Page 244 of 252 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 6297
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse View Post
    Or am I better off just trying to seal it up with some of the stan's yellow tape?
    Yes!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I need this for a new rear wheel.

Where are you all ordering from?

I don't want to read all 300pages to verify the source. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    I need this for a new rear wheel.

Where are you all ordering from?

I don't want to read all 300pages to verify the source. :-)
    Light Bicycle

light bicycle-carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike Light-Bicycle

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi all
    Planning on upgrading wheels on my Epic comp carbon 2014. I ride mostly XC-type terrain and very rarely any rock gardens etc. Can I go with new bead hookless 29" 27mm or should I order same wheel on 30 mm? Im 6" 4and weigh around 200 lbs.
    28" or 32" holes? Any recommendations on hubs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would go 32 hole 30mm outside 24mm inside hookless rims about 400 grams each, give or take 5 grams. Project 321 hubs, Sapim Laser spokes with alloy nips 2 cross lacing.
    Killer wheel set, light, strong, great engagement and long lasting. Great bling factor!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse View Post
    Just got a hookless 29 with the 22 internal width. 28 hole and it only weighed 340 gm on my scale! Ordered it on the 7th and got it on the 26th so not bad. Looks really nice. I tried to search the thread, but I can't seem to find which rim strip is recommend. I thought I saw something about a bontrager strip fitting perfectly in these. Or am I better off just trying to seal it up with some of the stan's yellow tape?
    Just got my second set. First set for trail (AM version of hookless 29, 32 spokes, DTSWISS 350 hubs). Second set for XC (lighter version of hookless, 28 spokes, DTSWISS 240 hubs).

First wheelset has been nothing short of spectacular. Both wheelsets built up without issue.

New wheelset weighs 1440 grams! Lighter than ENVE M60 and 1700 dollars less. Mounted Spesh S Works Purgatory 2.3 on front and 2.1 S Works Ground Controls on back for blown out / super dry conditions here in SoCal. Bike is Pivot Mach 429 Carbon XT/XTR. Bike weight with KSLEV dropper post is 27 lbs. even.

Anyone hesitating to pull the trigger because of the "China" thing - give me a break. Heck, even my a Pivot carbon frame is made / manufactured in Asia. If you are on the fence, do it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Waiting for my new Frame Pivot Mach 429 in green, should be next week. It should build up at 24.5 with XX1, LB rims, Enve stem bars and seatpost. Enve rims are just way to much money at 1 k each. I wish I went lighter on my hubs "Hadley" like Project 321 or Dt Swiss 240.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Waiting for my new Frame Pivot Mach 429 in green, should be next week. It should build up at 24.5 with XX1, LB rims, Enve stem bars and seatpost. Enve rims are just way to much money at 1 k each. I wish I went lighter on my hubs "Hadley" like Project 321 or Dt Swiss 240.
    "I wish I went lighter on my hubs "Hadley" like Project 321 or Dt Swiss 240"

I have one set of Hadley hubs and two sets of DT Swiss 240's. If I was to do it all over again it would be Hadley for all three bikes. A few grams is worth it

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Has anyone ordered from carbonbicycle.cc? Seems like the same stuff/website but a bit cheaper. Any feedback would be great.

Carbon Bicycle,carbon frame,carbon rim,carbon wheel,carbon wheelset,carbon mountain bike,carbon road bike CarbonBicycle

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Nice! Green definitely makes the bike faster ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tubeless tire mounting experiences on various LB rim profiles?

Can anyone compare/contrast their tire mounting experiences on the various LB rim profiles? I'm specifically interested in differences among the three most common 29er versions:
    35mm hookless rim
    27mm hookless rim
    30mm "wider" hooked rim

I have lots of experience with various tires on the 30mm external width "wider" 29er rims. I'm hoping others with experience on both those older "wider" rims and the newer hookless rims could offer observations regarding tire mounting on the hookless models.

The 30mm external model has been OK w.r.t. tire mounting. I've tried it w/ the Bontrager strips and also with tape. Some tires (notably TNT versions of Geax) are impossible to mount, regardless of one's technique or experience. Others mount w/ some difficulty (Michelin). And in my experience none of them have aired up particularly easy.

