better than the flows even though they saw mileage on both bikes.

I figured having two interchangeable sets of wheels on both bikes would be a nice luxury and I had a good opportunity to get a second set. That was my overwrought explanation for spending $180 quite unnecessarily.

transmitter~receiver

They are very difficult to build and a lot of the ones I've seen are not particularly round.
    It definitely sounds like you have some legitimate beefs with your KOM experience.
    However, I'll just point out one sort of nitpicky (but important) thing: a rim being "not round" is a build technique issue. Very rarely are rims these days not round out of the box, but even if an aluminum rim like the KOM were out of round when unlaced, it is easily and quickly fixed as part of the wheel build (during initial tensioning) with no detrimental effects. It is eSy and very predictable to pull an aluminum rim into round when it is first transitioning from zero tension. It is MUCH more difficult to try and deal with a hop once the wheel has significant tension.
    What I've found time and again is that many people want to hurry the process and add tension too quickly, squeezing bulges into the rims, which they then blame on the rim being "not round" out of the box. If they would check roundness at the very earliest stages and not add tension too quickly they would build rounder wheels. I've seen this in guys who have been building for over a decade, which unfortunately makes it much more difficult for them to see the benefit of an adjustment to their technique.

Certifiably Crazy

Picked up my wheelset from the Post Office today! They are so light compared to my old wheelset (2,100 grams).

Like everyone has said. They are super easy to set up tubeless. I used two layers of Stans tape just in case, and pumped them up with a floor pump without issues. Can't wait to test ride them tomorrow!

2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was looking at getting a set of 29er carbon rims from light-bicylce. I'm a larger guy (220lb), so I'm assuming I need to get the 35mm wide ones? I'd love to save as much weight as possible, but I'm not sure if the 27s or 30s can handle my weight. Any advice? I ride mostly XC but there are some big rocks on the trails near home.

mtbr member
    I'm 198# without gear and I love the wide rims. The width really helps with torsional stiffness. With Hope Pro 2 hubs, these are still very light, but much stiffer than anything in the aluminum category.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by geetide View Post
    I was looking at getting a set of 29er carbon rims from light-bicylce. I'm a larger guy (220lb), so I'm assuming I need to get the 35mm wide ones? I'd love to save as much weight as possible, but I'm not sure if the 27s or 30s can handle my weight. Any advice? I ride mostly XC but there are some big rocks on the trails near home.
    The rim width depends on tire width? What width tires do you use?

For more weight you want more spokes and more pressure in your tires. If you have enough spokes and enough tire pressure, your wheels will be tough enough.

Rocks belong
    Linesman's pliers with some tube in the jaws will work fine. You can glue the tube I. There if you want a dedicated tool.
    I have no trouble holding them with my fingers.
    I'm having good luck with turning them 1/8 past and 1/8 back. Seems quicker/easier than fiddling with pliers.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Cracker
    Ordered my 35mm 29er rims August 4 just received them today and they look great
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    I'm running a Minion DHF 2.5 up front, and will be changing the HR II 2.3 to a Minion DHF 2.3 out back. They mounted and sealed up well with Gorilla tape, Stans valves, and Stans sealant. The rims still are true even after getting smacked around in the rock gardens in Utah.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

hateful reply

Wow, looks like somebody is really having a bad day. You should be ashamed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    I'm having good luck with turning them 1/8 past and 1/8 back. Seems quicker/easier than fiddling with pliers.
    my initial query was about stopping STRAIGHT PULL round spokes from spinning. i dunno if any of you guys are talking about those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I weigh about 225 lbs once geared up, and I am running a set of LB 27 wide hookless rims with DT 240 hubs and Sapim CX ray spokes. Total weight for the set is 1483 g without any tape or valve stems. I'm running them on a hardtail and they are rock solid. I think you'll be ok with the 27s.

