Page 163 of 248 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 173 213 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 6176
    4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Not really stretch, but seat in and also if they were not totally stress relieved their might be some unwinding. The nipples will tend to seat in the rim and the spokes will seat where they go through the hubs. Generally, you will want to check them around 100 miles and usually there will be something that needs tightening even if they wheels were well built. If they were not well built, you might have lots of tightening.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    So when are the spokes too long? I used the prowheelbuilder.com spoke calculator and a ERD of 603 and all of my spokes stick out about an 1/8" or so. When using the screw driver they bottomed out way before they were tight. They tightened up nicely with the spoke tool and seem fine and I am sure they are, but just curious.
    1st, the prowheelbuilder calculator is garbage.
    They should fix it or take it down.
    Ideally your spokes should end between the bottom of the slot and the end of the nipple.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've just ordered a pair of the wider 29er rims. What length nipples should i use? 12 or 14mm?
    Cheers!

beer is good
    12mm is fine.
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What is the weight for the tubeless ready 29 the page say tubeless compatible but don't specify if that the complete weight

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    What do you use to get the mold of the shape of the good section so you can form the missing section? Looks like some kind of plastic.
    Fiber glass.
    mat g

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    1st, the prowheelbuilder calculator is garbage.
    They should fix it or take it down.
    Ideally your spokes should end between the bottom of the slot and the end of the nipple.
    That is the type answer I wanted to hear. I noticed when calculating using it, that it rounded up and down. It seems good because it does a lot of things for you, but it did worry me somewhat. I am sure my wheels will be fine, but each spoke has extra sticking out which will serve no purpose other an a little bit more rotating weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    LB has a page now on all hub options:
    the more detail about hubs ( MTB hub and road hub ) Light-Bicycle

I ordered my wheels right before they decided to offer Hope hubs and asked Nancy for a custom build with my own hubs. I was traveling to China, so bought a set of Hope hubs in US and shipped to Nancy after I got there. For the trouble I took, I saved about us$20 compared to LB's price with Hope hubs. I paid us$550 including shipping, PayPal fees and some extra spokes/nibbles.

BTW total weight is 1580g. Front is 725g. Also Nancy has been really helpful and replied quickly to my questions as this is my first time building a bike myself and it will be my first 29er.

Cheers, Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    May I ask what you paid and how you ordered them?
    BigWheel,

For a special build with Hope hubs, your best option is to contact LB at sales@light-bicycle.com. Most likely Nancy will reply.

mtbr member
    Tossing my comments in before riding them tomorrow :-D

Got some of the new-process all mountain wide rims from Light Bicycle last month...had my LBS replace my Crest rims on King hubs with them and just got them back today. The shop had built up several of the older ones before and said these were very true and very straight, unlike some previous examples.

My other rims are Crest, Arch and Enve (pre-UST); these are by far the easiest tubeless set up I've had so far and that's with Racing Ralphs that have been finicky in the past. Using two strips of wide Stan's tape and a little help from a compressor I had both tires mounted and sealed in under fifteen minutes. Both stayed on the bead hook when I took out the core to fill them with sealant, so I think the UST shape is holding pretty well.

My Enve rims take two or three layers of tape plus the Bontrager strips; they're already heavier than the Crest or Chinese rims and up there with the Crests when I'm done. Love the way the Enve's ride especially on a hard tail though; I'm hoping tomorrow is a cross between the road bike spin of the Crests plus the stiff, damped ride of the Enve's :-D

Fat & Single
    The ENVE "valley" is deep and the bead is pronounced which makes them harder to set up tubeless but you get a really positive pop when the bead goes on, the "valley" on the LB rims is very shallow, the bead rib is non existent and can be set up easily with a track pump but the pop is weak and if you push the bead/tyre side at low pressures there's an air loss.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    There are 2 designs of ENVE the old and the new. The old were very hard to keep tires in tubeless requiring much taping, etc. the new are designed to run tubeless if desired. Pretty much the rims made in the last year are the new design.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    BigWheel,

For a special build with Hope hubs, your best option is to contact LB at sales@light-bicycle.com. Most likely Nancy will reply.
    Has anyone else bought the rims built onto Hope Pro2 Evo hubs???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    The ENVE "valley" is deep and the bead is pronounced which makes them harder to set up tubeless but you get a really positive pop when the bead goes on, the "valley" on the LB rims is very shallow, the bead rib is non existent and can be set up easily with a track pump but the pop is weak and if you push the bead/tyre side at low pressures there's an air loss.
    Mine are pre-UST, and the pop isn't that confident despite the Bontrager strips. Part of that is the XC rims are narrow, so I don't think the Bontrager strips really get the chance to make their full outer channels for the bead.

Have no idea what the UST Enve rims are like; I've heard they're better but I assume that's what you're talking about.

These are way, way better. I run as low pressure as I can get away with; I pushed on it and they won't burp. At zero psi for sealant it didn't come off the bead hook, which is more than I can say for my Enve's.

Anyway, rode them today and they're exactly what I was hoping for. A little more vertically compliant than the Enve's but super stiff and damped, plus wider. Transformed my Ti hardtail, I'm really impressed and can't wait to try this on my Tallboy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Has anyone else bought the rims built onto Hope Pro2 Evo hubs???
    Just purchased a set. Have not arrived yet.
    Last edited by Taranis; 07-16-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Just purchased a set. Have not arrived yet.
    I looked at their website a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thus far I have nothing but great things to say about the rims. Lightweight and right on the money as to advertised weight. Me and a friend bought 2 sets and the weights were all within about 10 grams, around 388 to 398 grams. They build up VERY true and tight. I used Stans tape only and tubeless valve stems. They pump up easily with an air compressor, pop into place nicely. They ride great and have transformed my bike along with the XX1 group. My bike is one LB lighter now which is very noticeable.
    The rims are stiffer than the notubes Arches they replaced, they are lighter, and wider also. Well worth the money. I will be buying another set to swap out on another set of wheels that I have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I looked at their website a while back.

I forgot to quote the person I was answering...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Well, I rode through a tight, wet, small rock, stream ditch and came out with a puncture. I was following a strong local rider on a foreign trail and thought the worse; crushed the sidewall.

Turns out, it was only a puncture. Threw a canister of air in and it deflated quick. Local rider said "follow me, we'll take the shortcut back to the lot". The shortcut turned into a mile of single track and a mile of road. The tire was empty by the time we hit the road and I was riding the rim downhill at 15+mph.

Tire stayed seated and performed. Dead flat.

Thanks LB and Bontrager rim strips.

ballbuster
    Heya, did you all see some cheaper carbon rims showing up on fleabay?

I don't think I would throw down any cash for a carbon rim other than Light-Bicycle AM 29er rims, but it's nice to see some more competition in this field. Maybe it will bring the LB prices down a bit...

Well, heck... they are pretty dang cheap as it is, for as good as they are. I'm not complaining.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Heya, did you all see some cheaper carbon rims showing up on fleabay?

I don't think I would throw down any cash for a carbon rim other than Light-Bicycle AM 29er rims, but it's nice to see some more competition in this field. Maybe it will bring the LB prices down a bit...

Well, heck... they are pretty dang cheap as it is, for as good as they are. I'm not complaining.
    No link? Or, how's about a seller or brand so at least we can go check out what specific "cheap carbon rims" you're talking about?

---your killing me Smalls!

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Does anyone know if the new Factor series of hubs by Novatec will be an option for LB wheel builds when they are released? I saw them here and with 90 or 96 POE they might be a good option if it didn't raise the overall price too much.

Making a Novatec Hub - Pinkbike

On another note, when will U.S. distribution/warranty be available?

Edit: Does anyone think the hookless rim design could help solve the problem of rims cracking from hitting rocks when running at low pressure?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Does anyone know if the new Factor series of hubs by Novatec will be an option for LB wheel builds when they are released? I saw them here and with 90 or 96 POE they might be a good option if it didn't raise the overall price too much.

Making a Novatec Hub - Pinkbike

On another note, when will U.S. distribution/warranty be available?

Edit: Does anyone think the hookless rim design could help solve the problem of rims cracking from hitting rocks when running at low pressure?
    In the time you posted here you could have emailed light-bicycle and asked them directly.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^I did that as well.

Also, I don't have the email of the person who was posting a few months ago about starting a U.S. distribution center, though I suppose I could send him a PM since I don't know if he still follows this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    ^I did that as well.

Also, I don't have the email of the person who was posting a few months ago about starting a U.S. distribution center, though I suppose I could send him a PM since I don't know if he still follows this thread.
    Let us know what Nancy says about this. I would be interested in a set with the higher Poe hubs. Thanks
    Single Track Rules!