Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164
Results 8,151 to 8,176 of 8176
    www.lightbicycle.com
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Good find, nice to have more potential sources, but those are 29er i39. RSVR6 is saying he found a source for i39 27.5 rims.
    I'm looking for: 27.5 rims with 39 or 40mm internal width, asym, with "slanted" 6 degree drilling or shaped/reinforced spoke holes.
    Hi Inertia Man, We're building am asymmetrical 27.5 rim with a 40mm internal width right now, it's in the final testing phase and will be released at some point in late November. We can do custom drilling, but our standard is 6 degrees. For the spoke hole test, these are testing out to 400 kg/f before it can pull through (highest spoke tension used on wheels is about 130kg/f) so this is not going to be a concern for these.

mtbr member
    Received them this morning. Ordered them 10-19. Left China on 10-29 and got them on 11-4 via FedEx.

Pic of the 39mm inner width 27.5 asym plus rim.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20161104_124159.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20161104_124239.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20161104_124007.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20161104_123849.jpg

mtbr member
    hi guys
    havnt been here for a while
    using this Light Bicycle rims for 5 years now. moved from old design to new and wide
    and now on asimetric 34mm rims.
    wrote all about it on my site
    hope you like it. you can use the translator on the site.

Light bicycle - ?????? ????? ????? ???. - ???? ?????? ????

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Has anyone purchased/used the Nextie NXT29WC38 rim? (32mm ID, asym)

I would like to know if the spoke holes are drilled "straight" (perpendicular to the rim surface) or drilled +/- 6 degree to position the nipple in line with the spoke direction to hub flange?

Sent the question direct to Nextie but have not been getting a response.

If LB had a 29er version of their EN733 it would be a good fit for one of my new wheelsets, but no sign that LB is doing this anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Six degrees seems to be a pretty standard drilling. That's what I got when I asked them (Apex) for whatever is their normal drilling since I wasn't sure about the hubs I was going to use. Since alot of the companies don't produce the rim till you order...if you ask...they can usually do a custom drilling for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Six degrees seems to be a pretty standard drilling. That's what I got when I asked them (Apex) for whatever is their normal drilling since I wasn't sure about the hubs I was going to use. Since alot of the companies don't produce the rim till you order...if you ask...they can usually do a custom drilling for you.
    I'm not particularly concerned about the actual angle ( 6deg, 5 deg, whatever . . . so long as its not zero). All the early LB rims were straight drilled. I used many of those rims, and I found the non-angled holes to be undesirable. Unlike thin alloy rims which allow the nipple to pivot and align with the spoke (especially if eyelet'ed), the carbon rims are substantially thicker and effectively hold the nipple on-axis w/ the hole, with little/no ability to pivot. So I am unwilling to use straight-drilled holes anymore if I have other alternatives. Just wish there was some clarity in the spec from Nextie (or response to my inquiry).

mtbr member
    Sent the question direct to Nextie but have not been getting a response.
    I would interpret this "no response" as straight drilling, unless someone here actually got a rim from them drilled in an angle.

I don't think it's something you can ask them to do. It's done by a machine, so if they had it, the rims would probably come like that already. Unless you want them to do it with a hand drill

You also have to wonder if they just drill a hole in an angle, or also rim the surface of the nipple seat in an angle (inside the rim).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I would interpret this "no response" as straight drilling, unless someone here actually got a rim from them drilled in an angle.

I don't think it's something you can ask them to do. It's done by a machine, so if they had it, the rims would probably come like that already. Unless you want them to do it with a hand drill

You also have to wonder if they just drill a hole in an angle, or also rim the surface of the nipple seat in an angle (inside the rim).
    I asked Nextie before I bought my first set and they said they drill the spoke holes on a 6 degree angle.

mtbr member
    FWIW: I got a set of rims from CB that were specified to be drilled at 6 deg. On other rims I've gotten angled drilling was fairly obvious due to the staggered big holes in the rim bed. On the CB rims I could not see any evidence of angled drilling in the stagger of either the holes in the rim beds or the nipple holes themselves. I had to put close fitting rod through the nipple hole to see that they were indeed drilled at an angle, and identify which holes to use for each side of the hub.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I received a response last night to my second inquiry, and they confirmed that the NXT27XA45 is drilled at +/-6 degrees.

As you're noting, when drilled at an angle, it leaves a non-perpendicular seating surface for the nipple inside. With most nipples, this is not a concern, since they have a curved/spherical lip which can seat off-axis. Some Sapim nipples specifically promote this shape. Useful as that is, though, it isn't helpful if the rim thickness effectively prevents the nipple from "tilting". Hence my focus on angled drilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    FWIW: I got a set of rims from CB that were specified to be drilled at 6 deg. On other rims I've gotten angled drilling was fairly obvious due to the staggered big holes in the rim bed. On the CB rims I could not see any evidence of angled drilling in the stagger of either the holes in the rim beds or the nipple holes themselves. I had to put close fitting rod through the nipple hole to see that they were indeed drilled at an angle, and identify which holes to use for each side of the hub.
    I've also used rims w/ angled drilling but w/o staggered holes. I found that dropping a spoke & nipple into a hole and seating it will usually show a subtle but noticeable "slant" to one side or the other. No doubt that wheels have been built by inattentive builders who don't bother to determine that orientation . . . and one thing worse than straight holes is -6 degree hole with a +6 degree spoke in it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Looking for 30mm external width, asymmetrical xc rim. I would like as light as possible. I have had great luck with Light Bicycle, but there wasn't as much choice 4 years ago as now. Other choices seem to be: Xia Men Yuan, CarbonFan, ebay (hulk), Nextie, Yishun, EIE and ACE. I'm sure some of these are made in the same factory and re-branded. Any other been there, done that experiences? TIA

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    Looking for 30mm external width, asymmetrical xc rim. I would like as light as possible. I have had great luck with Light Bicycle, but there wasn't as much choice 4 years ago as now. Other choices seem to be: Xia Men Yuan, CarbonFan, ebay (hulk), Nextie, Yishun, EIE and ACE. I'm sure some of these are made in the same factory and re-branded. Any other been there, done that experiences? TIA

That's going to give you a 24mm iw, which will match with heavy casing tires aimed more at dh speeds where lightest means cracked.
    Otherwise you should consider 30mm inner width a minimum. Like the CB asyms of 29, 34 or 39.
    When it says in the specs + or - 15g you can use the note to request rims at the minus end.
    [NEW] Asymmetric Mountain bike 27.5er&29er AM hookless rim 40mm wide - Asymmetric Rim - Carbonfan|Carbon Rim|Carbon Wheel|Carbon Bicycle|Carbon Frame|Carbon Bike Part|Mountain bike

You can match that with tires with a rounded profile like Bontrager XR Teams.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I'm running CB's 29mm inner width asymmetric rims with XR3 and 4. The rims weighed 418gm against their 400 +/-15gm spec, close enough within the uncertainty of the scales. Wheelset is 1630gm, but of course that will depend on hubs and spokes. Running tubeless with Kapton tape rim strip.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    If you've been happy with your LB rims, it's not a bad idea to stick with them since you know what you'll be getting. As a return customer, they will offer you a discount too. Ive been very happy with the 3 sets I've owned.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have been very happy with my LB 30mm external width rims (~385g), running IKON 2.2 and 2.35 for years and happy with the handling. Minor crack on one after many years and tons of miles. I am looking to build a similar or lighter wheel using an asymmetric rim. LB's lightest offering is either 28mm or 34mm ext. width, and $249/$269 plus shipping. The other companies mentioned are lighter and cheaper. I am still asking if anyone has good experience with any of these companies, especially if you bought a similar rim.

mtbr member
    I have been very happy with my LB 30mm external width rims (~385g), running IKON 2.2 and 2.35 for years and happy with the handling. Minor crack on one after many years and tons of miles. I am looking to build a similar or lighter wheel using an asymmetric rim. LB's lightest offering is either 28mm or 34mm ext. width, and $249/$269 plus shipping. The other companies mentioned are lighter and cheaper. I am still asking if anyone has good experience with any of these companies, especially if you bought a similar rim.
    I see. Food for thought thought though. It probably doesn't matter for your situation considering what you're after, but those lighter rims probably have a lower weight capacity too. That, and you can request the rims be in the - xx weight range when you order. You may have to wait longer, but they will usually do it IME. The price is probably higher since the name is more well known, but it's worth seeing what your return customer discount will get you. I guess I should be more open minded, but I tend to stick with the more well known names if I'm going Chinese carbon, i.e. Nextie, LB. I think they have more to lose on the "word of mouth" gauge if things go wrong.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I've been running 460 gram 29" 30 mm internal width rims with 3.5mm thick sidewalls, 32 spokes. I have been racing enduro on this wheelset on a 4" travel bike. Now I know that is far from ideal, but is what I currently own (a new bike is in the works). I weigh 175 ret to ride.
    My concern is that I've cracked 2 of these rear hoops in almost 2 years. I'm wondering if it is because the rear suspension packs in after multiple hits and feels like a hard tail. The bike runs out of suspension and the rim gives in? Although when it happens there are often multiple destroyed rims at the event, carbon and aluminum, and on longer travel bikes. I'm beginning to wonder if I'd be better off with aluminum on the rear wheel of the new bike build, or if 140mm will be more forgiving and less prone to destroying rear rims.
    Any thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    I've been running 460 gram 29" 30 mm internal width rims with 3.5mm thick sidewalls, 32 spokes. I have been racing enduro on this wheelset on a 4" travel bike. Now I know that is far from ideal, but is what I currently own (a new bike is in the works). I weigh 175 ret to ride.
    My concern is that I've cracked 2 of these rear hoops in almost 2 years. I'm wondering if it is because the rear suspension packs in after multiple hits and feels like a hard tail. The bike runs out of suspension and the rim gives in? Although when it happens there are often multiple destroyed rims at the event, carbon and aluminum, and on longer travel bikes. I'm beginning to wonder if I'd be better off with aluminum on the rear wheel of the new bike build, or if 140mm will be more forgiving and less prone to destroying rear rims.
    Any thoughts on this?
    I am far from an expert but after seeing things like Santa Cruz testing their aluminum vs carbon frames I would continue to stick with Carbon all day over aluminum for strength. Carbon is a damn amazingly strong material and not that much more expensive for these wider rims than their aluminum counterparts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone have first-hand experience w/ spoke calculations for the Nextie 32mm internal asym 29er rim NXT29WC38? They spec the ERD at 579mm, but I'm measuring at 584mm.

Nextie has an FAQ/definition for ERD which indicates the measurement is taken not at the internal rim surface, but at the nipple base: What is ERD (Effective Rim Diameter)?

My measurement method used two exactly 250mm cutoff spokes threaded/glued to have threaded tip flush to slot (ie, includes nipple base thickness) so in theory should match Nextie's number.

If Nextie is saying one thing (includes nipple base) but doing another (measuring to internal rim wall) then the 584m versus 579mm would be reasonably well explained by the nipple base thickness.

Anyway, it would be very useful if anyone had similar experiences with this specific rim and can provide insight on how their length choices turned out after the build was done. Without additional data, I'll probably use 582 or 581 for calculations. Just want to avoid the case of almost-too-long-spokes (which happened with one of my LB builds years ago).

transmitter~receiver
    Anyone have first-hand experience w/ spoke calculations for the Nextie 32mm internal asym 29er rim NXT29WC38? They spec the ERD at 579mm, but I'm measuring at 584mm.

Nextie has an FAQ/definition for ERD which indicates the measurement is taken not at the internal rim surface, but at the nipple base: What is ERD (Effective Rim Diameter)?

My measurement method used two exactly 250mm cutoff spokes threaded/glued to have threaded tip flush to slot (ie, includes nipple base thickness) so in theory should match Nextie's number.

If Nextie is saying one thing (includes nipple base) but doing another (measuring to internal rim wall) then the 584m versus 579mm would be reasonably well explained by the nipple base thickness.

Anyway, it would be very useful if anyone had similar experiences with this specific rim and can provide insight on how their length choices turned out after the build was done. Without additional data, I'll probably use 582 or 581 for calculations. Just want to avoid the case of almost-too-long-spokes (which happened with one of my LB builds years ago).
    If you measure right, and it sounds like you did, then it doesn't matter what people who don't know what they are doing or talking about say, even in the unfortunate case that those people happen to have made your rim.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If you measure right, and it sounds like you did, then it doesn't matter what people who don't know what they are doing or talking about say, even in the unfortunate case that those people happen to have made your rim.
    Oh, but they didn't make my rim, they just sold it, right?

In general I agree with you, I have direct measurement so I should proceed with confidence, and not sweat the Nextie specs. But if someone chimed in w/ similar experience and a post-build photo of spoke position in nipple base, I can proceed with even more confidence. I'm also used to working w/ higher precision materials so ignoring OEM specs isn't exactly in my DNA.

damned rocks...
    Also, take several measures on both rims, you should get small variations but nothing that will interfere on your calculations.
    Also, as meltingfeather mentioned, it doesn't matter what other people measured, as long as you took precaution measuring your rims, you should go by your measures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Also, take several measures on both rims, you should get small variations but nothing that will interfere on your calculations.
    Also, as meltingfeather mentioned, it doesn't matter what other people measured, as long as you took precaution measuring your rims, you should go by your measures.
    I did 4 measurements on each rim at 45 degree intervals, all were within the +/- 0.5mm error that I'd guess is inherent in my informal "tooling".

damned rocks...
    Nothing to do with your rims, but the ERD listed for my chinese carbon rims was 579mm, then when they arrived I took a couple of measurements and the mean value I arrived was slightly over 583mm.
    So, don't give it too much importance to the discrepancy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I received a response last night to my second inquiry, and they confirmed that the NXT27XA45 is drilled at +/-6 degrees.
    FWIW, now that I've received the rims, I can confirm that they are indeed angle drilled. I have no means to distinguish 6 degrees versus 5 or 7 degrees, but its pretty obvious when one places a spoke & nipple in alternating holes that there is significant orientation bias toward one side or the other.

mtbr member
    Maybe I am getting this wrong, but on this page the text and diagram contradict each other.

The diagram shows ERD at the rim surface, the text says to add the nipple heads (4mm).