Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25 View Post
    It is what they call the AM rim. I do not know what the other rim bead looks like.
    Did you guy weigh the rims and wheels after you'd built them up? What spokes and hubs did you use? Any problems with th wheel builds?

How are they holding up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Ah. The "XC" rims definitely do not appear to have a "UST" profile.

The "AM" rims do, though.
    The AM rim might look closer than the XC rim to UST, but neither rim has a UST profile.

The bead shelf diameter is the most critical dimension that plays a role in tubeless compatibility, but this is not shown in either drawing.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Light Bicycle XC 29 Rims with what they told me was the 'old' slightly beefier lay-up (415g). I should add, that I used nylon strapping tape for rim strip (my usual), and got them running tubeless without any problem.
    Tires
    F: Specialized S-works Ground Control 29x2.1
    R: Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2
    American Classic hubs.
    F: 32 hole, QR15
    R: 32 hole, 142x12
    Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray, 3x, all 292mm
    Didnt weigh after build with Sapims. The math says high 1400's.
    Im 210lbs, theyre on my Niner Rip9. I gave them another bashing the other night and all is still well!

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Do you mean the Park tensiometer? or 2.0mm on the DT Swiss meter?

Also, the reading is meaningless without the spoke gauge in either case.
    You are right. Park. DT Competition. Brass nips.

Would you have built them differently?
    I am immune to your disdain.

transmitter~receiver
    Would you have built them differently?
    I probably would have taken the tension a bit higher.
    20 on the Park TM-1 = 94 kgf if you're using the 2.0/1.8 Comps
    I'd probably go to 21.5-22.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

vwn8 can you confirm an ERD of 603mm

I guess I could back it out of for 292mm spokes. Just too lazy. I'm considering the XC rims for a build, if I an get some hubs cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    subscribed

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I think our "argument" was kind of silly. In my original statement, I was responding to what tension should be used, and I mentioned I would use a normal to slightly high tension of 120-125 kgf. But I can see how you took it as relating tension and wheel stiffness. Which I was, and generally, I was wrong on that aspect.
    10-4

I have seen wheel manufacturers state that the high tensions they allow make for a stiffer wheel (Koolstof for one).
    I have also seen this error made by reps for manufacturers. unfortunate...

I did find a site with various tests and theories that state that spoke tension does play a role in wheel stiffness. Great wheel test Part 3 Stiffness | Roues Artisanales Their data asserts that "high tensioned spokes...delay the moment when the wheel loses all its stiffness." If I'm understanding them correctly, they're saying that the higher tension doesn't necessarily add stiffness, just keeps it from losing stiffness under load (i.e., keeps the side being de-tensioned under load from going slack, causing the loss in stiffness).
    That's why the qualification, "as long as no spokes go slack" is usually applied to the statement that stiffness is not affected by tension.
    They are clear in separating the two, but I think the way that they tied them together can contribute to confusion.
    Normal bike wheels are not designed to get to the point of slack spokes. They become very unstable and often buckle under that condition.

Brandt does, though, state that spoke thickness plays a part in the stiffness of the wheel.
    Spoke gauge does affect stiffness because it affects the elasticity of the spokes.

I think, though, that we were more in agreement overall than not. 180kgf is too high to build a wheel, and normal tension in the 120 kgf range should be fine.
    agreed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just purchased a set of the Light bicycle 29er AM rims (155 each). I put them on the scale. 380 Grams. They look identical to my Specialized Carbon Roval SL rims. I'm lacing them to Chris King hubs. I'm curious to see how they compare.

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantbeataktm View Post
    I just purchased a set of the Light bicycle 29er AM rims (155 each). I put them on the scale. 380 Grams. They look identical to my Specialized Carbon Roval SL rims. I'm lacing them to Chris King hubs. I'm curious to see how they compare.
    Whoa, that's light. And quite a difference from indyfab's 440g.

Let us know how they do! I'm still waiting on mine.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Interesting weight difference, what kind of finish did you get?

mtbr member
    Can you get a picture of the 2 next to each other?

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote "Spoke gauge does affect stiffness because it affects the elasticity of the spokes."
    I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your posts.
    Any idea though why the wheels in Paris Roubaix supposedly are laced at a low tension?
    Probably the hardest stressed wheels in racing and I'm sure the spokes would almost go slack on the cobbles. (1 day wheels until the next year).

mtbr member
    How long did they take to arrive? Are you setting them up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Would love to see pictures of some of the wheel builds you guys have done.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Whoa, that's light. And quite a difference from indyfab's 440g.

Let us know how they do! I'm still waiting on mine.
    No kidding. That is cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi View Post
    Quote "Spoke gauge does affect stiffness because it affects the elasticity of the spokes."
    Any idea though why the wheels in Paris Roubaix supposedly are laced at a low tension?
    Probably the hardest stressed wheels in racing and I'm sure the spokes would almost go slack on the cobbles. (1 day wheels until the next year).
    Hmm, never heard of that... but I speculate it might be something like this:

I always got the impression that wheels with higher spoke tension seems to transmit (or cause) more high-frequency vibrations, giving you the "feeling" that you're hitting objects harder. This can be wrongly interpreted as a stiffer wheel. For the cobblestones of Paris Roubaix, this kind of vibration or resonance is highly unwanted, and as wheel longevity is not that important, they might just lower tension.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    please let us know how these wheels are doing. I have a set of the carbon Rovals on order, scheduled to ship late Feb and am tempted to cancel that order and build up a set of these to try instead.
    Do you know the weight of your wheels?
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

transmitter~receiver
    I've never heard that either and I don't believe it. There are a lot of things that "supposedly" happen that don't make any sense.
    One explanation could be that teams tend to use higher spoke counts on Roubaix wheels, which drives down the required tension, but that's not what it sounds like you said at all.
    lol - they are one day wheels... no next year about it.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Our test set was having a bit of trouble tubeless so I threw a Bontrager Rythm rim strip on the 28 hole rim we have. It fit perfectly. I see no reason the rims would be bombproof tubeless with that strip.

mtbr member
    Our test set was having a bit of trouble tubeless so I threw a Bontrager Rythm rim strip on the 28 hole rim we have. It fit perfectly. I see no reason the rims would be bombproof tubeless with that strip.
    Did it burp in the corners? Or lose air?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    Did it burp in the corners? Or lose air?
    No idea. Our "tester" isn't really saying much about it. He seems to not want to share information and perception about them. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a "tester."

I just let one RIP
    No idea. Our "tester" isn't really saying much about it. He seems to not want to share information and perception about them. Kind of defeats the purpose of being a "tester."
    If you can manage to get some details out of your "tester," we'd appreciate it! What tires, what pressures? Sounds like you had it initially sealed? problem was when riding?

I'm hoping to just be able to use just some of Stan's 25mm yellow tape rather than having to use a strip.

Thanks!
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I volunteer to be a tester. I will talk till you tell me to shut up. email, fax, text messages. Feedback I will give you feedback....

Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I will post pictures once they are built. I got the matte finish. She sent them out on a Friday, and i recieved them the following Wednesday. Full replacement warranty is good for a year.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast