Page 220 of 262 FirstFirst ... 120 170 210 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 230 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 6526
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    I was wrestling with the same question for a long time. I had hoped they would make a rim width between 27 and 35. I eventually decided to go with the 27 mm width since it is closer to what I have and seems better suited for my riding (aggressive XC to trail, some races, no big jumps). Several respected opinions still consider this to be a sweet spot for rim size (Specialized, GrannyGear on Twentynineinches.com, etc.). The 35 mm just seemed to be a bit extreme for me - the largest tire I'll ever run is probably 2.35, and I worry about exposing the sidewalls to the rocks any more than they already are.

So I just ordered a pair of the 27 mm hookless rims from LB off eBay. They quoted 12 days for fab and 4 - 7 for shipping.
    I echo this whole post. I have tried different rim widths with 2.25's and don't think wider is always better given a specific tire size. I think it is the tire profile, the contact patch gets too wide for either the lug pattern or the way the plies of the tire carcass are laid up. That may be inaccurate but lets just say it just doesn't feel right to me.

I may go with the 22mm internal rims in the end but wish they made some that were 24 or 25, because then it would be an easy choice. Just sticking with my Flows for now though.

mtbr member
    How long did it take to get your LB rims once they shipped? Did the tracking info they provided track the shipment all the way to your house? The reason I ask is my rims were shipped on the 19th and it does not look like they have even made it to our shores yet...Just wanted to see what every one else's experience has been...

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    How long did it take to get your LB rims once they shipped? Did the tracking info they provided track the shipment all the way to your house? The reason I ask is my rims were shipped on the 19th and it does not look like they have even made it to our shores yet...Just wanted to see what every one else's experience has been...

6 days I'm in California if that makes any difference it looks like your tracking info is stalled mine did that for a couple days then a couple days ago it updated to current time.
    After mine were delivered I checked and it already showed them being delivered.
    Unless yours get kept in Customs for awhile you should have them this week yours shipped a day before mine.
    Did you order rims only or wheel set ?
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Order my LB rims Feb 28th, they shipped March 20th and arrived in San Francisco on the 25th. They are now on their way to Colorado via USPS priority express

mtbr member
    Hmmm...I only ordered Rims and I'm in NY...

Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post
    6 days I'm in California if that makes any difference it looks like your tracking info is stalled mine did that for a couple days then a couple days ago it updated to current time.
    After mine were delivered I checked and it already showed them being delivered.
    Unless yours get kept in Customs for awhile you should have them this week yours shipped a day before mine.
    Did you order rims only or wheel set ?

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Order my LB rims Feb 28th, they shipped March 20th and arrived in San Francisco on the 25th. They are now on their way to Colorado via USPS priority express
    Ya mine got to San Francisco on the 24th and left on the 25th and they were here today but I'm less than 2 hours from SF.
    So ours came over together on the same shipment how funny.
    Hmmm...I only ordered Rims and I'm in NY...
    Okay then you should get yours in a couple days yours are most likely on the same shipment as ours..
    ​​

get down!
    I got my rims yesterday 03-26-2014 and ordered from eBay on 03-13-2014.

LB Hookless 27mm outer 22mm inner. Weight was 361grams, 361 grams, 347 grams. 32 Hole. Matte UD.

SUPER FAST. Well packed. Look great. Completely happy currenlty. Hope they build up easily.

ERD is 594/595 claimed at 592 which adds 1mm to spoke length.

I'm ordering spokes based on 594 since I'm not sure my method of calculating is that precise. I cut two spokes to 200mm but not sure how many mm they may be off since I cut with some Park cable cutters. Using the Musson method... at least I think that's his name. Dude that does the eBook.

Anyway, when the spokes get here I'll let you know how it goes.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

i have 286 all the way

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by manninen View Post

i have 286 all the way
    That's not what your calculation says.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    but my spokes are

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

i have 286 all the way
    whats the reasoning you just didnt do 286 and 288?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    trusted erd592. i think 1.8mm messing nipple will last on my spoke count

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So, my light-bicycle built wheels came yesterday. Hope hubs, aero spokes. AM wide hookless 29er's. Took them to my local shop and tensioned them. The spoke tensions seem crazy low. Front non-disk side was reading 3-5 on the Park gauge, with most reading 4. Front disk side was reading 9-12, with most around 10. Seemed to be crazy low tension. Rear was similar. Rode around my street a little and already threw the rear out of true. Dropped them off at my wheel builder to double check and possible re-tension both wheels. Can't get recommended tensions from Light Bicycle (other than max of 180Kgf), reading that some have gone with 110-120 Kgf as their build tension. Right now, according to park spoke calc, and tensioner, my low tension is under 50 Kgf. I am a clydes, so I think high tension would be better? Should I redo them closer to 110 on the high side, and about 90 on the low??? Thanks

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Yes 110 would be good for a clyde on the high side.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Clyde here. I rarely go over 110 when I build myself wheels. I shoot for 95-100

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    I got my rims yesterday 03-26-2014 and ordered from eBay on 03-13-2014.

LB Hookless 27mm outer 22mm inner. Weight was 361grams, 361 grams, 347 grams. 32 Hole. Matte UD.

SUPER FAST. Well packed. Look great. Completely happy currenlty. Hope they build up easily.

ERD is 594/595 claimed at 592 which adds 1mm to spoke length.

I'm ordering spokes based on 594 since I'm not sure my method of calculating is that precise. I cut two spokes to 200mm but not sure how many mm they may be off since I cut with some Park cable cutters. Using the Musson method... at least I think that's his name. Dude that does the eBook.

Anyway, when the spokes get here I'll let you know how it goes.
    Has the rim design changed? That seems awfully small to me. IIRC, mine were 604mm ERD and I used 290-292 -ish spokes for my hubs.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Has the rim design changed? That seems awfully small to me. IIRC, mine were 604mm ERD and I used 290-292 -ish spokes for my hubs.
    Were yours the Cross Country ?
    These are the newer hook less style.
    I remember when I first looked at LB rims the Cross Country were 604 ERD.
    ​​

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    trusted erd592. i think 1.8mm messing nipple will last on my spoke count
    they will be close to long enough, and the brass nipples appear to be strong enough to handle a few less threads holding the spoke in (from what i've read anyway).

any reason you went supercomps over normal comps? for your situation (too-short spokes), the reduced strength of the supercomps (i.e. smaller diameter at the threads) is exactly where you don't need it.

it might be worthwhile buying some longer nipples. the design of the longer dt-swiss nipples (i am not sure if it is their alloy or brass ones, or both) allow for shorter spokes. ie. vs 12mm nipples, the 14mm take 1mm shorter spokes, the 16mm take 2mm shorter spokes. i could upload the photo from the wheel pro wheelbuilding book (which shows cutaways of the different length dt nipples) which shows this, but i am not gonna rip off the guy that helped me so much with learning to build wheels.

Wheelbuilding book for building bicycle wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovershack View Post
    So, my light-bicycle built wheels came yesterday. Hope hubs, aero spokes. AM wide hookless 29er's. Took them to my local shop and tensioned them. The spoke tensions seem crazy low. Front non-disk side was reading 3-5 on the Park gauge, with most reading 4. Front disk side was reading 9-12, with most around 10. Seemed to be crazy low tension. Rear was similar. Rode around my street a little and already threw the rear out of true. Dropped them off at my wheel builder to double check and possible re-tension both wheels. Can't get recommended tensions from Light Bicycle (other than max of 180Kgf), reading that some have gone with 110-120 Kgf as their build tension. Right now, according to park spoke calc, and tensioner, my low tension is under 50 Kgf. I am a clydes, so I think high tension would be better? Should I redo them closer to 110 on the high side, and about 90 on the low??? Thanks
    So, my wheel builder checked them out and felt that the tension that they came with was fine. He also mentioned that they were super stiff. I took them and road a super technical trail here in Denver called Dakota Ridge, super chuck, rocky, 2-3' drops and they handled it all with no complaint. I am happy so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also, super fast tubeless set up with NO issues at all. Ran a strip of Gorilla tape, threw in the Stan's valve stems and the seated up just fine. These are the bead hookless 35mm outer width rims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I got mine on order with the undrilled rim bed. We'll see how the build goes, I'm expecting it to take an extra couple hours for sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ok letīs cut theory at this point. ok iīve build only 2 carbon wheel now and for me they are bit different to build than dual eyelet aluminum ones. when i get the build done i take pictures at nipples which shows where spoke are.

but NDS side is 1-2mm too short at this point and spoke shouldnīt go over the nipple

super comp was just because iīve never done those before, first choice was alpineIII

and isnīt 1.8mm nipple stronger than 2mm?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, you'd think the nipple was stronger, but the spoke wouldn't be. i have heard stories of supercomps failing where they come out of the nipple (i.e. at the threads)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I take risks everyday when i woke up

more seriously. my friend said itīs ok super comps for me, he is tough rider and has not broke any of those

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i take risks everyday too - but try to avoid ones that there is little to no benefit of taking