Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

2M views 9K replies 1K participants last post by  chomxxo 
#1 ·
I've seen multiple discussions of carbon 29er frames, but no such discussion of 29er rims. Current domestic carbon rims are more expensive than one of these frames. Anybody found carbon 29er clincher rims cheap?

#3,392 ·
I've been on my set (Hyperlefty, Powertap, Cx-rays and american classic alu nipples) since early 2012 and thru have been perfect.

Did a full check this winter and all was as it was when I built them, no nipple corrosion and all spokes up to tension. Few minor scratches from rock or other things hitting them. I've been so impressed I've ordered a second pair for my enduro bike, this time the reinforced model.

Any rim can be damaged easily, just ride it against a sharp object at speed with low tire pressure, so that kind of damage has never been a measure of quality for me. Some issues around spoke holes as mentioned earlier in the thread was a worry for me, unfounded in my case.

#3,398 ·
I am running them on my 29er race bike with 0 issues at 190lbs and hard aggressive riding / jumps / rocks over 1500km including riding a blue DH trail and riding with a bunch of spokes hand tight at one point.

Their 88mms on my track/street bike all winter with no issues for 950km of city riding / curb drops / pothole smashes.

Just received 38mm road wheels for my CX bike.

Am discussing extra strong 26" DH wheels with Brian right now to run on my Kona Operator DH which I ride on lift access DH trails :)

No issues yet, I have had some rim smashes on them that would of destroyed my old Stans Crest wheels without a doubt.

#3,399 ·
Anyone have difficulty with the Bontrager valve in these rims? I've been on another set of this combo (LB rim/Bontrager strip/valve) for months and they have been flawless, including the tubeless set-up. Doing some new ones, and they are leaky at the valve-hole like crazy. Not sure what's going on. Tried a layer of gorilla tape just over the valve hole and couple inches either way from it, then the strip back over it. Didn't seem to help. Anyone else have similar issues and come upon a solution. Thinking about trying a Stans valve as the next step.

#3,402 ·
Hi, I do not care about looks, just strength. My eyes are starting to glaze over these pages. Dear people who live and breathe this stuff. Is the matte, 12k or 3k the Strongest. If you are in S Florida I will buy you a Beck's as a sign of appreciation for your input.

John V
Miami FL

#3,409 ·
Debating on upgrading my '11 Trek Marlin 29er to a "chiner" aka chinese carbon frame or a better wheelset. ~$400 budget. Any helpful feedback on which would be more bang for buck in comparison to lightening the bike faster and hopefully make me a bit quicker. I have reviewed numerous forums about frames, but have yet to find a set of carbon rims or wheels that fall into the price range and are known to be from a reliable seller. Any helpful feedback would be beneficial.

#3,410 ·
I have reviewed numerous forums about frames, but have yet to find a set of carbon rims or wheels that fall into the price range and are known to be from a reliable seller. Any helpful feedback would be beneficial.
You've come to the right place. light-bicycle . com makes some very good rims. I am waiting for my 650s. There are other carbon rim makers, and LB posts in this forum and stands behind their product.

#3,417 ·
I think that should be it's own thread. But, these carbon rims... You're into about $360 a pair for the hoops alone with shipping, and you gotta buy spokes, nipples and hubs.... and that's if you're going to build them yourself. Unless you own all of the other parts, and are planning to lace them yourself, you're gonna easily blow over your $400 budget.

Bang for buck, my favorite metal rim is the Sun Inferno 23 for XC use. I got one from my LBS for $45, which I think is list price, but IMO well worth it. It's light (for a metal rim... 460g), stiff and has eyelets and a welded seam. It's not very wide, but the same as just about the same ~20mm inside as any XC grade rim out there. Those laced up with newer XT hubs and DB spokes can be built for under $275, I would think. Add more cash for blingier hubs.

But, the Light-Bicycle AM 29er rims are under 400g, stiffer and much wider. :thumbsup:

#3,421 ·
broadwaylin, can you give link?

Today i also received my 38 carbon clinchers with Novatech hubs. Actual weight 1615g :(
I will take photos tonight for you - It looks like you have disc compatible hubs where as I have non-disc hubs, but that should not cause a 320g difference!

Mine are 20h front and 24h rear

#3,419 ·
Yea they are wider, but the inside diameter and the way it holds the bead works out to the tire being exactly the same width. I have measured the exact tire moved from a Crest rim to a LB wide rim with the exact pressure, and also if you measure the distance on the inside it is close but Stans rims actually grab less sidewall. ON the other hand, I have blown a tire completely off a Crest rim by hitting a berm a little hard and I don't think I could ever blow a tire off one of these rims with a Bontrager rim strip.

#3,423 ·
Anyone here received the new process 29er rims yet? I put my order in and Brian said they've shipped about 200 29er rims with the new process so far. He said the ERD is the same between old and new process but I was just wondering if anyone here received the rims and can verify what they measured the ERD out to be.

#3,424 ·
I measured mine at 603mm with Sapim Polyax nipples.

The only issue I've found with my "new process" rims is some of the spoke holes seem a bit under-sized, making the nipple a pretty tight fit. Does anyone know what size they should be? ie. Is there a standard spoke hole diameter? I don't have an unlaced rim handy to measure.

#3,425 ·
I already have 3 sets of the LB rims(1 set in each size) and I had the same issue with the 29er rims that I received in Nov/Dec 2012 so I doubt it has anything to do with the process.
Pretty sure the holes are drilled after the rim is complete so new/old process should not change hole diameter.

#3,432 ·
I measured mine at 603mm with Sapim Polyax nipples.

The only issue I've found with my "new process" rims is some of the spoke holes seem a bit under-sized, making the nipple a pretty tight fit. Does anyone know what size they should be? ie. Is there a standard spoke hole diameter? I don't have an unlaced rim handy to measure.

#3,447 ·
I think he is talking about the hole that the spokes goes through, not the hole you drop the nipple into. It can't be 6.5mm, that's bigger than the nipple.

I contacted LB about this and they told me that they were aware of this problem and they have upped the diameter of the hole from 4.1mm to 4.3mm