Page 232 of 267 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 242 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 6663
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vokeswaagin View Post
    No, I spaced it.. Ill probably get it ordered up today though. Thanks for the reminder!
    I'd get the 54t ratchet upgrade from trek (part #436413...you need 2 btw). The engagement improvement is noticeable coming from the 36t. Anyone interested in my 36t kit?

mtbr member
    Holy cow this thread is long. Has anyone tried using the straight pull Novatec hubs? DS51SB and DS52SB to be exact.

My girlfriend is hell bent on buying some wheels to replace the Giant P-XCR29er 1's on her Anthem. Looking for a lightweight XC race wheel. I was thinking of trying the LB 29 hookless rim with those hubs and some of the Pillar Aero spokes. Looks like they would weigh in at roughly 1465 gm. I am assuming 360 gm each for the rims, 28 spokes F/R at 4.75 gm each, and 56 nipples at .3 gm each. Any advice on this build?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse View Post
    Holy cow this thread is long. Has anyone tried using the straight pull Novatec hubs? DS51SB and DS52SB to be exact.

My girlfriend is hell bent on buying some wheels to replace the Giant P-XCR29er 1's on her Anthem. Looking for a lightweight XC race wheel. I was thinking of trying the LB 29 hookless rim with those hubs and some of the Pillar Aero spokes. Looks like they would weigh in at roughly 1465 gm. I am assuming 360 gm each for the rims, 28 spokes F/R at 4.75 gm each, and 56 nipples at .3 gm each. Any advice on this build?
    Where do you intend to get the straight pull spokes from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    On the subject of spokes, anyone know where u can get Pillar X-tra lite ti spokes from?

Crash Dummy In Training
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    My bad. I thought Pillar had straight pull spokes. I didn't look at their site close enough. Guess I will have to go with the DT Swiss Aerolites.

Still interested in any info on the straight pull Novatec hubs.

mtbr member
    May 2009

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I'd get the 54t ratchet upgrade from trek (part #436413...you need 2 btw). The engagement improvement is noticeable coming from the 36t. Anyone interested in my 36t kit?
    Where did you get this new ratchets and $$$?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patrul View Post
    Wonder where he got? I have a feeling if you called a Trek dealer and gave them the part number, they could give you a price.

Man people have gotten lazy.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by patrul View Post
    I have read they charge $60 per ratchet, so $120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ballbuster

Wuh wuh wait a sec... so, you mean to say that our DT Swiss star ratchets that are 16 point stock, the DT upgrade is 36pt (which I have on all my DT hubs... great upgrade, btw!) can be upgraded further to 54 POE?

That is awesome!!

So, what can I expect to pay for this upgrayedd? I actually have one hub that is not upgraded to >16POE (yet).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Wuh wuh wait a sec... so, you mean to say that our DT Swiss star ratchets that are 16 point stock, the DT upgrade is 36pt (which I have on all my DT hubs... great upgrade, btw!) can be upgraded further to 54 POE?

That is awesome!!

So, what can I expect to pay for this upgrayedd? I actually have one hub that is not upgraded to >16POE (yet).

Thanks!
    yup. all good except the price... $128 for 54t upgrade ($60ea x 2 + tax). It's worth it to me though...I wanted faster engagement to minimize pedal clunk in the chunk.

ballbuster
    yup. all good except the price... $128 for 54t upgrade ($60ea x 2 + tax). It's worth it to me though...I wanted faster engagement to minimize pedal clunk in the chunk.
    Dang... and I thought $80 for the DT Swiss 36 pt was pricy... they were $35 for the longest time, then shot up. Maybe if I kill the star ratchets I have I'll do that.

WAWE
    Jan 2004

That is awesome!!

Thanks!
    18 x 1 = 18
    18 x 2 = 36
    18 x 3 = 54

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just received my set of LB Hookless 29er rims today. 32H, UD Matte, 27mm wide, XC. 342g/352g on my scale.

Ordered April 3, shipped April 19, received April 22. Just under 3 weeks all-in. Is this a record?

Will be built up with DT Revs and King Hubs. Can't wait!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Noticed that carbonal rims have a metal wire in the bead. Searching for more feedback, not much found - gimmick, or useful?

Seems like a nice wide rim, typical chinese direct price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Noticed that carbonal rims have a metal wire in the bead. Searching for more feedback, not much found - gimmick, or useful?

Carbonal, Nextie, & XMIplay appear to be all the same, just different sellers. I chose Nextie because the communication was excellent and the warranty is 2 years. Not many miles on them yet but so far they are great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I would say gimmick. Less carbon and a wire isn't going to prevent the carbon from damage if you have a rock strike.

I'd think hookless would be better considering the layup appears to be stronger.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    18 x 1 = 18
    18 x 2 = 36
    18 x 3 = 54

...and all with free bonus diminishing returns included!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    ...and all with free bonus diminishing returns included!
    18 = 1/1 beef
    36 = 1/2 beef
    54 = 1/3 beef

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

My guess is the wire is an easy way to build up a hook for the rim profile. TwoTone is probably right and its being spun as a marketing ploy. Might as well point it out as a value added product if you can spin it that way. Then again, I could be totally wrong and it really has some structural benefit.

I'm going with the hookless variety regardless. I'm liking the added meat in the edge. Looks like a winner considering the rocks in my area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Did you guys see that YaMon has a hookless prototype going with his co. Atomic now? There is a new article on the rims over on BikeRumor. Looks like either the super big-hooked model wasn't working out as planned, or else it might just be that market pressure is really swinging in the hookless direction now, after some initial skepticism, so companies may just be worried about being left out. They apparently still use that layer of "vibration damping" material that was shown in the first design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    Did you guys see that YaMon has a hookless prototype going with his co. Atomic now? There is a new article on the rims over on BikeRumor. Looks like either the super big-hooked model wasn't working out as planned, or else it might just be that market pressure is really swinging in the hookless direction now, after some initial skepticism, so companies may just be worried about being left out. They apparently still use that layer of "vibration damping" material that was shown in the first design.
    Yea, Yamon changed his name on this site to Atomik Carbon..
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    Is this the doo$hnozzle that first tried to make money by importing LB and marking them up, then didn't like the business so started trashing them everywhere, has been railing against hookless rims all over this forum, making s**t up out of thin air and trying to sound like an expert on everything from wheelbuilding to corrosion and anodizing, and was going to get into carbon lacrosse sticks for "rich morons who don't pay attention" (the way he referred to potential customers)?
    That's somebody I want to support for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Is this the doo$hnozzle that first tried to make money by importing LB and marking them up, then didn't like the business so started trashing them everywhere, has been railing against hookless rims all over this forum, making s**t up out of thin air and trying to sound like an expert on everything from wheelbuilding to corrosion and anodizing, and was going to get into carbon lacrosse sticks for "rich morons who don't pay attention" (the way he referred to potential customers)?
    That's somebody I want to support for sure.
    Know whats even funnier? The fact that Yamon changed his name to his official "Atomik carbon" business name.. yet all his posts still exist of him trashing the same designs he is now promoting.. and now all those posts point to his new business....

Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    This hookless thing is just plain stupid and wrong on so many fronts......First of all Specialized did this as a cost savings measure, not an upgrade for performance. Second, when the rim loses the bead hook, the only thing keeping the tire on is the air pressure, lose the air pressure and the tire will burp or roll off. Those of you that are running higher pressures need not worry. Third, when you have a bead hook, the tire AND the bead hook share the load and work together. You are not stressing the tire alone. Fourth, by losing the bead hook you are losing lateral stiffness. The thickness of the bead accomplishes this, just like how an angle extrusion works....

To answer the ridiculous statement that cars don't, have bead hooks.....well a car tire also has much stiffer sidewall and beads. Racing Off Road trucks do in fact have bead locks.......so stupid analogy. Don't think that every new development is a good one, some are just plain stupid.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ha. I just came here to post up about the Atomik hookless rims. Oh, the joy it brings my dark heart.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.