Page 14 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Lighter and wider than Enve? Hmz, I'm starting to get worried...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i ride both crests and carbon roval's. i'm not a heavy rider by any stretch, and i try and go easy on the gear... with that being said, my roval's are noticeably a stiffer rim/better ride than my crests. i've managed to bend/ding one or two crest rims in the past year. i did cause a bit of cosmetic damage to my rear roval rim, but that was my fault... hit a rock on a almost flat tire during a race. i'm pretty sure the hit would have eaten a crest. i'm still riding on it with no problems. just damaged the 'cosmetic' outer layer.

my guess is these rims are damn near the same as my roval rims. if i munch and/or crack one... i'll replace it with a crest, it's damn near the same ERD, just swap the rim. yeah.. i could get it warrantied, blah, blah, blah... but why bother? at their pricepoint, it's worth the risk me thinks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    Lighter and wider than Enve? Hmz, I'm starting to get worried...
    Nope, they are coming in 10-40 grams heavier than the ENVE depending on who weighs them and yes they are alittle wider but the profile is 20MM compared to the 32MM of the ENVE. I am sure that the ENVE are much better as ENVE makes some of the best wheels out there but I am sure they will be comparable to other carbon wheels.

I am waiting for graphics before I put in my order but I am not concerned. I think they will be much stiffer than Crest at about the same weight. Even if they do fail down the road the ERD is the same as crest so I can always swap rims latter with the same spokes. I don't feel that I will have to do that but the option will always be there.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

The Human Arrow
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    Nope, they are coming in 10-40 grams heavier than the ENVE depending on who weighs them and yes they are alittle wider but the profile is 20MM compared to the 32MM of the ENVE. I am sure that the ENVE are much better as ENVE makes some of the best wheels out there but I am sure they will be comparable to other carbon wheels.
    FWIW I'm seeing the 24mm (external) ENVE XC rims listed at 385g, and the 30mm AM ENVE listed at 440g...
    Welcome to Enve Composites

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigfootDenny View Post
    FWIW I'm seeing the 24mm (external) ENVE XC rims listed at 385g, and the 30mm AM ENVE listed at 440g...
    Welcome to Enve Composites
    OK I did look at the weight of the XC and I should have looked at the AM with a more comparable width. So they are lighter but the profile is still 50% shorter so I still think they will be Fine.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Cant wait for more pics of laced up wheels.

I also wonder if they could make a 650b version.

mtbr member
    Anyone looking to get these should give a listen to the Two John's Podcast from February 9, 2012 starting at 19:12 there is an interview with Jason Schiers of Enve Composites.

Two Johns website
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous,when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gossejp View Post
    Anyone looking to get these should give a listen to the Two John's Podcast from February 9, 2012 starting at 19:12 there is an interview with Jason Schiers of Enve Composites.

Two Johns website
    I have skepticism both for 150 dollars Chinese carbon rims, and for the opinions of people who sell 900 dollar carbon rims about said 150 dollar carbon rims.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've ridden extensively on Chinese carbon road rims (50mm). I have found them to be a great bargain carbon wheelset, unless a lot of descending was going on. The Chinese carbon rims still have issues with reliable braking surfaces. However, this is taken care of by having disc brakes. I weighed 190-225 lbs (225 when I started, 190 by the time I handed them off to a friend) during the testing of these wheels and they were great all around wheels. I'm very excited to build these 29er rims up into a competitive (as far as weight goes) 29er disc wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    I have skepticism both for 150 dollars Chinese carbon rims, and for the opinions of people who sell 900 dollar carbon rims about said 150 dollar carbon rims.
    Yes!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    marmotman- How long did you ride the Chinese rims? What conditions did you ride in? Tell us everything!
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I rode them for about 6 months, periodically switching out to Dura Ace C24s. In total I probably put around 2,000 miles on them. I hit 60 mph on a straight descent during LOTOJA and they were fantastic for that course (no twisty descents, just pretty straight, fast descents). I primarily rode them in the Bay Area with lots of hills and lots of wind and some rain for good measure. The wheels climbed very wheel, even better than the Kysirium Sl's that they replaced. In the rain, braking was terrible, but as I said, I'm looking forward to the disc versions. In dry conditions, they tended to get real warm which forced me to pull over and wait on long twisty decents (Mt. Tam, particularly the last steep section before dropping down into Sausalito). I must caveat this by saying I used crappy carbon pads. I purchased the yellow swiss stop pads, but never got a chance to use them on the rims. My buddy that has them now is going to try the pads out and see how much of a difference they make. I was very surprised in the stiffness of the wheels. During intervals they performed very well. I've been in discussions with the manufacturer and they have really improved the breaking surface on their tubular verions, but haven't made much improvements with the clinchers. I want to try the blue reynolds pads on the clinchers though, that may make a difference. I first had these on an Orbea Orca and then a BH G5. For flats and any areas without long twist descents I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by marmotman; 02-13-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: adding info

mtbr member
    I haven't listen to the podcast yet, but what do you expect Enve to say about these rims?? Oh, those cheap carbon rims should be a great bargain, go buy them instead of our 900$ rims.

