Page 20 of 266 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

100 miles

Have about 100 or so miles on these rims and just can't get over how well they perform. The reduction in rotating weight is the thing I notice the most.

If I have to replace the rims in the future I would do it. Just can see myself going back to alloy rims.

Bro Mountainbiker
    250 gram tubulars? Maybe for cross
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    I know this is the 29er forum, but seems to be the official thread for these rims...They will be selling the wider version of the 26" rims towards the end of the month per Nancy at light-bicycle for anyone interested.
    I'm interested, very very interested. Although actually buying a set has to wait a little while, put a deposit on a frame and bought a set of 55s this week... my wallet's feeling a little creeky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mat g View Post
    I could'nt resist to do a real nice matching copy!

How did you get ahold of just the roval rim?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just built up a rear 28 spoke, DT 240 hub, CX Ray spokes with DT Prolock aluminum nips. Built up very easy. Rounder then the crests I built 8 months ago and very very true. Only thing was some of the spoke holes were a bit tight but the nips pulled through fine as it was brought up into tension. Weight without valves or tape was 792. So far I am impressed. Will get the front built up sometime next week and get some miles on them and get a report in a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    A few pics

Did you have these built up by Deon at little Ade's? Swear I saw these there today on a beautiful blue carbon stumpy!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    How did you get ahold of just the roval rim?
    At my LBS, last fall, a pair of these was laying on the basement, waiting for me. But suddently, one was sold for replacement crash. I buy the last one and order another one this spring. But... the price was raised at a point that no one can affort them! So I keep the first roval and find this thread..., and order a chinese rim (on ebay, but not in china, by a seller who visit this thread).

I mounted the chinese AM yesterday. It end up very true but the interior (bead seat) seems to be unround. I will take a video to show you what I mean.

I know..., my name on the rim is so ugly! And yes, the powertap have a custom made 140mm disk!

mat g

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tonloc08 View Post
    Did you have these built up by Deon at little Ade's? Swear I saw these there today on a beautiful blue carbon stumpy!?
    Sure did! Sadly my Stumpy isn't carbon though, just plain ole AL.

There may be some sort of group order in the future through Ades to save on shipping. Dion mentioned building a set for himself, my friend Nick is prob going with these and eventually there will be others!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Do guys like the no logo/decal look?

I'm going to admit I'm guilty of really liking all the flashy wheel designs out there right now. Some custom stickers would be pretty sweet.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did this set come out to price wise? Or better yet, how much of a savings did you see over similar sets. (e.g. Spec. Roval)

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by gcavy1 View Post

I'm going to admit I'm guilty of really liking all the flashy wheel designs out there right now. Some custom stickers would be pretty sweet.
    No, I can't stand the oversized logos plastered all over rims, it's just screams, look at me I want your attention.

I'll take the stealth look all day long.
    beaver hunt

meh

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did this set come out to price wise? Or better yet, how much of a savings did you see over similar sets. (e.g. Spec. Roval)
    stealth looks so much better imo

you can go to light-bikes website to price them with shipping to your location, and compare to what you can find for another rim, nothing hidden there...150 for a normal rim, 155 for the wide, and prob around 50 for shipping, so 350-360 a set, spokes/nipples/hubs is a variable that can swing depending on components chosen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mat g View Post
    I mounted the chinese AM yesterday. It end up very true but the interior (bead seat) seems to be unround. I will take a video to show you what I mean.
    Mine are the same way. I didn't put the indicator on the bead seat to see how far out of round, but I'm not worried about considering how out of round tires are.

I'm all about the clean look. No stickers or 3k/12k weave anywhere for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    stealth looks so much better imo

you can go to light-bikes website to price them with shipping to your location, and compare to what you can find for another rim, nothing hidden there...150 for a normal rim, 155 for the wide, and prob around 50 for shipping, so 350-360 a set, spokes/nipples/hubs is a variable that can swing depending on components chosen
    yeah, I'm aware of the prices on the rims and their wheelsets. I guess I don't know what a wheel builder typically charges. I saw that the wheels above have American Classic hubs, etc...

So I was just curious what I higher end build like this comes out to. Seems like with components like that, they're really not much cheaper than the Rovals.

Am I off here?

Clearly they're cheaper than the EC90/Havens/Enve etc...

mtbr member
    yeah, I'm aware of the prices on the rims and their wheelsets. I guess I don't know what a wheel builder typically charges. I saw that the wheels above have American Classic hubs, etc...

So I was just curious what I higher end build like this comes out to. Seems like with components like that, they're really not much cheaper than the Rovals.

Am I off here?

Still comes out quite a bit cheaper.

