Page 32 of 163 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,600 of 8113
  1. #1551
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    First ride, (and needs more spoke tension related question)

    Got my first ride on the Carbon rims last night. They felt great. I didn't feel as if the front end of my bike was wandering around the off camber rocky stuff, like I usually feel. It made the bike feel more point-and-shoot.

    I even managed to get my front aired up tubeless, and it held for a whole ride! That is a record for me! I might be able to run tubeless after all. During the ride, I was getting some seepage and minor bubbling around the bead. I don't know if that should be a big concern. Maybe I should invest in some Bontrager rim strips.

    My front wheel is the 29er AM carbon rim, Stan's yellow tape, Bontrager stem, 60g of Stan's Sealant (plus an extra little squirt), and a Werewolf LT 2.55, relatively new. I aired it up with one CO2 cartridge, then tire pump.

    So I had a bud bring over his Park spoke tension meter, but he forgot the chart that goes with it. My other wheels metered out to #20-#24 on the scale, but since i didn't have the chart, I have no idea how much kGf that comes out to be. My new carbon wheels were around the #16-#19 range. I'm using DT Swiss DB 14/15 ga spokes. I obviously need to up my tension a bit, I think. I didn't notice any nipple ticking sounds, or feel any flex, but I wanna get it right so the rims will last nearly forever with as little future adjustment as possible.

    Does anybody have an idea of what the proper tension for these wheels comes out to be on the Park meter scale?
    Last edited by pimpbot; 06-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.

  2. #1552
    Dirt Bike Craig
    Reputation: FMX_DBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    455
    So do the wider rims have a max suggested rider weight? Also, are they durable enough for Arizona riding with lots of rocks and some aggressive downhills?
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

  3. #1553
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    So do the wider rims have a max suggested rider weight? Also, are they durable enough for Arizona riding with lots of rocks and some aggressive downhills?
    I just looked it up. Official published weight limit is 95kg, or 209.4 pounds. They also say they can make them beefier on request for a higher weight limit.

    I was a bit worried about it myself, 'cause I run 207 pounds nekkid these days. My good bud Aosty points out I shouldn't worry, I ride like a puss anyway. He's not wrong.

    I'm trying to find out the spoke tension limit. It doesn't seem to be listed on this site. My apologies if it's been noted here before, but I'm too lazy to search.

  4. #1554
    Dirt Bike Craig
    Reputation: FMX_DBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    455
    From what I read in this thread 120 is about the max spoke tension you want I believe. Like you I'm right about at the weight limit at 208-210lbs. I ride pretty aggressively so I might request them a little beefier. I have an email into them now regarding the weight limit
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

  5. #1555
    mtbr member
    Reputation: figo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    143
    Around 120 seems good, I've built mine with 130kgf max, just because I'm using CX-rays and have good results with that tension on my alu rims as well. According to Nancy the max spoke tension of the rims is 180kgf, but I don't have the guts to get anywhere near that...

  6. #1556
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    According to Nancy 180kgf, I've build my set using sapim cxrays at 130kgf max.
    ^^^

  7. #1557
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    ...I aired it up with one CO2 cartridge, then tire pump.

    So I had a bud bring over his Park spoke tension meter, but he forgot the chart that goes with it. My other wheels metered out to #20-#24 on the scale, but since i didn't have the chart, I have no idea how much kGf that comes out to be. My new carbon wheels were around the #16-#19 range. I'm using DT Swiss DB 14/15 ga spokes. I obviously need to up my tension a bit, I think. I didn't notice any nipple ticking sounds, or feel any flex, but I wanna get it right so the rims will last nearly forever with as little future adjustment as possible.
    CO2 and latex does not play well. If you had sealant in the tire when you hit it with the CO2, it has caused rapid polymerization of the latex and the sealant will dry in short order. I always bead the tire first dry and then inject the sealant through the valve stem.

    For a 1.8mm spoke, 16=60kgf and 19=80kgf. You should be somewhere around 23=124kgf. I hope your spoke tension didn't vary 3 numbers on the gauge on the same side of the wheel.

  8. #1558
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Good to know...

    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    CO2 and latex does not play well. If you had sealant in the tire when you hit it with the CO2, it has caused rapid polymerization of the latex and the sealant will dry in short order. I always bead the tire first dry and then inject the sealant through the valve stem.

    For a 1.8mm spoke, 16=60kgf and 19=80kgf. You should be somewhere around 23=124kgf. I hope your spoke tension didn't vary 3 numbers on the gauge on the same side of the wheel.
    I always thought CO2 was pretty inert, like, it doesn't react with much that would be inside a tire.

    I'm getting the last few parts for my compressor today, so hopefully that won't be an issue in the future.

  9. #1559
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    CO2 doesn't affect the sealant, latex or otherwise...when you pump a tire up with a track/hand pump you are introducing CO2...hell, Hutchisons sealant is basically a CO2 cartridge and latex sealant in one
    Now an extreme cold shock from a cartridge directly into a bunch of sealant might have some affect, i dunno, and the cartridge air will be dryer, but I've used them as have countless others without issue

  10. #1560
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    CO2 doesn't affect the sealant, latex or otherwise...when you pump a tire up with a track/hand pump you are introducing CO2...hell, Hutchisons sealant is basically a CO2 cartridge and latex sealant in one
    Now an extreme cold shock from a cartridge directly into a bunch of sealant might have some affect, i dunno, and the cartridge air will be dryer, but I've used them as have countless others without issue
    Uhmm, the concentration of CO2 in atmospheric air is a little different than a cartridge, which is . . . yep 100%. I only had to do it once and it turned the sealant into pudding. Plus, a chemist over in the homebrew thread explained why the CO2 causes the latex to polymerize. Not even going to try to regurgitate.

  11. #1561
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    I realize the concentrations are different, that's elementary. But if what you say is true, the reaction would still be taking place regardless.
    CO2 is essentially inert. If it had some reaction chemically with sealants, it would always have that chemical reaction. I have used it with no reaction whatsoever. I would guess what's happened to you is you shot a super dry and cold blast of air into a puddle of sealant in your tire, and that centralized area dehydrated rapidly and formed a gob of latex...similar to the scabs that form when the sealant dries out.

    Or show some info of this reaction, im def open to learning something new.

  12. #1562
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,518
    Air is only .039% CO2, and concentration does matter. I'll let you do your own research.

  13. #1563
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    I realize the concentrations are different, that's elementary. But if what you say is true, the reaction would still be taking place regardless.
    CO2 is essentially inert. If it had some reaction chemically with sealants, it would always have that chemical reaction. I have used it with no reaction whatsoever. I would guess what's happened to you is you shot a super dry and cold blast of air into a puddle of sealant in your tire, and that centralized area dehydrated rapidly and formed a gob of latex...similar to the scabs that form when the sealant dries out.

    Or show some info of this reaction, im def open to learning something new.
    Air also has oxygen ,but air is not flammable. Pure O2 is highly flammable and explosive. As ktm said, concentration does matter.
    Same idea with a CO2 can and the sealant.
    If you had no reaction, that's all good. Definitely not the norm, and actually kind of amazing. The bad reaction between a CO2 canister and tire sealant is well documented on this forum.

  14. #1564
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    that ratio doesnt have anything to do with the the scenario of discussion: using co2 cartridges with sealant
    no chemical reactions take place between co2 and latex, if it did, wouldnt there be a new substance and byproduct? what you have is latex still...polymerization is happening because of dehydration of the solvent, not because of the co2/latex, when the sealant dries out over a couple months time its "polymerization" as well...i dont doubt what you read, nor do i doubt that youve had issues, i just am doubting your interpretation that its because of co2 and latex not playing well
    i have done some research and have a moderate idea of what im talking about, not sure you do at all or you would explain it...hence the "ill let you do your own research" comment

    dont want to get in a pissing match, but I also dont want someone thats never set up a tubeless tire to read misinformation and shy away from a simple method of seating a stubborn tire in the absence of a compressor

  15. #1565
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    Air also has oxygen ,but air is not flammable. Pure O2 is highly flammable and explosive. As ktm said, concentration does matter.
    Same idea with a CO2 can and the sealant.
    If you had no reaction, that's all good. Definitely not the norm, and actually kind of amazing. The bad reaction between a CO2 canister and tire sealant is well documented on this forum.
    not really relevant, but, carbon dioxide is essentially an inert gas, oxygen is not, inert gases being nonreactive
    oxygen is flammable, be it pure or in the air, makes no difference...without it a match wouldnt light


    sorry about prolongoing that derail, im done, feel free to not use co2 charges by all means, and i will continue to as i always have without issue...should be discussing rims anyway
    Last edited by clewttu; 06-15-2012 at 06:23 PM.

  16. #1566
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    463
    If you use the Bontrager strips you can seat a new tire with a sneeze into the valve. No need for a CO2 cartridge.

    But, with a beat up, worn out tire, the CO2 cartridge may be needed.

    Back to the rims. I have been riding at 21.99psi front and rear. A little afraid to go lower.160lbs riding buff, packed sand, with a little bit of rocks and roots.

    How do you know when you are too low? Rim strikes? I don't want to go there. Is there any parking lot test I can do?

    I use my palm to fully compress the tire and see how it feels but that is not very scientific.

  17. #1567
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    not really relevant, but, carbon dioxide is essentially an inert gas, oxygen is not, inert gases being nonreactive
    oxygen is flammable, be it pure or in the air, makes no difference...without it a match wouldnt light

    My point was that the concentration of the gas greatly determines the reaction.
    Last edited by mucky; 06-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.

  18. #1568
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    not really relevant, but, carbon dioxide is essentially an inert gas, oxygen is not, inert gases being nonreactive
    oxygen is flammable, be it pure or in the air, makes no difference...without it a match wouldnt light


    sorry about prolongoing that derail, im done, feel free to not use co2 charges by all means, and i will continue to as i always have without issue...should be discussing rims anyway
    CO2 will dissolve in the aqueous component of sealant proportional to it's concentration in the air inside the tire, forming carbonic acid which will drop the pH of the solution and promote coagulation of the latex.
    dissolution and dissociation in water is a reaction => not inert

    FYI
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  19. #1569
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post

    How do you know when you are too low? Rim strikes?
    I think that is basically it.
    I'm about your weight, and I run 23 psi F and 24 psi R on Crest rims. I think tire volume has a role in what pressure you can run, if I recall correctly. I've read people running 19-20 psi with a similar weight, 155-160, with success. I wouldn't go below 22 F or R, but that's me. I don't want to find out I'm too low by denting my rim.

  20. #1570
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    If you use the Bontrager strips you can seat a new tire with a sneeze into the valve. No need for a CO2 cartridge.

    not always true

  21. #1571
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    CO2 will dissolve in the aqueous component of sealant proportional to it's concentration in the air inside the tire, forming carbonic acid which will drop the pH of the solution and promote coagulation of the latex.
    dissolution and dissociation in water is a reaction => not inert

    FYI
    thanks, this is what I was looking for

  22. #1572
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    73
    Also FYI, oxygen is not flammable!

  23. #1573
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by giantdale View Post
    Also FYI, oxygen is not flammable!
    I stand corrected. Thanks

  24. #1574
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    118
    As far as the bontrager rim strips vs stans rim tape.....

    I have used both and here are some of the details.

    - The stans rim tape is much lighter. I pulled it off and weighed it before putting on the bonty rim strips. Stans rim tape weighed 6g.
    Bonty rim strips weighed 42g and 46g.

    - I ride hard and have had my tire burp one time with the stans rim tape. I landed a jump on an off camber landing and the tire essentially folded off the rim causing me to crash. I'm not sure that would not have happened with the bonty rim strip but we will see.

    - As far as mounting the tire: They both aired up easily with an air compressor. With the rim tape I did not get much of the comforting pops that insure the tire is set into the bead properly. The rim strips pop loudly into place. I have to say that the rim strips seem more secure. Time will tell. As for now, I'm going to keep the tape on my rear wheel and a rim strip on the front.

  25. #1575
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08 View Post
    As far as the bontrager rim strips vs stans rim tape.....

    I have used both and here are some of the details.

    - The stans rim tape is much lighter. I pulled it off and weighed it before putting on the bonty rim strips. Stans rim tape weighed 6g.
    Bonty rim strips weighed 42g and 46g.
    Stans tape at 6g AND the valve at 6.5gram. as well. Just saying.

    I'm running Stans tape on both F+R and having no issues wotso ever. And I'm running heavy at the moment as well. Need to lay off the pies

  26. #1576
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackBoy View Post
    Stans tape at 6g AND the valve at 6.5gram. as well. Just saying.
    You also need a valve with the Bonty strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackBoy View Post
    I'm running Stans tape on both F+R and having no issues wotso ever. And I'm running heavy at the moment as well. Need to lay off the pies
    I'm not one to gamble with my teeth, but the success of tape-only conversions has me wondering. I've already got the Bonty strips, I'll most likely stick to those.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  27. #1577
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    You also need a valve with the Bonty strips.

    I'm not one to gamble with my teeth, but the success of tape-only conversions has me wondering. I've already got the Bonty strips, I'll most likely stick to those.
    Curse you Melting featherfor making me look like the Re-Tard that I am.
    in my defense we don't really see the bonty strips very often down in NZ.

    Personally I already have more than a few missing teeth, it'll just save on the docs when I need the rest out. Now if only Intense would hurry up with the new swingarm for my M9 so i can flick it off, I can get my falsies

  28. #1578
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    If you have seen the type of terrain Mikesee rides on a regular basis and enjoyed viewing his excellent photography and video over the years showing us all of the dream terrain he rides - you would understand why running a regular tire bead tubeless is not an ideal set up for his particular needs. Suffice it to say, outside of the driveway leading in and out of his residence, he rides nothing where a SB8 or Fast Trak would do him much of any good.

    It's a pretty slick interface to use the Bonty rim strips on these carbon rims (doesn't require any yellow tape underneath), they are light and they improve the tire bead/rim interface to improve the safety and trustworthiness of a tubeless set up. I have been beating the heck out of my Nobby Nics (SS /TLR) on these rims. In fact, I beat the rear wheel so much this week that I had to take it in yesterday to get trued up. I've run my psi from the teens up to 24 (that's as high as I'll go with a monster truck 2.35 size for my 185 pounds) with no burping, no squirm and am pretty confident with the interface for my riding needs.

    But that's not to say there is any sort of guarantee. It's just to say I've taken the steps to make this tubeless set up as trustworthy as I can make it by choice of rim strip and choice of tire. I have not tried a "regular" tire conversion on the carbon rims and don't feel the need to with all of the tires that are available these days.

    That being said, if you think the SB8 is a good tire, you really ought to take a look and a try with some better tires such as the Maxxis Ikon or the Schwalbe Racing Ralph - or even Continental Race King. All of those are tires in the same class with better volume, better pedigree and better performance out on the trail - IMO of course.

    BB
    Oh, I was just answering his question at to what tires people were using. I had/have no idea where he rides. I'll have to look into it. I wasn't making a suggestion of what type of tire anyone should use. Just sayin' what I use, and what I've found that works well for the varied terrain that's around here.

    I like my Bonty strips/valves. I've ridden a bunch of different tires and rims set up ghetto, and I never quite felt comfortable nor confident. From what you say, I understand it a bit better now. I feel a bit more both on these strips than I have on anything else. I plan to get out and thrash mine around when I get a chance.

    Lots and lots of choice of tires. I've been through a bunch of them, and I've stuck with the ones that I like/don't hate. I have a bunch of tires I don't ride in my basement. I like the SB8/Fast Trak/Exiwolf for a reason: these tires don't work as well on rocks and roots when it's damp. They work well in dirt, silty corners, tacky mud, and they roll and corner like a dream in hardpack. When it's dry around here, they've always seemed to do a great job. The fact that they don't work well in the wet kind of makes me stay off the trail when conditions are questionable. I didn't like the Race King, though many around here almost swear by it. I didn't like the Ralphs either, and I haven't ever seen/ridden the Ikon. I might look at one. I thought the MotoRaptor and the Jones ACX were hopeless. I was somewhat undecided on the XDX, but I think I might give it another try on these rims. I'm not a tire peasant, but I'm cheap. It might be time to revisit those tires, or buy other tube-less ready ones, but why? I've found tires that I like, work well around here, and that are cheap enough to buy a bunch of. Any and all of that might change if I start rolling tires off these rims.

    BB, you seem to know about tires; did Kenda change the compound in the SB8 at some point? My second and 3rd set seem to be more "plastic-ey' than my first set. They are kind of hard. The first set is still good, but they seem like they wore down faster than the other 2 sets.

    I've learned a great deal from this thread. The main thing I've learned is that if you do your research that you can get almost exactly what you want. Thanks all.

  29. #1579
    mtbr member
    Reputation: figo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    You also need a valve with the Bonty strips.