Comparing the weight of these rims to Enve is pointless (apples to oranges when it comes to composite parts). Its pretty well been established that they are untested and nobody here is try to say otherwise.

I'm both nervous and excited to try my rims, which will be here this week. I've already accepted the fact that its a gamble.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Got mine today=) I tried to take pictures but my camera blows... I weighed them on my hanging scale and my Park scale. Weight for #1 was 4.00kg on the hanging and 397gr on the Park. #2 was 3.90kg and 391gr. Sending them off tomorrow to have them built up!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    Got mine today=) I tried to take pictures but my camera blows... I weighed them on my hanging scale and my Park scale. Weight for #1 was 4.00kg on the hanging and 397gr on the Park. #2 was 3.90kg and 391gr. Sending them off tomorrow to have them built up!
    Who are you having build them up? I would like to find a good source to have my wheels built. Don't really want to catch the flack I would get at my LBS for trying these...

Also, what hub do you guys think would be best in-expensive but reliable hub to have good engagement, lightweight and the capability to do a 10mm thru bolt in the rear and a 15mm thru axle up front? Would also like red-ano but not a deal killer.

What are the best spokes to build these with?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I always use Chad at RedBarn. Awesome guy, excellent builder and cuts pretty good deals on parts if you buy from him and have him build them.

Cheap, adaptable, quality and red sounds like Stans hubs to me... Stans or Hope Pro2 EVO line.

Bro Mountainbiker
    The erd of a 29 crest is 605.

The erd of one of these carbon rims accoding to the 3rd page is 603.

Is this correct?

What do yall think would be the spoke length difference between these two rims? 3x?

***Edit***

The difference between spoke lengths would be about .5mm per 1 change in ERD.

So 2 erd difference is 1mm of spoke length change
    Last edited by Sheepo5669; 02-13-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I purchased one rim AM version, 392g. (30mm outside and 23 mm inside)

I have a roval rim to compare. 362g (28mm outside and 21mm inside)

Both have 20 mm profile and both have 603 erd.

I've already order 2 others rim to build it on my powertap and on my 240's rear. The front will be the roval with specialized oem hi-lo flange (OS28mm end cap) Spokes will be supercomp except for the powertap, I will put competition. I expect 1540ish grams for the wheelset.(dt and specialized hub tuned to 172g, both are rws 10mm)

It's my first post so, i will add picture via link: tell me witch one is the roval?

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/404/rimcarbone002.jpg
    mat g

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    I built a set of Hong Fu road carbon road clinchers up a few month ago and they are great. Finish quality was very nice and they've been bulletproof for a 1000 miles. I even hit a pothole hard enough to rotate my bars and nothing. It's the beginning of the end for over priced carbon components. The only people who will be buying the Enve type stuff are the same people who buy and try to justify $400.00 Assos shorts.
    "Do not touch the trim"

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Enve
    Last edited by bt; 02-15-2012 at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    The rims look the same as the Chinese ones. If the rims are $220, that price for the complete set is insane. And they're heavy to boot, 1769g.
    I just purchased two rims from bike impowerment.
    They weigh 400 and 410 with an erd of 594.5mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm keen on these options, although must admit that a) I don't have the balls to take these to an lbs to have built up, and b) i've not ever tried to build a wheel before; meaning that I'll probably consider one of the pre-built wheel options along with some adapters from the UK site linked previously.

As such, my question is: is anyone going down the same path? Who wants to bite the bullet first?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Just take them to your LBS and tell them they're X brand and you just pulled the stickers off. They look nearly EXACTLY like Roval rims, just tell them you debadged them

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    As soon as my rims arrive I'll lace them up. I'm just waiting on them to arrive so I can order spokes and knock it out, no hesitation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    The only people who will be buying the Enve type stuff are the same people who buy and try to justify $400.00 Assos shorts.
    Uh oh, I hope it doesn't work the other way around as I have 3 pairs of Assos shorts . Then again, probably has to do with living in Europe where the prices are a bit different, I could probably buy 3 or 4 Assos shorts for the price of 1 Enve rim.

I've been considering the carbon road rims for quite a while now but haven't gone for them yet, waiting for the experience with these carbon AM rims which hopefully come next week.

Page 14 of 252 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 64 114 ... LastLast