Page 248 of 259 FirstFirst ... 148 198 238 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 258 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 6459
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy17 View Post
    I have had the same experience! And cornering the difference is really noticeable. I am really enjoying my LB rims.. I built them up with I9 hubs dt spokes and brass nipples. I am on a TBLTc also!
    Nice, yeah haven't gotten to rail any berms yet, but they feel like I'll be able to ride through with more speed and confidence. It's pretty loose right now in Utah... Btw, running 2.4 Ardent Exo front, 2.2 Ikon Exo TR rear.

mtbr member
    No pics yet, as it's not letting me upload from my phone...

Decided to learn something tonight... How to lace wheels, that is.

Got my 12x142 BHS MTB270 and American Classic 15thru laced up to my Light Bicycle hookless 27mm XC 29er wheels. Went with the standard (read: boring) 32h/3x lacing to keep it simple and classy. Silver spokes and silver brass nipples for a little shine, with matte/UD rims.

669g front, 830g rear... Not bad for a 22mm (internal rim width) wheelset! That's 3mm wider and 300g/0.66lb lighter than my existing "lightweight" Easton EA70XCT wheelset!!

The BHS (Bitex) MTB270 hub sounds wicked! Deeper in tone than a Chris King. It literally sounds angry. No Hope clack... Just a deep, mechanical, pissed off buzzzzz.

Can't ride em yet (still gotta build a DIY wheel truing stand), but not bad for about 3 beers worth of work (with plenty of hiccups... Don't drop a nipple in a rim. Let alone three of them).

I've got a set of BHS MTB 180/270 hubs that are awaiting LB hookless 35mm AM 650b rims. Apparently they're shipping this week!

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-laced.jpg
    Last edited by hokiebrett; 07-29-2014 at 08:00 AM.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A
    '14 Motobecane Elite Trail rigid 700c commuter
    '93 Scott Montana beer bike

mtbr member
    Anybody tried Velocity VeloPlugs on LB hookless wheels? They look similar to the Specialized spoke plugs that are coming on the Spesh carbon Fatties. Another (cheap) way to save 35-40g of rotating wheel weight (plugs are lighter than tubeless tape). And you can replace a spoke by pulling one plug, instead of the entire strip of rim tape.

Velocity Rim Plugs > Components > Tires and Tubes > Rim Strips | Jenson USA

Veloplugs

Velocity Wheels

Name:  red_1_300_450.png
Views: 1211
Size:  80.7 KB
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Anybody tried Velocity VeloPlugs on LB hookless wheels? They look similar to the Specialized spoke plugs that are coming on the Spesh carbon Fatties. Another (cheap) way to save 35-40g of rotating wheel weight (plugs are lighter than tubeless tape). And you can replace a spoke by pulling one plug, instead of the entire strip of rim tape.

Veloplugs

Velocity Wheels

The Velocity website says "~15g over cloth tape on a 700c wheel." They're talking about Velox, which is heavy compared to tubeless tape, which is 5-10g per wheel.
    I'd be surprised if there were any weight savings at all. I'd also be very surprised if they were air tight.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-29-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

Veloplugs

Velocity Wheels

Velo plugs don't seal the spoke hole for a tubeless setup. They work with tubes to replace the rim tape you previously used to protect the tube from damage from the spoke hole and spoke.

In a tubeless setup they serve no purpose and you are going to need to seal the rim with Stan's tape or something else.

I've used them in the past on tubed wheels and they work fine. On the whole I generally wouldn't bother with them as they don't offer anything revolutionary and I always have tape on hand so that's what I normally use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I was thinking something like what Specialized is using on their Fatties:

Wheels will be shipped with traditional rim strips, but the carbon model will also include these Roval plugs. Lighter than a traditional tape setup, these Delrin plugs seal the spoke holes and can be run either with a tube or tubeless.
    New Specialized Roval Traverse Fattie All Mountain Wheels Show Fat?s Where It?s At

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-specialized-roval-traverse-sl-fattie-wheel-2-600x400.jpg

EDIT: OOooooooh, the Roval plugs are special. They have O-rings to seal:

INSTALLING THE TUBELESS PLUGS
    1. Inspect all plugs to ensure the o-ring goes around all four tabs.
    http://service.specialized.com/colla...0000045737.pdf

Guess I'll have to convince a Big S dealer to sell me 128 Roval Tubeless plugs
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A

mtbr member
    I was thinking something like what Specialized is using on their Fatties:

"These new wheels are also compatible with our Roval tubeless plug system, an easy and super lightweight solution for tubeless setups."
    The Velocity plugs don't seal and the Specialized ones would need to be the exact size of the spoke holes in a LB rim to work.

