Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    i would hate to reiterate the i too would appreciate a relevant/unanswered series of questions to be answered...silly me..
    What, you think everyone is holding out on you? The questions haven't been answered because there are no answers to give. If you don't want to be a tester, be patient and wait in line. Its going to be awhile before there are any substantial reviews. I will be comparing these back to back with a set of Crest, so there's your teaser.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    What, you think everyone is holding out on you? The questions haven't been answered because there are no answers to give. If you don't want to be a tester, be patient and wait in line. Its going to be awhile before there are any substantial reviews. I will be comparing these back to back with a set of Crest, so there's your teaser.
    Look, there are members that have these wheels on their dang bike right now. They have ridden with them. Nearly every request that Scotto and I have can be answered w/o even riding the bike.

Having said that, I will also appreciate your future write up. Thx for testing these puppies out..

Now get out there

ballbuster
    Daddy want.

Yeah, a nice wide rim that can take some pounding, but still come in around 400g? That is nuts. Granted, they are twice as much as the rims I normally buy, but they seem to be way tougher as well, and 75g lighter.

I'm just curious as to what happens during a failure... not saying the rim will fail because they are junk or anything. Any rim can fail if you side load them too much, or hit something way too hard at speed.

It will be a while before I can come up with cash to get a set, so that will allow for more feedback before I jump on anything.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-17-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Supersonic Garfield
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Daddy want.

Yeah, a nice wide rim that can take some pounding, but still come in around 400g? That is nuts. Granted, they are twice as much as the rims I normally buy, but they seem to be way tougher as well, and 75g lighter.

I'm just curious as to what happens during a failure... not saying the rim will fail because they are junk or anything. Any rim can fail if you side load them too much, or hit something way too hard at speed.

It will be a while before I can come up with cash to get a set, so that will allow for more feedback before I jump on anything.
    here is a good site to check out carbon failures

Busted Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post

Busted Carbon
    Yeah, great site. Spend hours and hours on all the broken carbon stuff before I ordered my carbon road bike and my Tallboy CF. What can be made can be broken, whether it's carbon, aluminium, brick, steel, wood, etc. Most of the images I saw on that site are btw a result of a crash, and if I hit a car/tree head on, I'm not too worried how the bike comes out after the crash, more hoping my head and spine won't be the parts which absorb the most energy..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe the only failure will be on rocks garden. A big hits will probably knock-off the lip and crush it a lot. That type of hit will for sure dents any rim... But I measure the thickness of the inside wall, the wall that hold the tension of the spoke, there's +3mm thick carbon ring. That is 3 time the thickness of a Crest. I believe that "ring" can hold a tremendous force in torsional direction. Warping that rim seem to me impossible, but maybe it's possible to explode them in a big crash. Will see with time!
    mat g

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    With "crash replacement" of a carbon roval rim at 250, all I hope for these is that they are somewhat close in weight and dimensions. The rovals are good wheels, but to get that light weight you pay some durability tax!

Wheel failure on the carbon rovals is not catastrophic, the bead breaks radially from a hard rim strike and the 2 failures I have seen didn't even lose air hoursof riding later.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will test my wheels like this:

sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/index.htm

And for your enjoyment, I have buy a 24 hole one to put around a dirty flea (tuned to 272g). But not this week, i'm to busy and all my rims are not here.
    mat g

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    So I have this obsession with wheels. Right now one of my bikes has a set of I9/Flow wheels and it's a little sad that it doesn't get the same carbon fiber rim love that my other ENVE-equipped bikes have. Has anyone tried re-lacing a set of the I9 Enduro wheels with the slightly larger ERD of the Light Bicycles AM rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I have a fair amount of experience with composites outside of the cycling industry. I'm still not willing to assume the risk of riding a carbon mtb frame, more for financial reasons than safety. As far as these rims go, my biggest concern is rim strikes on rocks that would crack the lip of the rim. Catestrophic failure that would cause series bodily harm, that is of little concern and the risk is on par with an aluminum rim failure.

Cracks on composite parts are usually pronounced, so an eye for detail and regular visual inspections go a long way.

I would be more concerned with a bar failure (carbon or alloy) than a carbon rim failure.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Spoke gauge options with carbon rim?

so...can we run even thinner gauge spokes when using such a rigid carbon rim vs alum rim?? i am just wondering if that is another benefit.

on my last wheel build, i went with a thicker gauge spoke on the drive side (rear). i wonder if that would even be necessary on a carbon rim..

