Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 2,000 of 8345
    WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Where are you guys getting your Sapim CX-Rays for these? Online I've been able to find the straight pull CX-Rays in the lenghts I need in Silver for ~$1 per spoke but I'd prefer black and that seems to make the price jump to ~$3-4 per spoke!

Who has silver for $1 ?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    .......As a neophyte, could I get some advice/recommendations as to spoke configuration, type, ERD (wide 29er) so I can get the order in shape? These will see AM, rocky use, and I don't know whether 2X or 3X is preferred, given that my purpose in going to C-rims in the first place is stiffness. Also, i will be using Hope Pro2 EVO's-32hole.
    Finally, what tubeless stem are you liking?
    My builder used 292 D T Swiss Comps on the Pro 2 front with no problems. Gonna use the 292s on the rear too. 602/603 ERD. 3 X pattern. I think the EVO will be the same...? Gonna use WTB stems because thats what I have..... and Bonty rhythm rimstrips. Hope that helps!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey thanks! Way easy!

Meltingfeather, another dumb question...
    So is the dish just 3.5mm on either side additional? The wheel isn't dished any differently? Seems there an opportunity to redish the wheel so there's more angle on the drive side spokes, yeah?
    I think I answered this in your other thread, but all the wheelbuilding dimensions are identical because they are from center. It is the same hub shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

transmitter~receiver
    Thanks, I re-read earlier posts about the washers also, and the concensus was...not needed.
    I agree (and probably offered a "not needed" opinion)
    As a neophyte, could I get some advice/recommendations as to spoke configuration, type, ERD (wide 29er) so I can get the order in shape? These will see AM, rocky use, and I don't know whether 2X or 3X is preferred, given that my purpose in going to C-rims in the first place is stiffness. Also, i will be using Hope Pro2 EVO's-32hole.
    3x is standard rec. 2x works fine. It is slightly lighter and slightly stiffer, neither of which you could detect (IMO).
    I cut mine out of tubes. Anything else is a waste of money, IMO.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Wow, that's the first time I've heard of doing that. I'm used to the Mavic nutted valve stem, and tried the Stans stem, but I got a bit 'o leakage from it, so went back to Mavic's. Could you splain how that works?

Ballstein Models
    Has anyone done a rim swap on a set of wheels built with Flows? ERD on the flows is 600 versus the light bikes 603. I did a rum swap on a wheelset that had Arch's and it went allright. Spokes were almost too long in some cases.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    this. I too cut mine out of old tubes. the only time I have used a "special valve" was when one came with a mavic 817 rim. I did one time buy a batch of 20" Q-tubes brand (I think) tubes that were on sale (a few dollars each) for the removable cores. so I guess that would count as buying some valves to use especially for tubeless.

transmitter~receiver
    Wow, that's the first time I've heard of doing that. I'm used to the Mavic nutted valve stem, and tried the Stans stem, but I got a bit 'o leakage from it, so went back to Mavic's. Could you splain how that works?
    Mavic stems are made to fit Mavic rims and are pretty high-durometer rubber, so they don't work very well in other rims, IME.
    When you cut a valve out of a tube you end up with a Stan's valve. In fact, I'm convinced that Stan has sourced his "tubeless valves" from a valve supplier or tube company who then puts the identical product into tubes. If that's not your cup of tea, you may not like them, but I have never had an issue or seen a product that works better. I like to set myself up for success (a tip I learned from a motivational speaker... kidding ) when it comes to tubeless. When I install a tubeless valve, I always put moldbuilder latex around the base to seal it. Since starting that practice I have never had a valve leak... not once. I also usually lay a bead of moldbuilder along the bead of the tire when installing. Since going to Bontrager TLR strips and (mostly) tubeless ready tires, I haven't done that as much, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty View Post
    Who has silver for $1 ?!
    Well they aren't sold $1 individually, it's a box of 64 for $60 so it's actually a bit less than $1 per spoke. I can't seem to find anyone who sells boxes of black ones.

