Page 249 of 267 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 259 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 6662
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    XMiplay have similar rims to sell too, I bought my wheelset from them, no issues sa far, and many guys who order frames from them order wheels from them as well.

29er rim,Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.

Their price is cheaper than Light-Bicycle.

Maybe LB think they are unique here and have most fans for their rims so they sell them at higher price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I received two rims from them. Quality seems fine. Build was easy. I'd save the money.
    Thanks for the feedback. Shipping time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm still waffling between choices for the 35mm hookless rims. I have it down to Nextie AM and Carbonbicycle. Light bicycle is out for me.

The Nextie 35mm rims are 460g ea, and are $393 shipped for the set

Carbonbicycle.com's rims are 420g ea $353.90 shipped for the set

ERD is slightly less on the CB rims 589 vs. 594 for the nextie. Rider weight limit is higher for the Nextie 150kg vs. 120kg finally spoke tension is a little different. Higher for the carboncycle ones.

Obviously this is hyper analysis on my part but it's a bit of an investment. Neither of these places have much of track record but nextie looks a bit more professional. I guess the heavier rim might be the safer choice? I just wonder where that extra weight is applied. Thicker spoke bed? If anyone would like to weigh in I'd appreciate it. Got to pull the trigger sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I'm still waffling between choices for the 35mm hookless rims. I have it down to Nextie AM and Carbonbicycle. Light bicycle is out for me.

The Nextie 35mm rims are 460g ea, and are $393 shipped for the set

Carbonbicycle.com's rims are 420g ea $353.90 shipped for the set

ERD is slightly less on the CB rims 589 vs. 594 for the nextie. Rider weight limit is higher for the Nextie 150kg vs. 120kg finally spoke tension is a little different. Higher for the carboncycle ones.

Obviously this is hyper analysis on my part but it's a bit of an investment. Neither of these places have much of track record but nextie looks a bit more professional. I guess the heavier rim might be the safer choice? I just wonder where that extra weight is applied. Thicker spoke bed? If anyone would like to weigh in I'd appreciate it. Got to pull the trigger sooner or later.
    I'm in the same boat except my 2 choices is LB vs iPlay. As long as you buy complete wheel sets, LB is still competitive (pricewise). I havent looked heavily into the 2 companies you listed, but if they offer full built wheel sets, that'll definitely throw a wrench in my decision making.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. Shipping time?
    21 days to my door. One was 28 hole though.
    Two to a box each in a simple foam sleeve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
    I'm in the same boat except my 2 choices is LB vs iPlay. As long as you buy complete wheel sets, LB is still competitive (pricewise). I havent looked heavily into the 2 companies you listed, but if they offer full built wheel sets, that'll definitely throw a wrench in my decision making.
    Buy the rims and get them built by someone that does it right.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agree 100% !!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Buy the rims and get them built by someone that does it right.
    That's what I did the first time around and I'm pretty glad I did. I ended up with Pro II hubs and DT comp spokes built by my LBS. It was good to support them in all but the rims and it gave me a lot more peace of mind. The cost penalty wasn't too bad either. All in, the wheelset was just under $800.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    21 days to my door. One was 28 hole though.
    Two to a box each in a simple foam sleeve.
    Wait, did they send you the wrong rim? Was it supposed to be a 28h?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
    Hi guys,

What has been the smallest tire anyone has installed on the 35mm wheels? Would a 2.0 tire work ok?
    I have been running Captain 2.0" front and rear for 6 weeks now. Work Great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wait, did they send you the wrong rim? Was it supposed to be a 28h?
    I have a Dt 240 28 hole front hub and a 32 rear.

I build with nipple washers and brass nipples.
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-09-2014 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Is this the proverbial corrosion of which we speak?

One year old, 30/23mm LB "wider" 29ers with DT alloy nipples using Bontrager rim strips.

Ridden in mixed conditions (OR, WA, UT, AZ).

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0147.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    One year old, 30/23mm LB "wider" 29ers with DT alloy nipples using Bontrager rim strips.

Ridden in mixed conditions (OR, WA, UT, AZ).
    Should also have mentioned that I've not suffered any broken nipples or other ill effects. I was just swapping tires and thought I'd do a quick inspection.

I'm not sure whether I should change them out to brass in anticipation of potential issues down the road, or just ride them into the sunset in the hope that the nipples will never fail despite the corrosion (and in the process, provide Meltingfeather with a data point for the does-corrosion-matter debate).

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I am at a party, but will send pictures of my latest failure and I just ordered 200 brass nipples.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So far been on 12 rides and haven't had a rim strike yet. Ran my Racing Ralph in front at 17 psi and Thunder Burt in rear at 20 psi with no problems. But boy did my bike feel fast. I can feel the increase power of the less weight in every pedal stroke now!!! It's insane!!!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pko0wodyy...HUMa7Xxhr-n8ta

This is from the rear wheel of the last set I built and by then, I was using never seize as a lubricant hoping it would cut down on any corrosion. Guess it didn't work since I broke a nipple last week and this was what I found. Rebuilt the wheel with brass nipples and ordered 200 brass nipples so my winter project is to rebuild the rest of my wheels. (I have 7 and have rebuilt 2 so far with brass) The good news is that these are the easiest rims I have ever built with and it won't take long to do them.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Certifiably Crazy
    So excited! My wheelset got shipped today! Has anyone in the US had to pay taxes on the delivery? Here's hoping it takes less than a week to get here!

C
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    So far been on 12 rides and haven't had a rim strike yet. Ran my Racing Ralph in front at 17 psi and Thunder Burt in rear at 20 psi with no problems. But boy did my bike feel fast. I can feel the increase power of the less weight in every pedal stroke now!!! It's insane!!!
    Scratch that. I burped the front tire yesterday going around a corner and coming down a steep hill. Hit a root and handlebars ripped out from me. Luckily I was riding the brakes since this was a very hard trail. I looked at the tire and there was dirt on the inside of the rim. I noticed the tire was almost flat. Left me stranded in the woods with mosquitos biting the hell out of me as my hand pump didn't work and the tube I was carrying had a hole in it. I had the worst luck. But learned my lesson and next time will be at a higher psi in the front.

mtbr member
    I'm completely happy with my CCC rims. I'm running a Minion DHF 2.5" up front and will be scratching my HR II 2.3 for a Minion DHF 2.3" out back. These rims really stiffened up the lateral stiffness and helps with cornering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    Scratch that. I burped the front tire yesterday going around a corner and coming down a steep hill. Hit a root and handlebars ripped out from me. Luckily I was riding the brakes since this was a very hard trail. I looked at the tire and there was dirt on the inside of the rim. I noticed the tire was almost flat. Left me stranded in the woods with mosquitos biting the hell out of me as my hand pump didn't work and the tube I was carrying had a hole in it. I had the worst luck. But learned my lesson and next time will be at a higher psi in the front.
    Front & back. Even if your a feather weight, you should be running closer to 28 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run 20 psi front and rear on my 30mm out side diameter hookless LB 29er rims Bontrager XR3 Team Issue 29x2.30. My bike Pivot 429C, my weight 175. Great tires by the way at 53 bucks each. These rims at 401g each can't be beat for the money, I have been beating the heck out of them for a few months now and still perfectly true. My Hadley hubs while a bit heavy are rock solid and so smooth also a great value, XD driver made from Ti.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I weigh about 175-180 geared up w/ camelbak and have the beadhook 30mm outside width rims. I have consistently run 21psi rear and 19psi in the front using 29x2.2 Ikons w/ no issues. I ride aggressive cross country and hit plenty of rocks and small (< 18") drops at high speeds w/ no issues. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    LB 35/30 hookless with Bontrager XR3 tubless, front burped at 19psi when I stuffed it hard into a burm, OTB. I weigh 175. I'm back at 21 front and 25 rear, so far so good. I was experimenting with the low psi with all the talk of the wider rims not burping as easily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I managed to kill the exact same rim under normal conditions. I weigh a little more than you (190lbs geared up) but I was running between 25 and 28 PSI out back and a burlier tire, specialized purgatory control 2.3. The trail was rocky by NC standards but not exceptionally so, no big drops just some water bars.

LB gave me a warranty claim form to fill out and told me they would get back to me. It took three days for her first response and it's been about a week since I submitted the form. Hoping they will help me out a little at least.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I weigh 175 geared up and have been riding 35mm outer width rims with 2.35" Ikons front and back for a couple of months with about 17psi front and 19 rear. With more pressure the tires feel too bouncy. Where I ride I avoid big rocks and all drops but sometimes ride over chunky rocks that are about head size and I have not had any problems. I think my pressures are fairly accurate because all three of my gauges are within one or two psi of each other. My tires have fairly high volume and I can't imagine compressing one to the point of hurting a rim but I ride conservatively.
    Last edited by dugt; 08-12-2014 at 10:56 PM.