Page 214 of 267 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 224 264 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,350 of 6654
    mtbr member

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    What car is that?
    Chevelle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    What car is that?
    It's a 1946 Mercury Eight Convertible. Almost fully restored. Let me know if you want to buy it... no good place for a bike rack though :/

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    After several emails with questions etc. I ordered mine on February 11th. Went with the 29er 35mm DH rimes listed at 460g (+/- 15g). Received ebay notification of shipping on March 4th with a tracking number. They just arrived today (March 8th) in Auburn, CA. They weighed in at 462g and 466g respectively. Looking to have them laced and set up tubeless with 120tpi Knards and on the trail within a couple weeks.

Attachment 875479

Attachment 875480

Attachment 875481

Attachment 875482

Attachment 875483
    Sweet mine are coming to Roseville so I hope I get them just as fast.
    On eBay it estimated delivery by the 27 th of March but I doubt that.
    Got to get these Chris King hub's off my desk tired of looking at them.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    did you guys who have rims coming in the mail order spokes yet, or are you waiting to get your rims to measure first? I have a set of the 650b wide rims on order and I'm debating when to order the spokes and nipples.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    After several emails with questions etc. I ordered mine on February 11th. Went with the 29er 35mm DH rimes listed at 460g (+/- 15g). Received ebay notification of shipping on March 4th with a tracking number. They just arrived today (March 8th) in Auburn, CA. They weighed in at 462g and 466g respectively. Looking to have them laced and set up tubeless with 120tpi Knards and on the trail within a couple weeks.

Attachment 875479

Attachment 875480

Attachment 875481

Attachment 875482

Attachment 875483
    Dahhhh! I ordered 1/30 and email Katrin regularly, but keep getting excuses. The rims are in sanding, they're almost done and we'll get you a tracking number when they ship.

I thought mine would be here (AZ) and built by now. New baby next week so even if they arrive soon I'm not riding soon.

Frustrated with waiting, but glad you got your rims.

posted from my mobile device

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
    did you guys who have rims coming in the mail order spokes yet, or are you waiting to get your rims to measure first? I have a set of the 650b wide rims on order and I'm debating when to order the spokes and nipples.
    I'm waiting to measure first.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just for reference, I ordered my hookless 29 XC rims on January 17th. They shipped out on March 5th and They showed up at my door on March 8th. Don't forget there was a 2 week Chinese new year in between that order where the factory shut down.

The rims weighed in at 351g and 352 grams. I measured the ERD at 595mm on both, and it was the same at all 3 measurements I took on each rim.

I just placed my order for spokes. I would recommend measuring your rims before ordering spokes. Light bicycle's website states that the hookless 29 rims have an ERD of 592, so had I ordered spokes they would have been a bit short.

Epic rider

Quote Originally Posted by rjkowski View Post
    The rims weighed in at 351g and 352 grams.
    Did you request light versions?
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ordered the 27mm XC version of the rims. I'm building up a set of wheels for my cyclocross/gravel grinder bike so I don't need the wide model. I ordered them with a 3k weave matte finish.

HTFU!
    I also waited to order spokes. Going with DT Aerolites and DT Swiss 240 hubs... then 960 gram Surly Knards (doh!).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    29er 20MM depth 30 width carbon wheelset

Maybe you can have a look

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy1010 View Post
    lol, A 23mm wide rim is being marketed as "V-KING DIY 29" Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike 20MM Clincher Carbon MTB Wheels Wheelset".

Why not market it as a 7mm rim? That makes as much sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update and paging @brucebrown. I've been having issues with my tires blowing off LB rims. I have the 29er wide AM regular ones. I have the BruceBrown approved Bontrager rim strips/valves. I have VeeeRubber Speed R tires in size 2.4 that no one has ever heard of. I weigh 215. I want to run 35 psi. I have had at least two occasions on both the front and the rear where the tire has blown off JRA. Fortunately, usually pre or post ride in the parking lot. 2 shops mechs can find nothing wrong of course. My trouble is that there is so much new going on here, I don't know if its the tires or the rims. I can find nothing wrrong with the tims, although I am wondering if a pass of gorilla tape can't hurt on top or under the bontrager strip. Or is the tire the more likely offender.... I'd like something a little meaty, but mostly XC stuff. Any ideas? Also at this point should I be posting under the light bicycles thread ??

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    lol, A 23mm wide rim is being marketed as "V-KING DIY 29" Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike 20MM Clincher Carbon MTB Wheels Wheelset".

Why not market it as a 7mm rim? That makes as much sense.
    It's 30mm wide (OD) and has 20mm depth, as the specs (and the link you quoted) state. Seeing rim depth in mtb circles may confuse you a bit, but most of these manufacturers started making road rims, where depth is a common spec to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    It is the tires. I have 3 sets of LB 29 original rims all with Bontrager rim strips. I have run many many tires on them with never an incident of a blow off. I generally put 40 psi in them when I am seating the bead. This weekend, I was trying to mount 2 older 2.4 Racing Ralphs (they haven't made them for about a year and a half) that I bought barely used from someone in the tire swap thread. Both of them repeatedly blew off on the right side at around 30-35 psi. I am sure the cause was that the bead on one side was made too big since it was noticeably easier to get the tire on the wheel if I put the left side on first. The right side would slip on with relative ease. For further evidence that it is the bead on these 2 tires that is the problem, I also have an identical 2.4 RR that I bought new that I have mounted at least 4 times on these rims and at 40 psi that has never had this problem in any way.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman View Post
    Update and paging @brucebrown. I've been having issues with my tires blowing off LB rims. I have the 29er wide AM regular ones. I have the BruceBrown approved Bontrager rim strips/valves. I have VeeeRubber Speed R tires in size 2.4 that no one has ever heard of. I weigh 215. I want to run 35 psi. I have had at least two occasions on both the front and the rear where the tire has blown off JRA. Fortunately, usually pre or post ride in the parking lot. 2 shops mechs can find nothing wrong of course. My trouble is that there is so much new going on here, I don't know if its the tires or the rims. I can find nothing wrrong with the tims, although I am wondering if a pass of gorilla tape can't hurt on top or under the bontrager strip. Or is the tire the more likely offender.... I'd like something a little meaty, but mostly XC stuff. Any ideas? Also at this point should I be posting under the light bicycles thread ??
    Why do you want to run 35psi?