Do the hookless profiles represent an improvement in this regard? Anyone mounted Geax TNT on either hookless model?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Can anyone compare/contrast their tire mounting experiences on the various LB rim profiles? I'm specifically interested in differences among the three most common 29er versions:
    35mm hookless rim
    27mm hookless rim
    30mm "wider" hooked rim

I have lots of experience with various tires on the 30mm external width "wider" 29er rims. I'm hoping others with experience on both those older "wider" rims and the newer hookless rims could offer observations regarding tire mounting on the hookless models.

The 30mm external model has been OK w.r.t. tire mounting. I've tried it w/ the Bontrager strips and also with tape. Some tires (notably TNT versions of Geax) are impossible to mount, regardless of one's technique or experience. Others mount w/ some difficulty (Michelin). And in my experience none of them have aired up particularly easy.

Do the hookless profiles represent an improvement in this regard? Anyone mounted Geax TNT on either hookless model?
    I just got a new LB wheelset today with 30/35 hookless rims. They were very easy in every way with Maxxis Ikon 2.35's. I used cheap tape and Stans Valves. They blew up fast and easy but I had a 105 psi 3 gal compressor and it makes a big difference.

Before these wheels I used Giant P-XC2 wheels with the same tires. I couldn't get them to seal with tape and any valve. I finally gave up and tried the split tube technique which was real easy. Later I heard that those Giant rims are easy with Trek Bontrager strips and valves.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Info on tracking shipments from LB into the USA. LB ships from China via EMS. Once it gets through USA customs, USPS gets it and, in my case, deliver the next day. EMS's tracking systems stops showing progress once the package goes to customs. However, you can enter the same tracking number in the USPS tracking system and it will track your package through delivery.

Lastly, my USPS mailman always deliver my mail around 4pm but he delivered the wheels at about 10am. I think he likes to get the bigger packages out of his truck and out of his way early. Since you have to sign for these packages, you might want to be around in the morning to do that.
    Last edited by dugt; 07-04-2014 at 01:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Received my LB hookless 30 mm ID weelset last week.
    Used Stans Yellow tape 21 mm(leftover from a previous wheelset) and American classic valves
    I managed to put a Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 on the rim with my bare hands and it was easy to inflate with a floorpump without removing the valve core and without milk.
    I still have to put in some Stan's however, the next day I have a flat tire.
    I am waiting for a Racing Ralf 2.25 and a Nobby Nick 2.35 but wich hopefully will mount as easily.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've yet to report on the performance of my new 30mm ID wheelset from LB. The performance exceeds my expectations. In fact, I'd say the performance has gone from adequate to perfect. I couldn't imagine being able to notice better performance out of wheels. I was using 2.35 Maxxis Ikon tires on good but heavy 19mm ID rims and they always felt soft when inflated to the low 20's psi. If I inflated more they were bouncy. With the new wider rims I inflate to 17 front and 19 rear and the performance is rock solid in corners. The traction is better and the ride cushion is about the same.

I was worried that the wider rims might be more vulnerable to rock damage but the tires are still much wider than the rims. The max width of the tires is 61mm and the rims are 35mm wide.

Climbing up steeper hills I feel a little more resistance. At first I thought it was because of less flex in the wheels but now I believe it is from better traction. When my tires would slip a little it kinda feels like a lower gear. Now that they are slipping less it feels like my lowest gear is higher. I didn't notice them slipping before but I am getting better Strava scores than before.

Downhill I feel a big improvement. It feels like I have much more precise control and it is easier to make sharper turns with these wheels.

I haven't noticed any flattening of the profile but my Maxxis Ikon tires have a very round profile. Also, the widest point has gone from 57mm to only 61mm in spite of the increase in ID of 11mm which is more than 50% (19mm to 30mm).

I've only been mt biking a couple of years so, although I try to be accurate and helpful, take anything I say with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by dugt; 07-10-2014 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was thinking of getting the light-bicycle 650b rims and building a light wheelset around them.
    But then i found a rather good deal for a wheelset with Duke rims. The price would be about the same and the duke rims are somewhat lighter. Duke seems to be some small french company, and there has been some good results in competitions with their rims.

Anyone has any experience with said rims? They are tempting to get, but im kind of concerned about the durability, as i would use them very regularly for training and xc racing.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Just got my second set. First set for trail (AM version of hookless 29, 32 spokes, DTSWISS 350 hubs). Second set for XC (lighter version of hookless, 28 spokes, DTSWISS 240 hubs).

First wheelset has been nothing short of spectacular. Both wheelsets built up without issue.

New wheelset weighs 1440 grams! Lighter than ENVE M60 and 1700 dollars less. Mounted Spesh S Works Purgatory 2.3 on front and 2.1 S Works Ground Controls on back for blown out / super dry conditions here in SoCal. Bike is Pivot Mach 429 Carbon XT/XTR. Bike weight with KSLEV dropper post is 27 lbs. even.

Anyone hesitating to pull the trigger because of the "China" thing - give me a break. Heck, even my a Pivot carbon frame is made / manufactured in Asia. If you are on the fence, do it!
    Hey what did your first set weigh; I assume you used the 35mm wide rims?
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

74 & 29 pilot
    Hey folks, I've used the Chinese carbon rims in 27.5 and Derby's wide rims in 29, and have a set of 27/22mm LBs on order for a lighter, stiffer set on my LES. I'm thinking of order the 30/24mm from the link above to replace the Derby's, trying to shave .30-.50 lbs, but I can't decide on the hubs. I think the Project 123 or I9 are the two I'm trying to choose between. Bling is not a factor. I can't figure out what the difference is though, same price and internals, but the 123 has a 3 year warranty.

Anybody got anything to convince me to go with one or the other?
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Hey what did your first set weigh; I assume you used the 35mm wide rims?
    About 390 grams for each rim. Didn't order the 35mm wide ones. Just these:

http://www.light-bicycle.com/bead-ho...l#.U7t4bNq9KSM

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Those are the 27mm rims. Most guys here seem interested in the 35mm rims.

Just thought I would mention.... Broke a spoke nipple over the weekend racing. Got a replacement on the way home and pulled everything apart to sort it out. While I had it apart I checked out all the nipples for corrosion. All looked good including the broken one. My wheelset is almost 6 months old. So even if corrosion shows up after a year, you could just swap out all the nipples for new ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    MTB Pilot,

Go with the new Pro 321 hubs, they do share the same 120 points of engagement drive system, but the Project 321 use angular bearings and have adjustable preload with better end caps. Better anodizing also, and better Warr. They are both great companies, but I think Project 321 rear hub is now better, and about the same weight.

74 & 29 pilot
    MTB Pilot,

Go with the new Pro 321 hubs, they do share the same 120 points of engagement drive system, but the Project 321 use angular bearings and have adjustable preload with better end caps. Better anodizing also, and better Warr. They are both great companies, but I think Project 321 rear hub is now better, and about the same weight.
    Cool, thanks! I was kind of leaning that way, and will probably be the end result.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also I like the Sapim laser spokes or CX Rays if you have the money, 2 cross for 29er carbon rims with alloy nips. Just my opinion!! Makes for a killer light weight/durable wheel combo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rusto View Post
    Has anyone ordered from carbonbicycle.cc? Seems like the same stuff/website but a bit cheaper. Any feedback would be great.
    I put in my order. 2/353.90
    Leadtime 10 days.

74 & 29 pilot
    Also I like the Sapim laser spokes or CX Rays if you have the money, 2 cross for 29er carbon rims with alloy nips. Just my opinion!! Makes for a killer light weight/durable wheel combo.
    SWEET! I'll look into them. The wheel set I'm trying to replace, I built with Derby wide rims(455g) DT Swiss 350 hubs, DT Swiss Comp DB Spokes and alloy nips. They weigh 1910g with valves and tape, which isn't bad for a wheel that could be used in a DH race, but for my everyday chunk, I want something still quite durable and lighter.

THANKS!!
    MTBP