    I'm not one to gamble with my teeth, but the success of tape-only conversions has me wondering. I've already got the Bonty strips, I'll most likely stick to those.
    My guess is the tire is the main factor whether they can run tape-only on these rims, I don't notice any less tight fit between these carbon wheels and my American Classic set, also the when removing the tire I don't notice a lot of difference, this is all with the same tire..

    Just to be sure I did order a pair rim strips, in case I'll get any burping at lower pressure in the following weeks.

  30. #1580
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccornacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    296
    where is everyone getting these Bonty rim strips from? I'd like to give them a try.

  31. #1581
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    where is everyone getting these Bonty rim strips from? I'd like to give them a try.
    Any Trek dealer. They're like $10 each.

    I think you can order them from Bontrager: Components, Accessories, Apparel, and Shoes for Road, Mountain, and City Cycling as well.

  32. #1582
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822

    40 lbf sound right for tension?

    I think 40 lbf is the same as 88 kgf. I believe this is what my wheel builder suggested for me using the Nancy wide 29er hoops.

    FWIW, I am 150 lbs and I have the dt revos being laced to Amer Classic hubs...

    Thoughts/suggestions please...?!

    His thoughts were to build them at 40 lbf and have me ride them a bit and bring 'em back for re-tensioning.. Hmm..

  33. #1583
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,513
    Quote Originally Posted by expostdelirium View Post
    BB, you seem to know about tires; did Kenda change the compound in the SB8 at some point? My second and 3rd set seem to be more "plastic-ey' than my first set. They are kind of hard. The first set is still good, but they seem like they wore down faster than the other 2 sets.
    I only have one pair of the SB8's and note the "plastic-ey" of them (as well as my Nevegals). My comments were more based on the wheels and tire forum where the test results are not as favorable for the Small Block Eight. Most noteworthy is the rolling resistance of the Small Block Eight. The test confirmed the feel I always have when running them - be it on gravel, singletrack, pavement to and from the trail, etc... . They just feel sluggish when compared to other tires I use.

    The SB8 29"er tire has a rolling resistance measurement of 40.5 Watts in the test (higher number means a slower tire). The Nobby Nic with the big knobs has a measurement of 28.5 Watts. A Rocket Ron is 26.4 Watts. Geax AKA 2.2 is 25.7 Watts. And so on and so forth.

    The good news is the SB8 wears well (as in lasts a good long time) and the tests confirm this.

    That being said, my AM carbon rims are all about the Nobby Nics this season...

  34. #1584
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    751
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I think 40 lbf is the same as 88 kgf. I believe this is what my wheel builder suggested for me using the Nancy wide 29er hoops.

    FWIW, I am 150 lbs and I have the dt revos being laced to Amer Classic hubs...

    Thoughts/suggestions please...?!

    His thoughts were to build them at 40 lbf and have me ride them a bit and bring 'em back for re-tensioning.. Hmm..

    88kgf is too low for any serious wheel.
    A general recommendation is 90-120 and with these things being carbon and allegedly rated all the way to a staggering 180 I would take em all they way to 120.

  35. #1585
    mtbr member
    Reputation: figo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I think 40 lbf is the same as 88 kgf. I believe this is what my wheel builder suggested for me using the Nancy wide 29er hoops.

    FWIW, I am 150 lbs and I have the dt revos being laced to Amer Classic hubs...

    Thoughts/suggestions please...?!

    His thoughts were to build them at 40 lbf and have me ride them a bit and bring 'em back for re-tensioning.. Hmm..
    I'd think it's the other way around, 40kgf is 88lbs, if at least there is any consistency with my weight more than doubling when I travel to the states

  36. #1586
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,822
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    I'd think it's the other way around, 40kgf is 88lbs, if at least there is any consistency with my weight more than doubling when I travel to the states
    Yes, you are correcto

  37. #1587
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    166
    I've never seen that thread. I'll have to look it over. I appreciate the heads-up of what the numbers say. That's the sort of thing I like to compare. It allows me to see the numbers behind my impressions. That said, the SB8 seem to roll faster than other tires I've ridden, but if I have a tire on that list that has lower numbers, I'll try the "feel" of it to compare to the numbers.

    Appreciate it.

  38. #1588
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    My guess is the tire is the main factor whether they can run tape-only on these rims.
    I think it's the rim. A Stans rim has a different bead hook for the tire to connect with, so their tape is all you need. I think the Bonty strip is used to replicate a hook interface like with the Stan's rim. I would assume you can't even use a Bonty strip on a Stan's rim, but I'm not sure.
    I was also under the assumption that UST tires has a different bead hook for the same reason, but thought they can only be used on certain rims. Again, I don't really know.

  39. #1589
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38
    Just canceled my order today. After 3weeks they still are not complete and have not shipped.

    I'm going to just get some stan's instead. At least I know I will get them.

  40. #1590
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    73
    Please, tell a little more. Where and what did you order, who did you deal with and what was the reason for the delay? Thanks!

  41. #1591
    Dirt Bike Craig
    Reputation: FMX_DBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkr678 View Post
    Just canceled my order today. After 3weeks they still are not complete and have not shipped.

    I'm going to just get some stan's instead. At least I know I will get them.
    Hmmm I just ordered some beefy 26" rims a couple days ago... Nancy mentioned they were about 20 days out
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

  42. #1592
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,379
    these guys seem to be very accurate on stated delivery times.

    they don't seem to mislead the customer in my experience.

  43. #1593
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38
    I ordered a pre build 29er wheel set from light bicycle. They first said we will have your order built in 10 days and send you a tracking number. After 12 days I emailed asking them what was going on and they replied that the rims just finished today and in 2 days they will ship.

    After another 3 days another email asking what was up. Their reply was that they are on the build line and they did the QC check should be 2 more days.

    2days later no tracking info I told them to cancel the order and give me a refund. The promised that they could "ship them tomorrow that they are being built today", funny I thought they were built?

    I just want my money back at this point.

  44. #1594
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    73
    Thank you for your reply. I seem to be in a similar mess, but I'll wait till 45 days pass. I wish I knew where to turn I case I end up without my rims...

  45. #1595
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkr678 View Post
    I ordered a pre build 29er wheel set from light bicycle. They first said we will have your order built in 10 days and send you a tracking number. After 12 days I emailed asking them what was going on and they replied that the rims just finished today and in 2 days they will ship.

    After another 3 days another email asking what was up. Their reply was that they are on the build line and they did the QC check should be 2 more days.

    2days later no tracking info I told them to cancel the order and give me a refund. The promised that they could "ship them tomorrow that they are being built today", funny I thought they were built?

    I just want my money back at this point.
    what were you afraid was gonna happen??

  46. #1596
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    what were you afraid was gonna happen??
    I don't have to be afraid of anything now. They did the refund promptly.

    I just don't like being told that things will happen in x number of days...then oh we need x number of days more...but we need more time.

    If you can't deliver on your promises after 3 misquoted dates then you don't deserve my business no matter how cheap you are.

  47. #1597
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkr678 View Post
    I don't have to be afraid of anything now. They did the refund promptly.

    I just don't like being told that things will happen in x number of days...then oh we need x number of days more...but we need more time.

    If you can't deliver on your promises after 3 misquoted dates then you don't deserve my business no matter how cheap you are.
    could you possibly give me your order #?

    i would like to try to buy them.

    thanks

  48. #1598
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    Second that

    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    these guys seem to be very accurate on stated delivery times.

    they don't seem to mislead the customer in my experience.
    I ordered mine, and received them exactly two weeks later to the Bay Area, CA. I just got the Wide 29er rims, and didn't ask for anything special, such as extra beefy, or extra light. I just got off the rack rims.

    BTW, I just did a good full ride on them this weekend, and they were flawless. Very laterally stiff, no steering squirm. I'd buy another set for the other bike in a minute (if I wasn't frickin broke at the moment).

    I suggest that you just be patient. They are worth it. And, they won't fatigue around the (non) eyelets like Stan's will.

  49. #1599
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Any Trek dealer. They're like $10 each.

    I think you can order them from Bontrager: Components, Accessories, Apparel, and Shoes for Road, Mountain, and City Cycling as well.
    The RLX 29er Rim Strip?

    Here is the online Trek store where you can order them.

  50. #1600
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    736
    It looks like demand must be ramping up. I ordered a pair 18 days ago and the rims are expected to ship later this week. (About 3 weeks from order to shipment)

    My bet is that this company is going to see stratospheric sales growth. Carbon is about to go mainstream.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •