Page 135 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,750 of 8113
    Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    New Ibis wide and wider offerings(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-ibis_wheels_multi2-1024x682.jpg
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-ibis_wheels_multi2-1024x682.jpg

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Those Ibis seem a little rougher than the Derbys, more like the LB. The Derby cut outs really do look more uniform and better proportioned.
    Although upon closer inspection the Ibis 941 does look pretty clean and uniform.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    And the pics from LB
    the 27mm/22mm
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-27mm-wide-hookless-29er.jpg
    the35mm/30mm
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-29er-35mm-wide-hookless.jpg
    shows that all rims from LB have 3k lay up on the inside to improve spoke holes
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-3k-layer-inside.jpg

No bead lock shoulders on any of these. That 27mm sure is a good looking cross section... but I'm pretty sure I want 35mm, if not 38mm.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I got another one from LB. A good close up.
    I must say that Nancy from LB has set the standard for before the sale customer service with thorough and prompt replies to my questions.
    Here I asked about angled nipple holes, and her reply... "Currently, our rim spoke holes are straight, no angle. If you like +/-6 degree, you can inform us once you place the order. Then we can manufacture accordingly.

It is like attached picture. Please check."
    They really seem super accommodating.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-angle-nipple-hole.jpg

She also stated in her reply..."And for Nextie or other guys, they are different from us. There are quite a few guys emailed us to check this. Please check below statement. If the rims are not from us, we will not offer warraty for those rims.

Anti-Counterfeiting Statement Light-Bicycle

Currently, most factories know our rims are popular. So they copy our rim profile drawing, to make the rims look the same. But actually the inside structure is totally different. The layup schedule and the manufacturing process will make the carbon rims with different strength. It is hard to tell all the manufacturing process here, but you know our rims are popular, and we have got high reputation. We are the leading factory in manufacturing carbon rims. Most factories are always looking at our new products and copy the same design."

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    Here I asked about angled nipple holes, and her reply... "Currently, our rim spoke holes are straight, no angle. If you like +/-6 degree, you can inform us once you place the order. Then we can manufacture accordingly. It is like attached picture. Please check."

She also stated in her reply..."We are the leading factory in manufacturing carbon rims. Most factories are always looking at our new products and copy the same design."
    That tidbit about angled drilling is new to me, thanks for posting it dimitrin! I wonder if the better spoke/nipple alignment would balance out the liability of the nip heads sitting at kind of a funky angle on the inner wall of the rim. With an eyeletted rim or maybe with washers it seems like there could enough wiggle room and deflection to still spread the load across most of the nip head, but with the straight CF inner wall, I'm not so sure.

To those who were reading this thread way back when, it looks like LB has upgraded their drilling capabilities significantly. A while back I recall someone saying that theirs looked like they were drilled by a kid with a hand drill and a dull bit, and now they are hitting 6 degree offsets!

She also stated in her reply..."We are the leading factory in manufacturing carbon rims. Most factories are always looking at our new products and copy the same design."
    I also found this interesting. They still claim to be a factory, when several earlier posters have argued very convincingly that LB is a trading company, one of many, who resells products made by other companies. It is kind of cute that things have progressed to the point where LB is now warning about counterfeit product, copying their designs but not equaling their quality of layup, whereas a year or two ago we were all talking about if these were bootleg Roval rims coming out the proverbial back door of the factory, and whether or not they were as safe and well designed as the big red "S" products. Talk about a brand building milestone!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaiser View Post
    ... It is kind of cute that things have progressed to the point where LB is now warning about counterfeit product,...
    After magicshines were being cloned specifically for us bicyclist nothing they do over there surprises me

Always Learning
    Built up during April of 2012...

AM Chinese Carbon Wheels

Almost made it a full 3 years, but after heavy use a spoke and nipple pulled through the rear wheel rim.

Time to replace...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got another one from LB. A good close up.
    I must say that Nancy from LB has set the standard for before the sale customer service with thorough and prompt replies to my questions.
    Here I asked about angled nipple holes, and her reply... "Currently, our rim spoke holes are straight, no angle. If you like +/-6 degree, you can inform us once you place the order. Then we can manufacture accordingly.

It is like attached picture. Please check."
    They really seem super accommodating.

She also stated in her reply..."And for Nextie or other guys, they are different from us. There are quite a few guys emailed us to check this. Please check below statement. If the rims are not from us, we will not offer warraty for those rims.

Anti-Counterfeiting Statement Light-Bicycle

Currently, most factories know our rims are popular. So they copy our rim profile drawing, to make the rims look the same. But actually the inside structure is totally different. The layup schedule and the manufacturing process will make the carbon rims with different strength. It is hard to tell all the manufacturing process here, but you know our rims are popular, and we have got high reputation. We are the leading factory in manufacturing carbon rims. Most factories are always looking at our new products and copy the same design."

I have both Derby and LB rims, but had to laugh at the irony of a Chinese company posting a statement like that.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

transmitter~receiver
    Isn't this ironic?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Very nice to see the angled spoke holes. Wonder when they will offer offset spoke beds. I know there are asian companies making some rims with this feature for other companies.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    one of trading companies told me that their product and LB come from same plant.
    Is LB manufacturer or trading company?
    who to believe ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The rims may be coming from the same plant but that doesn't necessarily mean there all the same. Each trading company could be having the rims made to THEIR specs.

change is good
    Sep 2004

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Built up during April of 2012...

AM Chinese Carbon Wheels

Almost made it a full 3 years, but after heavy use a spoke and nipple pulled through the rear wheel rim.

Time to replace...
    I'm remember the discourse regarding the purchase of these rims. I bought a set of the updated versions. Do you plan to obtain another LB rim? Other than the alloy nipples disintegrating, my ENVEs have held up well. Caught a stick but the rim seems fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Do you plan to obtain another LB rim? Other than the alloy nipples disintegrating, my ENVEs have held up well. Caught a stick but the rim seems fine.
    Yes, I will be ordering a new rim to replace. I might just do front and rear while I am at it to a bit wider version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you think the wider rim version, "how wide" will be a problem on your 429c with rear clearance?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Ok, this may be the last pic. It is from Nextie. I asked for cross section but this is all they had.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-nextie-rim-pics.png

They included some clarifications...

"Yes, all rims are with 3K fiber inside rim channel protecting from spoke holes from tearing.

Yes, our NXT29H07 and NXT29H06 rims and are with pre-made carbon rings at spoke bed.

Our NXT29H03 35mm rims are without carbon rings inside, just once to make. (NXT29H03 rim is without beadlock)

Yes, rims are with continuous layer of carbon fiber.

Nope, we donít use same manufacturers as Light-Bicycle or Carbon Bicycle.

Itís Ok. I understand your worries.
    We offer two years warranty on our rims in case they got cracked because the rims quality."

Well after the pics and clarifications this is what I think I have learned...
    The rims all use 3k on the inside to strengthen spoke holes
    Use of continuous length of carbon fiber during build seems consistent as well
    LB no longer uses rim ring, Nextie still does (mostly)
    LB and CB claim the bead-lock, raised ridges on either side of the rim channel, are not required
    Derby and Nextie claim they make a difference
    Bead-locks may make it more difficult to open the tire up trailside to insert a tube if needed
    Overall rim height varies a lot, sometimes the narrowest one being the tallest...
    CC wide rims 20mm-25mm
    Derby 31mm
    Nextie 25mm-30mm
    LB 20mm-32mm
    6* angle available with LB
    Wide rims weigh more but may ride better with narrower tire than narrow rim with wide tire. Using narrower tire may offset weight concerns yet still improve ride quality. ( I have NOT tested this, but have read it various times)
    CC rims are cheapest, no bead-locks, 1 year warranty
    LB has 1 year warranty
    Nextie 2 year warranty
    These Chinese companies are either setting a new standard for before the sale customer service, or really good B.S. artists.

questions I would like to know is...
    benefits vs negatives of 20mm rim height vs 32mm rim height?
    to angle or not to angle spoke holes?
    has anyone had to file for a warranty claim and how did it go?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For me the LB after sales was just as good as before. I received a scratched rim and got an instant reply after i send a picture of the rim + the serial number. A new one is on its way.

mtbr member
    Im using a set of 29er nextie rims 35 wide and 28 deep. Been pretty impressed with them even though ive not given them a proper test yet.