74 & 29 pilot
    Here are some better picks of my LB 27mm rims with DT Swiss Spline 1 hubs, CX Rays and brass nips. 1450g taped

MTBP

mtbr member
    You don't NEED the wider rims because of your weight. Instead you should choose a rim that is suited to a heavier rider. Note that the max weight allowed on LightBicycle's rims is 120-130kg, and is typically 150kg on Nextie rims. This gives you a LARGE factor-of-safety (120kg ~=264lbs).

At 240lbs, the way that I ensured that I wasn't going to be 'under-rimmed' was by asking LightBicycle for rims that were at the upper end of the production tolerance. My rims were ~20g heavier than the nominal weight.

The reason to buy a wider rim is either:
    1.to suit a wider tyre (e.g. a 2.3" tyre probably won't work well on a rim with an ID of 19mm, 23mm is more like it),
    or
    2. to flatten out the profile of any tyre & to give it more volume - this is why many people are buying wider rims.

What tyre(s) & size(s) do you use?

mtbr member
    Update: After 3 weeks and a dozen or so back and fourth email, light-bicycle finally came through on a replacement rim! I just have to pay shipping. They convinced me to get the new hookless version. I didn't want a significantly wider wheel in the back than the front so I ordered a second 35mm rim to match which was probably their plan all along. I give them a lot of credit for coming through on the replacement, I honestly did not expect one. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to get here.

Anyway, I gave up hope for a replacement a while back and ordered 2 rims from carbonbicycle.com. So I have FOUR, chinese carbon hoops headed to my apartment as well as one perfectly good 30mm rim laced to a hope hub. (anybody want it??)

Dunno if I will build up both sets and use one on my FS and one on my HT or just sell on one set. It will give me an opportunity to look at the two rims side by side and see if they really are identical.
    Please let us know if the rims are identical - thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Please let us know if the rims are identical - thanks!
    Slight change of plan! LB is sending me a 30mm ED hookless rim with the same ERD as my previous rim so I can re-use the spokes. This was a little weird to me as I don't see such a rim listed on their site. They just charged me $41 shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Also, does anyone have pics of a wheelset with 35mm rims built up? I tried doing a search but I can't come up with any images. Just curious to see what the look like built up/on a bike.

Cracker

35mm

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20140821_193956.jpg

Just built these last night hope to try them out tomorrow man did it make the tires bigger
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140821_193956.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	917434

Just built these last night hope to try them out tomorrow man did it make the tires bigger
    Hoping to bump into you on the trail and take a look at those wheels in person. I'm subconsciously trying to destroy my current rims so I can have an excuse to order the LB 35mms.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140821_193956.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	917434

That's a sweet looking ride! What is the fork and HA? What spokes did you use in your build?
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have the 29er LB Bead Hookless XC Rims. Been riding on the since May. Everywhere from Arizona, Colorado, to Pennsylvania, and a few areas inbetween. They are scuffed, scratched, and have been ridden in everything from buff hero dirt to Gnar Rock.

They are awesome Rims, I would not hesitate to but them again....I'm actually saving for the Fat Bike Rims for my Muk Luk.

Tomorrow when I get home from work I'll snap some pics.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You don't NEED the wider rims because of your weight. Instead you should choose a rim that is suited to a heavier rider. Note that the max weight allowed on LightBicycle's rims is 120-130kg, and is typically 150kg on Nextie rims. This gives you a LARGE factor-of-safety (120kg ~=264lbs).

At 240lbs, the way that I ensured that I wasn't going to be 'under-rimmed' was by asking LightBicycle for rims that were at the upper end of the production tolerance. My rims were ~20g heavier than the nominal weight.

The reason to buy a wider rim is either:
    1.to suit a wider tyre (e.g. a 2.3" tyre probably won't work well on a rim with an ID of 19mm, 23mm is more like it),
    or
    2. to flatten out the profile of any tyre & to give it more volume - this is why many people are buying wider rims.

What tyre(s) & size(s) do you use?
    I'm not sure your reasoning is sound on wanting a heavier set. Without knowing what is heavier is most likely just some additional epoxy. The carbon fabric is very uniform and the cut length is too. The variability in composite weight is usually epoxy. More epoxy isn't necessarily or even likely stronger. Unless they add more carbon fabric it won't add strength.

mtbr member

Light-Bicycle vs Carbon Bicycle Rims

Anybody have any experience comparing these two companies wheels? I've checked and they are priced $180 vs $145 for the same 35mm hookless rim. Appear to be the same rim-different company. Made in same place? Rusty904?
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhelander View Post
    I've ordered Carbonbicycle's wide rims, 26" front 29er rear to my 69er recumbent.
    I've got confirmation of my purchase and some email exchanging but not yet confirmation of shipping. It's way past promised 8-10 days lead time which was met near past weekend.

Hopeful to see shipping confirmation today...
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    I just ordered 30mm outer / 24mm inner width hookless rims from L-B:

Rim profile drawing provided by Nancy. This is the hookless version of "Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible)". Not really listed on the website but it exists.

I like the boxy, lower and wider profile more than the more parabolic-shaped 27/22mm rim, also the sidewalls are thicker (3mm vs 2,5mm):

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Anybody have any experience comparing these two companies wheels? I've checked and they are priced $180 vs $145 for the same 35mm hookless rim. Appear to be the same rim-different company. Made in same place? Rusty904?
    I have a 30mm replacement rim on the way from LB and some 35's on the way from carbon bicycle. I can compare the quality as best I can but the rims will different of course.

I can tell you the order process has been very similar. I ordered, was promised an eight day lead time, waited a couple weeks, no updates. Then I sent an email inquiring whats going on and then get an immediate response, "we'll ship out now". They both take a little prodding to fill out orders!

Carbon Bicycle told me 12-15days for delivery on friday (different than the seven days they told me at the time of my order). If their estimate is true, the delivery time will be pretty similar to LB, about 1 month.

knobby noob
    Hi, I weigh around 170+lbs fully suited up. Am intending to get the 27mm hookless rim from LB:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-29er_hookless_rim_27mm_outer_width.jpg

for a 120mm FS, for XC and light trail applications. Will it be suitable?

Also, it is the norm to pay the 3.5% paypal fees (rims + freight) for LB orders? Thanks.
    2012 Giant Trance X1 (gone)
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

Rocks belong
    Yes.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Hopeful to see shipping confirmation today...

Rims are here and look good. Unfortunately spokes didn't make in office hours so building wheels later.
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    I just ordered 30mm outer / 24mm inner width hookless rims from L-B:

Rim profile drawing provided by Nancy. This is the hookless version of "Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible)". Not really listed on the website but it exists.
    Interesting, did they quote a weight on that rim? Wonder if the Bonty tubeless strips would fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Interesting, did they quote a weight on that rim? Wonder if the Bonty tubeless strips would fit.
    My wheelset just arrived with these. I also have the 30mm wide old ones that people were using the strips with. I used the same 25 mm stans tape for both so they seem like the same width interior. Not sure if the strips have to catch on anything or if they just use pressure from the sides.

The hookless ones actually sealed up a little better for me.

They said my rims were 368g and 372g.

mtbr member

Tubeless strips? I thougt people are just using yellow tape with these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    Tubeless strips? I thougt people are just using yellow tape with these?
    That's all I use and works great. Some people like the bontrager strips instead.

mtbr member
    I've ordered Carbonbicycle's wide rims, 26" front 29er rear to my 69er recumbent.
    Got my rims Friday but shipping containing spokes is still on its way. Rims are on upper limit of CB specs but look great. Eager to start building those wheels...
    Cheers,
    -Mika

Viva la Vida!
    It seems to me after randomly scrolling through 6303 messages that general consensus is to go with the LB wheels so has anyone had any experience with these other ones;
    700c carbon fiber rims, Carbon MTB wheels MTB Rims items in diy-bike store on eBay!
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Members who have read this thread: 563