Page 142 of 266 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 152 192 242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 6644
    www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    From the website: The cassette body has 24 ratchet teeth for engagement with the pawls. Each pawl is made from super strong tool steel and has double tips for 12 points of engagement to work in conjunction with the 24 ratchet teeth
    And the web site mentions 6 pawls, all engaging at once. Which means ether 24 stops, or if the pawls can engage the ratchet teeth in two places, 48 stops per cycle. They would tout 48 stops, being quicker than Shimano's decent amount of 32 stops, so it's likely only 24 stops per cycle.

The "POE" is a term used with various meanings. Only turning the cassette body and counting how many stops is the sure way to know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Which bontranger strip is everyone using for the wider 29" rims- asymmetric, symmetric or RXL? Thank you for the help. I'm guessing its:
    #406892 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric (622 x 21). That one seems to be the widest...

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rondigs View Post
    Which bontranger strip is everyone using for the wider 29" rims- asymmetric, symmetric or RXL? Thank you for the help. I'm guessing its:
    #406892 Rhythm Tubeless Rim Strip-Symmetric (622 x 21). That one seems to be the widest...
    Part # 406892 are the ones I ordered

ballbuster
    I decided to go with an AC 15mm front hub (it's lighter and costs less) and a DT swiss 240s rear hub (light, bomb proof and the POE). The last wheel build, I chose DT revo's. This time I'm gonna try the super comps to stiffen the wheels up. Now, just waiting on the new version wider 3K rims...

I'll post the weights after the build.
    Nice! Good choices. I run Lefty forks on my bikes, so I'm pretty much limited to Cannondale Lefty front hubs, DT Swi$$, Project321 ($$$) or Circus Monkey. Reality of it is, there isn't much real world difference between front hubs. It's a shell with bearings stuck in it, with a stick through the middle of it. As long as it isn't made from crappy parts or materials, it's gonna be fine. On a Lefty, there isn't even an axle with the hub. The axle is integrated into the fork.

The Circus Monkey hub I got has been flawless so far. I have about 800 miles on it, even with the original bearings. For $60 landed it's a smoking deal. I only wish it came in silver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What are the rims painted with. Clear coat?
    Hello Kidd,

We have seen your message.
    The rims are on painting line now, the rims can be shipped to you in 3days.
    The production line finished them last week. the QC department have the painting line to repaint the rims. That is why it is delayed.
    Thanks'
    Nancy

mtbr member
    Sure would be nice if Nancy & company could get some 30mm deep 29er rims in the XC width.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Sure would be nice if Nancy & company could get some 30mm deep 29er rims in the XC width.

Do you know what it cost to develop a new mold?? That being said, they should have done this in the first place ....for all their rims. It adds a lot for the safety factor, not easy for it to crack in that direction when the layup is following the rim.....Similar to how Enve is shaped..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here is a close up of the 3k matte finish on a pair of my LB 88mm tubulars for anyone interested;

Dugast | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    Here is a close up of the 3k matte finish on a pair of my LB 88mm tubulars for anyone interested;

Dugast | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Hey, can you give a comment on the build quality and brake track? Do you need special pads, or is it basalt covered so standard pads are fine? Does the drilling look good? I'm thinking of getting a pair of the 38mm road rims... Thanks!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    just like pau11y, I would also appreciate a description of the road rims.

-thanks, xcbiker
    my carbon footprint has cleats

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hey, can you give a comment on the build quality and brake track? Do you need special pads, or is it basalt covered so standard pads are fine? Does the drilling look good? I'm thinking of getting a pair of the 38mm road rims... Thanks!
    I also have a pair of their 38mm pre builts for my CX bike - I have raced on them with Avid Shorty Ultimates with OEM non carbon pads, and the swiss stop yellow carbon pads.

Both pads worked great on the carbon surface of the LB rims (there is a sanded in brake tract). The swiss stop yellows however worked a bit better, there was less brake chatter on the Canti's and the modulation was better, and I read they will handle heat of big descents better. Power is great, have no need for more power - can easily lock up the rear without a ton of lever pressure, and the front stops you fast enough that you would go OTB if you pulled full force.

So far they have held up great, I have about 700km of city riding on their 88mm tubulars on my fixed gear bike (bad quality roads and abuse) with no issues, including riding 5km on a flat tire with no damage to the tubular tub.

I have some seriously muddy cross / gravel grinder races on the 38mm's and the brake tracts look good as new once you clean the pad residue off them.