Personally the whole idea seems like a solution in search of a problem. 1 wrap of Stan's tape in a LB rim and you are done. Cheap/fast/light/readily available in any LBS there isn't much to complain about.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The Velocity plugs don't seal and the Specialized ones would need to be the exact size of the spoke holes in a LB rim to work.

Personally the whole idea seems like a solution in search of a problem. 1 wrap of Stan's tape in a LB rim and you are done. Cheap/fast/light/readily available in any LBS there isn't much to complain about.
    One Specialized LBS near me has built up many sets of LB hookless rims. They've also sold the Roval Control Carbon and Carbon SL wheelsets. They believe they are the same rim, as they cannot tell a difference between the LB and the Roval rim when held next to each other.

I've got tubeless tape, but these sound like a cool option.
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If I broke a spoke in tubeless wheel, I would cut a hole in the tape, replace the spoke and put another short, 10", section of tape over the hole. First you would have to clean the area real well.

Those hole caps have too many points of possible failure. They might work fine but I would be more comfortable with tape. I like Tesa strapping tape because it is thin, light and it stretches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dugt View Post
    If I broke a spoke in tubeless wheel, I would cut a hole in the tape, replace the spoke and put another short, 10", section of tape over the hole. First you would have to clean the area real well.
    Or you can carefully unthread the spoke from the nipple, orient the wheel to keep the nipple protruding (painters tape is handy to temporarily hold the nipple), lace in the new spoke, and thread it to the original nipple. No need to even remove the tire, let alone the tape.

If you've broken a nipple, well, that's another story.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anybody tried Velocity VeloPlugs on LB hookless wheels?
    Others have pointed out several reasons this isn't a good idea, but its also worth noting that Velocity themselves specifically highlight that you should NOT use the Veloplugs on their tubeless ready rims (such as the A23) because they sit too high in the rim bed, which consumes a precious millimeter or so of bead diameter when mounting tires, making it difficult/impossible to get the tire on the rim.

mtbr member
    Ok ok ok... Sorry I asked!

lol
    '14 Bronson C
    '12 Tallboy A

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ok ok ok... Sorry I asked!

lol
    You should be happy you asked. We all saved you from a bad experiment!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just built up some 35mm wide wheels. Rims were from carbonbicycle. Using Hope 2 Evo hubs and sipam race spokes and brass nipples. Rear came out around 944 grams and front 847 grams. 1791 grams not to bad i guess. Wheels are real nice and stiff. Pics up soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by McGG View Post
    I think it was damaged after manufacturing. The carbonbicycle.cc guys seem to be responsive about replacing it so far. If everything isn't to my satisfaction, then I will certainly report back here.
    I'm considering a 2 rim (35mm 29") purchase soon, can you share how this was resolved with carbonbicycle.cc?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Got my set from Light Bicycle last weekend and have been riding everyday since. Got the 30mm hookless with 32/32 QR Hope hubs and have been amazed!!! Weight came in just a pinch under 1600grams. Only problem I've had was seating the Racing Ralph in the rear. My air compressor wasn't doing it. Had to finess the bead out by hand and keep trying to pump air into it until it would hold. Took me about an hour. Front tire is Rocket Ron and had no problems even with a floor pump. Was odd though as I'm used to hearing the popping sound but with the hookless there's no sound. LOL

mtbr member
    May 2013
    BTW I really wish I got the 35's now. But 30 is still a nice improvement over what I had. Can tell the tires look fatter...

Certifiably Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramborage View Post
    BTW I really wish I got the 35's now. But 30 is still a nice improvement over what I had. Can tell the tires look fatter...
    Pictures!? I am not the most patient person. kartrin just told me my rims are currently being manufactured. I can't wait!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've had a bit of a failure on my "wider" 29er rims. I've been using them since late December. I did a long ride in the mountains with no issues, then a couple days later I took the bike out for a ride again and noticed this....

The evidence suggests rock impact but I don't recall any significant thumps on my previous ride. I obviously finished out the ride without noticing anything. The tire held air and the wheel is still in true. I was running about 28psi in moderately rocky terrain on a Kona Process 111. I weigh about 190lbs and am a fairly aggressive rider. Don't really blame the rim but this is the first time I've made any rim unusable.

I've sent an email to LB to see if they would help me out a bit with a replacement. If they don't, I think I may order for carbonbicycle.cc
    As far as I can tell, it's the same product for $75less.

Anyone have any similar experiences they want to share?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-photo-5-2-.jpg  

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Does not look like failure to me. Looks like a rock strike.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    I've had a bit of a failure on my "wider" 29er rims. I've been using them since late December. I did a long ride in the mountains with no issues, then a couple days later I took the bike out for a ride again and noticed this....

The evidence suggests rock impact but I don't recall any significant thumps on my previous ride. I obviously finished out the ride without noticing anything. The tire held air and the wheel is still in true. I was running about 28psi in moderately rocky terrain on a Kona Process 111. I weigh about 190lbs and am a fairly aggressive rider. Don't really blame the rim but this is the first time I've made any rim unusable.

I've sent an email to LB to see if they would help me out a bit with a replacement. If they don't, I think I may order for carbonbicycle.cc
    As far as I can tell, it's the same product for $75less.

Anyone have any similar experiences they want to share?
    It is hard to tell the extent of the damage because the photo of the damaged area is not in focus. The opposite side of the rim got the best focus. It would also be interesting to see a photo of the inside of the rim at the damaged area.
    Last edited by dugt; 08-04-2014 at 05:11 PM.

74 & 29 pilot
    Hard to tell, but that bubbling and the wrinkling looks as though there might be some material failure. I had one that did that when the tire was compressed by a rock and the side of the rim gave out. The top of the bead wall was compressed in and damaged, but no sign of rock damage or dust on it. Mine also held 30+ PSI while I rode and until I took the tire off.

Must of been one hell of an impact...
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Hard to tell, but that bubbling and the wrinkling looks as though there might be some material failure. I had one that did that when the tire was compressed by a rock and the side of the rim gave out. The top of the bead wall was compressed in and damaged, but no sign of rock damage or dust on it. Mine also held 30+ PSI while I rode and until I took the tire off.

Must of been one hell of an impact...
    Yeah, I need a camera, I could not get my phone to focus on the rim. This is the best I could do but still crappy. There is some de-lam on the wall of the rim and a little more a few inches down from the impact.

That's kind of what's a bit perplexing. When I feel a nasty "hit" I always stop to check the wheel out. I have no such memory from the ride where the damage occured. The trail was rocky but not ridiculously so. I have no doubt a rock hit was involved but I don't think it was that severe. I rode out never knowing the damage was there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well it's been a couple days after contacting them with no response. Wasn't expecting much obviously but I was hoping they'd at least get in touch with me. Oh well, just a casualty of MTB'ing. The performance and price are worth the risk.

I'm going to upgrade my rims to the 35mm hookless variety. A set from light-bicycle is $424.35 shipped and has the option of "all mountain" or "downhill" models with the downhill model increasing the total to $440.91.

Carbonbicycle.cc seems to have a very similar (the same?) rims for $353.90 shipped. Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't go with the cheaper option?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Well it's been a couple days after contacting them with no response. Wasn't expecting much obviously but I was hoping they'd at least get in touch with me. Oh well, just a casualty of MTB'ing. The performance and price are worth the risk.

I'm going to upgrade my rims to the 35mm hookless variety. A set from light-bicycle is $424.35 shipped and has the option of "all mountain" or "downhill" models with the downhill model increasing the total to $440.91.

Carbonbicycle.cc seems to have a very similar (the same?) rims for $353.90 shipped. Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't go with the cheaper option?

You might want to also check out Nextie rims.
    Nextie Bike | Carbon Bicycle Devotion | Made in China

I have no relation to them other than being a customer. I recently had a rim develop holes around the a nipple hole. They replaced the rim, I only had to pay shipping.

There is a lot of talk about them in the fat bike forum as they make a "wild Dragon" fat bike carbon rim.

Just something to look at.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.