$350 for rims
    $400 for hubs (rough guess on the AC price)
    $64 for spokes assuming 32h (or about $150-$200 for cx-ray or aerolite)
    $15 for nipples
    $40-$70 build labor if you're not doing it yourself.

So still significantly cheaper than rovals.

As for the hubs, if you don't care for slightly heavier weight, imo go for the Hadley hubs.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Am I off here? .
    I know US prices are less, but here in Euroland a set of Roval carbons runs more than $2000usd, by my estimates a set of these with mid price hubs (pro 2 or similar) could be had around $6-700, so potentially a lot of change left over.

the train keeps rollin
    I think you are comparing Alloy rim Rovals, the carbon version retail for $1700.
    beaver hunt

meh

Am I off here?

im building a set with hadleys...say $350 for the rims, got a rear hub for $200 front $130 (found some deals on the cheap side, prob add about $100 to this normally), say $1.30 a spoke and nipple (without shopping around) on 32h is about $83, comes to around $763 in materials, roughly half the cost of the Rovals msrp at $1550

not sure what the labor charge for a build would be for you, add $100 to that and you are still beating the Rovals by a chunk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    About flashing stickers, I painted mine because I want to macth them with my front roval one... Yes it screams a lot!
    mat g

mtbr member
    A few pics

Do you know the specs on your spoke lengths? I'm thinking along the lines of doing what you did with the AM hubs (considering the hubs are relatively priced)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Without spilling the beans on the deal my LBS gives me on parts, my set came in under 1K. The Roval Control Trail SL 142+ wheelset retails for $1700 and the dealer cost is over 1K, under $1300 (I don't want to spill those beans either).

The AC hubs are fairly solid on their prices unless you happen to come across some great deal online I don't know about.

So as far as price goes, there is nothing that compares even if you get the Roval's at dealer cost which is what I was originally going to do.

I would rather have had the Specialized/DT Swiss hubs or just plain DT 240s, but the extra cost was not worth it at this point. This will be the first rear AC hub I have used so the jury is out for a long time on this one.

I like the no sticker look, but if there was a simple design I would not be against it. Also, the 3K weave IMO doesn't jump out at ya from typical viewing distance. You have to be fairly close to notice it.

Also, about tires seating. I have Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL-R 2.25 Snake Skins. I use the Slime Pro system exclusively. I have had mixed results on getting tires to seat with a floor pump in the past, but most will go on. I used Stan's 25mm yellow tape, installed myself for the 1st time. The tires would not seat with a floor pump even after brushing some sealant around the bead and rim cavity. With an air compressor they went no problem, BUT there was no noticeable POP like I usually get. Instead I heard multiple (probably around 10) small pops. I did NOT add sealant in any amount other than brushing some on like mentioned. I inflated to 60psi and let them sit over night. To my surprise the tires held air wonderfully over night, actually barely lost any pressure. It has now been 3 days and they are still holding great.

On my only test ride they spun up fast and felt weightless compared to OEM aluminum wheels in the ~1800gr range.

Another note, I used Stan's tubeless valve and the inner valve hole in the rim (the one in the cavity) is 6mm which is the same diameter of a presta valve. Stan's valve has a rubber cone that sits in the valve hole but will not really sit down in the hole to seal properly at 6mm. I had to use a dremel tool with an abrasive bit to open the hole slightly for the cone to drop in a bit more. I am currently exchanging emails with Nancy about this and discussing options. If you care to provide your input on this please do so here.

If everyone can start to list their spoke tension that would be great since that seems to be still up in the air.
    Last edited by bquinn; 02-22-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Spoke length was 603 IIRC.

Not possible. Rim ERD is in the 600-603 range. Spoke length shouldf be about 290mm give or take a few.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    funny thing is these look just like my carbon rovals once I got rid of my ugly red stickers
    my rims came in at 375 grams so these look like a steal

Sj
    p.s getting the stickers off a carbon roval is not worth your time
    Stickers? My graphics seem to be silk screened on to the rim (paint or ink).

How did you get them off? Heat? Lacquer thinner?

I want to remove mine and paint the red spokes black.

I like stealth wheels over circus wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Not possible. Rim ERD is in the 600-603 range. Spoke length shouldf be about 290mm give or take a few.
    Sorry, I gave my builder the 603erd and he went from there. Not sure the spoke length.
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CerveloMikey View Post
    Stickers? My graphics seem to be silk screened on to the rim (paint or ink).

How did you get them off? Heat? Lacquer thinner?

I want to remove mine and paint the red spokes black.

I like stealth wheels over circus wheels!
    I have a solution for you: just to order a complete set all in black to Nancy!
    mat g

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got my 29er wide UD matte rims. They are 384g and 389g. Sweet.

Page 20 of 266 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast