Page 249 of 259 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 6455
  1. #6201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    You might want to also check out Nextie rims.
    Nextie Bike | Carbon Bicycle Devotion | Made in China

    I have no relation to them other than being a customer. I recently had a rim develop holes around the a nipple hole. They replaced the rim, I only had to pay shipping.

    There is a lot of talk about them in the fat bike forum as they make a "wild Dragon" fat bike carbon rim.

    Just something to look at.
    Thanks for the tip, never heard of that one. They seem to fall between light-bicycle and carbonbicycle price wise. Also they claim a 2 year warranty. About 40g heavier weight for their "am" rims. Might not be a bad thing for me.

    Did you get the 35mm rims? How was the delivery time?

  2. #6202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ottoreni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, never heard of that one. They seem to fall between light-bicycle and carbonbicycle price wise. Also they claim a 2 year warranty. About 40g heavier weight for their "am" rims. Might not be a bad thing for me.

    Did you get the 35mm rims? How was the delivery time?
    I have the original "wide rims", I think those are 30mm? Original rims were ordered back in early fall of 2013. The only reason I got the Nextie rims over the LB rims back then was because Nextie was a new company and was offering a 10 or 15% coupon back then. The rims arrived within 3 weeks.

    The warranty rim should arrive in just under 3 weeks.

    When I do buy my next set of rims, I plan to buy from them again. I will go with the wider and hookless rims when that time comes since I have had an overall good experience with them.

    I can give you the guy's name I have been dealing with. He gets back to me within 24 hours.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

  3. #6203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    14
    Hi guys,

    What has been the smallest tire anyone has installed on the 35mm wheels? Would a 2.0 tire work ok?

  4. #6204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I think I may order for carbonbicycle.cc
    As far as I can tell, it's the same product for $75less.
    Anyone have any similar experiences they want to share?
    I received two rims from them. Quality seems fine. Build was easy. I'd save the money.

  5. #6205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    17
    XMiplay have similar rims to sell too, I bought my wheelset from them, no issues sa far, and many guys who order frames from them order wheels from them as well.

    29er rim,Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

    Their price is cheaper than Light-Bicycle.

    Maybe LB think they are unique here and have most fans for their rims so they sell them at higher price.

  6. #6206
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I received two rims from them. Quality seems fine. Build was easy. I'd save the money.
    Thanks for the feedback. Shipping time?

  7. #6207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    714
    I'm still waffling between choices for the 35mm hookless rims. I have it down to Nextie AM and Carbonbicycle. Light bicycle is out for me.

    The Nextie 35mm rims are 460g ea, and are $393 shipped for the set

    Carbonbicycle.com's rims are 420g ea $353.90 shipped for the set

    ERD is slightly less on the CB rims 589 vs. 594 for the nextie. Rider weight limit is higher for the Nextie 150kg vs. 120kg finally spoke tension is a little different. Higher for the carboncycle ones.

    Obviously this is hyper analysis on my part but it's a bit of an investment. Neither of these places have much of track record but nextie looks a bit more professional. I guess the heavier rim might be the safer choice? I just wonder where that extra weight is applied. Thicker spoke bed? If anyone would like to weigh in I'd appreciate it. Got to pull the trigger sooner or later.

  8. #6208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I'm still waffling between choices for the 35mm hookless rims. I have it down to Nextie AM and Carbonbicycle. Light bicycle is out for me.

    The Nextie 35mm rims are 460g ea, and are $393 shipped for the set

    Carbonbicycle.com's rims are 420g ea $353.90 shipped for the set

    ERD is slightly less on the CB rims 589 vs. 594 for the nextie. Rider weight limit is higher for the Nextie 150kg vs. 120kg finally spoke tension is a little different. Higher for the carboncycle ones.

    Obviously this is hyper analysis on my part but it's a bit of an investment. Neither of these places have much of track record but nextie looks a bit more professional. I guess the heavier rim might be the safer choice? I just wonder where that extra weight is applied. Thicker spoke bed? If anyone would like to weigh in I'd appreciate it. Got to pull the trigger sooner or later.
    I'm in the same boat except my 2 choices is LB vs iPlay. As long as you buy complete wheel sets, LB is still competitive (pricewise). I havent looked heavily into the 2 companies you listed, but if they offer full built wheel sets, that'll definitely throw a wrench in my decision making.

  9. #6209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Shipping time?
    21 days to my door. One was 28 hole though.
    Two to a box each in a simple foam sleeve.

  10. #6210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,741
    Quote Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
    I'm in the same boat except my 2 choices is LB vs iPlay. As long as you buy complete wheel sets, LB is still competitive (pricewise). I havent looked heavily into the 2 companies you listed, but if they offer full built wheel sets, that'll definitely throw a wrench in my decision making.
    Buy the rims and get them built by someone that does it right.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  11. #6211
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    491
    Agree 100% !!

  12. #6212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Buy the rims and get them built by someone that does it right.
    That's what I did the first time around and I'm pretty glad I did. I ended up with Pro II hubs and DT comp spokes built by my LBS. It was good to support them in all but the rims and it gave me a lot more peace of mind. The cost penalty wasn't too bad either. All in, the wheelset was just under $800.

  13. #6213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    21 days to my door. One was 28 hole though.
    Two to a box each in a simple foam sleeve.
    Wait, did they send you the wrong rim? Was it supposed to be a 28h?

  14. #6214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
    Hi guys,

    What has been the smallest tire anyone has installed on the 35mm wheels? Would a 2.0 tire work ok?
    I have been running Captain 2.0" front and rear for 6 weeks now. Work Great!

  15. #6215
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Wait, did they send you the wrong rim? Was it supposed to be a 28h?
    I have a Dt 240 28 hole front hub and a 32 rear.

    I build with nipple washers and brass nipples.
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-09-2014 at 06:36 PM.

  16. #6216
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    609

    Is this the proverbial corrosion of which we speak?

    One year old, 30/23mm LB "wider" 29ers with DT alloy nipples using Bontrager rim strips.

    Ridden in mixed conditions (OR, WA, UT, AZ).

    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0147.jpg

  17. #6217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    One year old, 30/23mm LB "wider" 29ers with DT alloy nipples using Bontrager rim strips.

    Ridden in mixed conditions (OR, WA, UT, AZ).
    Should also have mentioned that I've not suffered any broken nipples or other ill effects. I was just swapping tires and thought I'd do a quick inspection.

    I'm not sure whether I should change them out to brass in anticipation of potential issues down the road, or just ride them into the sunset in the hope that the nipples will never fail despite the corrosion (and in the process, provide Meltingfeather with a data point for the does-corrosion-matter debate).

  18. #6218
    4 Niners
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,937
    I am at a party, but will send pictures of my latest failure and I just ordered 200 brass nipples.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

  19. #6219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    81
    So far been on 12 rides and haven't had a rim strike yet. Ran my Racing Ralph in front at 17 psi and Thunder Burt in rear at 20 psi with no problems. But boy did my bike feel fast. I can feel the increase power of the less weight in every pedal stroke now!!! It's insane!!!

  20. #6220
    4 Niners
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,937
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pko0wodyy...HUMa7Xxhr-n8ta

    This is from the rear wheel of the last set I built and by then, I was using never seize as a lubricant hoping it would cut down on any corrosion. Guess it didn't work since I broke a nipple last week and this was what I found. Rebuilt the wheel with brass nipples and ordered 200 brass nipples so my winter project is to rebuild the rest of my wheels. (I have 7 and have rebuilt 2 so far with brass) The good news is that these are the easiest rims I have ever built with and it won't take long to do them.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

  21. #6221
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    401
    So excited! My wheelset got shipped today! Has anyone in the US had to pay taxes on the delivery? Here's hoping it takes less than a week to get here!

    C
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  22. #6222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    So far been on 12 rides and haven't had a rim strike yet. Ran my Racing Ralph in front at 17 psi and Thunder Burt in rear at 20 psi with no problems. But boy did my bike feel fast. I can feel the increase power of the less weight in every pedal stroke now!!! It's insane!!!
    Scratch that. I burped the front tire yesterday going around a corner and coming down a steep hill. Hit a root and handlebars ripped out from me. Luckily I was riding the brakes since this was a very hard trail. I looked at the tire and there was dirt on the inside of the rim. I noticed the tire was almost flat. Left me stranded in the woods with mosquitos biting the hell out of me as my hand pump didn't work and the tube I was carrying had a hole in it. I had the worst luck. But learned my lesson and next time will be at a higher psi in the front.

  23. #6223
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scottandhisdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    236
    I'm completely happy with my CCC rims. I'm running a Minion DHF 2.5" up front and will be scratching my HR II 2.3 for a Minion DHF 2.3" out back. These rims really stiffened up the lateral stiffness and helps with cornering.

  24. #6224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    Scratch that. I burped the front tire yesterday going around a corner and coming down a steep hill. Hit a root and handlebars ripped out from me. Luckily I was riding the brakes since this was a very hard trail. I looked at the tire and there was dirt on the inside of the rim. I noticed the tire was almost flat. Left me stranded in the woods with mosquitos biting the hell out of me as my hand pump didn't work and the tube I was carrying had a hole in it. I had the worst luck. But learned my lesson and next time will be at a higher psi in the front.
    Front & back. Even if your a feather weight, you should be running closer to 28 on the rear.

  25. #6225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    491
    I run 20 psi front and rear on my 30mm out side diameter hookless LB 29er rims Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 29x2.30. My bike Pivot 429C, my weight 175. Great tires by the way at 53 bucks each. These rims at 401g each can't be beat for the money, I have been beating the heck out of them for a few months now and still perfectly true. My Hadley hubs while a bit heavy are rock solid and so smooth also a great value, XD driver made from Ti.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •