Page 5 of 165 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    That frame is the same model as the LTK023, lots of people happy with them on the right thread.

I was interested on the complete wheelset, but for 520 USD, no way. Each rim costs 155 USD, 520-155x2=210, those Novatec hubs and pillar spokes value isn't 210 USD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FiCaçador View Post
    That frame is the same model as the LTK023, lots of people happy with them on the right thread.

I was interested on the complete wheelset, but for 520 USD, no way. Each rim costs 155 USD, 520-155x2=210, those Novatec hubs and pillar spokes value isn't 210 USD.
    Well, it is pretty close
    (NOVATEC D711SB D712SB DISC HUBS MTB 415g SIUPER LIGHT SHIMANO SRAM WHITE on eBay!)

Add the price of the spokes and nipples and you are pretty close to the $210 USD difference. I am not saying that the hubs are the greatest, but $520 USD for the wheelset seems to be a good deal for what you get.

I do think most in this thread though have gone the way of just buying the rims and building up with a better set of hubs and lighter Sapim CX-ray or DT revolution spokes. This is the route I am looking into with some AC hubs. Just not sure I will see that big of a difference in this versus my current set of AC 29er tubeless wheels at 1591g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder75 View Post
    Well, it is pretty close
    (NOVATEC D711SB D712SB DISC HUBS MTB 415g SIUPER LIGHT SHIMANO SRAM WHITE on eBay!)

Add the price of the spokes and nipples and you are pretty close to the $210 USD difference. I am not saying that the hubs are the greatest, but $520 USD for the wheelset seems to be a good deal for what you get.

I do think most in this thread though have gone the way of just buying the rims and building up with a better set of hubs and lighter Sapim CX-ray or DT revolution spokes. This is the route I am looking into with some AC hubs. Just not sure I will see that big of a difference in this versus my current set of AC 29er tubeless wheels at 1591g.
    "Just not sure I will see that big of a difference in this versus my current set of AC 29er tubeless wheels at 1591g"

Weight wise I think you are right...however these rims are wide..not sure how wide your current rims are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryder75 View Post
    Well, it is pretty close

Not to mention the cost of labor to build the wheel. $50-$70 is the goin' rate. Those hubs can't be any worse than XT hubs.
    I think, if the rims are as good as people are saying, that $500 for just the rims would be a good price.

mtbr member
    I don't have any problem with the Novatec 711/712 hubs, those are actually the hubs I'm most interested in, theres nothing better for the same price. But I Can buy them from a real shop for 90€ (about 120 USD), plus some Sapim Laser and al nipples for about 50€ (about 65 USD). Ok, the difference isn't big, but point is it could be a better deal. And adding customs charges, that difference raises.

mtbr member
    I haven't seen any talk about rider weight limits. Is there any?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't have any problem with the Novatec 711/712 hubs, those are actually the hubs I'm most interested in, theres nothing better for the same price. But I Can buy them from a real shop for 90€ (about 120 USD), plus some Sapim Laser and al nipples for about 50€ (about 65 USD). Ok, the difference isn't big, but point is it could be a better deal. And adding customs charges, that difference raises.
    And if you don't build them yourself, add another $120, more if you want them built by a reputable builder. That $520 ends up being a pretty good deal.

It's going to be hard to convince anyone on this thread that the $520 price tag for these rims, built into a full wheelset, is a bad deal. Like I said, if the rims are as good as people are saying, $520 for just 2 rims is a great deal compared to $1600 for ENVE rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Does anyone know what rim these guys are using?

Carvers/Chris King 29er Carbon wheelsets $1390 w/free shipping - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

On the bikeempowerment.com website they are selling the rim only for $220/each, but the complete wheelset is $1400, which seems like a steep markup relative to the price of the parts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCyclist View Post
    Does anyone know what rim these guys are using?

Carvers/Chris King 29er Carbon wheelsets $1390 w/free shipping - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

On the bikeempowerment.com website they are selling the rim only for $220/each, but the complete wheelset is $1400, which seems like a steep markup relative to the price of the parts.
    The rims look the same as the Chinese ones. If the rims are $220, that price for the complete set is insane. And they're heavy to boot, 1769g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    And if you don't build them yourself, add another $120, more if you want them built by a reputable builder. That $520 ends up being a pretty good deal.

It's going to be hard to convince anyone on this thread that the $520 price tag for these rims, built into a full wheelset, is a bad deal. Like I said, if the rims are as good as people are saying, $520 for just 2 rims is a great deal compared to $1600 for ENVE rims.
    Those $120 may be how much you need to someone not related to selling the parts builds the wheel, usually when a store sells the wheel parts, the price added to the cost of the parts alone is almost nothing.

I also think $520 for a carbon rim wheelset is an excellent price no matter what, but $310 for a pair of carbon rims is a better deal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Those $120 may be how much you need to someone not related to selling the parts builds the wheel, usually when a store sells the wheel parts, the price added to the cost of the parts alone is almost nothing.
    What you said here makes no sense.

There isn't a shop around that will sell the parts for a wheel and build them for free. They may give you a discount, but they will still charge for the build. Like I said, here in the US, that going rate is around $50-$70 a wheel. $50, for a discount for buying the parts. Some charge more than$70 to build a wheel

I also think $520 for a carbon rim wheelset is an excellent price no matter what, but $310 for a pair of carbon rims is a better deal.
    Your point earlier is that the $520 seemed to be too much, and you thought a better deal should be made available. Another $210 for hubs, spokes, nipples and labor for the build is just as good a deal.
    You need to stop arguing this point. You are either not making sense, or you are contradicting yourself.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi View Post
    I never thought to ask. But i only weigh 155, so if they cant handle my weight, they oughtn't be made. As wide as the rims are, and advertised for AM use, i imagine there is no weight limit. Send them an email if you're concerned about it.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My guess on no weight limit is because it depends on the spokes. I would reference other complete carbon wheel builds to get an idea and modify spoke choice to suit your own weight.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    The rims look the same as the Chinese ones. If the rims are $220, that price for the complete set is insane. And they're heavy to boot, 1769g.
    I absolutely agree, I certainly didn't feel "empowered" to buy a pair :-) I would really love to try a prebuilt wheelset from Light-bicycle, but the price of failure if a front rim fails is just too much of a risk for me. Maybe I'll just get a set and ride the rear only for a year and if that holds up ok, then start using the front also.

the train keeps rollin
    I emailed them about rider weight limit on the 29er wide rim, Nancy said 95kg, but they could lay the rims up for heavier riders. She recommended I get 420g rims, not sure if they just pick through their lots looking for heavier rims, or actually lay them up by customer request. I asked if they could do 440g wide rims for a Big Beautiful Rider. I'm waiting to hear back.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    My guess on no weight limit is because it depends on the spokes. I would reference other complete carbon wheel builds to get an idea and modify spoke choice to suit your own weight.
    I'm not convinced spokes can offset a weak rim, in other words, if a rim is lacking structural strength no spoke will build a great wheel, so when I build a wheel I always start with the rim. The spokes I'm using for my wheels have only been Sapim CX Rays for the last few years, on my road bike, 26er and 29er MTB and and apart from another cycling falling with his bar into my wheel or getting a thick branch in the wheel I haven't broken any spokes.

Considering 400 grams for a carbon fiber rim is not super light I think it will probably take the same kind of abuse as a 400 gram aluminium rim would take so I ordered a set of rims. Interested to see how these compare to the Arch 29 and American Classic 29er rim I've laced with CX rays as well.

mtbr member
    If I were buying a wheelset at this moment, it would be this $520 one or a custom one with the same 711/712 Novatec hubs, Sapim Laser, al nipples and FRM 333 29er rims, from this shop, where the build costs, as I said, is almost nothing, and together with the hubs, spokes and nipples cost is less than $210.
    As I weigh only 65 kg (143 lbs) and I'm more interested on low weight than stiffness, and also theres no customs charges on delivers within the European Union, the last option would win.
    What is a good deal to someone may not be it for someone else, just as what makes sense to someone may not make sense for someone else.

Anyway, if in the future a truly lighter carbon rim became available, obviously less stiff and with a lighter rider weight limit, then I wouldn't mind how slightly better the deal could be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    I emailed them about rider weight limit on the 29er wide rim, Nancy said 95kg, but they could lay the rims up for heavier riders. She recommended I get 420g rims, not sure if they just pick through their lots looking for heavier rims, or actually lay them up by customer request. I asked if they could do 440g wide rims for a Big Beautiful Rider. I'm waiting to hear back.
    Snowdrifter, in what weight category are you punching?

mtbr member

duh

never mind
    Last edited by freebiker; 02-03-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: dork

Formerly of Kent
    Do any of these companies (Rotaz, Novatec, etc) make a light 15mm hub?

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    Snowdrifter, in what weight category are you punching?
    110kg dressed for singletrack battle. She recommended 420g rims at my weight.
    beaver hunt

mtbr member
    Thanks, good to see they can beef the rim up a bit, let us know how they hold up for you. I'll probably be fine with the standard ones at 88kg and likely dropping a few for race season, can't wait for the rims to arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Tire when on just like on my old Stan's flow rims...........
    DeeZee,
    Did you build the wheels with 240s hubs front and rear?
    If so, do you know what length the spokes were?

Thanks,
    Matt

get down!
    Thinking about getting the regular 29er mountain bike rims for a cross bike of mine. Do you guys think the rims would be too wide for 35-40 cross tires?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Where can I pick up a set of these rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    EBay or light-bicycle.com
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava View Post
    Where can I pick up a set of these rims?
    the same place the other guy who asked the same question in this thread can.

the link provided in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    just go straight to their website light bicycle-carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike When I ordered a week or so ago, they were still working on the website ordering process, but you just send Nancy an email and she'll take care of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

What the Crap?!

rim strip question

those using the rhythm rimstip was it on the AM rim or the normal rim? ...hoping for the AM
    Left blank on request

mtbr member
    May 2006
    or, if you're in san diego and don't mind paying a slight premium to have a USA dealer. www.bikeempowerment.com

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by theHIP View Post
    those using the rhythm rimstip was it on the AM rim or the normal rim? ...hoping for the AM
    AM rim. I last inflated the tire 6 days ago. No sealant. Tire still has air in it. Not much...but still has pressure.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Got A Lust for Life...
    That is weird. The two sets we have are 440g per rim. New versions lighter?

High Alpine Adventure
    Look who's here... been waiting for you to show up!

Thinkin' about having Dan do me a set of these for the Racer-X. See if they are a bit stiffer than the Stans Arches. I wouldn't think there are any weight restictions, but one never knows about the "weight of a bag of tea" in China.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    methinks this whole asian carbon rim market is gonna go exponential in the next few months....
    opinions ? ....

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfootDenny View Post
    methinks this whole asian carbon rim market is gonna go exponential in the next few months....
    opinions ? ....
    There is no doubt in my mind. I saw it coming a year and a half ago with the road rims. I was simply waiting...and waiting...and waiting...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    As long as they hold up! For the price I'm skeptical but only some riding will tell My set should be here in a few days...

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    As long as they hold up! For the price I'm skeptical but only some riding will tell My set should be here in a few days...
    I know dozens of people who ride them on the road no problem.

Hell, I know a guy who has a business where he does nothing but import dozens of these rims, and build them up for people in any configuration they might desire.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Here's hoping they work out I'm a natural skeptic. Let's say, I expect them to work but won't be heart broken if they don't. For the price, logic says they can NOT be as good as the high end rims but the reports have all been really good

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Here's hoping they work out I'm a natural skeptic. Let's say, I expect them to work but won't be heart broken if they don't. For the price, logic says they can NOT be as good as the high end rims but the reports have all been really good
    You may not be heartbroken if they don't work out, but you might be broken. I remember some of the pictures when the 1st gen Mavic R-Sys wheels were failing. Not pretty.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Any wheel can leave you that way. Forks break. Frames break. Stems break. Bars break. Not too worried about that. It'll happen someday to even the most engineered parts of my bike...

mtbr member
    I'm waiting on my set too... I asked to have them drilled for internal nipples, just to be on the safe side

(also, I couldnt choose nipple color :P )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good thread. Going to follow this and hopefully see some more wheel builds. The budget builder in me loves stuff like this. Subscribed. Keep them coming. Really diggin' the matte carbon finish.

What the Crap?!

super excited

i am super excited about the prospect of easy tubeless with this rim!

i too have been waiting for this to move from road to 29er width rims. i thought about trying some of the road version last year but didn't want that narrow profile. this seems perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    AM rim. I last inflated the tire 6 days ago. No sealant. Tire still has air in it. Not much...but still has pressure.
    Left blank on request

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    I'm waiting on my set too... I asked to have them drilled for internal nipples, just to be on the safe side

Sounds like a good idea!

mtbr member
    May 2005

:P )

Do they charge extra for this option ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Is it possible to build these rims with internal nipples?

mtbr member
    Was tinking of building up a set of wheels using stan's new 3.30Ti hubs but they don't sell them separate . Looking at building a race set of wheels, don't like AC rear hubs. Light-bikes list there 29er wheelset at 1460g but I assume that is 28 hole rims and I'm sure they averave around 1500g that they ship to you.

mtbr member
    Was tinking of building up a set of wheels using stan's new 3.30Ti hubs but they don't sell them separate .
    My thoughts exactly. Wish they would start selling them.

I'm rolling the dice on a set of these. I'm not hard on freehubs, so hopefully all will turn out well.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for those who have built up the AM rims, what length nipples did you use? 12, 14, or 16?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Wish they would start selling them.

I'm rolling the dice on a set of these. I'm not hard on freehubs, so hopefully all will turn out well.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    I was going to do this as well but their hub options or limited.
    I need a 20mm front and a 12x142mm rear. Anyone know if there is a company of similar quality/price out there.
    I wouldn't mind the up to $250 price range fora set of hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone tried the 26in version? Any idea on tubeless support on the 26in version?
    Just Ride!