Page 163 of 164 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164 LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,150 of 8176
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Are you guys using washers? Seems like its an unnecessary step these days

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Yeah... major shift away from product development.
    Bummer, planning on fitting a 26x2.4 tire with wide rims on a 2011 scalpel. Going with asymmetric would be cool.

mtbr member
    Just came across this nice wheel, it's not tubeless ready rims but is boost hubs

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by andrepsz View Post
    Just came across this nice wheel, it's not tubeless ready rims but is boost hubs

Dude, those are proprietary spokes, try break one and good luck finding a source...
    Last edited by Aglo; 08-11-2016 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Should be supalight!

transmitter~receiver
    That's a Mavic R-SYS wheel. It will kill you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    That's a Mavic R-SYS wheel. It will kill you.
    You are so right! I'm wondering if Mavic made money all this time with a patent that should never deserved to be granted.

mtbr member
    I'm *just* beginning to seriously investigate carbon wheels and thinking of relacing my hubs to new hoops.
    I found these on eBay, and seem to tick all the boxes: 30mm inner, asym, decent weight, good price.
    Does anyone have experience/feedback regarding the vendor "HulkSports" and these rims:
    29er 36mm Wide MTB Bicycle Carbon Rim MTB Offset Rims Hookless Asymmetric | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    I'm *just* beginning to seriously investigate carbon wheels and thinking of relacing my hubs to new hoops.
    I found these on eBay, and seem to tick all the boxes: 30mm inner, asym, decent weight, good price.
    Does anyone have experience/feedback regarding the vendor "HulkSports" and these rims:
    29er 36mm Wide MTB Bicycle Carbon Rim MTB Offset Rims Hookless Asymmetric | eBay
    I'd like to know as well.

no motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I'd like to know as well.

They have a less than 97% score on 27 sales, I'd run away from them based on that alone.
    Boycott emotorbikes.

mtbr member
    True, but I make a habit of actually reading the negative reviews to learn *why*. Some people are just mouth-breathers.

Of 27, there's one negative review, and the reviewer checked "negative" but his comments don't match. I suspect he's one of the mouth-breathing idiots that drag down internet sales ratings.
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-rim-feedback-screen.png

I'm not defending the seller, I agree 27 feedbacks is a short list, but the other 26 seem to actually address rim quality and are legit reviews.

no motor
    True, but I make a habit of actually reading the negative reviews to learn *why*. Some people are just mouth-breathers.

Of 27, there's one negative review, and the reviewer checked "negative" but his comments don't match. I suspect he's one of the mouth-breathing idiots that drag down internet sales ratings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rim feedback Screen.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	1096188

I'm not defending the seller, I agree 27 feedbacks is a short list, but the other 26 seem to actually address rim quality and are legit reviews.

Could be but I'd still let someone else be the test monkey.
    Boycott emotorbikes.

mtbr member
    That seems to be about 100g too light for a 29' 30mm inner rim. As a comparison, here's another 30mm inner which they quote at 450g ...
    29er 35mm Width MTB Carbon Rims Mountain Bicycle Rim Tubeless Compatible | eBay

One feature that I wish my carbon rims had (3years old from LB and still going strong) - angled spoke holes. I don't think that these hulk rims have these.

I'm conservative and I'd only buy carbon rims from an ebay seller that had sold 1000's of rims over a period of years and had a feedback rating of 99.5+%.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Light Bicycle Promo Video...you gotta see this!

I was blown away when I saw this video posted in the LB 38mm rim thread in the W&T forum, and I felt that many of the old school Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims followers would enjoy it. Many of you will remember the debate about 100pgs ago over if LB was a manufacturer, or just a reseller, and this included MTBR members going to the actual physical location of LB in China to try to confirm. I had thought the consensus was that they drill onsite, but are buying rims from some other company, perhaps Nobl.

Well...LB seems to have commissioned some Brooklyn hipsters to make them a promo video to put those doubts to rest. It's far out. It feels like watching a fair trade artisanal coffee roaster promo:

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    I was blown away when I saw this video posted in the LB 38mm rim thread in the W&T forum, and I felt that many of the old school Cheap Chinese Carbon Rims followers would enjoy it. Many of you will remember the debate about 100pgs ago over if LB was a manufacturer, or just a reseller, and this included MTBR members going to the actual physical location of LB in China to try to confirm. I had thought the consensus was that they drill onsite, but are buying rims from some other company, perhaps Nobl.

Well...LB seems to have commissioned some Brooklyn hipsters to make them a promo video to put those doubts to rest. It's far out. It feels like watching a fair trade artisanal coffee roaster promo:
    I feel dirty.
    I wonder what the truth batting average for that video is. We'll never know...
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    I returned some LB rims a while back, and the address was not the same as the standard shipping address.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The video has Nancy! It must be true!
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    I feel dirty.
    I wonder what the truth batting average for that video is. We'll never know...
    Haha...

Whatever rim you buy from China...it'll pretty much be coming from one city. Sooner or later people will start figuring out what factories the rims are coming from.

The companies that make carbon rims don't make just carbon rims. If you look at some of the facilities...they are bloody huge. They make all kinds of carbon goods. Rims are just one of them. They also make other carbon goods from hockey sticks, bats, car parts, etc.

I bought a rim from XMapex at Interbike. Now the rim came with a tag. On this tag and on the rim is a part number. Its the same part number thats on Nextie's "Premium" rim.

Take a look at the part number. On the tag and on the rim. The pic of the rim is a bit blurry, but you can still make out the part number.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20161010_220138.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20160930_162323.jpg

Now look at the part number on Nextie's site.

"[NXT27XM36] PREMIUM 36mm Width Carbon Fiber 27.5" / 650B Mountain Bike Clincher Rim [Tubeless Compatible]"

[NXT27XM36] PREMIUM 36mm Width Carbon Fiber 27.5" / 650B Mountain Bike Clincher Rim [Tubeless Compatible]

I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I agree that all the rims come from one or so manufacturer and that some are standard off the shelf pieces sold by multiple sites. But sellers do also have rims they own the molds for made to their own design. The asym rims from Carbonbicycle are an example. They designed those from input from here. I saw profiles before they started having them built. I'm sure LB and Nextie have some designs of their own also.

Name:  1carbonb39.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  29.4 KB

CBs engineer came up with this in a few days at 39mm id.

mtbr member
    Eyeing up a set of rims for a 27.5+ the 36mm ID rims from carbonbicycle.cc are about the width I'm after. I've had light bicycle sets before everyone been happy with carbonbicycle.cc ?

Hookless 650B(27.5er) mtb 42mm wide AM/ENDURO carbon rims tubeless compatible - Hookless Rim - Carbonfan|Carbon Rim|Carbon Wheel|Carbon Bicycle|Carbon Frame|Carbon Bike Part|Mountain bike

mtbr member
    I've got 5 more rims on order. Two of which are 27.5+ i39 asym rims...and not from Carbonbicycle.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I've got 5 more rims on order. Two of which are 27.5+ i39 asym rims...and not from Carbonbicycle.
    Where from?
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive had LB before and now Carbonbicycle. Very happy with both companies.

mtbr member
    I'd be truly surprised if carbonbicycle rims didn't come from the exact same facility as virtually every chinese-made carbon rim. My guess is that the same guy who did the layups to make a Nextie rim on Monday swapped out molds and did CarbonBicycle rims on Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Probably. I care about price and quality and both companies have produced. It takes a month for them to get to your door but if you plan ahead its not bad.

mtbr member
    I'd be truly surprised if carbonbicycle rims didn't come from the exact same facility as virtually every chinese-made carbon rim. My guess is that the same guy who did the layups to make a Nextie rim on Monday swapped out molds and did CarbonBicycle rims on Tuesday.
    I honestly don't even think there are any special molds for any one company (although I'm not dismissing the possibility). If you look at the rims...there is nothing really separating them from one another. Pretty much all the producers of the carbon rims are in Xiamen. The trading companies set up an office there also. All they need to do is go from manufacturer to manufacturer to source their rims.

If they can meet a minimum, there is a good chance the manufacturer will make a mold for you. Now if the manufacturer still owns that mold...then they will produce for whoever asks. These molds are pretty expensive to make...so it's very unlikely that a two or three man operation will be able to afford to buy their own molds.

It's possible for companies like LB and Nextie grew enough to afford their owns molds...at the same time there is nothing really proprietary about their rims either. So I really don't see why they would want to spend money on their own molds. Lol...even if they did have their own molds and shapes...there is a good chance whatever shape they come up with will be copied in no time flat.

The only other thing I can really see possibly differentiating the rim from one another is the layup and resin used...but how the heck are you going to prove that your did indeed use a different layup and resins. I mean...we don't have real proof that the big brand guys do it...besides them telling us that they do.

The asymmetrical carbon rim seems to be the next up and comer...and if they are you'll see them all over Alibaba in the net few months.

These are nothing more than my thoughts...so it should not be taken any other way.

damned rocks...
    ^^^I completely agree with you.
    And I will give an example, I got my rims from Peter, at the time only him had the rims in the configuration that I wanted, asymmetric, 26mm ID, and 3.5mm walls. Couple of months later Nextie or LB, don't recall witch one or if both, had the exact same rim, with the exact same spec's and weight. Coincidence? Not in my opinion...

mtbr member
    I honestly don't even think there are any special molds for any one company (although I'm not dismissing the possibility). If you look at the rims...there is nothing really separating them from one another. Pretty much all the producers of the carbon rims are in Xiamen. The trading companies set up an office there also. All they need to do is go from manufacturer to manufacturer to source their rims.

If they can meet a minimum, there is a good chance the manufacturer will make a mold for you. Now if the manufacturer still owns that mold...then they will produce for whoever asks. These molds are pretty expensive to make...so it's very unlikely that a two or three man operation will be able to afford to buy their own molds.

It's possible for companies like LB and Nextie grew enough to afford their owns molds...at the same time there is nothing really proprietary about their rims either. So I really don't see why they would want to spend money on their own molds. Lol...even if they did have their own molds and shapes...there is a good chance whatever shape they come up with will be copied in no time flat.

The only other thing I can really see possibly differentiating the rim from one another is the layup and resin used...but how the heck are you going to prove that your did indeed use a different layup and resins. I mean...we don't have real proof that the big brand guys do it...besides them telling us that they do.

The asymmetrical carbon rim seems to be the next up and comer...and if they are you'll see them all over Alibaba in the net few months.

These are nothing more than my thoughts...so it should not be taken any other way.
    I'm not dismissing any of what you say, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that at least LB (maybe others like Nox?) does in fact pay to develop and protect their own molds that aren't generic. Some supposition about the slow adoption of asym rims by others. I have no idea whether they can/do enforce it. I agree there isn't much difference in brands or specs.
    I agree that layup configuration is hard to prove. Though naive, I want to believe that companies who are trying to build a real brand beyond an eBay store are legit in their claims. Nextie is pretty vocal about offering a choice of layup angles: 30 and 60, or 45. I'm not sure how you could/would prove that, but it seems like a lot of effort to fake and the cost to reputation is a big gamble if you're caught.
    When I see an Easton ec90 bar on eBay, shipped from china for $30 with poor english in the posting and no effort toward legitimacy, I expect that to be a lie. I have more faith in the truth from a company with employees and a "brand".

Shrug. my opinion is just some dude talking. I want to feel good about my rims so I'm guilty of confirmation bias. For all I know my rims were bought in a lot of 500 from a truckbed in a dark corner of a chinese alley and are no better than the shadiest ad on Alibaba.com and made by some 12 year old high on drugs.

mtbr member
    Pretty much all of what goes on here is pretty much all speculation.

I'm not dismissing businesses have their own molds at all. I mean that is probably the best way of protecting their own designs. I just don't think it makes that much financial sense in putting in tens of thousands on molds for designs that can be potentially copied real fast.

No name carbon bars are something I will never use. Rims, frames, saddles...I'll run...but no way I'll take a chance on a handlebar.

mtbr member
    I broke the only carbon bar I've ever owned. a real, honest, authentic Easton ec90sl riser bar, purchased from Competitive Cyclist. I don't know what caused the failure, but it crumpled and bent where the 'riser' levels off to the 'grip part' when I was bunny-hopping in my driveway setting up a fork. could have been something I did, but it failed, nonetheless.
    I replaced it with a RaceFace Turbine alloy bar.
    I'm not really that jazzed about *ANY* carbon handlebar. It's definitely not logical, but carbon frames are triangles that reinforce themselves, carbon wheels are circles with spoke tension for reinforcement.
    Somehow, a very long lever clamped in a narrow vice with reasonably sharp edges and forces applied to the outermost ends just seems.....nope.

shrug. I'm crazy. I'd probably not have carbon wheels if I could get alloy to perform as well, but it only took one ride to realized that metal can't come close. I figure they're all made in the same building, and there's enough of them out there that my chances of defective failure is low, and a broken rim is probably not catastrophic and crash-inducing. I got lucky with the handlebar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I broke the only carbon bar I've ever owned. a real, honest, authentic Easton ec90sl riser bar, purchased from Competitive Cyclist. I don't know what caused the failure, but it crumpled and bent where the 'riser' levels off to the 'grip part' when I was bunny-hopping in my driveway setting up a fork. could have been something I did, but it failed, nonetheless.
    I replaced it with a RaceFace Turbine alloy bar.

Shrug. I'm crazy.
    I figure they're all made in the same building, and there's enough of them out there that my chances of defective failure is low, I got lucky with the handlebar.
    Your logic is irrefutable. That's why I'd have zero problems with the failure cause the repeat probability is de minimis.. Call Easton and get another. It'll be like my Easton carbon bars and most of the others-repeatedly beat on and no problems.ie. the SC frame video.

I like the fact that each of these small marketers isn't building their own rims. One manufacturer means better quality for all is more likely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Where from?
    +1 on that . . . who has the 39mm internal 27.5 rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    +1 on that . . . who has the 39mm internal 27.5 rims?
    I'll play...RS VR6, care to share?

mtbr member
    Lol...I'll post up when I receive the rims in hopefully in a couple weeks. I don't want to hype a place before I get the rims.

mtbr member
    Ha ok. Found this...another clear clone of LB in almost every way. e45/i39, 460g, $165.
    29er 45mm wide rim all mountain Enduro strong bicycle carbon rim, tubeless ready, “mid fat bike” rim

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-screen-shot-2016-10-27-6.19.33-am.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-screen-shot-2016-10-27-6.20.53-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good find but those two rims are way different.
    The match is with CB rims. Like this one. EXCEPT the weight is 20g lighter. And that means less carbon layers. So consider that and your use.
    [NEW] Asymmetric Mountain bike 29er AM&DH hookless rim 45mm wide - Asmymetric Rim - Carbonfan|Carbon Rim|Carbon Wheel|Carbon Bicycle|Carbon Frame|Carbon Bike Part|Mountain bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Ha ok. Found this...another clear clone of LB in almost every way. e45/i39, 460g, $165.
    29er 45mm wide rim all mountain Enduro strong bicycle carbon rim, tubeless ready, “mid fat bike” rim

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.19.33 AM.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	1102118

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.20.53 AM.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1102119
    You're not going to find much variation between the rims. Maybe some minor differnces in shape and depth. All these guys are in one town. So if they are a trading comapny...there is a good chance that they are sourcing rims from the same factories...and there should be multiple factries to choose from.

As for layup...if you contact the seller...they should offer you a choce of a "AM" or "Enduro" layup. With the Enduro being the heavier version.