I have the same rims. I use Stan's tape only. I weigh 235 geared up. I use 28psi rear 20-22psi front. If I ride to the trail from my house which adds an hour and has a very very steep uphill for four miles I will put 30 psi in the rear.

Try less psi. That's my best advice. Especially if you are running it tubeless.
    Pivot Mach 6
    Yeti SB95C
    1993 Brodie Expresso-For Sale
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    It's 30mm wide (OD) and has 20mm depth, as the specs (and the link you quoted) state. Seeing rim depth in mtb circles may confuse you a bit, but most of these manufacturers started making road rims, where depth is a common spec to see.
    The measurement that matters on these rims is the inner width of 23mm. Their emphasis on outer width and depth makes me trust the company less. Either they have no clue about what their customers are interested in, or they are deliberately emphasizing numbers that are, at best, useless. Quite frequently, less knowledgeable buyers are mislead by the outer width spec. And that's why the manufactures do it. Otherwise customers looking for wide rims would choose another brand which was quoting a seemingly wider width.

Lots of companies, including light-bicycle, also use outer width as their go to spec. In my opinion, they are all doing it to deliberately mislead customers.

Remember when TV and computer monitor manufactures advertised 27" screens that were actually 25.1" viewable? 21" was more like 19", etc. The loophole was that the cathode ray tubes were indeed that size. Yet it was impossible to use the entire CRT. Yep, that was equally dishonest. But everyone was doing it so everyone continued doing it. At some point it took legislation to force manufacturers to advertise screen size as the actual usable screen size.

Legislation is unlikely for bicycle specs. But we should at least mock companies whenever they advertise products using misleading specs.

mtbr member
    I care about inner width not outer width, but pretty much every rim I look at lists outer as the main measurement and then you have to hunt for the inner value.

I don't consider it a scam or anything underhanded.

As long as an accurate inner measurement is available on the product page I'm happy.

It's not nearly as confusing or problematic than the variations between stated and actual tire widths.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

transmitter~receiver
    It's your tires. The bead is probably stretched or broken.
    35 psi is pretty high, especially in a 2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ok, will switch the tires. Am I correct if I buy RR 2.4 new, I shouldn't have a problem? I know, everybody thinks I am crazy, but I hate the squirmy feeling I feel in the rear once I get below 30PSI. Thanks!

jv

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not a scam? We certainly have different expectations for honesty.

As an early adopter of carbon rims, many people have come to me asking for purchasing advice for their next wheelset. They say they want a wider rim than their current rims and are looking at the cheap carbon options. Without exception, every single one of them has mistakenly used the outer width spec to compare the options currently on the market.

And that's why the carbon mountain bike rim manufacturers do it. They know the mountain biking world is moving to wider rims and thus choose to emphasize a meaningless spec that makes their rims look wider. They can somewhat justify it as a leftover from the road bike era and the era of rim brakes. Yet I doubt that's the real reason. Instead, they just don't want to make their rims look less modern (less wide) than the competition.

While they are not making factually incorrect statements, I still consider this to be a form of dishonesty.

Someday, just maybe, mountain bike rims might be advertised without the misleading outer width spec.

(but seriously, it could happen)

Edit:

On a related topic, someone mentioned honesty/consistency in tire specs. I was happy to see maxxis resize some (all?) of their tires a couple years ago. They were previously claiming their tires were wider than they actually were. The transition to more accurate/honest specs was a bit confusing but people caught on pretty quickly.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    You probably won't find new RR 2.4. They quit making them close to 2 years ago and then they made 2.35 and they quit making them about 6 months ago and the widest you can get now are 2.25. You can still find the 2.35 though.

mtbr member
    Ok, will switch the tires. Am I correct if I buy RR 2.4 new, I shouldn't have a problem? I know, everybody thinks I am crazy, but I hate the squirmy feeling I feel in the rear once I get below 30PSI. Thanks!

jv
    I run a RaRa 2.4 up front on a Light bicycles wider rim, no problem. I run a 2.24 on the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    You probably won't find new RR 2.4. They quit making them close to 2 years ago and then they made 2.35 and they quit making them about 6 months ago and the widest you can get now are 2.25. You can still find the 2.35 though.
    There's still some out there

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I run my RR 2.4 on the front of my full rigid SS on a LB wider rim with Bontrager strip. Over 650 miles with that combo with no issues. I liked it so well that is why I bought the other 2 from someone on the tire trade thread. I was sad to find out that they were useless because even though I generally run less than 28 PSI on the rear and 25 PSI on the front, I can't trust a tire that repeatedly blows off the rim at 30-35 psi. I am sure that it is a manufacturing problem with whatever batch these 2 tires came from, but since I am not the original purchaser, I don't really have a warranty claim with Schwalbe.