Sapim CX-Ray Straight Pull 272mm
    Sapim CX-Ray Straight Pull 254mm

Those are the two spokes I need for the wider 26er rim with the extralite hyperfront. I need a total of 28 of each but I'd rather have a ton of extra spokes laying around than pay 2x more money for half as many spokes.

mtbr member
    Mavic stems are made to fit Mavic rims and are pretty high-durometer rubber, so they don't work very well in other rims, IME.
    When you cut a valve out of a tube you end up with a Stan's valve. In fact, I'm convinced that Stan has sourced his "tubeless valves" from a valve supplier or tube company who then puts the identical product into tubes. If that's not your cup of tea, you may not like them, but I have never had an issue or seen a product that works better. I like to set myself up for success (a tip I learned from a motivational speaker... kidding ) when it comes to tubeless. When I install a tubeless valve, I always put moldbuilder latex around the base to seal it. Since starting that practice I have never had a valve leak... not once. I also usually lay a bead of moldbuilder along the bead of the tire when installing. Since going to Bontrager TLR strips and (mostly) tubeless ready tires, I haven't done that as much, though.
    Learn something new every day! So - dumb question - do all tubes have removable cores or are there certain brands that you look for.... or do you not have the removable core "feature"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    Well they aren't sold $1 individually, it's a box of 64 for $60 so it's actually a bit less than $1 per spoke. I can't seem to find anyone who sells boxes of black ones.

Those are the two spokes I need for the wider 26er rim with the extralite hyperfront. I need a total of 28 of each but I'd rather have a ton of extra spokes laying around than pay 2x more money for half as many spokes.
    I think you'd better double check with them. Under additional information the Unit of measure says B/20 so looks to me like that means a bag of 20 spokes for $60.04($3 per spoke) That's about the going rate at other places online.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Learn something new every day! So - dumb question - do all tubes have removable cores or are there certain brands that you look for.... or do you not have the removable core "feature"?
    I always get removeable cores.
    I get Q-Tubes cuz they are cheap and it says "removeable valve core" on the box (small text on the bottom right).

mtbr member
    I always get removeable cores.
    I get Q-Tubes cuz they are cheap and it says "removeable valve core" on the box (small text on the bottom right).
    Cool!
    Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    [/QUOTE=litany;9508710]Originally Posted by litany View Post

Those are the two spokes I need for the wider 26er rim with the extralite hyperfront. I need a total of 28 of each but I'd rather have a ton of extra spokes laying around than pay 2x more money for half as many spokes.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I think you'd better double check with them. Under additional information the Unit of measure says B/20 so looks to me like that means a bag of 20 spokes for $60.04($3 per spoke) That's about the going rate at other places online.
    That's right. For a bag of 20. I didn't think Sapim sold spokes other than bags of 20.

Litany, you saw the weight spec for 64 pcs

banned
    Sep 2007
    Thanks, I re-read earlier posts about the washers also, and the concensus was...not needed.

As a neophyte, could I get some advice/recommendations as to spoke configuration, type, ERD (wide 29er) so I can get the order in shape? These will see AM, rocky use, and I don't know whether 2X or 3X is preferred, given that my purpose in going to C-rims in the first place is stiffness. Also, i will be using Hope Pro2 EVO's-32hole.
    Rocky ness is a relative term... as is All Mountain. Let us know how they hold up, or if you crack them on the rocks.

How clean are the lines you ride, and how much do you weigh and is this on a hardtail, FS, or rigid?

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Rocky ness is a relative term... as is All Mountain. Let us know how they hold up, or if you crack them on the rocks.

How clean are the lines you ride, and how much do you weigh and is this on a hardtail, FS, or rigid?
    "Clean lines" whuz dat?
    Austin as in BCGB, so it's pretty danged technical, and yes I walk...alot! That said, I think Moab/Sedona is rocky as well, just smoother, and maybe cleaner lines.
    Weight 180# loaded up, and on a FS 4"-5" bike.
    I'm guessing that this will be a challenge for C-rims, but my current 3 y/o rims have no issues, and just recently broke my first spoke...ever. But I'm pretty conservative.

transmitter~receiver
    Data point:

Bonty strips - 43.4g each
    Yellow tape - 6.1g each

Valve not included.
    I opted for the strips... the set-up just seems bombproof and the fit is perfect on the Nancy wides.
    I was a fan of the security of split-tube-less before moving to Stan's rims w/yellow tape. The TLR strips seem like a next level version of that same security.
    For the record, I never had issues with my Stan's set-ups. I burped once or twice when I was trying to limp in from a race on stupid-low pressure (tire leaking down).
    Not even that after starting the latex-glued bead thing I do.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by hogprint View Post
    Has anyone done a rim swap on a set of wheels built with Flows? ERD on the flows is 600 versus the light bikes 603. I did a rum swap on a wheelset that had Arch's and it went allright. Spokes were almost too long in some cases.
    Every Flow I have measured has been 601.5mm
    Should build fine regardless. If your spokes are already short you may have issues popping nipple heads.

transmitter~receiver
    "Clean lines" whuz dat?
    Austin as in BCGB, so it's pretty danged technical, and yes I walk...alot! That said, I think Moab/Sedona is rocky as well, just smoother, and maybe cleaner lines.
    Weight 180# loaded up, and on a FS 4"-5" bike.
    I'm guessing that this will be a challenge for C-rims, but my current 3 y/o rims have no issues, and just recently broke my first spoke...ever. But I'm pretty conservative.
    I'll be riding the same trails on my rigid.
    I ride pretty hard, but smoothly... no walkie.

Dab-O-Matic
    I'll be riding the same trails on my rigid.
    I ride pretty hard, but smoothly... no walkie.
    You definately "Da Mon"! I bet it's a SS or is it a fixie? I couldn't do that even when I was your age!
    Like your handle but gotta ask, "meltingfeather" ...where does that come from?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anybody lace these rims to I9 hubs? If so what was the weight after you built them up?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Have you all been able to seat your tires with a floor pump or do these rims require a compressor? Thinking about lacing up some Maxxis Ikons to them.

transmitter~receiver
    You definately "Da Mon"! I bet it's a SS or is it a fixie? I couldn't do that even when I was your age!
    Like your handle but gotta ask, "meltingfeather" ...where does that come from?
    lol
    it's SS. i've been riding the greenbelt since i was a kid on my bmx bike.

it's a reference to Icarus... homage to my dad (a master craftsman alla Daedalus) and a reminder to keep my feet on the ground.

Dirt Huffer
    Anyone laced these up with carbon spokes or Ti spokes yet?

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Anyone laced these up with carbon spokes or Ti spokes yet?
    If they did lace up with carbon spokes, would they be alive to post here.

Did mavic ever iron out their issues with their r-sys wheels to get them to be more reliable?

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to pull the trigger soon on the prebuilt "wider" 29er wheel. I am trying to figure out their hub options. I need a 20mm thru axle in front and 12x135 in rear. From what I can gather, the D711 Novatec hub won't convert to a 20mm axle - is that correct? Is my only option from what they offer the D881/882 Novatec hubs? What about the Rotaz hubs?

If the D881/882 is the only option that will work, how would those hubs compare to the Stans 3.30 hubs (which is what I have on my current wheels)?

Sorry if this has been addressed in the previous 78 pages - I have actually been following the thread for a while and have skimmed through but do not remember these questions in particular...

EDIT: - Never mind. Nancy was able to answer the hub offering question - D882 only option in back and she said D881 doesn't have 20mm option (which is incorrect per Novatec catalog). She recommended the DH61 front hub (downhill hub) for the 20mm axle...
    Last edited by albertdc; 07-18-2012 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Disregard my previous post. New question:
    If I pull the trigger on the prebuilt wheelset, I am torn between going with the Novatex DH61 front hub, D882 rear hub combo recommended by Nancy vs paying more to have them build the wheels with Hope Pro II hubs - that would cost $745, or basically $200 more for the different hubs.

The Hope Pro II hubs would be about 125 grams lighter and I would assume would be more bomb-proof than the Novatec hubs. 2 questions - do you agree/think that the Hope Pro II hub is higher quality than the Novatec hub? Would the additional cost be worth it? (Subjective, I know, but HOW much better are the Hopes?)

Thanks

transmitter~receiver
    do you agree/think that the Hope Pro II hub is higher quality than the Novatec hub?
    Without a doubt.
    Would the additional cost be worth it? (Subjective, I know, but HOW much better are the Hopes?)
    Nobody can tell you if they are "worth it" to you.

mtbr member
    Without a doubt.

Nobody can tell you if they are "worth it" to you.
    I know the "worth it" question is impossible... but your first statement: "without a doubt" is what I was hoping for. If they were only marginally better, $200 wouldn't be worth it, but if they are truly much higher quality I'll probably go for it (the weight weenie in me will also be happier ).

Thanks
    PS: any other hubs in the same pricepoint as the Hopes that I should consider and see whether they can source that would be better or lighter still?

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    this is now a hub thread?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Go with the Hope hubs. For the money you can't get better than hope. To get better, your price is going up more than a few dollars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had a really harsh frontal impact that burped the tire, filled a section of the rim with dirt (packed it into the rim bead) and the rim came out unscathed! I'm sure an AL would've been worse off if not taco'ed. I was scared to even inspect the rim cause I thought it would be damaged for sure, but not a single mark on it. Maybe lucky, but glad I had a carbon rim.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    this is now a hub thread?
    Sorry....but it was related to the builds available from Nancy....Maybe I should have started a new thread. So, back to talking about rims...

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Go with the Hope hubs. For the money you can't get better than hope. To get better, your price is going up more than a few dollars.
    ....last thing about the hubs - thanks for the confirmation. Hope hubs it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    I had a really harsh frontal impact that burped the tire, filled a section of the rim with dirt (packed it into the rim bead) and the rim came out unscathed! I'm sure an AL would've been worse off if not taco'ed. I was scared to even inspect the rim cause I thought it would be damaged for sure, but not a single mark on it. Maybe lucky, but glad I had a carbon rim.
    Wow! That is great to hear! Good to know that they can take a beating and keep on rolling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I thinking of building a set up using ti spokes. I've heard ti spokes require higher tension. Higher than the 120 limit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Perhaps consider these new spokes:

Sapim CX Super | Roues Artisanales

transmitter~receiver
    I thinking of building a set up using ti spokes. I've heard ti spokes require higher tension. Higher than the 120 limit?
    There is no spoke that requires higher tension.
    Build them to the same tension as any other spoke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    How many with the narrow 29er rims (27.4mm external, 21mm internal) wish they'd went with the wide rims (30mm external, 23mm internal).
    Last edited by westin; 07-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Not many hub manufacturers recomend more than 1200N

High spoke tension do'nt make good wheels alone.

e

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn View Post
    Are you running them with the Bonty strips, or just tape?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tark View Post
    Have you all been able to seat your tires with a floor pump or do these rims require a compressor? Thinking about lacing up some Maxxis Ikons to them.
    I have had excellent luck with Ikons and tape, but they won't mount with a floor pump. Always fold the tire inside out and let it sit for a few hours before trying to mount it. I have never had any luck mounting Ikons with a pump due to the lumpy beads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    I have had excellent luck with Ikons and tape, but they won't mount with a floor pump. Always fold the tire inside out and let it sit for a few hours before trying to mount it. I have never had any luck mounting Ikons with a pump due to the lumpy beads.
    Good to know. Thanks!

ballbuster
    Data point:

Bonty strips - 43.4g each
    Yellow tape - 6.1g each

Valve not included.
    I opted for the strips... the set-up just seems bombproof and the fit is perfect on the Nancy wides.
    I was a fan of the security of split-tube-less before moving to Stan's rims w/yellow tape. The TLR strips seem like a next level version of that same security.
    For the record, I never had issues with my Stan's set-ups. I burped once or twice when I was trying to limp in from a race on stupid-low pressure (tire leaking down).
    Not even that after starting the latex-glued bead thing I do.
    IIRC, I weighed a NoTubes tubeless valve (with the round rubber base) and they were 7g each.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    IIRC, I weighed a NoTubes tubeless valve (with the round rubber base) and they were 7g each.
    That seems about right. In any case, you need a valve for both setups, so there is no effect on the differential.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Did you weigh the set?
    Sorry, I did not weigh the set. I did weigh the complete bike and liked the outcome but I have no idea of the wheel weight.

I have raced the wheels, including some very fast down hill sections now. I am very pleased with how they handle.

mtbr member
    I received 4 pc of the wide 29. Stiff light and good looking.
    They weighted ~380-390g.
    Got the wheels back from the wheelbuilder yesterday.
    Two turns of yellow stans tape and Ardent 2.4 seated like they did on Flow.

Test ride today.

e

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Are you running them with the Bonty strips, or just tape?
    The front had the strip but not the rear. Still in test mode. I swapped tires a few days ago and added the strip to the rear. I must admit, the tire seated easier with the strip vs yellow tape...much tighter fit which doesn't allow air to pass between rim and tire. I'll take the weight penalty for now.
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

meh
    i was able to seat my nobby nics completely dry with the bonti strips and a floor pump, no soapy water or sealant, i then added some sealant after testing that out though
    Last edited by clewttu; 07-23-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Im tying to get them to produce a tubeless ready 38mm carbon clincher for cyclocross. How easy do you think this would this be?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Would 2 or 3 layers of yellow tape do a similar job at the Bonty strips, as I'm struggling to find anyone local who has the strips or can get them in for me. I don't suppose anyone has found where to get them online?

meh
    i would think any trek dealer can get them for you, if not looks like this UK store will ship to NZ
    Bontrager Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip Symmetric 29 | Evans Cycles

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by manamana View Post
    Would 2 or 3 layers of yellow tape do a similar job at the Bonty strips,
    No. It may work, but not in the same way as the strips.
    as I'm struggling to find anyone local who has the strips or can get them in for me. I don't suppose anyone has found where to get them online?
    You can not buy them online. They need to come from a Trek/Bontrager dealer. Find one of those, and you've found a shop that has them or can order them for you. I paid USD$9.99 for mine (each).

banned
    Oct 2004
    You can not buy them online. They need to come from a Trek/Bontrager dealer. Find one of those, and you've found a shop that has them or can order them for you. I paid USD$9.99 for mine (each).
    I bought them online here: Bontrager Tubeless Replacement Parts - Essentials -Trek Store

meh
    they only ship to locations in the US though

transmitter~receiver
    I stand corrected.
    GTK
    Thanks for the tip!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    they only ship to locations in the US though
    Oops... sorry, didn't realized you're outside of US.

banned
    Oct 2004
    I stand corrected.
    GTK
    Thanks for the tip!
    Heads up tho...no valve stems!
    I'm planning on cutting up a tube for mine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Would 2 or 3 layers of yellow tape do a similar job at the Bonty strips, as I'm struggling to find anyone local who has the strips or can get them in for me. I don't suppose anyone has found where to get them online?
    I ordered them through a local shop in AKL over a year a go. They did sell a few Trek bikes though.
    Were over $50 for a pair !

I had previously got some 26® ones From Evans cycles Uk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Cool, thanks for that fast responses guys!

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Im tying to get them to produce a tubeless ready 38mm carbon clincher for cyclocross. How easy do you think this would this be?

At least a year of going back and forth, showing need and proving demand. Or an moq of 10000 units, paid in advance.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Always Learning
    Heads up tho...no valve stems!
    I'm planning on cutting up a tube for mine.
    If you select the color "silver", the pull down option then lists the valves as being available.

You pretty much have to check the Bontrager website often as they only list what is in stock at the moment. The strips and valves come and go on the site based on their stock inventory.

BB

mtbr member
    Should these be built up with 12mm or 14mm nipples (or does it not matter)?

Based on the DT swiss calculator, when using the Hope Pro II Evo hubs, I need 3 sizes of spokes (291, 292, 293) if using 12mm nips but only 2 sizes (290, 291) if using 14mm nips.

Having never built a wheel before, I'm not sure whether the length of nipple is solely determined by the rim or other factors, such as the above, as well. Recommendations?

EDIT: An additional question: if the calculator gives 292.8 as the spoke length, would you round UP to 293 or still down to 292? Thanks
    Last edited by albertdc; 07-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    Should these be built up with 12mm or 14mm nipples (or does it not matter)?
    12mm

EDIT: An additional question: if the calculator gives 292.8 as the spoke length, would you round UP to 293 or still down to 292? Thanks
    293mm

mtbr member
    Meltingfeather - Thank you! Ordered! :-)

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Which rims are the lightest in this thread? where to buy? Cannot scan through all 79 pages, will someone tell me a link so I can order them?
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi,
    Looking to get a set of the pre-made wheels with the D881/882 novatec hubs. I have a GT sensor 29er which has a 15mm front axle. Don't know what the rear is though - 10mm or 12mm? Any ideas? The bike is not with me and I want to order the wheels soon. Did a web search and cant find the answer anywhere.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Luke

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Mekul....the rear is 10mm on your sensor.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi,

Has anyone any experience on buying complete built wheelset using dt Swiss or chris king hubs, dirrct from light bicycle? How is the quality of the wheel building? Which spokes did u get light bicycle to use?
    Looking to buy complete wheelset from Nancy but using more reputable hubs.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    I read through some of these pages but not all.

meh
    I think you are better off having them built by someone local if you want to go that route, doubt the wheels would be any cheaper if they could even source CK's.
    As for LB's prebuilt quality, here is my very recent experience. I bought a set of 26" rims to build up myself a while back for my main bike, i liked them enough (as well as hearing everyone elses experiences) to buy a set of the 29" prebuilts for my rigid ss. I kind of wanted to see how the quality was and at the same time Id save some money over how i would have built them. I went with 881/882 with 9/10mm thru bolts and the standard bladed spokes they use. Just got them last week, and while not terrible, im kinda wishing id just bought the rims alone. The spokes on the rear were the wrong lengths by 1-2mm, with the drive side being on the long side and the nds being on the short side. Tensions also seemed a little low and not always uniform, which was an easy enough fix.
    I emailed nancy just to have it on record in case these spokes start failing, she said it was ok, that they have built hundreds this way. Im not all that worried about it, i went into it planning on upgrading hubs down the road anyway and will get new spokes at that time, just hope its not sooner than expected, or if it is LB will take care of me

difficult to get a good picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-wp_000369.jpg  

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by winkplay View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone any experience on buying complete built wheelset using dt Swiss or chris king hubs, dirrct from light bicycle? How is the quality of the wheel building? Which spokes did u get light bicycle to use?
    Looking to buy complete wheelset from Nancy but using more reputable hubs.
    Any feedback is appreciated.
    don't think that it possible.
    i believe the "options" if you want a complete wheelset are novatec & pillar
    if you want reputable components and building, i believe Mike C. is building sets with the Nancy rims.

mtbr member
    Due to everyones (mostly positive) results with these rims I ordered a set of the heavy wide 29er rims in ud matte finnish. Communication was very fast and generally good, rims took about 10 days longer than quoted(not too bad).

They arrived today and I was very impressed with the overall quality. I got them built this afternoon. Weight with yellow tape, 32 DT double butted spokes/alloy nips and white industries through axel hubs cam in at 1850 for the pair. They built up very well, not as easily as say a set of mavic open pro road rims, but much easier than a set of flows. ERD measurements were very consistent on both wheels at 603mm.

I was not looking for the lightest build possible, more interested in stiffer and wider. Thanks to everyone who got in the water first! I will give an update on the ride quality/ tublessability after a dozen or so rides.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bykerider View Post
    Weight with yellow tape, 32 DT double butted spokes/alloy nips and white industries through axel hubs cam in at 1850 for the pair.
    ?? I don't understand how your wheels weigh so much, and if so why you would not just buy a more standard wheel that is as stiff, costs same or less and is likely more durable - like AmClasdic tubeless, etc.
    M

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    ?? I don't understand how your wheels weigh so much, and if so why you would not just buy a more standard wheel that is as stiff, costs same or less and is likely more durable - like AmClasdic tubeless, etc.
    AC hubs are really light. Any wheelset with King hubs, for instance, is probably going to be pushing 1800g.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Let me start by saying I weigh in at 240 american LBS, I have destroyed a number of bike parts.

All of American classics products suc even if you weigh 120lbs, but when you double that they suc times 4. Dont ask me how the math adds up, it just does I think they call it the inverse square law.

I weighted my options when picking hubs and spokes. for spokes I might have picked up some lighter ones for not too much more dough, but I would start breaking them, and would soon be replacing them with 64 new standard dbl butted spokes. Which would cost me time and money, and the wheels would not be any lighter than they are already.

I dont like rebuilding hubs every 6mo. so I will not own another set of kings, I dont like replacing $60 worth oh bearings every season so hopes are out, I dont like making the star ratchet skip in tough terrain so 240s are out, I dont like my rotor rubbing so xtr's are out, and I dont have the loot for Haddleys(spelling?). The white IND hubs are inexpensive, simple to service, available in 12x142 rear, they use oversized steel axels/ custom double wide bearings(read STIFF, also heavy) plus they look P-I-M-P.

So heavy hubs make a heavy wheelset, I thought the whole point was to save weight as far away from the center of a rotating object as possible. Like at the rim.

Carbon rims can be much stiffer than aluminum rims and with less mass. I very much doubt that there is an aluminum rimmed wheelset that can beat these wheels when considering the width and stiffness of these wheels for the same price , and that does not factor in the relatively low weight of these rims.

Lastly Carbon rims get you way more phone numbers at the trailhead

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ordered my set about 12 days ago - was told they would take 8-10 days - but the order just got delayed another 10 days. Not upset - just keeping everyone posted on lead times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Ordered my set about 12 days ago - was told they would take 8-10 days - but the order just got delayed another 10 days. Not upset - just keeping everyone posted on lead times.
    Rims only or complete wheel build? Did you request any special characteristics for the rim (weight, etc)? Just trying to figure out a realistic ETA for the rims I just ordered a couple of days ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

banned
    Oct 2004
    Rims only or complete wheel build? Did you request any special characteristics for the rim (weight, etc)? Just trying to figure out a realistic ETA for the rims I just ordered a couple of days ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Was just swapping msg w/ Nancy. She has UD matte finish "wider" and "heavier" 29er 32h rims in stock and can ship immediately. I changed my 3K glossy to this to get them sooner, else a 12 day wait for production.

Edit: rims only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    I asked for sub 400g 3k matte rims only - they said there are 17 orders ahead of mine before they get built - apparently they are overloaded with orders

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    "cheap" also means poor quality.. surely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smir View Post
    Cheap means less expensive in regards to these rims and dont call me shirley

MattSavage
    "There's a Sale at Penny's...!"
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

banned
    Oct 2004
    Assessed how, strictly from the word "cheap" (which is a terrible metric), or did you actually get a sample and test?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I recently picked up six rims and four water bottle holders from light bicycles, here's the breakdown on how I used them:

For my wife's road bike - 1 20 hole 38mm clincher laced radially to a chris king r45 hub, 1 24 hole 50mm clincher laced 2x to a chris king r45 hub

For my road bike - 2 28 hole 50mm clinchers laced 2x front and rear (I'm 220lbs) to 240s hubs

For my 26in mtn bike - 2 "wider 26er" 32 hole laced 3x to chris king hubs

So for less than the price of one enve rim I have three pairs of these things. I built all the wheels so I've handled the rims extensively. The road bikes have several hundred miles on them and the mtn bike has I don't know, a fair amount of use. Bottom line is in my experience and in my opinion the rims are pretty much flawless. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a couple more rims for my 29er.

Oh, the water bottle holders are nice too.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    I asked for sub 400g 3k matte rims only - they said there are 17 orders ahead of mine before they get built - apparently they are overloaded with orders
    Oh man, bummer. That's exactly what I ordered too. Thanks for posting - it helps to be prepared for the delay. If you think of it, please post (or PM me) an update when your rims ship or arrive.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingair View Post

So for less than the price of one enve rim I have three pairs of these things. I built all the wheels so I've handled the rims extensively. The road bikes have several hundred miles on them and the mtn bike has I don't know, a fair amount of use. Bottom line is in my experience and in my opinion the rims are pretty much flawless. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a couple more rims for my 29er.

Oh, the water bottle holders are nice too.
    That is a great summary and feedback! Nice to hear such a positive impression.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any one on here that has bought these and built them up interested in building a set to sale? I'm intersted in a lighter wheelset for my Hardtail 29er, mainly for racing. I have no expierence building wheelsets.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Where do you live?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhat View Post
    Where do you live?
    Indianapolis

mtbr member
    I live just 15min south of Indy, but I have only built one set on my own so far. I have been waiting a month for Hadley Hubs so I can build my second set. There are some reputable shops in the area like Indy Cycle Specialists or Bicycle Outfitters Indy who might build for a reasonable price. I might be inclined to help after I build my 2nd set and get a bit more experience under my belt.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    A Lexus sedan is "cheap" compared to some of its European competition. I would argue that the Lexus offers the same performance as many of its more expensive competitors.

Lexus is not cheap quality.

Your reasoning is usually correct imo, but not in this case.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhunt46051 View Post
    Any one on here that has bought these and built them up interested in building a set to sale? I'm intersted in a lighter wheelset for my Hardtail 29er, mainly for racing. I have no expierence building wheelsets.

Thanks!
    I emailed Light-Bikes to see what it would cost me to have them make them with either Hadley or DT Swiss 240 hubs. Anyone buy any premade from this company, if so what are your thoughts?

mtbr member

Iíve been riding my carbons for ~900 miles and recently had a rear hub problem and had to swap in my rear Arch wheel. Well the Arch flexes way more than my carbon wheel and the Arch is 32 spokes and my carbon is 28 spokes. There were a few times I got off thinking the tire was low but is wasnít just flexing. Iíve been treating my carbon wheels like I do all my wheelsets and have plenty rock scuffs on them. A couple of times hitting a rock so that you get that feeling of the rim bottoming out but no problems so far.

Arch wheel: 32H ZRT hub and Supercomp spokes.
    Carbon wheel: 28H HyperLite and Xray spokes.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I emailed Light-Bikes to see what it would cost me to have them make them with either Hadley or DT Swiss 240 hubs. Anyone buy any premade from this company, if so what are your thoughts?
    i do not believe they build with the brand of hubs you mentioned.

perhaps you have a bike shop that could do the job for you after you buy the rims from light bicycle?

banned
    Sep 2007
    One carbon rim for $160 plus a gazillion $ for shipping, or Flow's on sale for $50 each and $16 shipping for two rims. Guess I'm lacing Flows and taking the weigh penalty.

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    yes but for losing a half pound of rotating weight that's not a bad price.

ballbuster

Well, sometimes it does. Sometimes cheap is truly cheap, and sometimes it is just marked up less. I wouldn't exactly call $175 landed 'cheap' for a rim.

Expensive means higher quality... sometimes. Much of the time, expensive means there are more middlemen in the process, taking their cut, and sometimes expensive is just emptying your wallet for no benefit. Often, more expensive just means you are lining somebody else's bank account.

So, if these are the same exact rims as the name brand bling selling for $2000, and you just get less support, is that $1400 worth it for the support?

That is the question.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Indianapolis
    I might be willing to build a set but I do not want to deal with shipping and I am in n.e. Wisconsin. If only you were closer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have seen wheels from them. I have built with their rims and I feel that the rims are very good. The built up wheels that i saw had spoke tensions that were all over the place. The rims build up very well and spoke tension for mine are very consistent so I know it is not the rims. I think they may not spend enough time finishing the build but then the prices are very good. For me, I am happy to buy the rims and build myself.

Edit:

I should note that I am training and racing on their wider 29 rims. I built them up with CK hubs and I really like them.
    Last edited by jhat; 07-27-2012 at 02:18 PM.

banned
    Jul 2012
    My buddy has a set of these rims. So far they have turned out pretty good for him. I am still hesitant to buy a set though.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    The cost of competitive carbon rimmed wheels like various Rovals is coming down. And you must compare equivalent hubsets. Most custom built LB wheels with nice hubs are going to be $800-$1200 finished. On average, that's only about $600 off Rovals, certainly not $1700. ENVE and maybe Reynolds and Easton are boutique in my mind and not a real comparison.

What LB should do is offer more hub options - if they could just offer DTSwiss, that would double their sales - even if the cost was $1000 per set.
    M

Members who have read this thread: 503