Page 136 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,800 of 8176
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NazZaR View Post
    Hello folks. Sorry for not using search button, but i am looking for answer to a question about chinese carbon rims - are they durable and safe enough? How is the experience overall? Is there any problems that anyone bumped into? Any breaks, crashes?

One local racer has broken 6 carbon rims, and he says that he was careful enough...
    Do some reading
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

Formerly of Kent

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by NazZaR View Post
    Hello folks. Sorry for not using search button, but i am looking for answer to a question about chinese carbon rims - are they durable and safe enough? How is the experience overall? Is there any problems that anyone bumped into? Any breaks, crashes?

One local racer has broken 6 carbon rims, and he says that he was careful enough...
    Read a dozen pages of this thread. Stop being so intellectually lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So a racer is careful not to break his carbon rims !!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    So a racer is careful not to break his carbon rims !!
    Best way I've found not to break stuff on my bike is to not ride it.
    Tantrum incoming
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've read the failure rate is on par with US makers, although I don't think it's a genuine scientific analysis, with the cost being so cheap I decided to purchase a set of 35/30's. I have ridden them on chris king hubs for two weeks as hard as I can on technical trails with max drops of about a foot (terrain limited). I ride AM style in AZ, the most punishing element are the jagged and rocky DH, so far they are eating up the rocks/bumps at speed like a champ (5-25 mph). I'm very happy with them.

mtbr member
    I purchased a set of the cross-country carbon hookless 29er rims with Hope hubs and the pilar bladed spokes from Light-bicycle in the spring of 2014. I weight 195 lbs. The riding where I live is rough and rocky. I've taken them off drops up to 2 feet many times since then and have ridden them hard. They've held up fine.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Best way I've found not to break stuff on my bike is to not ride it.
    I tried that, and got oil leak from rebound assembly.

mtbr member
    Thank you, guys!
    XMCarbonSpeed CS-057 29er custom build
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2293724

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Over the last three weeks I've been borrowing a rear wheel from a friend till my I9 hubs get produced and shipped for my latest LB wheel build. The rear wheel I borrowed is a stans crest so I knew I'd have to ride with care because I know they aren't built to be ridden as hard as I ride my old LB wheelset. They were doing good for the first few rides as I felt out my new xx1 drivetrain but they things went south quickly. After my first ride in Santa Cruz I knoticed a little bit of a wobble so I through it on the stand and trued and brought everything into tension. After a few more Santa Cruz trips the wobble was back but this time there was a 1" dent in the lip from what I can only assume was a rock or root strike. Funny was I was running 5 more psi then normal and never hear a hit. Now in order the get the wheel strait I have to have the tensions a bit off in the bent area and I'm just trying to keep it alive for my race this weekend and a few more rides next week till my hubs arrive. I already ordered him a new crest rim so I can rebuild his wheel before giving it back but I'm really missing my LB wheels right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How's the wheelset made by LB, does it needs tension adjustment on the spokes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    Can you please update if these are directionally drilled?
    First off, thanks for all of the replies.

The s pokes are all drilled down the centre of the rim, so i dont think they are offset drilled.
    I did place spokes in a few of the holes and they are clearly angled in opposite directions, so i would think the correct term is directionally drilled.

Hope to get the time to build them up in the next couple weeks.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by Willyswildride; 01-16-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Sp

mtbr member
    Directionally drilled only side to side, or also fore aft?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyswildride View Post
    First off, thanks for all of the replies.

The s pokes are all drilled down the centre of the rim, so i dont think they are offset drilled.
    I did place spokes in a few of the holes and they are clearly angled in opposite directions, so i would think the correct term is directionally drilled.

Hope to get the time to build them up in the next couple weeks.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Yes the correct term is directionally drilled. What I was trying to convey was the procedure for lacing the wheel will be the same as if the spoke holes were offset left and right of rim centerline. It should be treated as a type B rim.....meaning the first spoke hole to the right of the valve hole will attach to the driveside hub flange. Thus the arrow sticker on the rim. The sticker is unnecessary as you found out by examining the underside of rim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Side to side only.

mtbr member

deleted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Most directionally drilled rims will be done side to side. Since we don't know what the cross patterns will be. It takes some of the pressure away...not all..

If we were to design a set of rims specially for a company like I9...then it would be both angles.

Merendon Junkie
    Are these just rebranded nextie or LB rims? If so, who falls for paying more than double for the exact same product with decals?

Loaded Precision Rolls Wide w/ New X40 Hookless Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Are these just rebranded nextie or LB rims? If so, who falls for paying more than double for the exact same product with decals?

Loaded Precision Rolls Wide w/ New X40 Hookless Carbon Mountain Bike Wheels
    Please do some reading on Chinese carbon rims! Nextie and Lightbike are not manufacturers. They buy the rims from a factory and resell them. Some of them are designed by the seller (Nextie, LB, etc), some by the factory. There are a couple of factories in China that make all the carbon rims, but I don't think anyone knows what factory makes rims for whom. Loaded Precision in most likely buying direct from the factory, which may or may not be the same factory that makes the Nextie or Lightbike rims. From the article, it sounds like they are testing the same rims that are available elsewhere, but when released they will be their own design. Whether that's worth the price is up to the buyer!

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Please do some reading on Chinese carbon rims! Nextie and Lightbike are not manufacturers. They buy the rims from a factory and resell them. Some of them are designed by the seller (Nextie, LB, etc), some by the factory. There are a couple of factories in China that make all the carbon rims, but I don't think anyone knows what factory makes rims for whom. Loaded Precision in most likely buying direct from the factory, which may or may not be the same factory that makes the Nextie or Lightbike rims. From the article, it sounds like they are testing the same rims that are available elsewhere, but when released they will be their own design. Whether that's worth the price is up to the buyer!
    I am aware that LB and nextie are not manufacturers, thats why I included both of them in the sentence as to point to general type of rim (cheap chinese carbon). Would've it had beed better if I said, "Are these just rebranded (fancier stickers) cheap chinese carbon rims of the likes of nextie, light bicycle, carbon bicycle....?"

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    OK, after posting up all that comparative research I have ordered two of the 450g versions of the picture above, and a single 27mm-22mm. The single 22mm inner width is to directly replace a Easton Havon that I busted.... which started this whole affair for me.
    Brian emailed me an acknowledgment of my order, clarified and corrected a spoke hole count mistake I made, and said I will receive an email once the are shipped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

OK, after posting up all that comparative research I have ordered two of the 450g versions of the picture above, and a single 27mm-22mm. The single 22mm inner width is to directly replace a Easton Havon that I busted.... which started this whole affair for me.
    Brian emailed me an acknowledgment of my order, clarified and corrected a spoke hole count mistake I made, and said I will receive an email once the are shipped.
    You ordered from Nextie? I'm interested in getting these too so please update with your impressions of the rims once received. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I ordered a 650b dh 35mm wheelset from LB, nancy told me the weight was 1783g with built hope evo 2 and dt swiss nipples and spokes. Is this the average weight for DH version? I was hoping it was sub 1600g.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    You ordered from Nextie? I'm interested in getting these too so please update with your impressions of the rims once received. Thanks!
    Yep, Nextie.
    I will be sure to post up pics/observations when they arrive. I will add that the bead lock ridges in the rim bed and the 2 year warranty are what swayed me to them. They also have a good following in the fat bike forum. Ordering off their website was very straight forward as well.

mtbr member
    Has anyone found the ERD to be close to the manufacturer specs on your rims? I know to measure each rim before making my spoke calculations and not go by manufacturer spec. I have a pair of 35mm wide rims, and a pair of 30mm rims. Both measured about 3-4mm greater than the claimed ERD. Just didn't know if this was consistent with what other people found on their sets?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mine showed up today... I am building for my CX bike so I went with the XC dimension 29er rims with the all mountain layup for extra carbon. CX wheels see a LOT of abuse. They are 405g and 403g.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-asdf.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Mine showed up today... I am building for my CX bike so I went with the XC dimension 29er rims with the all mountain layup for extra carbon. CX wheels see a LOT of abuse. They are 405g and 403g.
    Hey, is that little line on the left of the top rim in the picture the seam of the 3k weave or is the seam somewhere else?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fefillo View Post
    Hey, is that little line on the left of the top rim in the picture the seam of the 3k weave or is the seam somewhere else?
    Seam the identical mark is on both rims

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Has anyone found the ERD to be close to the manufacturer specs on your rims? I know to measure each rim before making my spoke calculations and not go by manufacturer spec. I have a pair of 35mm wide rims, and a pair of 30mm rims. Both measured about 3-4mm greater than the claimed ERD. Just didn't know if this was consistent with what other people found on their sets?
    My new set of LB 29er 38/31.6 rims has the measured ERD same as the spec - 574. I got the lighter AM version at 450g & 460g.

mtbr member

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a complete wheelset from LB and wanted to hear your opinion / experience if my ~$1000 bucks are better utilized differently in terms of price/performance/reliability (i.e. ordering just the rims, sourcing equivalent components myself and doing a pro or homebuild).

Here's the details of the build:
    Rim: RM29C14 - All Mountain
    Finish: matte 3K
    Holes: Front 32H/Rear 32H
    Spoke: Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
    Hub: Hope 40T PRO 2 EVO 15mm/12*142mm

Thanks in advance for your input.

Note: I'm x-posting to a few of the related LB / chinese rims threads that I sub to, so I apologize if you see this in a few places.
    Last edited by fefillo; 01-29-2015 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So after researching a bit I'd like to know if this makes sense. I'd like to buy the following 26" rims.

wider carbon 26er bicycle wheels mountain bike downhill wheels Light-Bicycle

My question is, if the hub makes sense. I have the following cassette.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...-1050-cassette

This is on a Yeti SB-66, I'll be running a 12x142mm through axle. I was debating whether or not buying chinese carbon wheels or sun ringle wheels (Aluminum). The more and more I look, the more and more I like carbon wheels.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-1.png

EDIT: Hell, can't I just buy the carbon wheels and build them myself? I have a set of front and rear Sun Ringle 28-hole hubs. I would need the spokes though, I have never done that though. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The XX1 free hub is only for Sram 11 speed cassettes.
    Your Sram 1050 (10 sp) fits on a Shimano type free hub.
    2017 Salsa Pony Rustler Carbon GX1
    Upgrades
    - Eagle XO1 12 sp
    - 27.5+ I9/Whiskey 50mm carbon
    - XT Brakes

Rod
    mtbr member
    I had two friends buy some cheap carbon wheels and I'm not sure from which company. These were extremely light road wheelsets, but let me tell you their story. Friend 1 starting breaking spokes on the back wheel. After he broke 4 or so the company sent him all new spokes, he relaced the wheel, and hasn't had problems since.

Friend 2 had brokes start breaking on the front and he's given up on his wheelset. It would be fine if he rebuilt the wheel with larger gauge spokes.

Be weary of the durability of the spokes and that is true of any wheel build.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 14EVOHT View Post
    The XX1 free hub is only for Sram 11 speed cassettes.
    Your Sram 1050 (10 sp) fits on a Shimano type free hub.

Ahhh thanks a lot, I will look into that freehub and look for good combinations with 12x142 through axles at light bicycles or other Chinese manufacturers and compare to aluminum wheelsets.

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I had two friends buy some cheap carbon wheels and I'm not sure from which company. These were extremely light road wheelsets, but let me tell you their story. Friend 1 starting breaking spokes on the back wheel. After he broke 4 or so the company sent him all new spokes, he relaced the wheel, and hasn't had problems since.

Friend 2 had brokes start breaking on the front and he's given up on his wheelset. It would be fine if he rebuilt the wheel with larger gauge spokes.

Be weary of the durability of the spokes and that is true of any wheel build.
    Larger gauge spokes won't make a wheel more durable. Fact.

I don't know why people keep spreading this crap around. It's 100% wrong.

Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

This. Double butted spokes are just as strong as straight gauge. The only reason anyone uses straight gauge is cost and they don't wind up as much as butted spokes.

Spokes can and do break due to uneven and/or low tension causing tension/compression cycles and metal fatigue. Spokes can also have stress points due to sharp angles exiting the rim or hub. I have experienced this myself with aero rims and high flange hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a complete wheelset from LB and wanted to hear your opinion / experience if my ~$1000 bucks are better utilized differently in terms of price/performance/reliability (i.e. ordering just the rims, sourcing equivalent components myself and doing a pro or homebuild).

Here's the details of the build:
    Rim: RM29C14 - All Mountain
    Finish:matte 3K
    Holes:Front 32H/Rear 32H
    Spoke:Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
    Hub: Hope 40T PRO 2 EVO 15mm/12*142mm

Thanks in advance for your input.

Note: I'm x-posting to a few of the related LB / chinese rims threads that I sub to, so I apologize if you see this in a few places.
    Hey Fefillo,

I just went through this scenario a month ago. I decided to get my own parts and just order the hoops from Carbon Bicycle. Another one of the Chinese makers. These ran a little cheaper than LB @ $354 total w shipping for 29" 35mm/30mm 32H hoops.

I then found my hubs, rotors and brake pads, on ebay. Here's my breakdown.

Chinese carbon hoops: 354
    CK ISO front: 185
    CK ISO rear: 312
    XT rotors: 70
    Shimano brake pads: 58
    LBS: dtswiss db spokes + build out + tubeless ready: 80

Total: $1059

So for a little over 1K I got exactly what I wanted. if the parts are exactly what you want, it should save you time, but that's about it. Hope vs. Kings is a long debate.

So far, i love my new wheels.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

It will not make will stiffer, that is just a function of tension, but pretty sure at some point thin spokes just can not support necessary tension. But for all practical spoke sizes, yes, no real difference.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    It will not make will stiffer, that is just a function of tension, but pretty sure at some point thin spokes just can not support necessary tension. But for all practical spoke sizes, yes, no real difference.
    Stiffness not a function of tension... which has only been beat to rotting death a billion times on this forum and been thoroughly debunked for probably longer than you've been alive.
    It actually is a function of spoke gauge... though in such minuscule relative quantities as to be likely imperceptible.
    If you don't know a topic (and you know when you don't know), just leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by wolv275 View Post
    Hey Fefillo,

I just went through this scenario a month ago. I decided to get my own parts and just order the hoops from Carbon Bicycle. Another one of the Chinese makers. These ran a little cheaper than LB @ $354 total w shipping for 29" 35mm/30mm 32H hoops.

I then found my hubs, rotors and brake pads, on ebay. Here's my breakdown.

Chinese carbon hoops: 354
    CK ISO front: 185
    CK ISO rear: 312
    XT rotors: 70
    Shimano brake pads: 58

Total: $1059

So for a little over 1K I got exactly what I wanted. if the parts are exactly what you want, it should save you time, but that's about it. Hope vs. Kings is a long debate.

So far, i love my new wheels.
    Thanks for your feedback Wolv. I'm leaning now towards building myself.

I was kinda looking forward to having the bladed spokes that I get with the LB build, but getting CX Rays or aerolites is too much money.

Edit: this is what I decided: getting rims AND spokes/nipples from LB. Sourcing Hope Hubs and building myself. Will update you guys in ~month when I'm done!

Last edited by fefillo; 01-30-2015 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your feedback Wolv. I'm leaning now towards building myself.

I built a wheel using just a new rim, on a rebuild bike, and researched just barely enough. If you are so inclined and would enjoy the research adn the process, want to buy some tools etc then go for it.

From a efficiency standpoint, find a wheel builder as they are going to know how to measure for spoke length and do it with the right tools. I hate to admit this, but not sure since I don't need to do it regularly if I'm going to mess with it again. I studied the lacing and still had to try it 2x before got it right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Stiffness not a function of tension... It actually is a function of spoke gauge...
    This, assuming properly built and tensioned wheel of course. Thinner rods have more elongation per force (modulus)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolv275 View Post
    Where the heck do you find a shop that will do it at this price including spokes? I rather build myself, but at this price sure let someone else do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's an article to add to the info base.
    Debunking Wheel Stiffness - Slowtwitch.com
    Three different stiffnesses are discussed,

"There are three planes of stiffness that we’re concerned about with wheels: Torsional, Radial, and Lateral.
    Torsional stiffness is concerned with the ‘twisting’ of a wheel – for example, when you accelerate hard in a sprint.
    Radial stiffness is concerned with distortion of the wheel under a radial load – for example, a bump in the road.
    Lateral stiffness is all about side-to-side flex of the wheel from a lateral load – for example, when you climb and rock the bike left-to-right", corner hard and hit rocks and roots.(last added)

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Thanks for the link. To sum it up:

The stiffness provided by your spokes is determined by a few things. First and foremost, the number of spokes, and their thickness (or
    'gauge'). More spokes and thicker spokes make a wheel stiffer both laterally and radially. The Mavic graph below compares two different spokes to illustrate this – one of 1.8mm diameter, and one of 2.3mm diameter:

...Within a 'normal' range of spoke tension, wheel stiffness is unaffected.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    I built a wheel using just a new rim, on a rebuild bike, and researched just barely enough. If you are so inclined and would enjoy the research adn the process, want to buy some tools etc then go for it.

From a efficiency standpoint, find a wheel builder as they are going to know how to measure for spoke length and do it with the right tools. I hate to admit this, but not sure since I don't need to do it regularly if I'm going to mess with it again. I studied the lacing and still had to try it 2x before got it right.
    I've rebuilt a wheel before and it was not too bad of an experience. As I added in an earlier comment, I've decided to get rims and spokes from LB and do my own build.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Ok, this may be the last pic. It is from Nextie. I asked for cross section but this is all they had.

Attachment 952898

They included some clarifications...

"Yes, all rims are with 3K fiber inside rim channel protecting from spoke holes from tearing.

Yes, our NXT29H07 and NXT29H06 rims and are with pre-made carbon rings at spoke bed.

Our NXT29H03 35mm rims are without carbon rings inside, just once to make. (NXT29H03 rim is without beadlock)

Yes, rims are with continuous layer of carbon fiber.

Nope, we don’t use same manufacturers as Light-Bicycle or Carbon Bicycle.

It’s Ok. I understand your worries.
    We offer two years warranty on our rims in case they got cracked because the rims quality."

Well after the pics and clarifications this is what I think I have learned...
    The rims all use 3k on the inside to strengthen spoke holes
    Use of continuous length of carbon fiber during build seems consistent as well
    LB no longer uses rim ring, Nextie still does (mostly)
    LB and CB claim the bead-lock, raised ridges on either side of the rim channel, are not required
    Derby and Nextie claim they make a difference
    Bead-locks may make it more difficult to open the tire up trailside to insert a tube if needed
    Overall rim height varies a lot, sometimes the narrowest one being the tallest...
    CC wide rims 20mm-25mm
    Derby 31mm
    Nextie 25mm-30mm
    LB 20mm-32mm
    6* angle available with LB
    Wide rims weigh more but may ride better with narrower tire than narrow rim with wide tire. Using narrower tire may offset weight concerns yet still improve ride quality. ( I have NOT tested this, but have read it various times)
    CC rims are cheapest, no bead-locks, 1 year warranty
    LB has 1 year warranty
    Nextie 2 year warranty
    These Chinese companies are either setting a new standard for before the sale customer service, or really good B.S. artists.

questions I would like to know is...
    benefits vs negatives of 20mm rim height vs 32mm rim height?
    to angle or not to angle spoke holes?
    has anyone had to file for a warranty claim and how did it go?
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Three different stiffnesses are discussed,

"There are three planes of stiffness that we’re concerned about with wheels: Torsional, Radial, and Lateral.
    Thanks. This article may have clarified an answer to my question about rim height/depth.
    It seems the taller rims will be radially stiffer, and radial stiffness may contribute to increased ride harshness.
    Ride harshness from wheel stiffness is not something I am familiar with, but there is a thread floating around regarding certain carbon wheels (Enve iirc) having this trait.
    Just thought I'd add another data point to consider in the decision process.

MattSavage
    Ride harshness from wheel stiffness is not something I am familiar with, but there is a thread floating around regarding certain carbon wheels (Enve iirc) having this trait.
    And probably not something you'd experience unless you're an experienced roadie, who's switching regularly between low spoke count, lightweight alloy wheels climbing and deep carbon rims for crits and such...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    And probably not something you'd experience unless you're an experienced roadie, who's switching regularly between low spoke count, lightweight alloy wheels climbing and deep carbon rims for crits and such...
    Yes, back to back A-B-A testing is really the only way to improve the signal to noise ratio of a lot of the ride reports. Plus, as I am sure some of you know, the web ends up with a ton of posts from people telling you about how much stiffer carbon rims are than aluminum, but they are often comparing new, properly (hopefully) tensioned carbon rimmed wheels, with their old spanked out loose spoked alu wheels.

That's not to say that carbon rims aren't stiffer, just that without proper testing and apples to apples wheel condition, there are other factors in play.

Discaimer: Under optimal conditions, spoke tension does not play a role in wheel stiffness. The situation I referred to above was where spokes are loose enough to completely de-tension under load, which changes the whole ballgame, as Melting Feather will happily tell you.

BTW, did Winter weather totally kill this thread or what? Where are all of the 38/31.6 rim updates?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Everyone is twisting nipples on their Winter builds.

Tapatalk upgrade is much better!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.