Got A Lust for Life...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    So I have this obsession with wheels. Right now one of my bikes has a set of I9/Flow wheels and it's a little sad that it doesn't get the same carbon fiber rim love that my other ENVE-equipped bikes have. Has anyone tried re-lacing a set of the I9 Enduro wheels with the slightly larger ERD of the Light Bicycles AM rims?
    ERD is 600 for the Flows. 603 for these rims. That might be too far off. I have Enduro/Pacenti TL28s. 1mm should be fine if I convert.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Indy, the ERD on the rims I got is actually closer to the 601-602mm range. Did you measure the rims you are testing or are you going off the rim spec?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Hell, I know a guy who has a business where he does nothing but import dozens of these rims, and build them up for people in any configuration they might desire.
    who is this guy, got a link? different from redbarn?

just finished powering thru 17 pages. i thought for sure i had a Crest wheelset in my future, but that is now in question. fortunately, this particular future lies on the far side of summer, so there's plenty of time for you guys to prove these rims. thanks in advance for sharing your stories and safe riding!
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just got this from Industry Nine:

We'll build on any 32 hole rim that utilizes external nipples, and by the look of the rim on the link you'd be good… The ERD is close enough to a Stan's Flow that we probably wouldn't have to make custom spokes for it and that would keep the price a bit lower. We couldn't take responsibility for any rim warranty issues and we'd let you know if we had a QC issue with the rim(s) before we finished the product. If you do get the rims and want to have us build you something up, drop us a call to request a RA number to get the ball rolling.

Now do I want to fork over the money? That would be some wheel build I bet.
    RIDE MF RIDE,
    Scotto

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Just mailed mine off today to get built.

Before I shipped them,, I took them out and laid them on the kitchen table and they were FLAT! I could see a miniscule bit of light here and there but I couldn't even slide a piece of paper under them.
    Is your kitchen table perfectly flat? I highly doubt it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post

We'll build on any 32 hole rim that utilizes external nipples, and by the look of the rim on the link you'd be good… The ERD is close enough to a Stan's Flow that we probably wouldn't have to make custom spokes for it and that would keep the price a bit lower. We couldn't take responsibility for any rim warranty issues and we'd let you know if we had a QC issue with the rim(s) before we finished the product. If you do get the rims and want to have us build you something up, drop us a call to request a RA number to get the ball rolling.

This is what I am doing. I am having the rims shipped directly to I9 with an RA # and then they will ship them to my LBS where they will be installed on my new RDO. Red hubs and red spokes on a black RDO with a Black carbon lefty should look fast as #*!*. If they do fail I will relace them to some stans hoops. Its a $300 gamble that I feel will payoff.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cracks on composite parts are usually pronounced, so an eye for detail and regular visual inspections go a long way.
    no need to inspect. when you get a rim strike and one of these rims (have been present for 2 roval rim breaks) the sound is a sickening pop. wheel stays true and holds air, but it is for sure structurally compromised after that!
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post

So you mean they will build these with their own aluminum spokes? Did I hear correctly?
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    So you mean they will build these with their own aluminum spokes? Did I hear correctly?
    Yes they deduct the cost of the stans rims from the price. So $1000 plus the $350 for the carbon rims. Not bad considering what you get and even if they do fail for another $150 you can rebuild them with some stans hoops and the spoke lengths will be fine.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
    Is your kitchen table perfectly flat? I highly doubt it...
    Both rims and my table are warped exactly the same? I highly doubt it...

meh
    man, reading through all this is enough to make me want to build up a set, without really any substantial info presented here, ha
    anxiously awaiting some reports

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My wheels ended up at 1550gr with AC 15mm/142x12 and DT Comp spokes, AL nipples. The wider 29 rims.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

ballbuster

Meh...

Busted Carbon

Seen it. Most of those failures are running into things. The wheel failures are mostly Mavic carbon spoke system wheels, which had major design issues, and were recalled.

I've had a couple of carbon failures in my time, but mostly with older carbon stuff that was never that great to begin with, or things that were obviously my fault.

I know when carbon fails, it tends to explode while Aluminum bends (and can sometimes be bent back to limp home... hence, my taco'ed wheel vid). I'm just wondering at what comparative thresholds this happens.

I don't live in fear of carbon.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I did a test on hoops tonignt. I put a 25 pounds radialy hold by a spoke. 3 rims tested. Big numbers!

