Page 164 of 247 FirstFirst ... 64 114 154 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 174 214 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 6155
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just wanted to give some good rep to Nancy at Light Bicycle. I broke a nipple and reached out to her for some extras, including some spokes, just in case I have future problems. She was great. I also had a bracket issue with a seatpost. Originally, I did not hear back but we circled around again when talking about the spokes. She was very helpful again and is sending me the part that broke.

I will be ordering a set of road wheels before long from them.

Also, FWIW, the mountain wheels seem to be holding up quite well. I have them on a hardtail and I'm not exactly gentle with them. They appear to take the hits quite well. I only have about 120miles on them but some of those miles were over bony new england rock Pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    >Does anyone know if the new Factor series of hubs by Novatec will be an option for LB wheel builds when they are released?

Well hopefully they will be a better design than the 882 hub which again (see my previous posts) completely failed on me in the backcountry due to a total flaw in its design.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What is the design flaw? Do you have pics? Is the flaw only with the 882 or is it in the other commonly specced hub as well?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Search my old posts in this thread for more details, but basic situation was that the freehub mechanism is only press fit into the hub body with no mechanical locking ie no pins. I looked up the drawings (might be posted) and it was clear there was nothing other than a press fit holding it. So eventually mine just started turning in the hub when pedalling, like a clutch slipping. I have no idea if any of their other hubs new or old are designed this way. I got about half a season out of it when it failed with no warning and cut short a 6 hour ride, thankfully we were on the climb and I was mostly able to coast out. I weigh 200 lbs and ride a 20/36 gear (on a 29) and do a lot of climbing, but seriously doubt I was putting more torque through it than any other large individual or powerful cyclist. It seems like tall gear sprinting would put more load into it than a climbing gear. Either way it doesn't matter, its a time bomb waiting to happen. If I didn't post the drawing, go to Novatec's site and look it up, they have the pdf posted. Then check out the hub you want to buy and see if it is the same design. I sent them a short email of course but didnt' hear anything (wasn't looking for compensation, just informing them). I've been running a Hope II since then with no problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For those with the wide AM rims, what is a better option for going tubeless, the Bontrager Rhythm Strips or just stans yellow tape? If Stans would the 25mm tape be better?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauffy View Post
    For those with the wide AM rims, what is a better option for going tubeless, the Bontrager Rhythm Strips or just stans yellow tape? If Stans would the 25mm tape be better?
    I can't say enough about using gorilla tape. Cheap, super strong and I have not had a problem with any of the wheelsets I have done. Been doing it this way for a few years now. I think it cost me three bucks to do the conversion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ah, i forgot about Gorilla tape. I imagine it would leave a very sticky residue. Is this ever an issue?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have not had any problems. Stuff is great. I recently broke a nipple. Peeled the tape back, made the fixed and was able to reuse the tape. Of course, I could have put a new layer on as well, for about twenty cents

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    People have success with both methods, however the rhythm strips seem to be more secure out of the box. I have rhythm strips on mine, their weight barely even registered on a .1g precision scale. For me the added security of the bontrager rim strips was a no brainer.

I've been racing XC this entire season on the setup with great luck. This past weekend I had a race where after the fact I noticed the front tire had lost a good amount of air before stans sealed it, fortunately the tire never even got close to blowing off the rim and I was able to finish the race without any issues.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by peterk123 View Post
    I have not had any problems. Stuff is great. I recently broke a nipple. Peeled the tape back, made the fixed and was able to reuse the tape. Of course, I could have put a new layer on as well, for about twenty cents
    +1 on the Gorilla tape. Comes in a 1" width which was perfect for the wider rims. Have used this on 2 different wheelsets now with no issues either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I used Stans Yellow Tape since I had it and it works fine too. Blows up as easily as a Notubes rim. I used the same width recommended for the Arch Ex rims, whichever width that is. Supposed to be a little lighter than the Bonty strips and Gorilla tape too. Maybe not enough to matter, but psychologically.....maybe so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys! I'll have to see what's available locally(Aus). Not sure where i'd get the Rhythm strips over here, even the Yellow tape seems hard to find :/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Thanks guys! I'll have to see what's available locally(Aus). Not sure where i'd get the Rhythm strips over here, even the Yellow tape seems hard to find :/
    I've been using the American Classic strips. I find their valves are better than Stan's.

mtbr member
    Ah, i forgot about Gorilla tape. I imagine it would leave a very sticky residue. Is this ever an issue?
    Many have had good results but in my case, the answer depends on whether you use a standard width or try to economize and cut custom width strips using a wider roll of Gorilla tape. I got a 1" roll of Gorilla Tape for one set of wheels and thought I would be clever and cut custom width tape from a 2" wide roll. While this initially worked, lack of exactness on my part resulted in inconsistent width and in some places I observed the tape has slipped leaving a residue or adheres to the bead of the tire pulling off thin strands also leaving residue when you change tires. Also think the AmClass valve stems are a better choice Stans.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Stans wheels use yellow tape. LB wheels are way more secure with Bontragger rim strip.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Broke my rear. Seems like a factory defect. Im gonna warranty it with a stronger rear.

Its on a AMHT, 140mm fork and dropper post. I ride it really hard.

Here are some pics.
    The rim is cracking in one spot, and 2 nipples are looking like they want to pull through. This appeared after a hard day at Dupont, NC.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image.jpg
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image-1.jpg
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image-2.jpg

For the record, I have been riding this broken rim for about a month with no issues.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Stans wheels use yellow tape. LB wheels are way more secure with Bontragger rim strip.
    +1 for the Bonty Strips. Used them on the LB rims, I had used Gorilla in the past, and the bead locks in like nothing else I've seen.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leugene View Post
    19mm inner width? It's like latest carbon rims from Easton for ROAD bikes!
    Yes, that is 19mm width, similar to XC rims, can be assembled with both wide and narrow tires. Now the rims are tubeless ready.

Email: peter@xmiplay.cn
    Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co., Ltd. - Seat Post,Cartridge Headset

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well if that doesn't qualify as proper spam...

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Ouanlux View Post
    I am sorry for this. If you want to buy new one, maybe you can find the suited at Nextie Bike-Chinese carbon fiber,MTB rims,road bike wheels,tri spoke wheels,BMX,frames,disc wheel BTW, ask Maxwell, he will make it cheaper for you. ^_^
    F**k off, spammer

Reported.

Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you are looking for Gorilla tape, in Victoria (Australia) Masters home hardware sell it in the painting section.

quiggs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anybody know of any wheel builders who will build with these? Maybe stock them occasionally?

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Anybody know of any wheel builders who will build with these? Maybe stock them occasionally?
    Mikesee has in the past... not sure about currently.
    lacemine29.com

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Spicer Cycles. spicercycles.com
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Spicer Cycles. spicercycles.com
    All I see is track forks & frames.