Page 51 of 255 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 6351
    ballbuster

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by utah joe View Post
    Standard Lefty front, DT240 rear. Sapium laser spoke in for the front, rear is lasers non drive side, DT race on the drive side. I use this wheelset for racing on both my SS and my scalpel, to I went with the DT240 rear because you can change the hub from 142x12 to 135 in 5min.
    I just scored a silver Hayes/Hugi/DT Swiss hub off fleabay for $50 landed. I'm going to upgrade that with a 36pt star ratchet. Also, I'm going to de-lace my front wheel for the silver Lefty hub. The ERD is similar to the hoops I already have, so I just think I need to score new brass nipples, and I'm in.

Now, if I can just sell some more parts from the bin to raise $300 for the hoops....

I can sell my old wheelset. I have a matching front wheel to my rear that's coming off from before the Lefty upgrade. That's gotta be worth a couple of hunnys.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    If I already own stan flow strips, is there any reason to get bontrager strips for this rim? Are they wider, lighter, better?

Thanks,

john
    Well, the Bonty Rhythm strips certainly are lighter. The Stans rim strips are similar to what you would have left over after trimming a ghetto split-tube conversion. They would be about 50+ grams per wheel. The Bonty strips don't even register on my digital scale, so we're talking minimal grams compared to 100+ grams per wheelset between the two.

BB

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    OK, so I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of the wider rims from Light-Bicycle and build them up for my Scalpel 29er. I weight 210lbs and ride in Auburn, CA a lot so some minimal drops, burms, loose rocks and that kind of thing. I'm going with the Lefty hub up front of course and the new TRS+ hub from E13/Chub. That gives me a pretty big flange for strength and I plan on doing DT brass nipples and DT spokes. The question is on spokes. I'm struggling to decide between Champions, Comps or Super Comps.

Does anyone have experience with Super Comps or Comps on a build like this? I'm not looking for bomb-proof heavy but I also don't want broken spokes every two weeks. Thoughts?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge962005 View Post
    The question is on spokes. I'm struggling to decide between Champions, Comps or Super Comps.
    [...]
    Thoughts?
    Out of those choices, Comps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    With such a stiff rim is it OK to use narrower than normal spoke gauge. For example going from supercomps to revolutions?
    M

mtbr member
    I'm struggling to decide between Champions, Comps or Super Comps.

Does anyone have experience with Super Comps or Comps on a build like this?
    I used Supercomps on my Flows as DT claim them to be their strongest spokes and they are nearly as light as Revolutions. I built my own wheels, so no guarentee of perfection by any means. I am heavy and have pounded them, having not broken any spokes in nearly two years. What the manufacturer says about them is ringing true so far. Good luck with it.

What the Crap?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    With such a stiff rim is it OK to use narrower than normal spoke gauge. For example going from supercomps to revolutions?
    I am trying to decide what to do on this too. My rims are on their way and I am thinking of going for revos instead of comps. I have used supercomps before with success, but i am leaning to the revos this time
    Left blank on request

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I believe the bontrager strips are 35 grams each.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Does anyone have experience with Super Comps or Comps on a build like this? I'm not looking for bomb-proof heavy but I also don't want broken spokes every two weeks. Thoughts?
    Who is building the wheels?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    My wheels will be done on Tuesday and I will weigh mine before mounting.

ballbuster

Sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I bought a set for my Bonty Mustangs. I never could get the tire to seat on the rim right, and the tire leaked like crazy, so I gave up on tubeless.

IIRC, Velox rim tape is like 15g.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Please confirm spoke length with AmClassic hubs. I used the calculator at bikeschool.com:

Spoke lengths (w/ wide rim, AmClassic hubs):
    Front left = 291.4mm. Use 291mm or 292mm??
    Front right = 292.2mm. Use 292mm?
    Rear left = 290.5mm. Use 290mm or 291mm?
    Rear right = 290.1mm. Use 290mm?

"new" standard width rim:
    I don't know ERD - just sent email to Nancy.

I have decided to build as follows:
    - new design standard width rim (~21mm inner)
    - AmClassic 130/225 hubs (15mm front, 142x12 rear)
    - DT revolution spokes all around (should I use supercomps for rear drive side?)
    - DT standard aluminum nipples in red.
    - build will be done by Bike+Sports in Austria.

Comments welcome.
    Last edited by Motivated; 05-16-2012 at 05:24 AM.
    M

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    The DT240's are quite spendy.
    Any thoughts/experience with the Novatech D881/D882 which are 15mm / 142x12.?
    This is one of their build options.
    Or is this no place to compromise?

The DT rear is expensive...I was fortunate to get it at quite a discount. I have never used a novatech hubs, but I generally hear good things about them. For me I wanted to be able to go back and forth between my 135mm SS and my 142mm scalpel in 10min and it doesnt get much easier than the 240hub.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    The DT240's are quite spendy.
    Any thoughts/experience with the Novatech D881/D882 which are 15mm / 142x12.?
    This is one of their build options.
    Or is this no place to compromise?
    Per Nancy, the D881/D882 are 600g per pair - they must be really stout. This nixed them from my consideration. At that resulting wheel weight I'd rather get AmClassic tubeless wheelset at 1600g, ~ $800. My goal is 1400g wheelset with good stiffness.
    M

mtbr member
    Per Nancy, the D881/D882 are 600g per pair - they must be really stout. This nixed them from my consideration. At that resulting wheel weight I'd rather get AmClassic tubeless wheelset at 1600g, ~ $800. My goal is 1400g wheelset with good stiffness.
    I don't think the American classic wheelset is in the same league as these carbon rims. I have 2 similar wheelsets, one with the American classic rims and one with these carbon rims and the carbon wheels are much stiffer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Please confirm spoke length with AmClassic hubs. I used the calculator at bikeschool.com:

Spoke lengths (w/ wide rim, AmClassic hubs):
    Front left = 291.4mm. Use 291mm or 292mm??
    Front right = 292.2mm. Use 292mm?
    Rear left = 290.5mm. Use 290mm or 291mm?
    Rear right = 290.1mm. Use 290mm?

"new" standard width rim:
    I don't know ERD - just sent email to Nancy.

I have decided to build as follows:
    - new design standard width rim (~21mm inner)
    - AmClassic 130/225 hubs (15mm front, 142x12 rear)
    - DT revolution spokes all around (should I use supercomps for rear drive side?)
    - DT standard aluminum nipples in red.
    - build will be done by Bike+Sports in Austria.

Comments welcome.
    My guy ordered one box of Revolutions at 291 and is going to use them on the front and non drive side.

I think you can use the 291 on the entire wheelset. That is one of the knocks on the AC hubs, they were designed to save money on spokes not lateral stiffness.

What the Crap?!
    My rims arrived today! Actually yesterday but no one was home and they didn't leave them for me. I will snap pictures tonite and then more when they are built.
    I went with Supertsar Components hubs and DT comp spokes. Plan on running these with Bontrager rim strips.
    Left blank on request

mtbr member
    Mine showed up on Tuesday. They exceeded my expectations.

32, 3K, Matte

Laced up with DT Swiss 240 135mmx10 rear (w/36 ratchet), Hope Pro2 15mm TA front, DT Swiss comp spokes, alum nipples. No washers for nipples needed.

Installed the bonty strips which fit perfectly and pumped up tubeless effortlessly

mtbr member
    jacksonj51, they look so sweet!

What the Crap?!

they arrived and i am totally impressed. the quality is top notch!

weigh in at 410gm and 420gm - little bummed about that but i needed them quickly and couldn't ask for hand selected versions. Nancy was super helpful and i would not hesitate to do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by theHIP View Post
    My rims arrived today! Actually yesterday but no one was home and they didn't leave them for me. I will snap pictures tonite and then more when they are built.
    I went with Supertsar Components hubs and DT comp spokes. Plan on running these with Bontrager rim strips.
    Left blank on request

mnoutain bkie rdier

3 hoops just arrived...

3K Matte 29er wide hoopdeehoops

Hoop 1: 397g

Hoop 2: 397g

Hoop3: 385g

Upon quick inspection, they seem pretty nice cosmetically. Note: I did tell them to wait until some lighter ones came off the production line. I ended up waiting 2 weeks to get the 3 hoops mentioned above. I felt like it was worth it so that I didn't end up with 3 in the 400g+ range. No biggy. I only weigh 150 lbs fwiw..

I will be building them up with:

American Classic Hubs
    Revolution Spokes (Double crossed in front and rear most likely)
    Red nips
    Stans 25mm yellow tape

Will post wheel weights once completed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm ordering wide hoops (30 ext, 23 "lip", 25.72 int). Are the folks here that are ordering the wide ones getting ones that are SOOOO wide? That's got to be heavy, right? I've seen on this thread that the wide ones have been lighter than the narrow ones? Counterintuitive to say the least.

I'm trying to decide on finish, among other things, and J51, your pics have helped me make my decision about which finish I'm going with. Thank you. I knew I was going to go w/ matte, but the 3K matte looks sweet, and I don't get super-amped on how stuff looks very easily.

I have tried to go tubeless 2 or 3 times on 2 or 3 sets of wheels, with a myriad of tires, and my result have been a mixed bag of failure and bad luck. I plan to stay the course on this set.

This thread has been invaluable in guiding me in the right direction. I plan to do what I can to help advance the cause.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    After reading all the good experiences about these rims i am planning on buying a set.

To get to the nice trails i have to transport my bike on a bikecarrier. The rims are ratchet to the carrier.

I was wondering if this does any damage to the carbon rims. Anybody using carbon rims and a bike carrier? What is your experience with it?

I mean a system like this:

Last edited by sand0kan; 05-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    I've use a bike carrier, no problems. It's a Bob Ratchet kind of roof carrier

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i got 4 rims a few weeks ago. the first pair are built now and ready for the first ride. i swapped them onto some wheels that had stans crest on them. straight swap, same spokes (dt comps x32) but new nipples. the spokes looked a bit too long on the front wheel but they worked out. the rear was almost perfect, with just a little spoke protruding out of the top of the nipple.
    i've used bonty rhythm strips, american classic vavles, bronson front and racing ralph snakeskin 2.25 rear. pumped up with a track pump with a nice loud popping noise as they seated. i'm glad i used the bonty strips, i think the fit would have been loose otherwise.
    i'll see how i like these before i decide what to do with the 2nd pair. i have it in mind to build them with xtr hubs and lighter spokes....supercomp/revolution/cx rays???

Page 51 of 255 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 151 ... LastLast