Page 135 of 254 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 145 185 235 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 6350
    transmitter~receiver

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    So.... Customer beta testing. Greeeeaaat. I guess that's why the are cheap. I dunno, I would volunteer for that.
    Volunteer=pay $360 like everyone else
    Nobody's stopping you. Post up the test results.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lokisare View Post
    have you weighed them? Interested to know if there's any weight difference.
    They came in at 380 and 386g

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    They came in at 380 and 386g
    Sweet so at the lower end of the weight range, keep us posted on your build and how it goes!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ViltusVilks View Post
    Ordered road 38mm clinchers with DB hubs for my 29er. Seller said many used them in CX and no problems. Pic/review/weight will come soon
    Waiting for!!

mtbr member
    It would be interesting to see how many people are running carbon rims with inner tubes.....personally I think by running them tubeless, it increases the safety factor because you will know very quickly when the rim is starting to fail. I saw someone post that they installed a tube after their carbon hoops failed and could not tell they were broken. Running tubes is dangerous because when it does fail, it will be catastrophic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    It would be interesting to see how many people are running carbon rims with inner tubes.....personally I think by running them tubeless, it increases the safety factor because you will know very quickly when the rim is starting to fail. I saw someone post that they installed a tube after their carbon hoops failed and could not tell they were broken. Running tubes is dangerous because when it does fail, it will be catastrophic.
    Realistically though, you're a hundred times more likely to crash from a front tire tubeless burp than from a shattered rim that somehow fails worse with a tubular setup. I can't even remember all of the burp induced crashes, ending in injury, that I've personally witnessed. One guy even went off the side of a 30 foot cliff. Despite running tubeless on these rims myself, I consider it to be more dangerous, not safer.

mtbr member
    Just trying to alleviate the "fear" people are posting about carbon rims. You don't hear about burp related crashes......

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have heard many accounts of burp crashes, but almost never heard of a "crash" related to a catastrophic carbon rim failure.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

AZ
    banned
    For the sake of levity, I've never burped a Tubeless Ready tire while using a Bontrager rim strip.

mtbr member
    Just responding to what I believe is the "fear" about going with these light-bicycle rims.... That would certainly solve it, but open up another can of worms......

ballbuster
    I am. I ran mine with Lunar Lite tubes for a while. I was having issues with getting my tubeless to seal up, and I wanted to ride. Meh... tubeless doesn't save any weight over a Lunar Lite anyway. I guess is saves a tiny amount of drag. I don't really get flats very often, so PITA factor is much bigger than the benefit for me.

I can't imagine at the pressures mountain bikes run that safety is much of an issue, or that it even makes a difference. Pressure is pressure, no mater if it is contained in a balloon or gooey sealant by the edges. It's not as if the tube is adding any actual structure.

BTW, I run 25-27 psi with tubes.

As far as safety goes, I've had my front tire suddenly burp out most of it's air right when I need it to stick the most, nearly sending me OTB on several different occasions. IMO, tubes are way safer. Whenever I ride my bike with the tubeless setup, I constantly have in the back of my mind the idea that it's gonna burp on me in the middle of a techy rocky section and dump me on my ass. I trust my carbon rims of mysterious construction and quality control way more than I trust tubeless.

Tubes just work. Hard to argue with that.

Oh, but one rub: Performance Bike discontinued Lunar Lite tubes for mountain bikes. Currently, their lightest is the .65mm thick 'Ultralite' one, not the 0.45mm LunarLite.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

The only time I ever burped a tire was tubeless 1.0 with Mavic 717/Stan's/Pythons.

I have run Bontrager's system ever since starting with Race Modified's, then RXLs and finally the Light Bicycle with the Rhythm strip.

I haven't worried about burping a tire in over eight years.

I run 20psi front and 22psi rear with maxxis ikon, 165lbs.

mtbr member
    Well I cannot imagine that the burping is occurring as often as same people may be indicating. I am assuming they are running way too low pressures. If the burping was such a major problem, they would not be selling as many and it would not be so popular. I run my rims tubed with 30 pounds, I feel very safe running tubeless at 25-30 pounds.

Back to the carbon rims, if you run them as a tubeless setup you should get advanced warning that the rim is damaged. It is unusual for carbon fiber to literally separate in two pieces. It usually starts with a crack .......

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have raced on mine at 19-20 psi (190lbs) in the snow and had no burping issues.

transmitter~receiver
    If the burping was such a major problem, they would not be selling as many and it would not be so popular.
    bulletproof logic
    what level of popularity would allow for "major problem" burping and what level of popularity are they at now?
    Back to the carbon rims, if you run them as a tubeless setup you should get advanced warning that the rim is damaged. It is unusual for carbon fiber to literally separate in two pieces. It usually starts with a crack .......
    What if the rim cracks underneath a layer of tape? or under a rim strip? or underneath tape and a rim strip? or around a spoke hole?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    I have raced on mine at 19-20 psi (190lbs) in the snow and had no burping issues.
    Same results here........I have been running tubeless for years and it realy comes down to the tires. I run Special Ed 2Bliss on these rims and Stan's rims....work great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, I discovered something rather unfortunate this morning, a crack in my rear rim. I was actually about to come on here and give an update saying everything thus far has been great about the wheels, no problems whatsoever. I guess I can't say that anymore... I was just checking over my bike in my bike stand this morning when I discovered it. Who knows when it happened, could have been last ride could have been weeks ago. I have no clue. As far as I can recall I never bottomed out the rim but in their defense I do ride very aggressively, more so than my bike is really designed for. I've only had the wheels about two months but I can't imagine they would warranty this, it's pretty clearly done by myself. Now I just need to decide if I want to replace the rim with another carbon one or if I should just go back to aluminum...
    Pictures:

Will do a closer inspection of the rest of the rim and the front rim when I get off of work. In fact I need to leave for work... 2 minutes ago.

mtbr member
    They work with I9's...why dont you think they will work with yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Boudre0aux View Post
    I wish they would work with my I9 hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Make sure u don't bottom out! I mean if i read things about carbon frames cracking when they knock against rocks etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    Well, I discovered something rather unfortunate this morning, a crack in my rear rim. I was actually about to come on here and give an update saying everything thus far has been great about the wheels, no problems whatsoever. I guess I can't say that anymore... I was just checking over my bike in my bike stand this morning when I discovered it. Who knows when it happened, could have been last ride could have been weeks ago. I have no clue. As far as I can recall I never bottomed out the rim but in their defense I do ride very aggressively, more so than my bike is really designed for. I've only had the wheels about two months but I can't imagine they would warranty this, it's pretty clearly done by myself. Now I just need to decide if I want to replace the rim with another carbon one or if I should just go back to aluminum...
    Pictures:

Will do a closer inspection of the rest of the rim and the front rim when I get off of work. In fact I need to leave for work... 2 minutes ago.
    What have you got to lose??????call them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    bulletproof logic
    what level of popularity would allow for "major problem" burping and what level of popularity are they at now?

Well judging by how many brands of rims tape and valves and liquid out there, not to mention the investment of tires, it would seem to me that there is more than a significant amount being sold. Tire companies would not invest in special molds unless they can recoup the cost. Your guess as to the total sales is as good as mine. But common sense tells you it is very significant.

What if the rim cracks underneath a layer of tape? or under a rim strip? or underneath tape and a rim strip? or around a spoke hole?
    You will never be able to satisfy every situation. So you look at the percentages. Even if it cracks at the spoke hole or valve, if it migrates, it will still give you more of an advance warning then if you do not have it. .....those road aero rims would give you more than ample warning. Take a look at the post below with the cracked rim, I think that would be a normal break.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    Pictures:

We're you running tubes? Or Kidd you setup tubeless?.

AZ
    banned
    If you remove the img tags those photos will not appear in every freakin post.

transmitter~receiver

We're you running tubes? Or Kidd you setup tubeless?.
    Tubeless (see his post in this thread about Bonty rim strips & Nevegals).
    Sometimes theories don't play out.

transmitter~receiver

You will never be able to satisfy every situation. So you look at the percentages. Even if it cracks at the spoke hole or valve, if it migrates, it will still give you more of an advance warning then if you do not have it. .....those road aero rims would give you more than ample warning. Take a look at the post below with the cracked rim, I think that would be a normal break.......
    What percentages? From here it looks like more often than not tubeless does not give any indication of a cracked rim.
    Why wouldn't the sealant seal a crack?
    Not a bad thought, even if presented as fact/reality, it just doesn't play out based on the available evidence.