Specialized oem 450sl aluminum(dt made) (490g) 0.170" or 4.3mm.
    Specialized Roval carbon (362g) 0.130" or 3.3mm.
    Chinese AM (392g) 0.110" or 2.8mm.

Still waiting for spokes, my next test will be on complete wheels and lateraly.
    mat g

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mat g View Post
    I did a test on hoops tonignt. I put a 25 pounds radialy hold by a spoke. 3 rims tested. Big numbers!

That's interesting.

I live to bike
    Just built the rear wheel up. Wider carbon rim with hope hub, dt super comp spoke. Built up very easily, with incredibly even tension on the drive side. Had it built with an average tension about 120 kgf, then checked the centering and realized it was slightly off. Recentered with just a quarter turn or so on driveside, and all good. Tension ended up a little higher at about 130 kgf, but all spokes on the drive side are within 2.5% ! of average. (I was taught that under 10% difference from average is acceptable.)

Hopefully, the easy build is indicative of the quality of the rim. Guess we'll find out when I ride it!
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Good news Jwiffle. Yes, an easy build is at least an indicator that the rim came out of the mold straight. I've got mine laced, but not tensioned yet. I used different nipples than usual and didn't realize they are the bigger hex size and I don't have a damn wrench for them. This is my luck.

AM rims, Circus monkey HDW2 hubs, Sapim Lasers, Sapim alloy nipples came out at 691g front, 818g rear, for a total of 1509g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Just built the rear wheel up. Wider carbon rim with hope hub, dt super comp spoke. Built up very easily, with incredibly even tension on the drive side. Had it built with an average tension about 120 kgf, then checked the centering and realized it was slightly off. Recentered with just a quarter turn or so on driveside, and all good. Tension ended up a little higher at about 130 kgf, but all spokes on the drive side are within 2.5% ! of average. (I was taught that under 10% difference from average is acceptable.)

Hopefully, the easy build is indicative of the quality of the rim. Guess we'll find out when I ride it!
    Pics please. I'm sorry to keep beating this drum.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for posting up the I9 information. That saves me a call to them to find out if this would work. Sounds like I'm going to be ordering a pair of these rims in the not-too-distant-future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I9 spokes and carbon rims?? I've wondered how that would turn out if done. Sounds like an extremely rigid wheel...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    I9 spokes and carbon rims?? I've wondered how that would turn out if done. Sounds like an extremely rigid wheel...
    Yeah. Maybe too stiff. Great for a longer travel bike- the suspension does all the absorbing, and the wheels just track straight, even under load.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    test results I've seen (and posted here somewhere) show that I9 spokes are actually relatively elastic. spokes are just one factor, but you seem to suggest that their spokes are stiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I don't have any test figures handy...but I had a set of I9's once and they were much stiffer compared to the same-weight wheelset that they replaced. Stan's Olympic/steel spokes/CK hubs to the I9 Ultralites/355 rim, both 26", 32 spoke. I guess the rim difference had something to do with it but I always assumed it was the spokes, maybe the spokes just looked beefier...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Ok, tonight, I did the same test but lateraly...

The 25 pounds weight was to heavy, I put 10 pounds on each rims:

Specialized oem 450sl : 0.480" or 12mm
    Specialized Roval carbon: 0.240" or 6mm
    Chinese AM: 0.175" or 4.5mm.

Seems that chinese rim are way stiffer than ordinary alloy rim...in both direction. That will be uncomfortable for my HT!

Pics:
    img689.imageshack.us/img689/6861/001mkq.jpg
    mat g

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    My wheels ended up at 1550gr with AC 15mm/142x12 and DT Comp spokes, AL nipples. The wider 29 rims.
    that's just about the setup i have spinning around in my head, but DT revo instead of comp....
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Got A Lust for Life...
    [QUOTE=meltingfeather;9016849]test results I've seen (and posted here somewhere) show that I9 spokes are actually relatively elastic. spokes are just one factor, but you seem to suggest that their spokes are stiff. [/QUOTE

What makes them so stiff? It isn't the tension.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Indy, the ERD on the rims I got is actually closer to the 601-602mm range. Did you measure the rims you are testing or are you going off the rim spec?
    Measured. Twice. And measured by another guy.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Is the ERD effected by the fact that the inner part of the rim where the nipple will seat is thicker on these rims than normal alloy rims? It looks to be closer to 3mm of material versus 1-2mm on an alloy rim. These rims probably use the same length spokes as a 603mm ERD rim but the extra material makes the measurement different, correct?

Sup
    funny thing is these look just like my carbon rovals once I got rid of my ugly red stickers
    my rims came in at 375 grams so these look like a steal

Sj
    p.s getting the stickers off a carbon roval is not worth your time
    I am slow therefore I am

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Is the ERD effected by the fact that the inner part of the rim where the nipple will seat is thicker on these rims than normal alloy rims? It looks to be closer to 3mm of material versus 1-2mm on an alloy rim. These rims probably use the same length spokes as a 603mm ERD rim but the extra material makes the measurement different, correct?
    ERD is from the inner nipple seat. If you measure correctly that wall thickness doesn't even come into play.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Bro Mountainbiker
    hope to get an official erd by tomorrow. I would like to order and build up before a race on the 4th
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    funny thing is these look just like my carbon rovals once I got rid of my ugly red stickers
    Great info, thanks.

With the few measurements from people that have received their new AM rim, its almost sounding like the UD finish is in the 400g range and the 3k finish is lower in the 385g range.

Living the Dream
    Feb 2004

Don't know if this has been asked or discussed

so please bear with me. I could not find anything in this thread or the light bicycle website that mentions impact resistance. This is my main fear and something that would lead me to easton wheels unless I knew that they were as durable and as eastons/enves and not prone to catastrophic failure. Has anyone seen any literature or responses from the company that speak to the products durability.

Thanks!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    hope to get an official erd by tomorrow. I would like to order and build up before a race on the 4th
    I used the erd Nancy at light-bicycle gave me: 602 and the wheels built up fine. In fact, if the erd was 603 as some have mentioned, it wouldn't even have required different spokes in my case.

(This is for the wider rim, I didn't ask if the standard rim had a different erd).
    Get Out! Have Fun!

I live to bike
    Good news Jwiffle. Yes, an easy build is at least an indicator that the rim came out of the mold straight. I've got mine laced, but not tensioned yet. I used different nipples than usual and didn't realize they are the bigger hex size and I don't have a damn wrench for them. This is my luck.

AM rims, Circus monkey HDW2 hubs, Sapim Lasers, Sapim alloy nipples came out at 691g front, 818g rear, for a total of 1509g.
    Many, that's light! I thought mine came in pretty light at 770g and 900g, front and rear respectively. The hope hubs are not the very lightest, but they aren't tanks, either.

Anyway, for tehschkott, a couple pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dsc_0402-800x600-.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dsc_0403-800x600-.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dsc_0404-600x800-.jpg  

Get Out! Have Fun!

Supersonic Garfield
    Jwiffle. Great shots. Which finish is this?

I live to bike
    12k, matte
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member

Sj
    I was thinking that too. The Roval Control SL carbon wheel red colour scheme was one of the reasons I wasn't very enthusiastic about getting some, that and the cost of course.

ENVE carbon rims look nice. If you're paying full price for them it's extremely hard to justify though. A single ENVE 29er XC Clincher rim is £750 GBP ($1188 USD approx at today's exchange rate). You could buy almost sixteen light-bicycle.com 29er carbon rims for the same money as a pair of ENVE 29er XC carbon rims at UK prices.

Singletrack Magazine | PressCamp 2011: Enve Rims

I've ordered a pair of the standard width light-bicycle.com 29er rims in 3k carbon with a matte finish as a test. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

mtbr member
    Jwiffle posted a picture showing the three different carbon finishes here:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

UD carbon is the plainest looking one. It's just black and is quite understated but might look better with a gloss finish.

3k carbon is the small weave pattern that I went for on my rims. This is the style that looks just like a Roval Control SL rim.

12k carbon is the wider weaved pattern that is in the pictures above.

Supersonic Garfield
    Thanks!

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have flows, what is the rim weight on flows?
    anyone know?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    I have flows, what is the rim weight on flows?
    anyone know?
    Seriously?

ZTR Flow 29" - 32 Hole Black
    "Do not touch the trim"

meh
    I know this is the 29er forum, but seems to be the official thread for these rims...They will be selling the wider version of the 26" rims towards the end of the month per Nancy at light-bicycle for anyone interested.

Ballstein Models
    I have a set on the way. 29er Wide 12k Matte 420g version for my fat ass. Will be laced to Kings with DT Swiss Comps. 10 days to ship. Will post the build and ride feedback.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    sorry I was in a hurry and couldn't find it on their website.

so save about 125 grams per wheel....hmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Many, that's light! I thought mine came in pretty light at 770g and 900g, front and rear respectively. The hope hubs are not the very lightest, but they aren't tanks, either.

Anyway, for tehschkott, a couple pics:
    Kick. Ass. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok, tonight, I did the same test but lateraly...

The 25 pounds weight was to heavy, I put 10 pounds on each rims:

Specialized oem 450sl : 0.480" or 12mm
    Specialized Roval carbon: 0.240" or 6mm
    Chinese AM: 0.175" or 4.5mm.

Seems that chinese rim are way stiffer than ordinary alloy rim...in both direction. That will be uncomfortable for my HT!

Pics:
    Thank you very much for that!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A few pics

08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Thank you very much for that!
    I like to test stuff with real numbers (scientific methods). I don't like to get a feeling because it's to subjective. Once my wheels will be mounted, I will try to say (with my feeling!) witch one is stiffer than the other... But my mind will be influenced!
    mat g

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    I know this is the 29er forum, but seems to be the official thread for these rims...They will be selling the wider version of the 26" rims towards the end of the month per Nancy at light-bicycle for anyone interested.
    Thanks for the heads up. I am sure other 26ers are watching this forum.
    Just Ride!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I used the erd Nancy at light-bicycle gave me: 602 and the wheels built up fine. In fact, if the erd was 603 as some have mentioned, it wouldn't even have required different spokes in my case.

(This is for the wider rim, I didn't ask if the standard rim had a different erd).

Hmm... They actually told me 603 over live chat yesterday night.
    Not like it would make much a difference but still strange.

mtbr member
    I like to test stuff with real numbers (scientific methods). I don't like to get a feeling because it's to subjective. Once my wheels will be mounted, I will try to say (with my feeling!) witch one is stiffer than the other... But my mind will be influenced!
    My thoughts exactly. Most performance gains associated with new gear are about 95% psychological. You don't happen to have a Crest laying around to throw in your lateral load test fixture?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Most performance gains associated with new gear are about 95% psychological. You don't happen to have a Crest laying around to throw in your lateral load test fixture?
    I don't know if my LBS are agree to let me bend one of his crest rim!
    mat g

mtbr member
    Oh, I do have an Arch I could try it on if I can find a 10lb mass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Oh, I do have an Arch I could try it on if I can find a 10lb mass.
    If you want to compare with my numbers, be sure half of the rim is fully press to your table. That's why I put a large piece of wood and a big tool box on it.

mat g

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, a 26'er here that has been watching this thread closely. I'd love to try a wide version 26" if it will work well with a tubeless-ready tire, and Stan's yellow tape & fluid. Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I could'nt resist to do a real nice matching copy!

mat g

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody happen to know if these are an exact replica (dimension wise) of a certain brand?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The scientific method is a beautiful thing. If you can test a Stans Arch I would love to see the results.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Supposedly they are not. The specialized are narrower.

mtbr member
    Nice work! Are you also going to use a quarter of red bladed spokes? Those things are expensive :P
    And I would have used the name "Oval" :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    The scientific method is a beautiful thing. If you can test a Stans Arch I would love to see the results.
    I have a friend who have Arch on i9 set-up. I'll test it when my wheels will be build. That would be a nice compare. I order a 24h to build on dirty flea rear. I will see if spoke count have a major or minor impact on stifness.

5 rear wheels battle:
    Chinese AM 32H on powertap, competiton 2.0/1.8/2.0.
    Chinese AM 32H on DT240s rws 10mm, supercomp 2.0/1.7/1.8.
    Chinese AM 24H on dirty flea, competition 2.0/1.8/2.0.
    Stan's Arch on i9.
    Specialized 450sl 32H (alloy) on DT oem specialized (maybe like a dt350 or dt340, i don't know)
    mat g

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yo Mat,

That's nice stuff. If you need stickers I'll forward you a nice sticker guy in Val-Bélair.

Cheers!
    Guillaume

Cycles Golem

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I like these ones!ax-lightness: Bike Components

mtbr member

100 miles

Have about 100 or so miles on these rims and just can't get over how well they perform. The reduction in rotating weight is the thing I notice the most.

If I have to replace the rims in the future I would do it. Just can see myself going back to alloy rims.

Bro Mountainbiker
    250 gram tubulars? Maybe for cross

mtbr member
    I'm interested, very very interested. Although actually buying a set has to wait a little while, put a deposit on a frame and bought a set of 55s this week... my wallet's feeling a little creeky.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How did you get ahold of just the roval rim?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just built up a rear 28 spoke, DT 240 hub, CX Ray spokes with DT Prolock aluminum nips. Built up very easy. Rounder then the crests I built 8 months ago and very very true. Only thing was some of the spoke holes were a bit tight but the nips pulled through fine as it was brought up into tension. Weight without valves or tape was 792. So far I am impressed. Will get the front built up sometime next week and get some miles on them and get a report in a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A few pics

Did you have these built up by Deon at little Ade's? Swear I saw these there today on a beautiful blue carbon stumpy!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    How did you get ahold of just the roval rim?
    At my LBS, last fall, a pair of these was laying on the basement, waiting for me. But suddently, one was sold for replacement crash. I buy the last one and order another one this spring. But... the price was raised at a point that no one can affort them! So I keep the first roval and find this thread..., and order a chinese rim (on ebay, but not in china, by a seller who visit this thread).

I mounted the chinese AM yesterday. It end up very true but the interior (bead seat) seems to be unround. I will take a video to show you what I mean.

I know..., my name on the rim is so ugly! And yes, the powertap have a custom made 140mm disk!

mat g

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08 View Post
    Did you have these built up by Deon at little Ade's? Swear I saw these there today on a beautiful blue carbon stumpy!?
    Sure did! Sadly my Stumpy isn't carbon though, just plain ole AL.

There may be some sort of group order in the future through Ades to save on shipping. Dion mentioned building a set for himself, my friend Nick is prob going with these and eventually there will be others!
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do guys like the no logo/decal look?

I'm going to admit I'm guilty of really liking all the flashy wheel designs out there right now. Some custom stickers would be pretty sweet.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did this set come out to price wise? Or better yet, how much of a savings did you see over similar sets. (e.g. Spec. Roval)

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by gcavy1 View Post

I'm going to admit I'm guilty of really liking all the flashy wheel designs out there right now. Some custom stickers would be pretty sweet.
    No, I can't stand the oversized logos plastered all over rims, it's just screams, look at me I want your attention.

I'll take the stealth look all day long.
    beaver hunt

meh

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did this set come out to price wise? Or better yet, how much of a savings did you see over similar sets. (e.g. Spec. Roval)
    stealth looks so much better imo

you can go to light-bikes website to price them with shipping to your location, and compare to what you can find for another rim, nothing hidden there...150 for a normal rim, 155 for the wide, and prob around 50 for shipping, so 350-360 a set, spokes/nipples/hubs is a variable that can swing depending on components chosen

mtbr member
    I mounted the chinese AM yesterday. It end up very true but the interior (bead seat) seems to be unround. I will take a video to show you what I mean.
    Mine are the same way. I didn't put the indicator on the bead seat to see how far out of round, but I'm not worried about considering how out of round tires are.

I'm all about the clean look. No stickers or 3k/12k weave anywhere for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    stealth looks so much better imo

you can go to light-bikes website to price them with shipping to your location, and compare to what you can find for another rim, nothing hidden there...150 for a normal rim, 155 for the wide, and prob around 50 for shipping, so 350-360 a set, spokes/nipples/hubs is a variable that can swing depending on components chosen
    yeah, I'm aware of the prices on the rims and their wheelsets. I guess I don't know what a wheel builder typically charges. I saw that the wheels above have American Classic hubs, etc...

So I was just curious what I higher end build like this comes out to. Seems like with components like that, they're really not much cheaper than the Rovals.

Am I off here?

Clearly they're cheaper than the EC90/Havens/Enve etc...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yeah, I'm aware of the prices on the rims and their wheelsets. I guess I don't know what a wheel builder typically charges. I saw that the wheels above have American Classic hubs, etc...

So I was just curious what I higher end build like this comes out to. Seems like with components like that, they're really not much cheaper than the Rovals.

Am I off here?

Still comes out quite a bit cheaper.

$350 for rims
    $400 for hubs (rough guess on the AC price)
    $64 for spokes assuming 32h (or about $150-$200 for cx-ray or aerolite)
    $15 for nipples
    $40-$70 build labor if you're not doing it yourself.

So still significantly cheaper than rovals.

As for the hubs, if you don't care for slightly heavier weight, imo go for the Hadley hubs.

mtbr member
    Am I off here? .
    I know US prices are less, but here in Euroland a set of Roval carbons runs more than $2000usd, by my estimates a set of these with mid price hubs (pro 2 or similar) could be had around $6-700, so potentially a lot of change left over.

the train keeps rollin
    I think you are comparing Alloy rim Rovals, the carbon version retail for $1700.
    beaver hunt

meh

Am I off here?

im building a set with hadleys...say $350 for the rims, got a rear hub for $200 front $130 (found some deals on the cheap side, prob add about $100 to this normally), say $1.30 a spoke and nipple (without shopping around) on 32h is about $83, comes to around $763 in materials, roughly half the cost of the Rovals msrp at $1550

not sure what the labor charge for a build would be for you, add $100 to that and you are still beating the Rovals by a chunk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    About flashing stickers, I painted mine because I want to macth them with my front roval one... Yes it screams a lot!
    mat g

mtbr member
    A few pics

Do you know the specs on your spoke lengths? I'm thinking along the lines of doing what you did with the AM hubs (considering the hubs are relatively priced)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Without spilling the beans on the deal my LBS gives me on parts, my set came in under 1K. The Roval Control Trail SL 142+ wheelset retails for $1700 and the dealer cost is over 1K, under $1300 (I don't want to spill those beans either).

The AC hubs are fairly solid on their prices unless you happen to come across some great deal online I don't know about.

So as far as price goes, there is nothing that compares even if you get the Roval's at dealer cost which is what I was originally going to do.

I would rather have had the Specialized/DT Swiss hubs or just plain DT 240s, but the extra cost was not worth it at this point. This will be the first rear AC hub I have used so the jury is out for a long time on this one.

I like the no sticker look, but if there was a simple design I would not be against it. Also, the 3K weave IMO doesn't jump out at ya from typical viewing distance. You have to be fairly close to notice it.

Also, about tires seating. I have Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL-R 2.25 Snake Skins. I use the Slime Pro system exclusively. I have had mixed results on getting tires to seat with a floor pump in the past, but most will go on. I used Stan's 25mm yellow tape, installed myself for the 1st time. The tires would not seat with a floor pump even after brushing some sealant around the bead and rim cavity. With an air compressor they went no problem, BUT there was no noticeable POP like I usually get. Instead I heard multiple (probably around 10) small pops. I did NOT add sealant in any amount other than brushing some on like mentioned. I inflated to 60psi and let them sit over night. To my surprise the tires held air wonderfully over night, actually barely lost any pressure. It has now been 3 days and they are still holding great.

On my only test ride they spun up fast and felt weightless compared to OEM aluminum wheels in the ~1800gr range.

Another note, I used Stan's tubeless valve and the inner valve hole in the rim (the one in the cavity) is 6mm which is the same diameter of a presta valve. Stan's valve has a rubber cone that sits in the valve hole but will not really sit down in the hole to seal properly at 6mm. I had to use a dremel tool with an abrasive bit to open the hole slightly for the cone to drop in a bit more. I am currently exchanging emails with Nancy about this and discussing options. If you care to provide your input on this please do so here.

If everyone can start to list their spoke tension that would be great since that seems to be still up in the air.
    Last edited by bquinn; 02-22-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Spoke length was 603 IIRC.

Not possible. Rim ERD is in the 600-603 range. Spoke length shouldf be about 290mm give or take a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Sj
    Stickers? My graphics seem to be silk screened on to the rim (paint or ink).

How did you get them off? Heat? Lacquer thinner?

I want to remove mine and paint the red spokes black.

I like stealth wheels over circus wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Not possible. Rim ERD is in the 600-603 range. Spoke length shouldf be about 290mm give or take a few.
    Sorry, I gave my builder the 603erd and he went from there. Not sure the spoke length.
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CerveloMikey View Post
    Stickers? My graphics seem to be silk screened on to the rim (paint or ink).

How did you get them off? Heat? Lacquer thinner?

I want to remove mine and paint the red spokes black.

I like stealth wheels over circus wheels!
    I have a solution for you: just to order a complete set all in black to Nancy!
    mat g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got my 29er wide UD matte rims. They are 384g and 389g. Sweet.

Page 5 of 83 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 569