I know this is a little OT as this is a MTB forum but im looking to buy a set of road carbon rims and i think ill go with nextie again. Theres a build option of having a basalt braking surface, Is this worth going for?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are your 35mm wide 28mm deep rims the newer U shape rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Are your 35mm wide 28mm deep rims the newer U shape rims?
    These are the ones i have

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I really like them, I think this is the rim I will get!! How long did it take then ordering? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I really like them, I think this is the rim I will get!! How long did it take then ordering? Thanks!
    Im in the UK and they took roughly 2 weeks to arrive at my house. Over a week in customs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    I know this is a little OT as this is a MTB forum but im looking to buy a set of road carbon rims and i think ill go with nextie again. Theres a build option of having a basalt braking surface, Is this worth going for?

Thanks
    Yes, go with the basalt, As I understands it, having the basalt reduces the likelihood of issues due to heat build up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I purchased a set of 35mm/30mm from Carbon Bicycle on Dec 20th, they arrived in AZ 7 days later. They look to be either the same company (LB) or reside on the same city block...? The price was a little cheaper than LB. They look great, and are currently being built.

Bead hook-less rims carbon 29er light bike rim tubeless compatible, outer width AM 35.00/30.00mm & XC 27.00mm - carbon rim (beadless) - Carbon Bicycle, Carbon Frame, Carbon Rims, Carbon Wheels, Carbon Wheelsets, Carbon Mountain Bike, Carbon Road Bike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    because they are trading companies since manufacturer doesn't deal with single orders from west.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has anyone built up the new LB 38/31.6 rims yet? I think I may pace an order soon and it'd be cool to see pics of some built up.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Has anyone built up the new LB 38/31.6 rims yet? I think I may pace an order soon and it'd be cool to see pics of some built up.
    I placed an order for these rims a couple days ago. Expect delivery in a couple weeks. Really looking forward to getting them built up and installed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    I placed an order for these rims a couple days ago. Expect delivery in a couple weeks. Really looking forward to getting them built up and installed.
    Cool, did you go with the new decals or no?

EMBA Member
    No decals. Told them I wanted UD matte, with no stickers or anything else on them. I got 32 hole rims in the heavier DH version.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    No decals. Told them I wanted UD matte, with no stickers or anything else on them. I got 32 hole rims in the heavier DH version.
    Exactly what I plan to order. Curious to see how long delivery takes as my last order took a month

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonggi View Post
    Exactly what I plan to order. Curious to see how long delivery takes as my last order took a month
    My order of LB 38/31.6 rims took 10 days to arrive in SF Bayarea over the New Year (expected sooner if not for the NY holiday). UD matte 32 holes and no decals. They look really nice. I will take time to build up the wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How durable are the lb 650b 35 wheelset and also how good is the hope hubs?

Mr. Knowitall

Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    How durable are the lb 650b 35 wheelset and also how good is the hope hubs?
    Those rims take more beating than the first AM rims. Really happy with mine. Hope hubs are some of the best for function and reliability for a reasonable price tag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Spoke Direction - Looking for some help here, I received my new rims this week. I went with 35 mm outer from Xiamen Newtopbike. They came recommended from someone in my bike club.
    I have built a few wheels ober the years but never seen a rim with a "spoke direction" sticker. I am thinking that it has something to do with the lead spoke orienting to the direction of the CF weave, but I could be wrong

Can anyone confirm what this refers to?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Those rims take more beating than the first AM rims. Really happy with mine. Hope hubs are some of the best for function and reliability for a reasonable price tag.
    Did u get the am or dh version and what is the weight?

mtbr member
    May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    My order of LB 38/31.6 rims took 10 days to arrive in SF Bayarea over the New Year (expected sooner if not for the NY holiday). UD matte 32 holes and no decals. They look really nice. I will take time to build up the wheels.
    Cool. Thats exactly what I want as well. You have good taste.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyswildride View Post
    Spoke Direction - Looking for some help here, I received my new rims this week. I went with 35 mm outer from Xiamen Newtopbike. They came recommended from someone in my bike club.
    I have built a few wheels ober the years but never seen a rim with a "spoke direction" sticker. I am thinking that it has something to do with the lead spoke orienting to the direction of the CF weave, but I could be wrong

I believe it means that the holes are directionally drilled. That spoke must connect to the hub flange on that side. DO NOT GET THIS WRONG....it will destroy the rims if you do not....

mtbr member
    Its just an arrow to point out the obvious. It is a "type B rim". Meaning the first spoke hole is offset to the right.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Its just an arrow to point out the obvious. It is a "type B rim". Meaning the first spoke hole is offset to the right.
    I think it is directionally drilled, not offset.
    Directional drilling is actually pretty easy to miss unless you know what to look for and remember to check it. It's not very obvious.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I think meltingfeather has the right idea unless it is visibly offset.

Tapatalk upgrade sucks. Be sure to rate this bloatware so they fix it!
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    I think meltingfeather has the right idea unless it is visibly offset.

Tapatalk upgrade sucks. Be sure to rate this bloatware so they fix it!
    Thanks for the replys.

mtbr member
    Question about the different finish options on those rims (the external visible weave):

Is it just cosmetic, or are some finishes more durable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I think it is directionally drilled, not offset.
    Directional drilling is actually pretty easy to miss unless you know what to look for and remember to check it. It's not very obvious.
    Is directional drilling not treated the exact same way as is offset when it comes to lacing?

mtbr member
    Is directional drilling not treated the exact same way as is offset when it comes to lacing?
    I think with offset you have to install the rim on the hub in a certain direction (the rim is directional), but with offset drilling you can flip the rim 180 and still find the correct positions (rim is not directional)

mtbr member
    I built a I9/ Light Bike 29er wheelset before the hookless rims came out. Original rims were Flows and the ERD matched without a problem.

My question now is if there is a carbon 650b rim that also matches Flow EX ERD
    (562) so I can re-use the same I9 spokes, just swap out rims, as I did with the 29er.

Looks to me like the new wide rims ERD is closer to 530/540.

Thanks for any info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    I think with offset you have to install the rim on the hub in a certain direction (the rim is directional), but with offset drilling you can flip the rim 180 and still find the correct positions (rim is not directional)
    I'm not talking about offset rims. I'm talking about spoke hole offset left and right which is correspondingly laced to either right or left flange. Directionally drilled is the same principle wherein the spoke holes appear to be drilled right down the centerline of the rim but when viewed from underneath are angled right or left. The same principle applies when lacing a wheel whether it is offset left or right or drilled left or right. Nothing changes.

mtbr member
    Very easy to check...we have to do it with every rim we ship since ours are all directionally drilled. Drop a spoke and nipple in any of the leading holes and tip left and right to see which way it "leans" to the furthest. If it is directionally drilled, it will not be the same. Double check by verifying the next hole is the opposite.

transmitter~receiver
    Treated the same? Not if figuring out how to lace the rim is a part of lacing.
    Same level of obviousness relevant to the phrase "point out the obvious?" No.
    The difference in obviousness between offset and DD is the point of my post because it is a mistake that many inexperienced wheelbuilders make. Even experienced wheelbuilders can get caught if a company (*cough* Stan's *cough*) changes the way they drill rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik Carbon View Post
    Very easy to check...we have to do it with every rim we ship since ours are all directionally drilled. Drop a spoke and nipple in any of the leading holes and tip left and right to see which way it "leans" to the furthest. If it is directionally drilled, it will not be the same. Double check by verifying the next hole is the opposite.
    I've never done it on these DD carbon rims, but with Velocity rims, which are directionally drilled, it can be seen by lining up the access holes and spoke holes in the rim. When aligned they clearly point to one side or the other.
    Of course, I have a lot of experience shooting compound bows, which may give me an advantage.
    I don't know how the drill rigs are tooled in the case of the carbon rims, but it makes sense for the holes to be aligned on the axis of the drilling direction if they use a single bit to drill both holes, as Velocity does.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Willyswildride View Post

Can you please update if these are directionally drilled?

mtbr member
    Hello folks. Sorry for not using search button, but i am looking for answer to a question about chinese carbon rims - are they durable and safe enough? How is the experience overall? Is there any problems that anyone bumped into? Any breaks, crashes?

One local racer has broken 6 carbon rims, and he says that he was careful enough...
    XMCarbonSpeed CS-057 29er custom build
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2293724