When I ordered my rims...they asked what layup, type of drilling, and even Presta or Schrader.

I ordered the AM layup, UD matte finish, with standard drilling (since I wasn't sure what hubs I was going with), and Presta valve holes on all rims.

~$160 seems to be the standard pricing for rims coming straight out of China.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    The asym rimsive seem and purchased were closer ro 200 each with 50 shipping and takes 3-4wks lead time. Ive ordered from both LB and CB

mtbr member
    Right. I posted the pics just to make the "clone" point...sites nearly identical...didn't mean the rims were. Sorry for confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    The asym rimsive seem and purchased were closer ro 200 each with 50 shipping and takes 3-4wks lead time. Ive ordered from both LB and CB
    That EIE 39mm id asym rim is 460g +/- 15g for 165 + 50 shipping for 2.
    So 445g(requested) rims for 380 shipped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Lol...I'll post up when I receive the rims in hopefully in a couple weeks. I don't want to hype a place before I get the rims.
    No one thinks you're hyping anything. We just want to see an i39 rim option in 27.5. You say you ordered some, so what's the harm in sharing the source so we can see our options?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good find, nice to have more potential sources, but those are 29er i39. RSVR6 is saying he found a source for i39 27.5 rims.
    I'm looking for: 27.5 rims with 39 or 40mm internal width, asym, with "slanted" 6 degree drilling or shaped/reinforced spoke holes.

mtbr member
    Yeh I was trying to stay true to this thread being in the 29er Components but I did find this 27.5 w i39 in the Premium section of Nextie...maybe ask them about hole angles. http://www.nextie.net/premium-mountain-plus-NXT27XA45

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    you guys are daring trying some of the no name rims. if those crack on a fast downhill it could seriously hurt. light bicycle at least tests and improves their products and at $400-500 a pair is still cheap for carbon. the $100 ebay rims just seem risky

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you're looking for a group willing to take on risk...well mtbikers are towards the top of the list, obviously.
    Of course you should spec all your equipment for the type of terrain and speed you'll be riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone care to offer some insight on the advantages of the eyelet style rims vs a rounder profile for plus size tires, 2.8-3.0"? I am looking at these two from XMcarbon as I have had good dealings in the past with Peter.

HR742C 2015 NEW design 27.5er mtb carbon hookless rim 42mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

HR740C 650B carbon mtb rim hookless mtb 27.5er rim 40mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

Obviously there is a difference of 2mm in width, 60g in weight, and 5mm in depth but why the eyelet design? I am building up a set of 27.5 plus wheels for my GF. She is 115lbs. I know this is the 29er forum, but this thread is the best resource for chinese rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ask him to clarify the use of 'eyelet'. I don't think those rims have metal eyelets. That seems to refer to the bump and offset spoke hole asym design. Wider is better so I'd go with it and request rims at the minus end of the weight allowance for your gf.

mtbr member
    Just a quick update on my carbonbicycle 35/30 standard shape rims. Road the entire season on them, loving them every ride. My first carbon rims and custom built wheels (using DT350 hubs and DT comp spokes). Held true extremely well. Had a few rock hits, and other than surface scuffs, no damage or problems. So far so good! Would buy again.

www.lightbicycle.com

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.19.33 AM.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	1102118

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.20.53 AM.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1102119
    Hi Matt,

There are a lot of trading companies in China which often try to copy the more popular brands. This is another example of a company trying to clone our site which we spent many years building from scratch so it's unfortunate. It's easy to make a profile that looks similar, but this has very little to do with the performance of the product in comparison to having sound manufacturing processes. I see their logo is eerily similar to a certain high end brand as well...

www.lightbicycle.com
    China produces tens of thousands of carbon rims each month, trust me the same guy isn't making all of the rims or layup schedules It's true that many of the companies are trading companies which definitely adds to the confusion and misinformation. There are also a lot of different manufacturers which may or may not sell to the public. For Light Bicycle, we don't sell our rims through trading companies, but I'm sure you will find a lot of rims that will look similar at a glance.