Would I buy again? Without a question - I have 3 pairs of them now (29er custom build, 88mm tubs custom build, 38mm clinchers pre builts)

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    thanks broadwayline. :-)
    is there a special brake track, like basalt or whatever, other than it being sanded?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xc biker View Post
    thanks broadwayline. :-)
    is there a special brake track, like basalt or whatever, other than it being sanded?
    I couldn't tell you, I'm not sure what basalt is - All I can say is it works well!

trail shredder
    Dec 2011
    okay, thanks. :-)
    I think that basalt is a special material used to improve braking performance and reduce heat. S/o please correct me if I'm wrong.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008

LB 275 30mm rims finally arrived

Workmanship is very good. 375g each. It was packaged very well. Slap a Roval sticker on it and you wouldn't know the difference. Process took a little longer than I had hoped. Lacing them up this week, then putting them on my Carbine I'm building up. Full report soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img-20130328-00518.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img-20130328-00519.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img-20130328-00523.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img-20130328-00529.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    I couldn't tell you, I'm not sure what basalt is - All I can say is it works well!
    Broadwayline, thanks for the feedback! I think I'll get some of these w/ some King R45 and their ceramic bearings and build me a set of PIMP wheels
    I'm on a tossup between the 38 w/ 24/28, or a set of their 25 w/ 32/32... Any thoughts?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

ballbuster
    So what is the latest word on these? Are they shipping the 'new design' LB Wide 29er rims? I got a set last year and have been more than stoked with my Hugi/Lefty wheelset. Light, stiff, nice and wide.

I need (ha! NEED!) another set for my Singlespeed but wanted to wait until the new version was out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The new version is now shipping - but just to be safe I would request the "new process" when you place your order as I believe they are still shipping old process rims also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    So what is the latest word on these? Are they shipping the 'new design' LB Wide 29er rims? I got a set last year and have been more than stoked with my Hugi/Lefty wheelset. Light, stiff, nice and wide.

I need (ha! NEED!) another set for my Singlespeed but wanted to wait until the new version was out.
    I just ordered a set about 2 weeks ago and you can specify whether you want old or new process.
    I asked Brian about the new process vs the old process and his answer was that in theory the new process should be better. But they've only been shipping for about a month and they've shipped 150-200 sets without any complaints from customers/beta-testers(haha) so far. On the other hand, the old process is more mature and I think they have refined the process as they gained more experience and feedback from customers.
    The other thing Brian told me was that they currently have only 1 mold for the new process so the lead time is a bit longer. I think he quoted me 7 days for the old process and 10 days for the new. I just received my shipping notification on Saturday for new process rims so for me the actual lead time was more like 14 business days.
    I already have 3 sets of LB rims, 1 set in each size. For me, the worst quality wise were the 29er rims that I got from them. The rims had the irregular holes like Meltingfeather reported earlier and the joints of the sections were pretty clearly visible and somewhat un-even from the inside. I'm really hoping that the new process will be better.
    Anyways, I will report back when I get the rims later this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just a FYI guys,

They have been using the 'new process' on their road rims for much longer than they have on their 29er wheels.

I have about 700km on a pair of their new process 88mm road rims that I built back in the fall with no issues!

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan View Post
    Workmanship is very good. 375g each. It was packaged very well. Slap a Roval sticker on it and you wouldn't know the difference. Process took a little longer than I had hoped. Lacing them up this week, then putting them on my Carbine I'm building up. Full report soon.
    Also, I EASILY mounted both NeoMotos and Hans Dampf by hand, dry, no lubrication. May need two layers of Gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I just ordered a set about 2 weeks ago and you can specify whether you want old or new process.
    I asked Brian about the new process vs the old process and his answer was that in theory the new process should be better. But they've only been shipping for about a month and they've shipped 150-200 sets without any complaints from customers/beta-testers(haha) so far. On the other hand, the old process is more mature and I think they have refined the process as they gained more experience and feedback from customers.
    The other thing Brian told me was that they currently have only 1 mold for the new process so the lead time is a bit longer. I think he quoted me 7 days for the old process and 10 days for the new. I just received my shipping notification on Saturday for new process rims so for me the actual lead time was more like 14 business days.
    I already have 3 sets of LB rims, 1 set in each size. For me, the worst quality wise were the 29er rims that I got from them. The rims had the irregular holes like Meltingfeather reported earlier and the joints of the sections were pretty clearly visible and somewhat un-even from the inside. I'm really hoping that the new process will be better.
    Anyways, I will report back when I get the rims later this week.
    Lucky you...
    I ordered the new process wider 29" rims on 3/12, was told 7-10 days. On 3/22, they were projected to finish in 4-5 days. I've yet to receive a
    new completion date and/or tracking number.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Lucky you...
    I ordered the new process wider 29" rims on 3/12, was told 7-10 days. On 3/22, they were projected to finish in 4-5 days. I've yet to receive a
    new completion date and/or tracking number.
    Hang in there. Your rims should be done soon too. I looked back through my e-mail and I orderd them on the 12th also. Did you specify anything other than new process? I just told Brian I wanted new process and close to the advertised weight. 3k 32 holes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Hang in there. Your rims should be done soon too. I looked back through my e-mail and I orderd them on the 12th also. Did you specify anything other than new process? I just told Brian I wanted new process and close to the advertised weight. 3k 32 holes
    Same exact setup as you listed. Hopefully they'll ship soon. I've got a brand new titanium 29er waiting for them.

Epic rider

Re: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Just received my "new process" rims, 32 hole, 3k, matte. Requested lightest from normal production. Ordered 3 pieces (a spare..) Weights 387, 392 and 395 grams.
    Rims are looking good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-uploadfromtaptalk1364929098941.jpg  

12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro